• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Ban Puncher

Arcade version is the best.

I can play the SNES version for days.

I play the arcade version and instantly get annoyed by the sloppy hit detection intentionally implemented to result in more deaths and in turn, more quarters fed into the machine.

Some smart person needs to take the SNES version and put some 4 player into it. Cowabunga - best version.

woodypop

Sure, but the SNES version is great and also a very good game. The four player mode does put the arcade version over the top as best, though.
I don't mind so much when a console version is reduced from 4- to 2-player. I often find it to be a more playable experience with just one friend, as opposed to the on-screen chaos of 4 players going at it. Sure, sometimes the chaos is half the fun, but generally speaking, it's easier to co-op with just one partner. Yeah, it would be great to at least have the option of up to 4 players. But I'm cool with 2.

It's a greater travesty to reduce an originally 2-player game down to single-player game. NES Double Dragon comes to mind. It was fleshed out a bit to make up for it, but they fully rectified the problem with the sequel.

Exactly.

It's all very well talking about arcade versions of game being better in this era of easy emulation, but back in the day very very good ports of games like SNES Street Fighter II, Mega Drive Ghouls and Ghosts and especially in this case the great SNES Sunset Riders were fantastic achievements on a $100 console.
I agree with this. It's very easy to forget the time frame of some of these ports. People laugh at Altered Beast but it was pretty impressive genny release in 89.
Still a pos of a game though

I just played a bit of it, and really, Genesis Sunset Riders is a good game. It's not nearly as great as the arcade & SNES game, but it's a lot of fun regardless. Even if the levels are new and not as good and a lot of stuff is missing, there's enough of Sunset Riders' style there to make it great fun -- I really like the style of the arcade game. It is kind of interesting how much easier both games are than Contra, though. I mean, Contra and Sunset Riders are the two main Konami run & guns that generation on consoles, but while the SNES and Genesis Contra games are very hard, the Sunset Riders games are only moderately challenging; I've beaten both of them (SNES and Genesis), while I've never finished a Contra game. I guess it's nice to have a more approachable Konami run & gun.

I can play the SNES version for days.

I play the arcade version and instantly get annoyed by the sloppy hit detection intentionally implemented to result in more deaths and in turn, more quarters fed into the machine.

Some smart person needs to take the SNES version and put some 4 player into it. Cowabunga - best version.
In addition to the removal of 4 player, the SNES version is also the most censored version, and it has some level design changes as well. For the most part the SNES game is identical to the arcade original, but a few parts are different -- compare the last levels for example, they are not the same.

As for censorship:

- Neither console game has any female enemies; they are replaced with male ones (in the arcade game the grenade-throwing enemies are female). Yes, the Genesis version is censored -- female enemies and drinking are not in it. It's just censored less than the SNES game.

- SNES version has no doors where after you go in and come out your guy appears with a scantily-clad woman or beer bottle; instead he just strikes a pose. The Genesis version has only the scantily-clad women, but no beer. which is weird -- Sega was okay with that, but not drinking? What? And because of its more repetitive stages, this is REALLY noticeable -- there are a lot more doors in the Genesis game, because it's not an arcade port so they made the levels longer and not as tightly designed as the arcade levels that the SNES mostly adopts, and the animation is the same in every one, always a woman wearing little.

- The SNES version has no Indian enemies in the level where you fight them, they're all replaced with normal cowboy baddies. The Indian boss still is in the game though (though you don't kill him, of course, just as in the arcade game). In the Genesis game, there are Indian enemies in the two levels where you go for the Indian boss (since he's one of the four they put in that version).

- In the SNES game, the dancing girls and woman/women behind door(s) are fully dressed, while on the Genesis they have skimpier outfits, as it is in the arcade game.

Honestly, I don't think any of these changes hurt the games; the game is just as great with the censorship.

I don't mind so much when a console version is reduced from 4- to 2-player. I often find it to be a more playable experience with just one friend, as opposed to the on-screen chaos of 4 players going at it. Sure, sometimes the chaos is half the fun, but generally speaking, it's easier to co-op with just one partner. Yeah, it would be great to at least have the option of up to 4 players. But I'm cool with 2.

It's a greater travesty to reduce an originally 2-player game down to single-player game. NES Double Dragon comes to mind. It was fleshed out a bit to make up for it, but they fully rectified the problem with the sequel.
I know that because of hardware limitations it probably couldn't have been done, but 4 player in stuff like Sunset Riders or beat 'em ups would have been great to see. On a related note, none of the 4 player beat 'em ups were 4 player on consoles either; as far as I know the PS2 is the first console with a 4 player co-op mode in a beat 'em up, and the only one I know of before the PS2 with 3 player co-op is Three Dirty Dwarves on Saturn.

Sure though, having SOME multiplayer is better than none at all (or alternating only in a game that should be simultaneous), that is certainly true.

Anyone got a 3DS? M2's upcoming 3D classic version of Gunstar heroes is gonna have a mode where u can rotate all 14 weapon combinations and fixed/free fire modes, lmao. I guess it's a beginner mode because you have twice the life too.

Comes out next week in JP and August in the west.

Ban Puncher

In addition to the removal of 4 player, the SNES version is also the most censored version, and it has some level design changes as well. For the most part the SNES game is identical to the arcade original, but a few parts are different -- compare the last levels for example, they are not the same.

As for censorship:

- Neither console game has any female enemies; they are replaced with male ones (in the arcade game the grenade-throwing enemies are female). Yes, the Genesis version is censored -- female enemies and drinking are not in it. It's just censored less than the SNES game.

- SNES version has no doors where after you go in and come out your guy appears with a scantily-clad woman or beer bottle; instead he just strikes a pose. The Genesis version has only the scantily-clad women, but no beer. which is weird -- Sega was okay with that, but not drinking? What? And because of its more repetitive stages, this is REALLY noticeable -- there are a lot more doors in the Genesis game, because it's not an arcade port so they made the levels longer and not as tightly designed as the arcade levels that the SNES mostly adopts, and the animation is the same in every one, always a woman wearing little.

- The SNES version has no Indian enemies in the level where you fight them, they're all replaced with normal cowboy baddies. The Indian boss still is in the game though (though you don't kill him, of course, just as in the arcade game). In the Genesis game, there are Indian enemies in the two levels where you go for the Indian boss (since he's one of the four they put in that version).

- In the SNES game, the dancing girls and woman/women behind door(s) are fully dressed, while on the Genesis they have skimpier outfits, as it is in the arcade game.

Honestly, I don't think any of these changes hurt the games; the game is just as great with the censorship.

Sorry I fucked up, I was talking about Turtles in Time.

Anyone got a 3DS? M2's upcoming 3D classic version of Gunstar heroes is gonna have a mode where u can rotate all 14 weapon combinations and fixed/free fire modes, lmao. I guess it's a beginner mode because you have twice the life too.

Comes out next week in JP and August in the west.

Yeah, I will probably get this. I had Gunstar Heroes on the Wii and I liked it back then. The changes sound good too. Looking forward to it!

No matter how hard i try, can't get into shadowrun.

And target earth is fun, but hard as shit. What's with genesis games that give you 1 life and some piddily number of continues?? El viento, jewel master, target earth, alisia dragoon, bunch of others all do this.

El viento and alisia are special because they're smooth sailing (and some of my fave gen games) then suddenly throw levels that just destroy you towards the end.

Lettuce

FINALLY! managed to get Rolling Thunder complete for under £15 delivered!!!....

AaGcizq.jpg

I know Super Thunder Blade doesnt have much love but as a launch game for the Megadrive i had to get it for my collection.

As i was cleaning the contacts for Rolling Thunder (as i do for all games i buy) the pcb look odd and not like other pcb as in no DIP type chips on the pcb....

is it legit??

D.Lo

Quite unlikely. Sorry.
Why would anyone pirate a game you can buy for like five bucks?

I can't see why it wouldn't be legit, has the Namcot PCB branding. Just looks like Namco made their own carts at some point, like EA etc.

Khaz

The big black blob makes me doubtful it's an original. I don't know of any legit game from that era not using through-hole chips, though I'd be happy to be contradicted. I assume everything using glob-top is a Chinese copy, save for the occasional independent publisher like WaterMelon.

Why would anyone pirate a game you can buy for like five bucks?

I can't see why it wouldn't be legit, has the Namcot PCB branding. Just looks like Namco made their own carts at some point, like EA etc.

Five bucks in 2015, but it could be a copy from the late 90s/ early 2000 for the Russian market for example. Also, as far as I know EA & Codemasters were allowed by law to make their own compatible cartridges, but they had to make a shell visually different from SEGA's, because it was copyrighted.

Though his box and manual look legit, so it may be more complex than that. Maybe someone assembled a bootleg cartridge with an original box and manual to make it new, or lost their original game and bought a cheap cartridge from a shady place? Or I'm just completely wrong on that and Namco did produce glob-top cartridges back in the day.

D.Lo

The big black blob makes me doubtful it's an original. I don't know of any legit game from that era not using through-hole chips, though I'd be happy to be contradicted. I assume everything using glob-top is a Chinese copy, save for the occasional independent publisher like WaterMelon.
It does look a bit like a late 90s Hong Kong job, but still weird, it looks too neat for that kind of ye olde piracy. It looks a lot more like a modern pirate, hence my question of commercial viability.

-KRS-

Not sure about MD but there are definitely cases where they used glob-tops in official cartridges. Like Tetris GB had a re-release that has it for example, probably as a cost-saving measure.

It is pretty rare to see though and is reason to suspect something's not right. Since the PCB has the Namco logo though it might be a legit re-release.

Khaz

I guess I was wrong. Since other releases had globtops and the PCB is branded (a pirate wouldn't fake-brand it as it would be used for all their bootlegs), I would concur that the game is probably genuine.

Coda

Sent off my Sega Nomad to get an LCD TFT and region mod. I'll post pictures when I get it back from my modder with it running Alien Soldier. Pumped to play it semi-on the go.

Theonik

I'm afraid I'm going to have to add to the confusion. This is my (PAL) copy of Rolling Thunder 2. I paid €20 (all in) for it, btw.

http://i.imgur.com/YlQ0r9a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cV9FfFp.jpg
Doesn't really add to the confusion. I think it confirms that is how Namco sold those carts in PAL. Actually does anyone have a Japanese cart to compare? Megadrive carts are usually region free with the region dictated by the system itself so them re-purposing Japanese carts in PAL cases wouldn't be very weird.

Doesn't really add to the confusion. I think it confirms that is how Namco sold those carts in PAL. Actually does anyone have a Japanese cart to compare? Megadrive carts are usually region free with the region dictated by the system itself so them re-purposing Japanese carts in PAL cases wouldn't be very weird.

Wait... I have a Japanese cart. Let me check in a little bit.

Ew... this is a snap together, I kinda forgot about that....

ultimos

Neo Member
I'm also guessing legit. One of my 3 copies of Mario/Duck Hunt (American) looks like that, as well as some other early NES game that I can't remember. It seems to be something that was done from time to time for some reason.

hodgy100

Anyone have any idea where I can get a propper case for my old everdrive? I got mine before they were sold with cases :( I assume it's easiest to just buy an old junk game and modify it?

Found Ghostbusters just missing the manual, for 25 bucks.

Deals son. I ain't fucking with these "we use the average pricechart value as our base and mark up from there" prices.

Found Ghosrtbusters just missing the manual, for 25 bucks.

Deals son. I ain't fucking with these "we use the average pricechart value as our base and mark up from there" prices.

Good find! I still haven't finished the game (got to the last level and haven't played it against since), but up until the Ghostbusters that came out a few years back, it was the only truly good game out there. Still holds up today.

Rydeen

Good find! I still haven't finished the game (got to the last level and haven't played it against since), but up until the Ghostbusters that came out a few years back, it was the only truly good game out there. Still holds up today.

Really love the Ghostbusters game on Genesis, such a quirky platformer, plus the Peter Venkman sprite of a little super deformed Bill Murray is literally perfect.

Timu

Finally beaten The Adventures of Batman and Robin, died like 4 times though. Once on Stage 2, 3 times on the last stage.

Cant believe I finally got these, in one swoop bundle too! Paid significantly less than retail but more than I justify for genesis.

Impressions thus far:

GUNSTAR: FANTASTIC more fluid than metal slug and though not as beauftiul much more frantic, Treasure must have coded to the metal on this I cant believe the blistering pace of the gameplay, really easy to jump into for non run n gun fans either!

Contra:
FUCK I NEED A GAME GENIE

So, don't remember if anyone remembers me mentioning making a big video on why Wild Woody wasn't garbage months ago.

Well, regardless, i made a video on why Wild Woody isn't garbage. I do have some really cool stuff from people who worked on the game though, so hopefully it offers more then just a review.

https://goo.gl/xlgP3a

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Guy on a local Facebook group posted that he got this at an auction.

This is basically "the dream".

pQ0RrYo.jpg

Jx0bi1b.jpg

Top Bottom