• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Roto13

I don't know if this has been posted, but in Act 2 of the Flying Battery zone in Sonic & Knuckles, Knuckles fights Robotnik at the end instead of Egg Robo. :p

FoxSpirit

Blizzard said:
Random comment of the day, probably unintentional:

Mareep is a yellow sheep.
mareep.png

Mareep backwards is Pee Ram.

:lol :lol

Leunam

Killing_Joke said:
This is really old, but i remember being mind blown when i found out Twisted Metal Black was all in sweet tooths head.

What? I don't remember this. When was this revealed in the game?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For all of my gaming life since Final Fantasy 1 on NES, I thought Phoenix Downs were like "Man down" - not as in the DOWN of a PHOENIX. Apparently this was widely-known, but the fact I played a lot of NES RPGs and on always associated it with the type like Man Down. Consider my mind a little broken!

sn00zer

Leunam said:
What? I don't remember this. When was this revealed in the game?
When you unlock
Minion
all his quotes are coded with a simple A=1 B=2 C=3 encryption. When you translate the last one he says that everything that has happend is Sweet Tooth's delusional fantasy

EDIT: There is even talk that the entire series is in a single guys head, and the Marcus family is just his split personalities

SappYoda

From here not sure if true:

Ken Demarest said:
Back on Wing Commander 1 we were getting an exception from our EMM386 memory manager when we exited the game. We'd clear the screen and a single line would print out, something like "EMM386 Memory manager error. Blah blah blah." We had to ship ASAP. So I hex edited the error in the memory manager itself to read "Thank you for playing Wing Commander."

Red Scarlet

Sunflower said:
For all of my gaming life since Final Fantasy 1 on NES, I thought Phoenix Downs were like "Man down" - not as in the DOWN of a PHOENIX. Apparently this was widely-known, but the fact I played a lot of NES RPGs and on always associated it with the type like Man Down. Consider my mind a little broken!

PD's weren't in FF1 for the NES. Mind blown again!!1 :p

I just searched the thread and didn't see this one so I'll post it.
I'm sure many people know this but...
In Mike Tyson's punch out, Tyson would throw his super punches for the first 1 minute and 31 seconds of the first round. I just remembered this is the exact same amount of time it took Tyson to batter poor Michael Spinks. Here's a video of the the fight. The best part is all the hype Michael Buffer says about Spinks before he loses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASFYQOUCEU

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I wouldn't call this mindblowing or anything, but I found a nice little touch in Dragon Quest VIII that I never noticed before.

I was replaying the game and I noticed that whenever you talk to someone, their model grows slightly brighter when they talk, and then the light fades out slightly when they're done. At first I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me, but then I got to the first port town and spoke to two people under a structure (thus they were in shadow). It was REALLY noticeable there, and confirmed my suspicions.

Hardly mindblowing, but cool none-the-less. ^_^

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wondermega said:
what Sonic was originally? wasn't he a rabbit named "Feel," with ears that would grab enemies or something? Then I believe they scratched a lot of that and held some internal contest at SOJ (Sega of Japan) for "design our new mascot," got lots of crab characters and things - someone submitted the standard "sonic with attitude look on his face, legs crossed, pointing finger up" and that was the winner. They took that as impetus and made a game out of it. the "rabbit" thing went on to become Ristar (which I never played), but it's not hard to see since a lot of the menus/UI stuff looks very familiar to the early sonic games.

BTW I haven't read/thought about this stuff in several years, so pardon me if I'd got a couple of these details a bit foggy/mixed-up. Before the Sonic Maniacs go jumping all over me!
This is probably not what was intended at all but.

Feel the Rabbit?

Feel the Magic
Rub Rabbits

Yuji Naka!?

BlakeofT

Talladega Knight said:
I always thought it was awesome that Metroid Prime took into account inertia when falling. You actually gain speed as you fall.

I think you meant that when you fall in MP, you accelerate. Most games actually do this, but you'll probably reach terminal velocity soon after you start falling. Inertia is the resistance of acceleration.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BlakeofT said:
I think you meant that when you fall in MP, you accelerate. Most games actually do this, but you'll probably reach terminal velocity soon after you start falling. Inertia is the resistance of acceleration.
You mean air in that situation.

udivision

Blizzard said:
Random comment of the day, probably unintentional:

Mareep is a yellow sheep.
mareep.png

Mareep backwards is Pee Ram.

It's also an anagram of Ampere (unit for electrical curret) and a contraction of Mary and Sheep. If "Androids Dream of Electric Sheep," then Mareep might be the subject of robo-dreams.

And it's also an anagram of Rape Me...

-x.Red.x-

udivision said:
It's also an anagram of Ampere (unit for electrical curret) and a contraction of Mary and Sheep. If "Androids Dream of Electric Sheep," then Mareep might be the subject of robo-dreams.

!!! @ spoiler

Easy_D

never left the stone age
oracrest said:
Did anyone else think that the yellow triangle was Aghanim's face?

1251507734986.jpg
I used to think he had green hair and that the red jewel on the crown was his mouth when I was a kid, my mind was blown when I realised where his face really was

Easy_D said:
I used to think he had green hair and that the red jewel on the crown was his mouth when I was a kid, my mind was blown when I realised where his face really was

I saw him as an old bald man making an pained face (with the red jewel being his mouth).

oracrest

Easy_D said:

that's exactly what I saw, with mophead hair that covered his eyes.

oracrest said:
Did anyone else think that the yellow triangle was Aghanim's face?

1251507734986.jpg

Does anyone know why Aghanim is green? He is red in all the concept art...and in the comic book. He is only green in the game. Is there a deep, dark secret there?

Alternate

Neo Member
udivision said:

:lol :lol

Roto13 said:
I don't know if this has been posted, but in Act 2 of the Flying Battery zone in Sonic & Knuckles, Knuckles fights Robotnik at the end instead of Egg Robo. :p

I'm pretty sure the Egg Robo sprites for that boss fight are in the data, it was a glitch more than anything intentional that he wasn't swapped.

Easy_D said:

Wow. I always thought that jewel was his mouth too. I thought he had a mop top that covered his eyes. I can't blame it on the fact that I was just a kid, either, as I played through the game last year on the Virtual Console. My mind has been blown yet again.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Coolio McAwesome said:
Wow. I always thought that jewel was his mouth too. I thought he had a mop top that covered his eyes. I can't blame it on the fact that I was just a kid, either, as I played through the game last year on the Virtual Console. My mind has been blown yet again.

strange that you thought that...

shouldnt the face match the hands?

BlueWord

udivision said:

:lol :lol :lol

OnPoint

HUELEN10

OnPoint said:
How the hell do people find things like this out? 256 times? Who sits there and does that?
People who just want to cross the threshold. I do this with Sonic 06 (SOMEONE has to do it!).

Rufus

Roarer said:
It's Italian dude.
Which means that the letter <z> at the beginning of a syllable is pronounced [ts] (think Hertz), which makes more sense to anyone who doesn't know Italian. :p

i always saw the green thing as a hood, and the yellow thing as just part of the hood.

sq5kq1.png

excuse the stereotypical Arab guy. was the first image I found on google images.

Top Bottom