• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Wow, seems like they made everyone happy between both versions.

I'm only halfway through DQ1 on GBC. but this is motivation to pick it back up and afterwards try out the rest of the series, heh.

LiK

The PS4 version feels a bit weird to me. The areas are looking great, but it's a bit unusual these days to see environments being so clearly limited by huge cliffs and walls. I wonder if that's just because the game's still early or if the world will limited like this throughout the game. Just looks a bit weird and makes me feel slightly claustrophobic when watching the video.

If it's like DQVIII, I'd expect a bigger world in the final game. Probably still early.

Welp, despicable Enix getting me to double dip. Hoping there's story differences between the two versions so you can grasp the world better playing both and it doesn't feel so same-y.

Bit concerned about the home console version being ready for next year if what they shown is the best they could put together. It looks amazing, but it has a prototype feel to it that one year seems little to shake off entirely. Wonder if battles have some surprises since they skipped them.

Really liked what we saw about the portable version as well, looks way ahead development-wise, old-school touches very appreciated. The 3D part is certainly reminiscent of DQVII remake, even if it wouldn't feel as fresh I still want to play that one.

To be honest, I kinda missed a grand trailer for the game, since we got gameplay of two really different looking versions that supposedly tell the same story, but got no world-view, characters, story.

JimPanzer

I mean as in extra story scenarios exclusive to either the 3DS or PS4 version or exclusive features like multiplayer ect...

Just examples.

I'm sure (and hope!) the versions will differ in some aspects. The verticality of the PS4 version might not be able to reproduce with one of the screens being 2D on the 3DS version.

AmyS

The PS4 and NX versions look absolutely beautiful, super unfinished with lots of work to be done yet (theres clearly not a battle system yet in place for example), but still beautiful.

But its the 3ds version the one that looks super cute and interesting. And it seems to be going along fast and nice.

A funny detail. The circle walled city with the market place below, of PS4/NX video reminded me to the Oxenfurt I read on the Witcher books more, than the Oxenfurt it appears in the final Witcher 3 game.

They only showed the PS4 and 3DS versions. We have no idea what the NX version will look like.

wrowa

I'll take it. I'm a bit tired of gigantic open environments that take a long time to traverse.

Oh, it's not that I want it to be open-world or anything like that. I just think that using huge cliffs and walls is not quite an elegant approach to hide the end of the game world. I don't need a huge game world, but I like to get the illusion that I'm traversing through a huge world that still has lots of life aside from what I'm able to play. Having a steep cliff next to me isn't quite doing that, it looks too obvious like "the world ends here".

But it's still too early to judge that, anyway.

Aeana

I mean as in extra story scenarios exclusive to either the 3DS or PS4 version or exclusive features like multiplayer ect...

Just examples.

Are you talking about DQ11?
If so, I'd say you're being a bit presumptuous. Not that it has anything to do with what I wrote. The extra story in PS3 is irrelevant to the Ni no Kuni comparison, I just pointed it out because it does set it apart based on what we know

But we have absolutely no idea what's the same or different in DQ11 aside from the director saying that they do have the same main story.

autoduelist

2 things.

1. 3DS having 3d and top/down sprites at the same time is AMAZING
2. Ps4 version looks fucking fantastic!

Cant wait

I'm surprised so many people seem to like #1. Just looking at a gif of it gave me a headache; my eyes don't know which to look at and try to look at both.

It seems so... unnecessary.

But hey, if people love it, glad they're doing it.

When I saw NX my first thought was 'Oh... Wow already!?' That's a damn fine show of support for Nintendo's next console but oddly it still doesn't at all confirm exactly what the NX is, is it a tech heavy system like the PS4 (or at least capable of running UE4?) or is it a low quality system that is both a console and portable like many people have been guessing for awhile now.

With a game being released on both 3DS and PS4 it really could go either way. I'm happy either way but man I really didn't see that coming.

rhandino

Banned
Looking at the footage of the 3DS version and i am in love about how you can choose between 3D or 2D battles.

Now let me dream about this coming to this side of the ocean along the other 3DS games T-T

Sheroking

No "NX version" was shown and we have no idea what it will look like.

The logical assumption is that it's a port of some kind based on the PS4 version. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would be made ground up, although I guess it could be.

Interesting implications anyway. Didn't think the first game announced for NX would be a major third party game.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm buying both versions day-one.

Gotta say I'm seriously hyped. I need more DQ in my life. It's been too long since I last played one.

jRPG

I genuinely don't think they could have satisfied me more. Two versions! I had hoped for a home console release, but I didn't even consider two differently developed versions. And the inclusion of the retro screen is genius, and will surely be a joy. I'll almost certainly be picking up both.

CrisKre

Great day for SE and DQ fans. Plus, out of nowhere, NX got a lot more interesting. That's a bigger 3rd party game than Wii u ever had. (assuming its a home console, and no, dq X doesn't cut it because: online)

I will speculate that since there is no dq X vita coming, and it was announced for ps4/NX alongside XI, I'm inclined to believe we are talking about a home console here. Just my 2 cents.

Tabris

Are you seriously complaining about too many games?
Tabris. Come on.

Yeah, when they split up development and/or creative resources.

I rather have one focused game then two split games. It worked for Ni No Kuni though, but it was different release dates and more like NDS was 1.0 and PS3 was 2.0 of that game.

While these look radically different. May as well been 2 separate games.

Caronte

The logical assumption is that it's a port of some kind based on the PS4 version. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would be made ground up, although I guess it could be.

Interesting implications anyway. Didn't think the first game announced for NX would be a major third party game.

Or it could be the 3DS version slightly improved (if it's a handheld). We know nothing of the NX, and this is not the thread to talk about it.

WillyFive

I'm surprised so many people seem to like #1. Just looking at a gif of it gave me a headache; my eyes don't know which to look at and try to look at both.

It's extreme fan service, and a really interesting way of using dual screens. Love it, makes it look more interesting than the empty looking PS4 version (which I wonder if it will be finished in time to release alongside it).

Wow the combo of 2d on the bottom and 3d on top is really amazing to me. Like what a great idea. I mean Just imagine a game like suikoden 5 in 3-d on top, and a 2d version of it like suikoden 2 on the bottom. Thats like one of the first things that popped in my mind. That would be so cool to me.

But that aside I'm a console guy so I'm more looking forward to the ps4 version. Its looking good so far but, I wish there was a bit of battle gameplay, but its looking a bit early. Main character reminds me of an even more generic trunks though..

NX doesn't even matter. Don't even know what that system will be like, and ps4 already got me covered. Dunno why that's even exciting news.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Are you talking about DQ11?
If so, I'd say you're being a bit presumptuous. Not that it has anything to do with what I wrote. The extra story in PS3 is irrelevant to the Ni no Kuni comparison, I just pointed it out because it does set it apart based on what we know

But we have absolutely no idea what's the same or different in DQ11 aside from the director saying that they do have the same main story.

Yeah I was.

Though you're right.

I guess I need to wait to see more of the two games.

AmyS

When I saw NX my first thought was 'Oh... Wow already!?' That's a damn fine show of support for Nintendo's next console but oddly it still doesn't at all confirm exactly what the NX is, is it a tech heavy system like the PS4 (or at least capable of running UE4?) or is it a low quality system that is both a console and portable like many people have been guessing for awhile now.

That's not some SE would disclose, of course. What NX is, and what it consists of is 100% upto Nintendo to reveal.

NX is a surprise.

But those screenshots are a real beauty.

Open world with mountains to climb etc is great. Not interested in the 3DS version (Vita with better Resolution/no second screen would have been better).

Also support for a console we know nothing about. Well i hope NX is cheaper than WiiU.

I rather have one focused game then two split games. It worked for Ni No Kuni though, but it was different release dates and more like NDS was 1.0 and PS3 was 2.0 of that game.

Aren't they farming out loads of these to external studios though? I don't think any one dev is being spread thin here.

Not like there's a vast amount of talent internal to Square anymore.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think it's a great way of having some sort of map on the bottom screen, plus I really like that you can instantly have also the 2D view for battles (with menu in the bottom screen).

There is no logical assumption right now, because we don't know if NX will be a handheld, an home console, a hybrid, if it will run UE4 or not, how much powerful it will be and so on.

KiTA

A few screencaps from /u/olitod on reddit:

2D combat mode:
e7f3359fb4.jpg

3D combat mdoe:
edbcdfa3d9.jpg

d76272c85d.jpg

Aeana

But they're not doing that. Each game has its own team and developer. The only games I feel like this could possibly apply is FF15/KH3, and definitely not to a single one of these DQ projects, which are all directed by different people, produced by different people, and developed by different companies. And outsourcing is the norm for the series. Only one DQ game has ever had internal development in the series's history, and that's 10.

zeox

Both versions look great! now to hold my breath until they announce when it comes out in europe

oh btw, has there been any word on the 3ds version of DQ8 coming out in the west?

Tabris

But they're not doing that. Each game has its own team and developer. The only games I feel like this could possibly apply is FF15/KH3, and definitely not to a single one of these DQ projects, which are all directed by different people, produced by different people, and developed by different companies. And outsourcing is the norm for the series. Only one DQ game has ever had internal development in the series's history, and that's 10.

But they share the same creative team and they are working on both I thought, thus splitting their focus.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know anything.

"We want DQ11 on the NX! Start developing!"
"Cool...so what is the NX going to be like?"
"Umm.. Make a PS4 and 3ds version, that should cover it"

Seems like a square approach.

NX is launching next year. Of course they know.

People shouldn't be too concerned about DQXI looking a bit empty on PS4. UE4 is a great engine and as KH3 shows, development is great with this engine so we'll see more the next time, maybe TGS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

One important note here.

Every numbered DQ game has been done by an outside studio. Even X, which we originally thought was an internal project, was done mainly by Orca. That means outside of funding and a bit of coordination these games don't effect SE development one bit. They're doing the 3DS game to make money in Japan. They're doing the PS4 version to hopefully goose the numbers for Japanese sales of games they are marketing as global titles. This is a total win/win scenario assuming the development is smooth. SE isn't in any immediate financial danger like they were a few years ago.

I'm not a big fan of how the PS4 version looks :( I love the scale and all but the visual style is a step back from DQVIII imo. It looks more like Heroes than DQVIII/Ni No Kuni toon shading style that I was hoping for more. 3DS version is very interesting though and looks much further in development. Will get both.

bomma_man

Oh yeaaaaaah! NX, baby!!!!

Also, DQX on NX makes me hopeful that the NX will run Wii U games. If SE is re-releasing the game on the NX, maybe the architectures are at least similar enough to make porting games easier. If this is true, Nintendo can launch the NX with a huge line-up of great games.

It's also coming to PS4... And is already on PC

Tabris

Oh yeaaaaaah! NX, baby!!!!

Also, DQX on NX makes me hopeful that the NX will run Wii U games. If SE is re-releasing the game on the NX, maybe the architectures are at least similar enough to make porting games easier. If this is true, Nintendo can launch the NX with a huge line-up of great games.

I have a feeling it's the other way around. DQX on PS4 and NX may be more similar / share similar code base from Windows PC, as it can't be a coincidence they announce both here.

I know we can't really do NX guesses here though so I'll just leave it at that.

Top Bottom