• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: Warren Spector calls VR "a fad"

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Where are these people residing where essentially closing your eyes from the world for an hour or two will result in mugging or death in your own home.

Zia

I cant even count how many times I've had to ward off baseball bat-wielding muggers while playing video games.

Yeah, the, "But how will I know if my house is on fire?!" sensory deprivation excuse for blanket skepticism is up there with, "But 3D televisions!" for me.

Linkup

Pay $XXX to watch things up close and pretend your head is a gigantic right analogue stick.

If it feels like you're just watching things up close then it is setup wrong or you have a eye problem and should probably get it checked out.

There have actually been a few people making claims that it felt like a screen strapped to their face only to find out they had no stereo vision or some other eye problem. Another guy was getting headaches and find out he had a tumor in his face/ear canal.

Vesper73

Lets Play! /Cue the music :)

CH0PLvVUsAAY0wc.png

JeffG

Pay $XXX to watch things up close and pretend your head is a gigantic right analogue stick.

For sure price will be a short term problem for adoption.

For me, I will be looking at $1000 (or more) due to having to buy a PS4/Eye/VR or upgrade Pc/VR

A lot of people may not take the plunge due to the cost. If the XBox got a VR, then I could go that way.

Being a tech geek, I may just do a OSVR and just play with it and Unity. That should keep my cost a ~$200

CHC

I agree it's a fad but the baseball bat thing is weird. But then again he's a weird guy, and I think he is famous for a time when that weirdness manifested itself in a very cool way (Deus Ex).

Ferrio

Banned
I agree it's a fad but the baseball bat thing is weird. But then again he's a weird guy, and I think he is famous for a time when that weirdness manifested itself in a very cool way (Deus Ex).

Maybe he's afraid Deus Ex will become a reality?

I really think VR will either go to extremes, meaning it either will be the next step in gaming. Or it will just be a fad, like it was in the 90's when you'd see a VR setup at a arcade with a cheesy demo. I don't care for Facebook but seeing their involvement in it expands what I think they have in mind for it. Possibly "Ready Player One" levels of what they have in mind for it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
VR fanboy bingo is much easier. All fields are "Have you tried it?"

*It´s not allowed to try and not to like it.

Have you tried it?

Something that requires someone to actually try it, should not be critiqued in the way most are doing. They are baseless.

ThePicard

Banned
The only VR (if u can call it that) I have tried is a google cardboard with a moto g(720p screen)

it was interesting to see, and gave me an insight to the potential, but it made me sick and dizzy and I could see the pixels, and I could see the outside world.

If those 3 things are not there with the various VR headsets, and u do feel presence, then I dont think it will be a fad at all.

Have you tried it?

Yes. Last year. And i already can see it coming. "So no current build yadda yadda."
As long as "current builds" involve a piece of plastic strapped to my face it´s not suited for a mass audience. Still awesome and fun in 5 min bursts on exhibitons or to show it to your grandma one time but in no way a mass market apllication people will use in millions at their home.

Ferrio

Banned
The only VR (if u can call it that) I have tried is a google cardboard with a moto g(720p screen)

it was interesting to see, and gave me an insight to the potential, but it made me sick and dizzy and I could see the pixels, and I could see the outside world.

If those 3 things are not there with the various VR headsets, and u do feel presence, then I dont think it will be a fad at all.

You'll still see the pixels unfortunately, but your brain quickly sorta puts that as background noise much like when you wear glasses or have floaters in your eyes. Ya it's there if you look for it, but it gets lost in everything else.

The dizzy thing is going to come down to the developers a lot of times (are they keeping good consistant high frame rates, are they doing techniques to minimize nausea etc), as well as just your general tolerance.

The outside world thing won't be an issue though.

NZNova

For me it seems like it will always be niche, in a similar way that stuff like Kinect and Move are niche. Not quite to such an extreme, as there are a lot more obvious gaming applications for VR stuff than those other two examples, but VR simply doesn't fit many types of game. It'll never be a total replacement, but I certainly hope it will be a beneficial addition. Warren's arguments seem pretty bizarre to me, though.

VR is kind of the ultimate gaming fantasy because its goal is to completely immerse you into a world. Way more than just an FPS ever could.

Vesper73

Yes. Last year. And i already can see it coming. "So no current build yadda yadda."
As long as "current builds" involve a piece of plastic strapped to my face it´s not suited for a mass audience. Still awesome and fun in 5 min bursts on exhibitons or to show it to your grandma one time but in no way a mass market apllication people will use in millions at their home.

"I'll take E4 for $300!"

..Ahh come on! I love you guys (and girls)!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
To be fair, nobody gives much of a shit about 3D displays now too. VR has applications outside of the gaming space at least.

Warren Spector did say it has amazing possibilities for non-gaming purposes.

You most likely won't get sick or dizzy if the game is well designed (it's more of a software than a hardware issue now). Low persistent, high framerate screen is the key which your phone doesn't have. As for seeing the pixels, from the reports I've read of the consumer rift, it ranges from "I can't see them" to "it's so faint it's unnoticeable unless you actively look for it". It doesn't seem to be an issue anymore for anyone that's tried it. And you won't be able to see the outside world, aside from a tiny gap at the bottom which you can't see unless you look straight down, which is handy for hitting keys/buttons.

Guevara

VR fanboy bingo is much easier. All fields are "Have you tried it?"

*It´s not allowed to try and not to like it.

lol, VR enthusiast bingo:
  • Have you tried it?
  • Non-gaming applications are the REAL goldmine
  • Tech only getting smaller, like phones
  • "Presence"
  • Anecdote about showing VR to grandparents and it blew their minds!
  • and of course... Have you tried it?

Stiler

Why do so many people seem to care "HOW" they look in their OWN home while playing a video game???

It just baffles me.

Its like people these days see themselves as some super-model walking downt he runway when they're sitting alone in their bedroom looking at videos on the internet or something.

It's like they think you're going to throw on the VR headset and then go out in the real world with it on or some nonsense.

ITT: All you need to know to see that VR going mainstream is going to be one bumpy ass ride.

If people get this up in arms over criticisms from the tech inclined, wait til you hear from everybody else.

Economics and historical precedence for optional extras in the console space at least support that interpretation, but we'll see.

It's entirely possible that VR isn't a fad, but also won't be adopted everywhere or by everyone like the most vehement proponents might suggest. In that scenario it would be more like a joystick or racing wheel: adopted by enthusiasts and reasonably well supported, but not transformational.

Skyzard

Banned
VR going mainstream doesn't mean it's going to replace all your comfy habits, it will be a really cool new toy that you can use when you want that experience. You can have both and don't need to jump in straight away, you won't miss it.

Remember when motion controls where the "future" and they turned out to be pretry awful. That's the way I see vr going. Plus I'm not going to pay $300 for a screen that gives me a headache and tanks performance on my pc.

HariKari

ITT: All you need to know to see that VR going mainstream is going to be one bumpy ass ride.

If people get this up in arms over criticisms from the tech inclined, wait til you hear from everybody else.

If it works as intended, it won't be a bumpy ass ride. Poor implementations of VR and crappy experiences might initially undercut it, but devs will learn. Listen to the Lorne Lanning interview. Listen to how Valve talks about presence as a powerful drug.

VR in the 90s was a crappy fad. These latest iterations most definitely are not.

It's entirely possible that VR isn't a fad, but also won't be adopted everywhere or by everyone like the most vehement proponents might suggest.

It's also of note that the people talking about VR taking off in such a huge way, including the hardware manufacturers, are talking about a 10+ year time span.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People need to stop with the "people don't want to look stupid" thing.

Wii controls.
Kinect.
Using iPads to take pictures.

The list goes on.

There's some truth to that though. I always felt embarassed trying to talk to Kinect, and I think people using their iPads to take pictures look like idiots.

inm8num2

No way to really know what VR is until it hits the market and people buy or don't buy it. Right now someone can call it a fad, and someone else can say it's the next big thing.

I don't doubt the experience, I doubt the design, and I do think all the niggles we've heard about VR will eventually be solved. But none of the criticisms and worries are "hate" in my book, like its described in the VR Hate Bingo, nor is it people being silly or being luddites or wanting to look like a supermodel when they're alone at home. Sheesh.

They're pain points that smart people will get to work on and solve and VR will be better for it.

HariKari

No way to really know what VR is until it hits the market and people buy or don't buy it. Right now someone can call it a fad, and someone else can say it's the next big thing.

Well, it's more than a little bit illuminating that the haters are talking about baseball bats and looking stupid while advocates (including most every dev) are talking about how powerful the experience is and the potential.

MaximumJohnny

Neo Member
All we can do is wait and see if he's proven right, but I reaaally can't see the average consumer throwing a fat wad of cash at a VR headset.

So why do they care so much if people regard it as niche and a fad for the next 9 years?

I don't think many VR enthusiasts do care, or object, if someone claims it'll be niche in the short term. It's the people that say it'll die or fade away entirely (as the word fad implies) that we're disagreeing with. I don't think it'll be totally niche for 10 years either. With mobile VR, and as prices/hardware requirements drop growth will speed up. It'll just take a while for major mass adoption. The end goal for Oculus is something the size of a pair of glasses, for <$99 which, as mobile technology rapidly improves, is inevitable. Then we're at the point where it's an impulse buy. A no brainer for the quality of the experience you're getting.

lol, VR enthusiast bingo:
  • Have you tried it?
  • Non-gaming applications are the REAL goldmine
  • Tech only getting smaller, like phones
  • "Presence"
  • Anecdote about showing VR to grandparents and it blew their minds!
  • and of course... Have you tried it?

VR skeptic bingo:

I look stupid wearing it.
I don't like things on my face.
I will be robbed/killed.
3D TV comparison.
My family won't be able to contact me.
Downfall of modern society.
Waggle controls.
Fear of being viewed as a nerd.
Women won't use them at parties.

These are all things I've heard in real life or read on this very forum. Both sides are getting heavy handed and it's becoming a circus in VR threads anymore.

Edit: Pahahaha I just now saw the image in question and am feeling pretty dense. Ah well, my point still applies.

paskowitz

Actual real problems with VR:

1. Cost to value ratio (>$300 + $$$ console/PC + few games = hard sell)
2. It is hard to market (as in advertising). (When somebody figures out how to make a good commercial for VR, maybe it will gain some mass market traction... but not before then)
3. There aren't enough games (No mass market "killer app")
4. There are even less compelling "social" VR games (Keep Talking and Nobody Dies is really it). (Many casual gamers I talk to genuinely worry about VR being "even more (traditional games) closed off from the world".)
5. Nobody has a 100% finished product with VR specific input devices that people can try and say "this is exactly what I will be buying, this is what it does, these are the games that I will play, I like it, I want it, I will buy it."

Top Bottom