• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"See you next Devil May Cry": Splash screen hints at new DMC?

Game journalists sure were successful in pushing their narrative that DMC was an old, over the hill series on it's way out for the valiant Ninja Theory to swoop in and save these poor Japanese people's franchise.

Not like it was at it's sales height or anything.

Not like DmC barely managed to sell half as much as the previous entry with 100 million more consoles out there or anything.

I know DmC isnt very well liked but i was pretty interested in seeing what was gping to happen to their world after the ending of the first game.

I wonder what the devs' plan was, story wise.

Game journalists sure were successful in pushing their narrative that DMC was an old, over the hill series on it's way out for the valiant Ninja Theory to swoop in and save these poor Japanese people's franchise.

Capcom was pushing the narrative at the time, too, but people tend to forget this was "Our games need to sell 10,000,000 copies to turn a profit" Capcom. They were operating from a fundamentally broken set of assumptions in their business strategies.

They seem to be learning (somewhat) how to mitigate risks and expenses to make money selling games to their current audience, rather than constantly seeking out (unreasonable) audience expansion to cover the costs of games. Hopefully that means that projects like DMC5 that will "only" sell 4,000,000 - 5,000,000 are back on the table, if possibly requiring mitigations (exclusivity deals for partial development and publishing support, etc.).

sleepykyo

Capcom was pushing the narrative at the time, too, but people tend to forget this was "Our games need to sell 10,000,000 copies to turn a profit" Capcom. They were operating from a fundamentally broken set of assumptions in their business strategies.

They seem to be learning (somewhat) how to mitigate risks and expenses to make money selling games to their current audience, rather than constantly seeking out (unreasonable) audience expansion to cover the costs of games. Hopefully that means that projects like DMC5 that will "only" sell 4,000,000 - 5,000,000 are back on the table, if possibly requiring mitigations (exclusivity deals for partial development and publishing support, etc.).

DMC5 isn't going to do that much. DmC bent the franchise over pretty hard. When DMC5 comes out the same journalists that were convinced NT saved the franchise are going to try as hard as possible to bury DMC5. Capcom is probably apprehensive (well, they're just scared in general at this point) as hell after DmC as well, so DMC5 isn't going to get as much of a budget either.

Peff

DMC5 isn't going to do that much. DmC bent the franchise over pretty hard. When DMC5 comes out the same journalists that were convinced NT saved the franchise are going to try as hard as possible to bury DMC5. Capcom is probably apprehensive (well, they're just scared in general at this point) as hell after DmC as well, so DMC5 isn't going to get as much of a budget either.

Nah, if they find the right story angle and have good trailers it should do well enough. The RE name suffered an even bigger blow thanks to the combo of operation whatever and RE6 but people still showed up for Rev2 when word got out that it was good, even though it's as low budget as it gets. The bigger problem is that creating assets for DMC and the like is inherently expensive, you can only lower the budget so much before you get Korra, and they really need to not repeat the backtracking this time because everybody will be especifically looking for that. We'll see...

So many shitty posts in the last page. People need to check their facts before posting.

tell me about it man.

All these posts unintentionally/intentionally trying to derail the DMC5 hype train.

There are a million blatant signs pointing towards a DMC5 by Itsuno and people just come in here and just sees 'devil may cry' and immediately assumes it is something about DmC and Kamiya.

Kamiya is known to post trollish comments like that and if you are remotely a fan of NT or know their whereabouts, they have repeatedly said that they are not working on a DmC sequel. I can respect DmC fans opinion on the game but stop posting unnecessary comments like, 'Oh i hope its a DmC2!' when the very first post is of the pic from 4SE.

ShinMaruku

The salt of the DmC fans. That said we can't really say when it is coming but it is coming and people should know better than to trust Kamiya's twitter.

Astarte

That entire last page

MzZPg69.gif

Really though I hope that DMC5 gets made and it hits everyone's expectations. I hope that DMC5 has more fun enemies to fight and a bit more varied locations to go through that don't make me groan.

Dremark

Banned
DMC4 is the best selling entry and DmC is now the second worst selling entry (DMC2 is now the worst thankfully). So yeah DmC didn't really save it, it just hurt the momentum coming off DMC4.

For what it's worth even the biggest DmC haters seem to acknowledge 2 as being the worst, at least when they aren't making overall statements about the series.

Seeing how much these people hate DmC and how much momentum the game had going into it from how popular the first game is, it must be a complete train wreck of a game.

Top Bottom