• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 7, Ys I&II Chronicles officially announced for PSP

Just saw the Y's 7 scans... not feeling Adol's sdesign so we'll just have to wait and see...

Yeah yeah I know it's actually "Ys" I just wanted to piss you guys off :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Aeana said:
090327_ys_02_9609981.jpg

090327_ys_04-thumb_1786348.jpg
Ys1&2 has a nice font.

duckroll

Aeana said:

Looks nice in direct feed! The colors are pretty vibrant. I hope it looks as good in combat though. Those were the ones that looked iffy in the mag. Falcom better get a trailer online asap! Come onnnn!

Tucah

you speak so well
Ys VII art :\

But whatever, if it's still amazingly fast and fun, I don't really care, it's still a new Ys.

Aeana

Aisha's art isn't bad.

If you want bad:

090327_ys_01-thumb.jpg

Plus, he's supposedly 23 now (was 17 in Ys 1), but somehow manages to look way younger than he used to. :(

Aeana said:
Falcom updated their weekly special. It's the Ys Origin LE, containing the soundtrack and the Super Arrange version, plus the visual book, and the really interesting thing: "Ys 7 note."

I really wonder what the note is. :eek: Could just be a notebook, could be something else. I'd totally go for it if I didn't already own the game. :\

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck why do I have to have no money right now fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Phthisis

Brandon F said:
What was so bad about Ys DS? Was debating snagging it soon.

I just finished it up myself yesterday, actually. It was the first time I had a played a Ys game and I actually enjoyed it, so much so that I'm going to track down Napishtim and will probably buy the PSP version of 1 and 2 if they ever come out here (and 7, too).

I think a Ys purist would probably argue that the DS 3D is kind of ugly, and the camera is zoomed in a little closer than normal, insofar as I understand how it compares to the previous 2D versions of the original Ys.

Aeana

Phthisis said:
I just finished it up myself yesterday, actually. It was the first time I had a played a Ys game and I actually enjoyed it, so much so that I'm going to track down Napishtim and will probably buy the PSP version of 1 and 2 if they ever come out here (and 7, too).

I think a Ys purist would probably argue that the DS 3D is kind of ugly, and the camera is zoomed in a little closer than normal, insofar as I understand how it compares to the previous 2D versions of the original Ys.
The major gripe is with the combat. The original versions don't have an attack button -- they play just like the stylus mode, only with a dpad. It changes the games for the worse, in my opinion.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Aeana said:
The major gripe is with the combat. The original versions don't have an attack button -- they play just like the stylus mode, only with a dpad. It changes the games for the worse, in my opinion.

Oh if that's the case, then no big deal. I prefer the attack button over the awkward push/pull of TG16 Ys combat. I just worried there were more egregious problems at play.

How did the music turn out? And the characters art? Is that luscious 80's-esque look to the NPC's still there in the pubs and hospitals?

john tv

Aeana said:
Falcom updated their weekly special. It's the Ys Origin LE, containing the soundtrack and the Super Arrange version, plus the visual book, and the really interesting thing: "Ys 7 note."

I really wonder what the note is. :eek: Could just be a notebook, could be something else. I'd totally go for it if I didn't already own the game. :\
35a4p4i.jpg

It's a notebook. :)

The character art in Ys 7 looks like it was drawn by a Korean intern. What is that crap? :/

Brandon F said:
What was so bad about Ys DS? Was debating snagging it soon.

I didn't mind the attack button thing. At first...it bugged me since I played the Turbo CD...but you get used to it.

I'm almost finished with it. My biggest gripes are the music (It is obviously not going to sound as good as the CD Redbook or whatever it was). The 3D backgrounds are meh. I also don't really like the dungeon design anymore. It just seems like aimless wandering (of Ys) versus the structure of Zelda.

I'd still give it a B or 7.5/10.

However, I will buy the new PSP games. And the Naphitism was decent on PSP. I'm guessing the PC version is night and day (with the music, graphics, etc).

Before I played an Ys game it seemed odd that people were complaining about button based combat in an action rpg. After playing most of Ys 1 on Virtual Console I can't imagine what playing the DS version would be like. I'm still interested in giving Legend of Ys: Books 1 & 2 a shot but I just imagine the gameplay being such a different, slower experience.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Uuuuugh. Not feeling Ys VII at all. Breaks my heart to see the art and style murdered so.
Chronicles being a revamp of Eternal/Complete is pretty crushing too.
Though, if the PSP arrange version of the soundtrack is on par with what was done for Felghana, they'll be by far the greatest versions of I & II.

Not as great as they could have been, though. :/

Edit - Also, ignore Dreamwriter. He's come into a bunch of recent Ys/Falcom threads to pathetically attempt to convince people that the DS versions of Ys I & II are very faithful to prior incarnations. I probably liked the DS conversions more than most here, on GAF, and am as much an Ys fanboy as anyone here; but you'll never catch me saying that they're anything more than merely decent/functional remakes. They are far from spectacular in every possible sense.

I am such an Ys whore. I ordered it. Thank you for ruining me financially Falcom.

I've also got Ys I & II Complete on the way as well, and I'll prolly end up getting Chronicles, despite being a port of the Eternal games.

Look what I do for you Ys, LOOK.

And you give me Fat Dogi as thanks. :(

Mejilan said:
Edit - Also, ignore Dreamwriter. He's come into a bunch of recent Ys/Falcom threads to pathetically attempt to convince people that the DS versions of Ys I & II are very faithful to prior incarnations. I probably liked the DS conversions more than most here, on GAF, and am as much an Ys fanboy as anyone here; but you'll never catch me saying that they're anything more than merely decent/functional remakes. They are far from spectacular in every possible sense.

I'm not saying it's perfect, or awesome, or the best it could be. But everyone always says "Don't buy it, we don't want people supporting Falcom in the US or companies that bring their games over here. The game is crap." But nobody ever gives me any major way in which the game is far worse than Ys Eternal. What I keep hearing is, the balance is bad (on Nightmare balance seems about the same as the Turbografx version), the music is bad (most of it is the same music as the PC Ys Eternal games, with perfect sound quality), and the controls suck (but everyone somehow also says the controls aren't as bad as they thought? Felt fine to me). Oh, and they don't like how experience gained from fights doesn't go down as they level up (guess what, only the Turbografx version did that).

What I guess is people are remembering the Turbografx version (especially as it just came out for Wii VC and all Ys fanboys would have gotten it immediately - I know I did) and complaining that this just isn't what they remember, and that it's blasphemy to require a button press for the first hit in an attack. But I've played most versions of Ys (Book 1 at least), and the DS port is not a bad port, and as I said, is pretty darn close to Ys Eternal Complete.

Maybe had they made "Nightmare" difficulty "Normal", people wouldn't be so harsh on it? But then again, Ys 1 was pretty difficult at times compared to modern games, and maybe they decided to start the game on an easier note for the more casual, non-Ys-fanboys.

Mejilan

It's not even CLOSE to Ys Eternal/Complete.
The graphics are unbelievably bad, and the view too zoomed in.
The music is hugely downgraded.
The gameplay is unbalanced and out of whack (especially Ys I) and the new attack mechanics are complete half-assed and largely unsatisfying.

The DS games are extremely low-budget remakes handled by a crappy development team. The only redeeming value to the package is Atlus' translation (which also has it's own fair share of flaws), and the fact that both games were bundled into one cart, whereas in Japan they were sold separately.

Legacy of Ys on the DS is all kinds of "not bad" but never does it approach "good," and, at best, is merely a pale shadow of what Ys I & II Complete have to offer on the PC. I love Falcom as much as anyone here, but the DS conversions are yet another example of them outsourcing their properties (with complete indifference as to final quality) to shitty devs. They'll let anyone tamper with their games so long as they get paid for the privilege.

And of course, all of this has been discussed to death in the thread dedicated to the DS ports, but you always mysteriously vanish whenever it comes time to really discuss the game, only to pop in a few days/weeks later in another thread, as if we HADN'T already discussed all this to death. ;p

Aeana

Here's a tiny page preview for anybody who didn't manage to find the Ys 7 scans:

dps444_03.jpg

No, it's not a scan. It's from Dengeki's issue summary page. Hopefully, Falcom will release more stuff soon.

Fat Dogi. :(

Dreamwriter said:
I'm not saying it's perfect, or awesome, or the best it could be. But everyone always says "Don't buy it, we don't want people supporting Falcom in the US or companies that bring their games over here. The game is crap." But nobody ever gives me any major way in which the game is far worse than Ys Eternal. What I keep hearing is, the balance is bad (on Nightmare balance seems about the same as the Turbografx version), the music is bad (most of it is the same music as the PC Ys Eternal games, with perfect sound quality), and the controls suck (but everyone somehow also says the controls aren't as bad as they thought? Felt fine to me). Oh, and they don't like how experience gained from fights doesn't go down as they level up (guess what, only the Turbografx version did that).

If this and this or this and this sound the same to you, I don't know what to say.

Dreamwriter said:
What I guess is people are remembering the Turbografx version (especially as it just came out for Wii VC and all Ys fanboys would have gotten it immediately - I know I did) and complaining that this just isn't what they remember, and that it's blasphemy to require a button press for the first hit in an attack. But I've played most versions of Ys (Book 1 at least), and the DS port is not a bad port, and as I said, is pretty darn close to Ys Eternal Complete.

I've played every single version of Ys 1 and 2 that's ever been released, and I play Ys 1 & 2 Eternal at least once per year, sometimes more. It has nothing to with remembering anything. It sounds like you're the person who doesn't remember what Ys 1 and 2 Eternal are like. Give them another play, please.

firex

There's just more of Dogi to love,
after Adol runs away breaking the hearts of all the local village girls,
that's all.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Aeana said:
Aisha's art isn't bad.

If you want bad:

090327_ys_01-thumb.jpg

Plus, he's supposedly 23 now (was 17 in Ys 1), but somehow manages to look way younger than he used to. :(

Im sorry....that is pure fail there :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It doesn't look bad to me (character art aside). Ys VI didn't look anything special to me, either.

firex

oh god what have they done to Adol

I was joking earlier about Ys being dumbed down for consoles, but now it's being uglified for consoles. how is Adol going to make random village girls fall in love with him for being a manly badass hero if he looks like that?

I just completed Legacy of Ys this morning...and the bubble popped...my nostalgia isn't the same as the reality of the quality of the series. The gameplay and level design in the original Turbo CD titles weren't the greatest. I think the voice acting, cinemas, red book audio, zeldaness and okay story are the only thing that manage to hold any relevance 19 years later.

What did they change in the PC versions from the original? Did they redesign the levels? And do the PC versions have Adol bumping into the enemies still?

I'm going to play Ys7 and YsI&II Chronicles on PSP...

Not trying to come in and rain on the celebration of new Ys...as I still hold the series in high regard and welcome new additions.

Spiderjericho said:
Not trying to come in and rain on the celebration of new Ys...as I still hold the series in high regard and welcome new additions.

if you ever get the chance, give Ys Oath in Felghana a try! its abolutely delicious.

The thing that really bothers me about Ys 7 so far is that every other Ys release since the Eternal versions have had very consistent artwork. This really does look like a hackjob...

Spiderjericho said:
What did they change in the PC versions from the original? Did they redesign the levels? And do the PC versions have Adol bumping into the enemies still?

You mean of 1&2, or the newer games? Legacy was based on the PC 1&2, though the PC version kept the bumping into monsters (if you play Legacy with stylus, that's actually a lot like playing Eternal with mouse). With the recent games, starting with Ys 6 (The Ark of Napishtim), they've made the entire games in 3D with actual fast-action sword slashing and jumping and stuff. And it has vastly improved the gameplay and feel - Ys: The Oath of Felghana (as Augemitbutter said) is totally awesome, and pretty much my favorite PC game...ever (that game is a total redesign of Ys 3 in the Ys 6 style).

Here's a trailer for Oath in Felghana

Aeana

Although it's not like the outsourced mainline games turned out horribly or anything. Both Ys 4s are good, and Ys 5 is... passable. Still better than the other licensed crap.

Dragona Akehi said:
Hence the "Adouche" and "Fat Dogi"...

I think I should start a club with Aeana, the "Hot Dogi Appreciation Club".
I'm in!

Enk

makes good threads.
Ugh, another classic series' artstyle gone the way of a more modern cartoony anime style. The game itself looks fine and seems very Ys like to me. There appears to be a lot of outdoor environments which is already a step up from Origins, and the boss battles have that epic Ys look to them. I'm sure once we see the videos of Adol and friends speeding through the areas hacking and smacking and whacking we'll all be gushing over this.

As far as Ys I & II, I can deal with straight up ports since the PC games were nearly flawless in the first pace. Now they should really consider porting over Felghana. That game deserves more of an audience.

Mejilan

In that extended vid, when it cuts off and then into another song... that one almost sounds familiar at times. It has a very Ys Origins-ish sound to it at first.

Tucah

you speak so well
This being bumped made me thing something was announced at E3 :(

Song is great, can't wait to get my hands on this (even without understanding a word :lol)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Zapages said:
So Awesome!!! So so awesome... I so wish it was releasing ont he PC... I don't own a PSP. :(
Falcom has talked about a PC version. It may be an eventual port of Ys SEVEN or it may be an companion game, they weren't exactly clear on it. But for now, all we have is the PSP version.

Top Bottom