• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 27, 2009

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Donos said:
where is pal charts 28 ? oO. did i miss something ? (i see the new charts but no new thread)

I think these PAL threads are finally in the coffin, totally :-(

Btw, yay for Grand Slam Tennis still up there this week, awesome!

Dash Kappei said:
I think these PAL threads are finally in the coffin, totally :-(

Btw, yay for Grand Slam Tennis still up there this week, awesome!

I think the dreadful holiday/demographic arguments just turned everyone off from the PAL discussions. That, and the lack of big releases.

marc^o^ said:
Good to see Grand Slam in the UK and French top 5: it's the best motion game ever released, what I always expected from a wii game.

I think this one sentence testemonial has secured a sale from me. I'm not really a big tennis fan, but Wimbledon engrossed me this year, and I've been looking for a reason to get one of the M+ games other than Wii Sports Resort before it comes out so I have the device for each of my controllers! Cheers!

Dash Kappei

Hey Sho_, don't give doicare and the anti-minions that much credit :p

Yeah that's it

BishopLamont said:
Shame The Conduit didn't debut higher, hopefully it has the usual 2nd week bumpa instead of dieing off.

Did we have any Wii core title at all making >#20 and then raise the week after?
Can't think of a single one, but I'm cloudy on the matter...

doicare

Dash Kappei said:
Hey Sho_, don't give doicare and the anti-minions that much credit :p

Yeah that's it

Did we have any Wii core title at all making >#20 and then raise the week after?
Can't think of a single one, but I'm cloudy on the matter...

Despite what some might want to believe, the reasons why these pal threads are dead are:
1. Nobody can be bothered to take over from posting them each week in the first place.
2. We very rarely if ever get actual hardware or software numbers which severely limits what can be discussed.
3. We are half way through this generation and the 'natural order of things' has pretty much been set in stone and nothing has really changed in a long while.
4. Very few huge software releases have happened this year compared to last.
5. Nearly all vaguely interesting topics of conversation about pal sales have already been discussed and anything the slightest bit controversial gets jumped on by fanboys and no decent conversation can take place.

Of course i could post an up todate weekly weighted chart comparing spikes and dips in the charts to various things :D

doicare said:
Despite what some might want to believe, the reasons why these pal threads are dead are:
1. Nobody can be bothered to take over from posting them each week in the first place.
2. We very rarely if ever get actual hardware or software numbers which severely limits what can be discussed.
3. We are half way through this generation and the 'natural order of things' has pretty much been set in stone and nothing has really changed in a long while.
5. Nearly all vaguely interesting topics of conversation about pal sales have already been discussed and anything the slightest bit controversial gets jumped on by fanboys and no descent conversation can take place.

Of course i could post an up todate weekly weighted chart comparing spikes and dips in the charts to various things :D

Number 3 is very very wrong, supposedly.

doicare

lowlylowlycook said:
Number 3 is very very wrong, supposedly.

In terms of the next generation of consoles coming out sooner then was first thought or the sudden drop in worldwide wii sales to the point where it might not be number 1 anymore in the near future?

doicare said:
In terms of the next generation of consoles coming out sooner then was first thought or the sudden drop in worldwide wii sales to the point where it might not be number 1 anymore in the near future?

The latter but DS sales have also supposedly plummeted.

doicare

lowlylowlycook said:
The latter but DS sales have also supposedly plummeted.

hmmm yeah, it's a bit of a weird one. The way this generation has panned is nothing like how i thought it would. I thought the 1,2,3 order from the previous generation would carry over to this one, even tho the wii had a very, very good start i thought it's 'novelty' would wane and the order of things would still be the same, but for over 2 years it didn't. Then as soon as i get round to thinking the wii is definitely going to be number 1 and is going to smash all kinds of records it's popularity starts to diminish. I'm not ready to call 'doom' on the wii just yet as it still hasn't had a single price drop, new colours or fully got into the swing of the 2nd/3rd generation of nintendo AAA games and worldwide it still easily out sells it's competition, but my original thoughts of this generation still might come true.

gtj1092

doicare said:
5. Nearly all vaguely interesting topics of conversation about pal sales have already been discussed and anything the slightest bit controversial gets jumped on by fanboys and no decent conversation can take place.

I would make that its harder to troll as the number one reason. Without numbers its harder to be "Haha you suck x sold 15 and y sold 10, I'm greater than you." Its insane something can barely sell one and half time more than something else but one is doing gangbusters and the other is bombing. Just compare the size of the three regions sales threads and what the majority of the post in each one are. Some of it has to do with where most people in GAF live but for example last months NPD moved really slow because it was harder to come up with "PS3 is doomed or Sony Sucks" post when the 360 barely out sold it for the month and when infamous actually made a top 10 debut. I'm too lazy but I would say over half the post in an NPD are either "haha sony" "wii third partys cant sell blah blah" "OMG DS" "such and such defense force"

Dash Kappei

doicare said:
When i say might happen i'm talking about a really reeeeeaally long shot here.

Yeah but c'mon, I don't think even you can consider in the realm of possibility that PS3 gets the #1 spot when it's all said and done.

You'd need a PSP in Japan kind of thing to happen wordlwide and for the Wii to stop selling altogether, again, worldwide.

It seems more than a loooong shot to me, I don't think we need a Garaph's chart comparison to have a glimps of how far fetched of an idea that is... no, scratch that, I meant that we don't need a chart to tell us when something's actually impossible to happen.

Carl

Transformers on PS3 was a bit poo seeing as i saw a ton of PS3-specific advertising on that game...Hmm

Several multiplatform games on PS3 outdid their 360 counterparts, that's extremely surprising. Good to see Fight Night holding at the top on 360 with PS3 version not far behind.

Busaiku

bttb said:
02 [WII] EA Sports Active (108,000)
So that's 770.9k between US and UK through June.
Might be 1 million worldwide, going by this.

EA should be able to meet their expectations this month.

Dash Kappei

Busaiku said:
So that's 770.9k between US and UK through June.
Might be 1 million worldwide, going by this.

EA should be able to meet their expectations this month.

Can you give us that figure?

bttb said:
Source = Famitsu / GfK Chart-Track
LTD figures not available.

UK Charts: June, 2009
01 [WII] Wii Fit (115,000)
02 [WII] EA Sports Active (108,000)
03 [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (86,000)
04 [360] UFC 2009 Undisputed (77,000)
05 [PS3] Infamous (77,000)
06 [360] Prototype (69,000)
07 [360] Red Faction: Guerrilla (63,000)
08 [PS3] UFC 2009 Undisputed (62,000)
09 [WII] Mario Kart Wii (42,000)
10 [PS3] Prototype (40,000)

Mar-Dec 2008
Jan-Apr 2009 / May 2009

bloody hell @ mario kart wii, thats over 2 million

edit - and wii fit even higher, wow

manualmartin

Neo Member
Hi, I'm new at Neogaf as a registered user, but been a frequent visitor. I like the PAL chart treads since they're a great compilation of all European charts and an indicator of whats popular around in Europe.

I registered to be able to contribute, since I've seen some charts missing. For a starter the Swiss chart (http://www.siea.ch/charts/) for week 28, which unfortunaly lacks a multiformat chart:

DS
1. POKEMON PLATINUM
2. MARIO KART
3. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS
4. ICE AGE 3
5. MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES

PC
1. SIMS 3
2. ANNO 1404
3. LANDWIRTSCHAFTS-SIMULATOR 2009
4. CALL OF JUAREZ 2
5. AGE OF EMPIRES III (GOLD)

Playstation Portable
1. FIFA 09 (PLATINUM)
2. MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE
3. WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 (PLATINUM ALPINE)
4. HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE
5. NEED FOR SPEED - MOST WANTED 5-1-0 (PLATINUM)

PS2
1. FIFA 09 (PLATINUM)
2. HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE
3. NEED FOR SPEED UNDERCOVER
4. ICE AGE 3
5. WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 (PLATINUM)

PS3
1. CALL OF JUAREZ 2
2. VIRTUA TENNIS 2009
3. FIFA 09
4. FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4
5. PROTOTYPE

Wii
1. EA SPORTS GRAND SLAM TENNIS
2. MARIO KART - INCL. WHEEL
3. WII-FIT WITH BALANCE BOARD
4. WII PLAY + REMOTE CONT.
5. VIRTUA TENNIS 2009

XBOX 360
1. CALL OF JUAREZ 2
2. PROTOTYPE
3. FIFA 09 (CLASSICS)
4. FABLE 2
5. TOP SPIN 3

And the new UK charts (week 29):

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

The release of ‘Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince’ in cinemas has helped magic another All Formats No1 for EA, knocking their own title ‘Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10’ (-20%) down from No1 to No3.

Sales of ‘Harry Potter’ only rise by 5%, but it is enough to see it pass both Tiger Woods and Activision-Blizzard’s film tie-in ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’ which rises from No3 to No2 despite a 4% dip in sales. It has been a very successful couple of months for the US publisher with 4 separate EA titles reaching No1 in the All Formats Chart for a total of 6 out of the past 7 weeks. They also now have a total of five games in the All Formats Top 10. ‘Wii Fit’ (-3%) continues its consistent good form, back up 2 places to No4, having remained in the All Formats Top 10 since the first week of the year. ‘Fight Night Round 4’ (-30%) is on the ropes, down from No2 to No5, while sales of Ubisoft’s ‘Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood’ (-27%) are down by a similar margin, however it only drops one place to No6.

‘The Sims 3’ and ‘Virtua Tennis 2009’ change places, the former up to No7 and the latter down to No8. Perhaps price is important with ‘Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare’ (-7%) continuing to outsell its younger brother ‘World At War’ by holding steady at No9. EA round off the All Formats Top 10 with ‘EA Sports Active’ returning to the All Formats Top 10, up from No13 to No10. ‘Rhythm Paradise’ (+96%) re-enters the Top 40 at No21, aided by a TV advert starring Beyoncé.

...and The Conduit is out of the Top 40, and dropping two places in the Wii-only chart. No sign of a second-week bounce, and likely no legs. Shame, as it's a reasonable FPS title. Maybe some advertising next time, Sega?

Cosmonaut X said:
...and The Conduit is out of the Top 40, and dropping two places in the Wii-only chart. No sign of a second-week bounce, and likely no legs. Shame, as it's a reasonable FPS title. Maybe some advertising next time, Sega?
thats a real shame though i suppose i'm part of the problem as i aint picked it up yet, i'll probably wait for the now inevitable price drop

Donos

Never thought that Sims 3 would be such big hit (yeah i know the ip was always strong in Europe). Nice to see Infamous go up. Still unbelievable how Call of Duty 4 (360) keeps selling.

Top Bottom