• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Unicorn anime (DVD/BD/Net OVA, 6 parts, 50mins each, Worldwide - Spring 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Finally some more news:

First episode/installment will be an hour long! And the anime will be very faithful to the source material.

Also, scratch my previous post about this being a tv series. Sounds more like it'll be an OVA.
So basically, we still don't know what it is? Well, fuck.

Though, knowing Sunrise, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know either, or are at least waiting for their focus groups to decide.

When's this supposed to be coming out btw?

It is an OVA. It's release time frame makes it impossible to be a TV series since the shows for the season were already announced. We know it's several episodes from developer commentary so it's going to be an OVA.

I think Duckroll is right about this being an ONA (with a release on DVD/Blu-ray in the near future), especially since Bandai has made it their intention to release this simultaneously wordlwide.

duckroll

It is almost certainly a 5-6 part OVA. The episodes will definitely be longer than a regular TV episode. Here are the facts we know so far:

- First episode is about an hour long
- First episode covers the first two novels
- The third episode's title is the fifth novel
- The novel series is 10 novels long
- Sunrise is aiming for a higher than normal quality for the series
- It is launching in Winter 2009, but the TV season for Winter starts in Jan 2010
- UC stuff are targeting older fans, who would be more willing to spend on a movie or OVA, rather than watching a TV series on air

Yeah I think we can conclude for ourselves that it's an OVA. The only remaining question now is how they plan on distributing it. I suspect it won't be released on DVD/Blu-ray immediately, but will instead get some sort of streaming or PPV launch first.

duckroll

Since this wasn't previously posted here, enjoy...

x6fog6.jpg

duckroll

distantmantra said:
At this point I don't care what it is as long as Bandai Ent. (USA) releases it here on Blu-ray in a timely manner.

I agree completely. As big a fan as I am of Gundam, especially a return to UC, I would definitely want to watch this with friends who don't understand Japanese. I'll be passing on the JP releases and getting the US ones. Don't fuck this up Bandai Ent! Grrrr!

mintylurb

Yay, more gundang!!

Kintaro said:
Side story like War in the Pocket/Stardust Memory? Those are about the only UC stories not directed by Tomino IIRC.
And 08th ms team. 3 of my fav UC gundang animu. No tomino=good.

Blader

Aegus said:
Gundam OVAs are usually better quality anyway.

Yeah that's kind of the silver living. Even though I want as much UC as possible, making it an OVA means better animation and no filler.

duckroll said:
I agree completely. As big a fan as I am of Gundam, especially a return to UC, I would definitely want to watch this with friends who don't understand Japanese. I'll be passing on the JP releases and getting the US ones. Don't fuck this up Bandai Ent! Grrrr!

Sadly I doubt Bandai Ent will bother with Gundam Blu Ray in the US. Gundam as a whole has been barely scrapping by with DVD sales on the newer series such as SEED, Destiny, and such. We will never see another older Gundam DVD release at this point since they have all been financial failures for them in the US. A Unicorn DVD US release is no doubt gonna happen, but will be small miracle for a blu ray release.

BattleMonkey said:
Sadly I doubt Bandai Ent will bother with Gundam Blu Ray in the US. Gundam as a whole has been barely scrapping by with DVD sales on the newer series such as SEED, Destiny, and such. We will never see another older Gundam DVD release at this point since they have all been financial failures for them in the US. A Unicorn DVD US release is no doubt gonna happen, but will be small miracle for a blu ray release.

I've given up hope on ZZ, Victory, X and/or Turn A ever getting released in North America. However, I believe that we will see Unicorn and OO on Blu-ray in North America at some point in the future.

distantmantra said:
I've given up hope on ZZ, Victory, X and/or Turn A ever getting released in North America. However, I believe that we will see Unicorn and OO on Blu-ray in North America at some point in the future.

00 already being released here with no Blu Ray plans, seems unlikely. Gundam is not looked upon very well by Bandai Ent really, they have been for years pushed to make attempts at Gundam in the US for years by it's Japanese counterparts. They do ok with new release series like I mentioned already, but it's far from their more successful shows.

I would love for Blu Rays to get released but unless they get some serious pressure from their Japanese counterparts, Bandai Ent will not bother.

BattleMonkey said:
00 already being released here with no Blu Ray plans, seems unlikely. Gundam is not looked upon very well by Bandai Ent really, they have been for years pushed to make attempts at Gundam in the US for years by it's Japanese counterparts. They do ok with new release series like I mentioned already, but it's far from their more successful shows.

I would love for Blu Rays to get released but unless they get some serious pressure from their Japanese counterparts, Bandai Ent will not bother.

They're being questioned/grilled/harassed about Blu-rays for Geass and OO at conventions and they always say they're working on it. It could just be a BS knee-jerk response, but part of me hopes they're listening and actually working something out.

But, if they're not going to bring them out, they will get none of my money.

i love those designs. i still have the first toy characters. just bought them because i liked how they looked. i had never even heard about it :p

duckroll

BattleMonkey said:

If it's an OVA release, it will almost certainly get a blu-ray release, just like movies.

duckroll said:
If it's an OVA release, it will almost certainly get a blu-ray release, just like movies.

As I was saying, Bandai Ent, which is the US branch. The Gundam movies have not gotten blu ray releases in the US and likely will never.

Rahxephon91 said:
Theres some doubt when it comes to the US. But Bandai has released some newer stuff on Blu-ray.

They've got Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea coming out soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Eureka Seven movie gets released on Blu-ray.

duckroll

BattleMonkey said:
As I was saying, Bandai Ent, which is the US branch. The Gundam movies have not gotten blu ray releases in the US and likely will never.

Bandai Ent isn't really interested in legacy titles, because they don't sell. On the other hand, they're very interested in new titles. You talk as if we don't know anything about Bandai Ent. :p

duckroll said:
Bandai Ent isn't really interested in legacy titles, because they don't sell. On the other hand, they're very interested in new titles. You talk as if we don't know anything about Bandai Ent. :p

New titles yes, but Gundam is a touchy subject within Bandai Ent. I used to work for them in a gundam related area of the company, so know how they feel about the franchise. Gundam on Blu Ray will be a hard sell for them. They want to do blu ray, but we will be lucky to see Gundam related BR in the US, even new material like Unicorn.

Snaku

Banned
duckroll said:

So where's Gundam 00 on Blu-ray?

distantmantra said:
They've got Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea coming out soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Eureka Seven movie gets released on Blu-ray.
REALLY! The movie may be pretty bad but man does it look good. May have to double dip.

I have nowhere else to post this so here goes.I have seen Gundam Wing and thought it was good but where do I go next and what is the ideal order to watch them in?

Blader

DOBERMAN INC said:
I have nowhere else to post this so here goes.I have seen Gundam Wing and thought it was good but where do I go next and what is the ideal order to watch them in?

Always always start with the original Mobile Suit Gundam. You can either watch the tv series (available dubbed or subbed) or the compilation movie trilogy (only available subbed). I think most people agree the movies are the better version, but if you prefer dubs, go with the tv series (and the dub for it is pretty good too). It's from 1979, so the animation is really dated, but you'll get used to it.

After that, you can can watch the sequel, Zeta Gundam. And then the story in MSG and Zeta comes to an end in the movie Char's Counterattack. Unicorn is set a couple years after CCA.

There's also 08th MS Team and Gundam 0080, which are sidestories to the events in MSG (and imo the best Gundam stories ever). Maybe watch those after you've finished the MSG/Zeta/CCA story, but it probably doesn't matter.

There's a lot more out there, of course, but I think this is the best way to get started.

Blader5489 said:

Thanks for the info I'll start by buying Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy then.Hope I can find them in the UK
Not worried about the animation since I pretty much only watch the old Anime shows anyway.

Thanks

Blader

Everyone put on your sad faces, Unicorn has been delayed to Spring 2010.

Format is confirmed: six episode OVA, each episode is 50 minutes.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blader5489 said:

:( all my anticipated returning shows gundam & black lagoon are all turning into OVAs.
I dont think they'll ever be a new UC tv series.:lol

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Blader5489 said:

Spring? Fuck! I hope theres some good mecha series in between the release

duckroll

distantmantra said:
Japanese press release from Bandai Visual:
http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/pdf/2009/pr090821.pdf

Sadly, my Japanese isn't good enough to translate it.

Sunrise and Bandai Visual announces the latest OVA series in the Gundam franchise. Gundam Unicorn will be released worldwide simultaneously in Spring 2010 in the form of event screenings, video packages and internet streaming.

What is Gundam Unicorn - Blahblahblahnottranslatingthisshit.

Product Distribution Format - In Spring 2010, Gundam Unicorn will be released via event screenings, video packages and internet streaming simultaneously to reach out to a worldwide audience. Bandai Visual will be releasing the series on DVD and Blu-ray in Japan. Using the Blu-ray format and internet streaming, the series will also be distributed worldwide in English as well as many other foreign languages. From Spring 2010 onwards, Bandai Namco Group will expand the categories of products and services in relation to the series throughout the world.

Short translation: Fuck yes US blu-rays for Unicorn confirmed, guy who said it wouldn't happen is fucking pwned now. We can rejoice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom