• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed (2015, Full Reboot, PC/PS4/XB1, Ghost) Reveal Trailer

Though in a lot of ways F&F is far past its early beginnings, its not about just pure racing anymore, its about the over the top stuff and stunts. So i hope people are not expecting that from NFS and i hope Ghost games does not indulge them.

Because NFS tried to do that after UG and MW an failed.

it is but i think a lot of people who enjoyed those first ones came back for 6+7 and it renewed interest in the originals too

And of it was 60fps then once the first screenshots dropped everyone would be whinging about the graphics because 60fps games don't look as good in stills as 30fps racers.

Haha, yeah, and arguing against them results in "I can't see the difference" or "30fps racers look better and more cinematic".

Plus we don't know how big this open world will be and its a pretty vague statement overall. Is it a 1080p 60fps big world NFS or 1080p/900p 30fps big world NFS locked with those graphics or pretty close to it. Although all that will be determined by the engine, how big the world is , the graphical quality, development time and they are cutting it close with that release date. So something has to give, unless they find a work around.

Unless the newest version of frostbite helps big time with that, which we have not really seen in full after the tease with Battlefront at Star war celeb. Which looked amazing balls but will it be real time by release time is the million dollar question.

Also if the PC version is a crappy console port with limited options for graphics tweaks and such. Then i jump ship...maybe for sure.

Nokterian

The Need for Speed was my first game on CD-Rom once we got the upgrade.

So ahead of it's time.

https://youtu.be/Lym_62f19zo

Played the hell out of that one.

But this is my most played

NFS_III_Hot_Pursuit_(PC,_US)_cover_art.jpg

Also this was before internet was something big i downloaded modded cars from dial up modem back then before broadband came it was glorious.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Also this was before internet was something big i downloaded modded cars from dial up modem back then before broadband came it was glorious.

Best NFS ever.

Dialing my best friend to run against each other was such an incredible experience.

The Need for Speed was my first game on CD-Rom once we got the upgrade.

So ahead of it's time.

https://youtu.be/Lym_62f19zo

Haha La Bouche!

NFS III was my first NFS and I played the hell out of it on Playstation.

DOWN

Banned
12G9NLrVNnNfhu.gif

I want the game to feel like a mix of that gif and Fast and Furious with underbody lights plz

Slowdive

Banned
New info from GAME, they say it's out September.

Discover the nocturnal open world of urban culture car culture, driven by 5 unique ways to play and win, in this thrilling reboot of Need for Speed™. Carve your own unique path, via multiple overlapping stores, gaining reputation on you journey to become the ultimate icon.

KEY FEATURES

Rich Authentic Customization:

Build a car that reflects your character through extensive visual and performance customisation.

Five Ways to Play: Need for Speed returns with 5 unique ways to play, Speed Style, Build, Crew and Outlaw, enabling you to earn reputation and ultimately win your way.

West Coast Urban Setting: Discover a nocturnal open world of urban car culture you never knew existed.

Ventura Bay is your urban playground; from downtown, the harbour and the canyons, the city comes alive when you sleep.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/need-for-speed-634008?pageSize=40&categoryIdentifier=737262&catGroupId=

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I am 100% IN

Open world
Deep Customization
Night time only.

In other words, this is the sequel to Underground2 I have been waiting years for.

FUCK YES

Fingers crossed you actually have to earn better cars, found it a bit lame in the new Most Wanted, you just find it on the map and hey presto. No sense of accomplishment or reward. Hopefully you earn dolla in races to afford them, also pink slip races.

dukie85

Fingers crossed you actually have to earn better cars, found it a bit lame in the new Most Wanted, you just find it on the map and hey presto. No sense of accomplishment or reward. Hopefully you earn dolla in races to afford them, also pink slip races.

The new Most Wanted was probably one of my biggest NFS disappointments. Just didn't feel like MW very much at all.

SliChillax

The new Most Wanted was probably one of my biggest NFS disappointments. Just didn't feel like MW very much at all.

It's amazing how much a difference the name can make. I would have loved the game if it was called something else but I couldn't fully enjoy it because of what I was expecting from the Most Wanted name. Maybe it's a similar situation here where they're not giving the game a subtitle?

dukie85

It's amazing how much a difference the name can make. I would have loved the game if it was called something else but I couldn't fully enjoy it because of what I was expecting from the Most Wanted name. Maybe it's a similar situation here where they're not giving the game a subtitle?

It was a fun game, don't get me wrong, but about the only thing it had in common with the other Most Wanted was the blacklist. I hope this one is much more Underground or Most Wanted than just simply a NFS posing as a popular one.

makes sense to me

I like the sound of Urban car culture and extensive visual/performance customization!

It seems however that there won't be any drift or drag racing?

There will be drift and drag events.

Come on now its street racing that would be retarded to leave out in any fashion.

Edit:

Can you say how this will manifest itself in the game in terms of the kind of things you'll be getting up to?

Ghost Games Marcus Nilsson: Need for Speed is about speed. Races are absolutely there. People still want to be first across the finish line. But there are also a lot of different ways people go into this car culture. We go to drift events. We look at a lot of the stuff happening with Gymkhana. You might not drift on a track. You might drift on the streets. What type of events do they have? We're trying to dial into how people enjoy their cars in real life, and try to make something interesting from a gameplay perspective with that.

They mentioned drifting in the Eurogamer interview.

Drag racing will probably be in too.

I do hope that there's a place for drag racing where there's something to separate each racer. In the Underground games you could draft off of another racer since barriers weren't in place. Which kinda defeats the whole purpose of drag racing.

Yeah, a good racer ... but not really Most Wanted, the arty farty cut scenes grated on me quickly too.

I hope they stick to drag races like the Underground's, just accelerating, shifting and switching lanes, no full control of the car.

SliChillax

It was a fun game, don't get me wrong, but about the only thing it had in common with the other Most Wanted was the blacklist. I hope this one is much more Underground or Most Wanted than just simply a NFS posing as a popular one.

Definitely it was lot's of fun but it got stale quick. Also the horrible DLC thing turned me off completely
*oh look I just found a car, press Y to jump into car, tells me to pay for it*
fuck off

saladine1

There will be drift and drag events.

Come on now its street racing that would be retarded to leave out in any fashion.

Edit:

Ahh, there it is lol..
Good to know.

Whilst i'm not a 'drifter' (primarily because I'm not good at it) I appreciate that there will be different race modes to suit different players. It's all about options imo.

This would also extend to the performance/visual customization aspect. While some might not like wide-body kits and deep dish wheels, the option would be there for something a little more subtle.

Now, what customization/modifications would people like to see?

The audio in that was incredible. Sounded like the tires were mauling the asphalt.

To be honest, nearly all NFS feature some great audio work. Black Box for example have done some great work with UG,UG2,MW,Pro Street..etc.
What I liked about Black ox's approach was while the cars sounded nuts and and a litlte over the top (I like that!) the actual authenticity of what you would hear on the streets was captured brilliantly.
Pro Street in particular had some of the best turbo spool and BOV's implementation. Also, the raw resonance emanating from the exhaust sounded amazing. Not only that, but I believe that Black Box's Pro Street is the only game that I know of to feature 'knocking' or 'judder' when taking off in a gear that's not matching revs!

Im hyped, but very afraid.

Underground/Carbon and Wanted were one of my fav racing games ever, but times were dif. Im afraid most of the custom parts will be behind DLC paywalls and what not. Highly customizable games always leave me scared shitless, they can easily ruin a very capable game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I hope they bring back 1on1 drag race's
Loved them in Underground, and can't imagine what they'd be like on current gen consoles.

BlackPanthea was invited to Ghost Games studio to check the game out , the early build anywas at the beginning of this year. Not much detail given though so take want you can from his reaction, but everyone's reaction more or less is to be hyped if they get a sneak peak of a new game especially if its from a franchise they like. How things have been improvement and whatever has been changed since then is hopefully for the better or it could be a really bad game now who knows ;p...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1lhPm4NRvQ

All the talk about the story being such a big deal is worrying. I don't see them pulling it off, short of a miracle.

Also won't racing at night the whole a) make it hard to see where you're going and b) generally just get old after a while?

All the talk about the story being such a big deal is worrying. I don't see them pulling it off, short of a miracle.

Also won't racing at night the whole a) make it hard to see where you're going and b) generally just get old after a while?

Street racing happens at night (Car have head lights for a reason and customizing them with more or better head lights helps) not in the blazing sun if they can help it. So no it won't get boring, it was the same in underground. They don't really talk about the story just some big words and that's it. The rest is all about the cars and racing..etc

So i don't know where you got that notion from.

SliChillax

We're not expecting or even wanting an award winning story. It's just that having some kind of narrative makes things more interesting like Underground 1 and 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover, Pro Street etc.

Top Bottom