• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games announces "Edge Of Nowhere" (Oculus Rift Exclusive/Built for VR)

Why is this thread now about Sony... Insomniac conduct their own business. They don't owe Sony or PlayStation people a goddamn thing.

Looks really cool. I guess headset-exclusive games were gonna be a thing eventually.

Toppot

Looks cool and all but I probably won't be able to play it for a while, my goal was to get Morphous for the PS4 not Occulus for PC =/

Insomniac, you are making me a poor man trying to buy all the things I need to play your games =[

Mucudadada

Insomniac Games
Why is everyone fighting :(::::::::::::::::

We just want to make cool things :(:::::::::::::::::::::::::

:D

Glad y'all are digging the look of it.

Looks cool and all but I probably won't be able to play it for a while, my goal was to get Morphous for the PS4 not Occulus for PC =/

Insomniac, you are making me a poor man trying to buy all the things I need to play your games =[

Exactly how I feel. LOL

Do not spare the savages a thought, Brandon.

For they shall see how foolish they were when the game releases and it is good I bet it probably is I reckon.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

Understandable, but:

Toppot said:
There's this slightly inconvenient tradeoff...

KennyL

Hi oculus is just a screen right guys?.... You just plug it into pc and.... run... anything you.... want.... and... presencing...... right...?......no?... oK... hrmmmmm.... can I use.... my contro... no..?.... oh...ok... well at least I can presencing.... with my mom on her Mac..... oh hrmmm no..?...... ok...... Well then... my dad can use his win7 to.... no?... oh and everyone have two hands?.... sorry dad.....

So, I need this like NOW.

That said I'm surprised at 3rd person. I'm a novice on this stuff but does VR really add much to a 3rd person experience?

Sami+

Damn that looks sick, but I have to agree on the subject of VR exclusives

I really doubt I'm gonna buy both Morpheus AND Oculus within a reasonable time frame of each other

How are they going to prevent the game from working on a Vive? Must be the tracking system, I have no idea if it's hard to convert the system over to the lighthouse stuff... I'm just guessing that's where it is.

It's not a generic display device or anything, a game has to be programmed specifically to communicate with the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive hardware. How you send image data to one will be different to how you send it to another, for example, and the format of the input data being returned from one will be different from the other.

Think of them as different consoles, it's fairly simple to port a game from PS4 to XBox One or PC or vice/versa, but try to get a game made for one format to run on another. Having said that, someone will probably write a hack driver that lets games on one device run on another, translating the calls in realtime, like how there are some libraries that let you try to run most any 3D PC game on an Oculus Rift.

Zomba13

Am I wrong to not really care about a third person VR game? I mean, the game itself could be cool and interesting but I don't think VR third person could work well. I know there was/is that third person platformer that uses VR but I don't see how a third person game can be "built for VR". At least not one like this. I could see an RTS or DOTA working where you have the field "below" you and can look around like that but in a third person adventuer like Tomb Raider or Uncharted? Eh.

Although it does look like "sanity" effects will mess with the camera in a way but I fail to see how that couldn't be done without VR.

I guess I'm more interested in first person immersive VR experiences.

Technical developments aren't your problem and not the reason as to why business decisions are made. Insomniac wanted to go third party and they did, they're playing the fence on all sides and fair play to them. Sony like to expand their portfolio of I.P. and again, fair play to them. Microsoft probably offered to buy the I.P. like they did with Ryse but couldn't come to an agreement. Console manufacturers are always looking to expand their portfolio.

Just let the companies do business, let machines be machines and just enjoy the games man.

Sorry, but technical developments became a problem for PS3 owners of Skyrim, so "letting machines be machines" is a fallacy.

But you're right on one front, however: fair play to them both if Sony continues to let Insomniac develop its best exclusives for competing platforms while using Ratchet & Clank as a crutch to maintain its studios after continuing to fail at launching IPs. Are we even going to get a Sunset sequel now?

Please enlighten us on how business decisions like this should be handled?

Well, for one, Ken Kutaragi should probably have made business decisions by listening to the supporting developers, like Hironobu Sakaguchi, before he decided to hook up a bunch of DSPs and call it a CPU again. That's kind of how business decisions should be done, listening to your supporting developers. Cerny listened, now gamers benefit. Business decisions should be made to benefit the gamers.

Insomniac should have sacrificed ownership of IP in order to get Sunset running in 1080p... it would've worked out for everybody. For one, the gamers would benefit, and two, Insomniac would have had a more successful IP to pay the bills with even if they aren't going to own said IP.

Sunset could've been the crutch instead of the same tired Ratchet & Clank games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Am I wrong to not really care about a third person VR game?
I don't know if you're wrong, but when I think of games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted, some of the cooler, more immersive moments happen when they get you to feel the same sort of off-balance vertigo as the character must feel, jumping from one high precipice to the next. I would think VR can only help in improving that immersion. And if they don't treat the player camera purely as a fixed camera following the character actions, they can probably blur the lines between a purely 3rd person game and something that plays more like a 1st person game where you're following someone else around.

Indeed, Insomniac consider IP ownership so important but don't want to have to pay for the creation of these IPs themselves? What does the guy holding the chequebook get out of that deal? Especially considering Insomniac don't exactly have a good track record of creating games thatsell well.

Exclusivity.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Posted this in the limitations thread, while as well post it here. Curious as to what people think as it relates to this game:

So I have a question about third person character control using a Vr headset. Most third person games have the main character's movement be relative to the camera's orientation. With Vr is the head stable enough to keep a consistent control reference frame? I imagine most players are quick enough to make subtle adjustments to the controls as the camera moves. Is that the case?

I could imagine vr being a bit nauseating with using the right analog to rotate the camera around the player. Seems like lucky tale has the camera on a spline or surface and the vr input is just an additive on top of that position.

Additionally, does the camera being moved dramatically forward due to geometry getting in the way cause motion sickness?

Hi oculus is just a screen right guys?.... You just plug it into pc and.... run... anything you.... want.... and... presencing...... right...?......no?... oK... hrmmmmm.... can I use.... my contro... no..?.... oh...ok... well at least I can presencing.... with my mom on her Mac..... oh hrmmm no..?...... ok...... Well then... my dad can use his win7 to.... no?... oh and everyone have two hands?.... sorry dad.....

Kenny Loggins Logout.

dr_rus

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Nothing should be VR exclusive let alone some one VR vendor exclusive (well with the exception of Morpheus obviously).

AlphaDump

Gold Member
People do realize exclusive to Rift could mean exclusive to Rift on PC, meaning no Vive.

Yep. And if Vive returns the favor with HL3 then Oculus is in some serious trouble. I really dont see people buying multiple headsets, especially at the early market's adoption phase rate.

/Insomniac is awesome regardless of who wins.

looks cool

also to everyone saying they dont want to work with sony anymore....how have their multi plat & non sony exclusives fared in sales so far?

Trickster

Looks interesting. Though what does it being exclusively for OR mean? Won't you be able to play the game like a normal game if you don't own an OR device?

For some reason it never crossed my mind that games were going to be exclusive to specific headsets. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Duh.

I can't afford multiple headsets, so it looks like I'm going to miss out on this.

KORNdoggy

Sadly i only intend to buy one VR headset and it isn't oculus :(

I'll just support insomniac with positive thinking. That will help pays their bills right?...right? Lol

Graphics wise, it is underwhelming because looks like a PS3 game.

Gameplay wise, not sure how it plays.

Concept wise, it looks really great. Curious to see more info about the story.

Peterpan

Insomniac should have sacrificed ownership of IP in order to get Sunset running in 1080p... it would've worked out for everybody. For one, the gamers would benefit, and two, Insomniac would have had a more successful IP to pay the bills with even if they aren't going to own said IP.

Sunset could've been the crutch instead of the same tired Ratchet & Clank games.
So 1080p is what all gamers want. Not sure if serious. Plus them giving away the rights to their IP means less money to pay the bills as you put it.

DieH@rd

Banned
So, I need this like NOW.

That said I'm surprised at 3rd person. I'm a novice on this stuff but does VR really add much to a 3rd person experience?

TPS games can work great in VR, even when camera is not on rails.

But as you can see here, camera is on the rails [binded to the player's movements, like some sections of God of War] and user can look around wherever he wants.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
OR exclusive? Well fuck. Can't we for once play nice and give everyone a piece of the pie?

Nope. VR haters can get to fuck. You are not welcome in the new PC world.

The game looks great. Really like the art style.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm glad Insomniac are going for it and getting their feet wet with this. More big studios pushing VR software, the better for EVERYONE. Just please don't get caught in the petty exclusive headset shit. It's waaay too early for that. Still one movement, and a bigger picture.

Top Bottom