• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I'm guessing another C;H hint? Don't know anything about it except hearing that the anime was terrible.

The anime was legitimately terrible. Cut out a lot from the VN, and then added original scenes that tonally didn't fit at all. Animation and art were both extremely bad as well. About the only good thing that came out of it was the ending song.

What's the difference between Noah and the old fan-translated version again? Is it worth a replay?

The first version of Chaos;Head was mostly a singular route with a choice between good and true end. Noah adds additional routes for every other heroine, expanding and developing on a lot of stuff that was only hinted at in the first version. Noah is pretty much the definitive version.

Josephl64

Got my own copy of G Senjou no Maou now, so I'm replaying it ~

CHmpsPRWsAAYtgG.jpg

Umineko without the music is not the true umineko experience.
Manga is just inférior because of this fact
Just wanted to put that here.

You'll miss out on nuances. You've come this far, stay the course. Do it piecemeal if you have to.

Decent possibility I'm not smart enough to pick up on the nuances if I did stay the course. I definitely felt like I missed out on nothing when rewatching the first few episodes of the anime after playing through ep 1 of the VN.

As I said, the only time where I felt it was much better than any other media counterpart was the climax of ep 3, which was far more emotional than it was in the anime thanks to the presentation and soundtrack. Other than that, it just hasn't been worth it so far.

cj_iwakura

Decent possibility I'm not smart enough to pick up on the nuances if I did stay the course. I definitely felt like I missed out on nothing when rewatching the first few episodes of the anime after playing through ep 1 of the VN.

As I said, the only time where I felt it was much better than any other media counterpart was the climax of ep 3, which was far more emotional than it was in the anime thanks to the presentation and soundtrack. Other than that, it just hasn't been worth it so far.

Suit yourself, but that's the equivalent of just watching Game of Thrones Season 5 because Winds of Winter isn't out yet.

Suit yourself, but that's the equivalent of just watching Game of Thrones Season 5 because Winds of Winter isn't out yet.

To be fair, the manga does have its high points. Like in ep 3,
Battler literally pulls Eva-Beatrice through dimensions to confront her rather than just transporting her to the higher plane.

After reading the manga, I may skip through VN ep 6 before moving onto 7.

Edit: Speaking of which, what's the name of the track when
Beatrice confronts Eva-Beatrice in the higher plane after Battler gives up, "sacrificing" herself before the banquet where Ange breaks in?
It's a really good track.

Quixzlizx

Has anyone released a fan-patch to unfuck If My Heart Had Wings at all? It's currently 50% off on Steam, but I don't really want to play a VN with a terribly localized script.

Has anyone released a fan-patch to unfuck If My Heart Had Wings at all? It's currently 50% off on Steam, but I don't really want to play a VN with a terribly localized script.

To fix the translation? It's apparently still in the works, but it's not done. There's a decensor patch, but that doesn't fix the script.

Bit of semi-early Umineko ep 6 speculation:
Battler IS Kinzo. His treatment of Beato over many years in the game space led to her becoming the cruel witch she was, which in turn caused Battler to love her as the Beato he wished for. That also happens to be his sin or something. So yeah, stable time loop I guess.

Don't care how much this contradicts. Blue truth, so I ain't got to explain shit.

JulianImp

Bit of semi-early Umineko ep 6 speculation:
Battler IS Kinzo. His treatment of Beato over many years in the game space led to her becoming the cruel witch she was, which in turn caused Battler to love her as the Beato he wished for. That also happens to be his sin or something. So yeah, stable time loop I guess.

Don't care how much this contradicts. Blue truth, so I ain't got to explain shit.

I kind of wish I was still reading through it to speculate along, but I've already seen the cat's guts so I can't speak a thing without spoiling you. Umineko's one of the games I wish I could 'unlearn' and get to play from scratch once again.

Anyway, if you didn't happen to notice anything wrong with the anime during Ep1, it means you weren't paying attention to a couple of crucial events that happen in slightly different ways than they should have, which make defeating the illusion of the witch nigh impossible thanks to all the plot holes the anime creates.

Anyway, if you didn't happen to notice anything wrong with the anime during Ep1, it means you weren't paying attention to a couple of crucial events that happen in slightly different ways than they should have, which make defeating the illusion of the witch nigh impossible thanks to all the plot holes the anime creates.

Is this something I won't know until I beat ep 8, or should I know the problem by now? If it's the latter, I don't remember. There's just way too many details and misdirection to keep track of everything. I mean, I didn't think I was supposed to know the truth of any of the episodes at this point.

JulianImp

Is this something I won't know until I beat ep 8, or should I know the problem by now? If it's the latter, I don't remember. There's just way too many details and misdirection to keep track of everything. I mean, I didn't think I was supposed to know the truth of any of the episodes at this point.

There are many big problems with Ep1, but most of them are minute enough that you might miss them. Still, they're vital clues for crafting a theory that can deny the illusion of the witch, which by virtue of being missing in the anime adaptation makes EP1 unsolvable from the human side (AFAIK). I won't say anything more than that since I wish I could've learned all that without being somewhat spoiled before I could come to such realizations, so I'd rather not spoil others too badly.

Ep 6 is one of the bigger hints in the series, and 7 is even more obvious, including an ending where a character explains the first four episodes. Erika then goes on to explain the later games in the manga adaptation of Ep 8, which is why I'd recommend that you read through the VN for that episode first.

I'll spoiler tag this in case people who still haven't read Umineko come across my post, but I think you should be able to read it without getting spoiled:
At first, the witch's side appears to have a ridiculous advantage with the way it can postpone answering blue truths and how it can twist the words it uses for delivering red truths. However, once the essence of magic begins to be explored by Ange and Battler (as he finally gets around to looking at the board from Beato's side) they come to the realization that magic can't produce a result that couldn't be carried out through non-magical means (ie: Ange being unable to use the seven sisters of purgatory to kill her classmates).

It is then that they learn that the witch side is at a huge disadvantage, since witches are required to craft murders that could be commited through normal means, even in spite of the fact that their game is supposed to prove how the crimes couldn't have been done by anything but magic. If playing from the witch side means being all but guaranteed to lose (since you need to create a narrative that can disprove magic by itself), the readers have to re-evaluate why would Beatrice even engage in such a game against Battler in the first place.

Got through Eden*, thought it was pretty damn good. Overall plot was alright, towards end kinda got eh, but still great. This moment though, just beautiful and sad as F. And of course the ending, did not get the waterworks running but damn...
The BGM was spot on and fantastic, really did a great job at creating a sad ass atmosphere. (Recognized some tracks from other works)
Also, the sometimes derpy looking MC and that other dude stood out in an otherwise good looking vn.

So I just finished Higurashi When they cry Ch. 1 on steam. Im very confused, but not in a bad way.

I liked the characters and setting, but I felt like I wanted more from this chapter. I can't shake this feeling of wanting to read more to find out the rest of the story!

Overall a good beginning, I'll have to put off reading the rest later this summer.

Umineko ep 6 complete.

Some neat revelations here and there:

Beatrice is 19 and not over 1000. Her previous personality may also be an act.
Both Bern and Lambda probably got fucked over by Featherine in another Rika scenario.
The board game can be simplified as "the witch side bluffs while the human side explains the bluff", confirming that the murders are indeed not magic-related.
Even MORE dimensional layers exist.

Onto ep 7.

jonjonaug

Mangagamer will have four announcements at AX. (Link is Mangagamer's main site, not NSFW right now from where I'm sitting but may be in the future).

The people who have gone on record from Mangagamer as being excited are people who I very much trust when they say they are excited. I'm looking forward to good things.

Between this, Zero Escape teasing, and Science Adventure teasing I think I'm more excited for the state of visual novels overseas now than I've been in at least two years.

Li Kao

Uh, have we got info on the schedule of Higurashi releases ? How many chapters are we talking about ? I mean, from an exterior point of view, I've not followed the thing closely and just know the game by its reputation, looks like it will take many years for the thing to be completed.

Oh and Steins;Gate is great and I have good hopes that it will be the game that makes me a VN reader.

Uh, have we got info on the schedule of Higurashi releases ? How many chapters are we talking about ? I mean, from an exterior point of view, I've not followed the thing closely and just know the game by its reputation, looks like it will take many years for the thing to be completed.

There's no schedule and translation progress has been slow. Maybe MangaGamer will say something at AX, but it looks like it will take a long time.

Is Umineko ep 7 shorter than the others? Only like 3 hours in, which is nearly halfway through the corresponding manga part.

It's also far more interesting at this point than pretty much any other episode.

That guy is everywhere, right?

Well, there are two people who are known for translating Science Adventure stuff: Blick Winkel and Reading Steiner. Winkel did the bulk of the translation work on S;G and Steiner helped with editing. Steiner also does a lot of fan translations of side material. And they've been working together again on a secret VN project, which is the thing that I've been getting hyped up about.

Last minute Umineko speculation before
the culprit
is revealed. I'm going to say
it's Kyrie.

Will edit this post once it's revealed in probably a few seconds/minutes.

Edit: Or I'll get some intermission with the weird love twins :/

Edit 2: Uh, I don't think I was right. It should be obvious what they're leading up to, but this feels so weird. Need to see the logic behind it.

Edit 3: Yeah, it's definitely going that way. This is going to fuck up the pairings pretty badly, lol.

JulianImp

Last minute Umineko speculation before
the culprit
is revealed. I'm going to say
it's Kyrie.

Will edit this post once it's revealed in probably a few seconds/minutes.

Edit: Or I'll get some intermission with the weird love twins :/

Edit 2: Uh, I don't think I was right. It should be obvious what they're leading up to, but this feels so weird. Need to see the logic behind it.

Edit 3: Yeah, it's definitely going that way. This is going to fuck up the pairings pretty badly, lol.

Don't you hate on Zepar and Furfur, man.
I didn't dig Claire at all, though

Also, remember Umineko logic: With
nobody to tell what actually happened in Rokkenjima (since Eva took the secret to her grave)
, the devil's proof could be used to argue that
any and all narrations are possible at the same time, and nobody from outside Rokkenjima during the two days the games take place in can actually tell which one is the true one
, which is part of the point of the series as a whole. Still, there're hints in the VN that could be used to uncover the truths and the manga kind of confirms
Rokkenjima prime
AFAIK (haven't read it yet).

The two final episodes were really awesome for me, since by the time they start most clues are already on the table from prior games, so the narration can focus on exploring everything and going really deep in all directions (Rokkenjima story, meta worlds and Ange's story).

Yuuichi

Not sue if any of you saw this before, but I thought I'd share it.

If you've been around for a few years and this comes as a surprise to you, you should probably step back a bit because you've been missing the big picture. I think embargo is a bad choice of words and the article didn't fully convey the reasoning behind "For Japan Sales Only" as well as it could have, but was still nice to read.

Edit: I feel the need to clarify that this isn't directed at anyone in particular, and the quote is just to show what I'm talking about. Upon reflection it could easily be misinterpreted.

Finished Umineko ep 7. I am so confused. Like, I feel like the answer must be
Kanon
based on all the evidence like
pretending Yasu was 3 years younger, the "magic" of giving Shannon a little brother, stuff like that
, but the way this is all presented is so goddamn weird.

Anyway, I was definitely right about the pairings getting fucked up, which only got worse as the "play" went on, lol.

A little bit into the Tea Party and this is definitely NOT how I wanted to see some of my favorite characters, particularly
Kyrie.

Regardless of the weirdness and vague non-answers, this has been the most compelling and least boring episode of the bunch so far.

Top Bottom