• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

MGR

So my T300RS arrived yesterday and I spent the evening swapping out my trusty G25.

Initial thoughts
The wheel has a nice feel and weight to it and the buttons are well laid out for PS3/PS4 use (obviously). Most of the buttons have a nice click but the D-Pad is not great. Requires too much force to click but maybe it'll 'bed-in'. The right shifter paddle has a noticeably longer travel and is further from the wheel than the left paddle. Not what I expect for a wheel of this cost :/ Although I think I can make a very simple mod to make the right paddle a similar (shorter) throw like the left. The shiny metallic blue 12 o'clock band on the top of the wheel looks tacky as shit. It's annoying me so much I'm going to find a matte white replacement. The pedals look cheap but seem to have a similar weight to the G25 pedals. Maybe stiffer brake spring.

The wheel
First I set up the T300 on my PC to check calibration etc. The wheel's center position was just the tiniest amount off but resetting only takes seconds. Jumped into GT6, BMW E46 M3, Nurburging - and wow, the force feedback is A LOT stronger than the G25. Annoyingly so and completely unrealistic. I eventually ended up dialing most of the FFB torque out and turned the sensitivity way down. It definitely feels different to the G25 but more on that later.

The pedals
During the calibration/testing process on the PC the brake had a very noticeable deadzone of about 15-20% travel before the pot engaged and registered any braking force. I tried them 'as is' in GT6 but my brain couldn't get over the fact I had to push the pedal so far before any braking force occurred. Just awful :( Like fuck-this-shit-throw-in-the-bin awful. Bit of googling found others that shared similar pains, but had rectified by pulling apart their brand new pedals apart and resetting the pots position. Fortunately only took about 20mins of cursing under my breathe to get them reset and calibrated with no deadzone. Tried GT6 again and it's magic by comparison. Totally comparable to the G25 pedals and I feel like I'm home again. Definitely not the build quality of the Logitech pedals though.

The real test
So by the time the wheel is calibrated, pedal deadzone sorted and sim rig modded to fit, I'm kind of cranky it's taken so much cocking about
and money
to replace a perfectly functioning wheel. I start lapping the ring again and the wheel is definitely quieter than my G25 but it's not silent either. Still makes typical motor whining noises when flicking left and right. The pedals now feel good and I can balance the car with gentle squeezes of the right foot. Within a lap or two and a few tweaks of the FFB settings we're ready to give it a real crack.

The first big difference is the T300RS offers much less motor resistance compared to the G25 and meaning you can make very quick steering corrections. The wheel feels much more precise and this seems to translate into a feeling of reduced controller input lag which is always a good thing. I feel like my steering inputs are more rapidly being conveyed on screen and that combined with the quicker steering response means I can really throw the car around and recover from more ridiculous angles than I could before. Everything just feels more immediate and connected to the game.

After a bumpy start I'm very happy with the T300RS so far. That said, I would've run my G25 to death if I had the option. And you may still get that option but only time will tell.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Main question remains.

Which one(s).

i did ask especially for g25/27.
but i dont know if andy referred to thos specifically or to logitech in general.

I think that they need to wait for sony to give the green light. either sony will announce this themself (maybe e3) or the wheels are allready working and only some legal things need to be finalized.
But thats just tales from my ass.

ruttyboy

Sony is not the root of the problem, period. I know you would love to have one instance to blame, but it does not work lile that. Machine is tied with NDA, I am tied with relations to my sources, but I can tell - as I told many times in various threads - it is complicated situation.

What I would wonder is what will happen with "legacy" support if Logitech is indeed planning its comeback to gaming peripheral market.. I find that theorethical answer very... Controversial.

Main question remains.

Which one(s).

So reading between the lines, Logitech plan a new wheel, but due to it using different technology to the G25/27 (and to increase sales of the new wheel) will not be offering legacy support.

Well... shit.

Jilt

i did ask especially for g25/27.
but i dont know if andy referred to thos specifically or to logitech in general.

I think that they need to wait for sony to give the green light. either sony will announce this themself (maybe e3) or the wheels are allready working and only some legal things need to be finalized.
But thats just tales from my ass.

Nice one!

True, he answered the G25 / G27 question as a cliffhanger.
Hope it will be true.

hesido

So reading between the lines, Logitech plan a new wheel, but due to it using different technology to the G25/27 (and to increase sales of the new wheel) will not be offering legacy support.

Well... shit.

If they are coming back with new wheel, we can indeed kiss our "old gen" wheels goodbye.

The more concerning part is, are the people getting new wheels will have them work with the PS5's and Xbox Ultra's? Is this going to be how it is every new gen from now on?

If they are coming back with new wheel, we can indeed kiss our "old gen" wheels goodbye.

The more concerning part is, are the people getting new wheels will have them work with the PS5's and Xbox Ultra's? Is this going to be how it is every new gen from now on?

Fighting games have struggled with the same from generation to generation.

I just recently triplemodded my joystick to support PS3, X360 and now PS4. But doing this for an arcade stick is of course a lot easier than a steering wheel and pedals :p

Sucks but they want to sell new peripherals instead of supporting legacy ones. Just gotta hope some of the more popular games include driver support like the one in Mortal Kombat X for PS3 controllers. Can't be PS4 Operating System level but game-per-game support.

paskowitz

I suspect Logitech is going to introduce a new wheel, but keep the pedal and shifter unit from the G25/27 compatible (and sell them both with the new wheel). I could see them selling a new pedal set (better springs and brake dampening but largely the same as the G27). The original G25/27 would not be compatible with anything.

Logitech is in an interesting place (IE trouble) right now. They are no longer manufacturing mice for 3rd parties, their iPhone/iPad accessories line is making less and less money and overall they are just not doing as well as they used to. They had a nice run with the mobile accessories line for a couple years, now with iPad/tablet sales leveling, numbers are flattening.

If they decide to go back into FFB wheels and console gaming accessories in earnest, I would imagine it would have to be at a slightly higher price point. I would also have to assume they would likely wait until the next GT game on PS4.

/Conjecture

hesido

I suspect Logitech is going to introduce a new wheel, but keep the pedal and shifter unit from the G25/27 compatible (and sell them both with the new wheel). I could see them selling a new pedal set (better springs and brake dampening but largely the same as the G27). The original G25/27 would not be compatible with anything.

Logitech is in an interesting place (IE trouble) right now. They are no longer manufacturing mice for 3rd parties, their iPhone/iPad accessories line is making less and less money and overall they are just not doing as well as they used to. They had a nice run with the mobile accessories line for a couple years, now with iPad/tablet sales leveling, numbers are flattening.

If they decide to go back into FFB wheels and console gaming accessories in earnest, I would imagine it would have to be at a slightly higher price point. I would also have to assume they would likely wait until the next GT game on PS4.

/Conjecture

Makes a lot of sense. Though I'd hope they'd come up with a Driving Force GT class wheel (cheap with compelling force feedback) because it would fill a nice position and would be very competitive, as new-gen wheels only seems to support basic vibration at its price level. It would basically force price reductions for those vibration wheels only wheels and might potentially sell well. I know a few people who don't want to pay as much or more than a console for force feedback wheels.

Anyone have a simple breakdown what's the main differences between the T500 and the T300?

besides the obvious paddles and PS3/PS4 compatibility.

Internally they are different but similar. Both belt driven but the newer T300 has a brushless motor. T500 is more powerful but with more friction/drag, it never feels it can go as light as a T300 when needed.

I'll have a T500/GTE rim/pedals for sale soon if anybody on UK is looking for one.

Internally they are different but similar. Both belt driven but the newer T300 has a brushless motor. T500 is more powerful but with more friction/drag, it never feels it can go as light as a T300 when needed.

I'll have a T500/GTE rim/pedals for sale soon if anybody on UK is looking for one.

thanks!

Cheers, dabs.com has them for £220 so I'm pretty tempted. What is the likelihood that I will regret it a month from now as another wheel gets announced?

Paid about £220 for mine and it's worth it. There's some cheap mods to stiffen the brake and add a progressive feel which I'd advise looking into.

First one I bought was an early model that died, TM sent a brand new replacement base within a week so their support was good too.

So, with the announcement for Fanatec support on ps4 I bought some new pedals for my 911 turbo s together with pcars.

After a (successful, as stated by the utility) firmware update I can't get the wheel to work.

After the boot sequence it's just stuck, with the led display only showing "8.8.8".

Any ideas gaf? I followed instructions and everything went smoothly. But now it just doesn't work. Can't access any platform specific mode.

Didn't want to create a new thread just for this.

Jilt

The rumours are getting bigger and from better sources!

https://twitter.com/logitechg/status/603951757199351809

image-2.jpg

Zeknurn

Double posting because news
Gamereactor posted the box shot of the G29 along with some information
q3L5zmo.jpg

Sources close to Logitech have offered up some details on the firm's newest racing wheel.

Reportedly the G29 will be licensed to Sony for use on the PS3 and PS4, meaning the wheel won't be compatible or released for PC. There'll only be one model of the wheel on offer - with a RRP of 189 Euros - with a gear shift add-on to be sold separately.

An official announcement looks set to be around mid to late June, potentially putting a reveal right slap in the middle of E3, with a release possibly following shortly after.

SmokyDave

the wheel won't be compatible or released for PC
...for the eight minutes it takes for drivers to appear.

I'm assuming there'll be no G27 support on PS4 then. No fucking way am I buying a second wheel just to play GT7 so I reckon that's my console racing days over.

Zeknurn

I don't see why they wouldn't add PC support unless Sony is at it again. Also this goes against the earlier rumors that said it would have PC support and that an Xbox One version would also be released later.

...for the eight minutes it takes for drivers to appear.

I'm assuming there'll be no G27 support on PS4 then. No fucking way am I buying a second wheel just to play GT7 so I reckon that's my console racing days over.

I made that decision a few weeks ago when there were no rumors about possible G27 support for PS4. There are more than enough racers on PC so personally I won't miss anything.

Momentary

Banned
There's no way this wheel won't work on PC. I was going to buy this wheel, but if that's the case I'll just buy a superior quality wheel. If that's not the case I'll just cheap out and buy this.

Undead

189 Euros is tempting but no PC support, is that even possible? like with a chip inside or something to recognize what it's connected to.

Jilt

Reportedly the G29 will be licensed to Sony for use on the PS3 and PS4, meaning the wheel won't be compatible or released for PC

Hmm, why would it mean that?

The T300RS is licensed for the PS4, but it has PC support, doesn't it?!
That would mean a major setback for a lot of people and not a very smart thing to do for Logitech.
Do they even want to sell products?

189,- is a very good price though!

Waveset

I just received a refund for a faulty Thrustmaster wheel and abysmal service from dabs.com. Seeing the Logitech rumour's turned my mood around.

Say, that G29 looks pretty slick, and $189(?) isn't too bad at all. Now I kinda hope they patch in support for the DFGT just so I can sell mine more easily to subsidize the G29! lol

Nhutty

I'm hoping the new G29 shifter will be compatible with the G27s. Would love a new updated and less clicky shifter to play Project Cars on PS4 with!

Any new rumors or info about new Xbox One wheels with FFB?

The only two available are both over $300, was hoping to get something around $200.

KTS2448

Yea after buying the G27, I returned it back to amazon after hearing all this G29 news. Unfortunate timing.

I will say, The shifter didnt add anything for me. I found myself using the paddles more and it was so much more efficient.

Side note: Any legitimacy to the rumor of an X1 version of G29 being released? Forza 5 is quickly becoming one of my favorite racers.

MGR

Copying my post from the Pcars thread.
Amazon.de jumped the gun re: the G29

Link now removed:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00YUIM2J0/

But Google cache...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...nsole/dp/B00YUIM2J0+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

nzlOPMi.jpg

The ultimate racing simulator steering wheel for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3
Force feedback with two motors for realistic driving simulation
Smooth, quiet and precise steering maneuvers
Durable components made of leather and metal

Product weight: 5 Kg
Product Dimensions: 43.7 x 32.2 x 30 cm
Model Number: 941-000112
Product Weight incl. Packaging: 7 K

LnajlPi.jpg

GQdBeeB.jpg

gUSGnZe.jpg

YuSL2EZ.jpg

nJABb7o.jpg

fyFIjI6.jpg

SmokyDave

Oh god, I never even considered that. The shifter for the G27 is so, so shitty.
You ham-fisted monkey-pawed people need to learn how to caress a shifter delicately into place, rather than grabbing it and slamming it wherever it will fit ;)

(Seriously though a stronger neutral / return spring would be a godsend!).

Yep, there's no way this wasn't happening. Those No-PC rumors always seemed ridiculous.
Even if they hadn't supported it, drivers would have been available on week one. The PC finds a way.

Top Bottom