• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2015 (Jul 27 - Aug 02)

The point is that while GBA was selling very well hardware-wise the software sales volume was noticeably lower than PS2.
This wasn't the case for DS and 3DS which were the number one platform in software sale volume in Japan and overall the leading system.

Just think than before 2006 an handheld getting the next mainline Dragon Quest game was almost unthinkable.
So? I don't think the GBA's tie ratio was lower, it's just that back then consoles weren't dying yet.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ray Gigant flopped.

Is it a bad game despite its rather unique battle features?

Not really, its just a simple game that has more of a focus on the narrative. It did sell out on sites like Amazon JP and Amiami for example, but thats more to show that there was just a low general stock. In stores apparently copies still could be found.

Think the standard Exp Inc fans were also wondering how the title would have turned out so there are lots of fence sitters. Since its quite different from the standard DRPG outside of the first person navigation.

they are extremely difficult to please, other then final fantasy and dragon quest on consoles, what's gonna move consoles in japan, splatoon is a huge suprise for me, you just never know which console game will be a success in japan, i mean holy shit those batman and withcer 3 sales are pretty horrible for such big games on a new nextgen console.

Those are great sales for western games in Japan. Especially Witcher 3. You really should remember the historical contrast with western games in Japan. In past they sold pretty much nothing. Even on almighty PS2 GTA games were pretty much only western games selling over 100k in Japan. Now some completely unknown ip for japanese (Witcher) sells over 125k.

Yasumi

Banned
So why are people so weirded out that Ray Gigant bombed? I've never heard about it, but looking at the screenshots it seems pretty low on Otaku content, and considering it's on Vita, shouldn't it be expected to bomb?
Otakuness has nothing to do with it. Experience had a solid hit with Demon Gaze and they've been pumping out games since. With their quick development cycles, maybe the dungeon crawler genre is getting a little oversaturated, especially considering how much of a timesink they are. It did have a better opening week than Operation Babel though.

[PSV] Demon Gaze (Kadokawa Games, 01/24/13) – 25,316 (New)
[PSV] Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss (5pb., 07/24/14) – 15,242 (New)
[PSV] The Stranger of Sword City: Black Palace (Experience, 01/22/15) – 11,559 (New)
[PSV] Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy (5pb., 04/30/15) – 8,104 (New)

phanphare

Banned
oh wow, I also forgot that there's another Splatoon testfire for Japan that's an hour a day for a week

tentacles > legs

Those are great sales for western games in Japan. Especially Witcher 3. You really should remember the historical contrast with western games in Japan. In past they sold pretty much nothing. Even on almighty PS2 GTA games were pretty much only western games selling over 100k in Japan. Now some completely unknown ip for japanese (Witcher) sells over 125k.

and the GTA franchise is a legit series over there now. GTAV has sold really well on both the PS3 and PS4.

Oregano

Otakuness has nothing to do with it. Experience had a solid hit with Demon Gaze and they've been pumping out games since. With their quick development cycles, maybe the dungeon crawler genre is getting a little oversaturated, especially considering how much of a timesink they are. It did have a better opening week than Operation Babel though.

[PSV] The Stranger of Sword City: Black Palace (Experience, 01/22/15) – 11,559 (New)

I imagine a major publisher like Bandai Namco had higher expectations going into the project though. 8k might be okay for 5pb but for Bamco it's terrible.

and the GTA franchise is a legit series over there now. GTAV has sold really well on both the PS3 and PS4.

Yeah. GTA V is a million seller if you combine both PS3 and PS4 versions (Even on PS3 alone it might be pretty close already). Before that last game based on western ip that sold over million in Japan was Crash Bandicoot 3.

The point is that while GBA was selling very well hardware-wise the software sales volume was noticeably lower than PS2.
This wasn't the case for DS and 3DS which were the number one platform in software sale volume in Japan and overall the leading system.

Just think than before 2006 an handheld getting the next mainline Dragon Quest game was almost unthinkable.

Well in that way yes Nintendos handhelds dominate the market even more nowadays. It just has more to do with home consoles dying than with anything else.

Parakeetman

I imagine a major publisher like Bandai Namco had higher expectations going into the project though. 8k might be okay for 5pb but for Bamco it's terrible.

Not really considering they did not seem to have given the title that much of a budget to be created. Same goes for the extra content and such. Bandai Namco was most def lowballing it to play things safe it seems. So its not as if they were expecting some sort of insane sales.

Would not really say its oversaturation.

The problem is, SoSC had 3 versions. X360, PC and the PSV version.

Op Abyss and Babel, was geared more towards the hardcore fans of Exp Inc. A lot of sales with those came from digital is what I had heard and generally seemed to be profitable enough. Those are the general numbers that they pull it seems. Demon Gaze was just an oddity that managed to hit it off better with a larger audience.

Though the Abyss / Babel games had one disadvantage, which was the multiple versions of Cross Blood (4th game in the series) that was released on the PC / X360 and PSV. So only the real hardcore followers were the ones picking up those 2 titles initially with not caring about playing the same general game design, just with redone art assets.

From what I know they seem to be fairly well about having a reasonable budget and expectations which allows for them to be generally profitable with their software sales regardless of low physical numbers. As mentioned they say a lot of sales come from digital also.

ethomaz

Banned
you are going to ruffle some feathers in this thread with that comment
Well it was not my intention :D

I just locked the numbers 5k to 18k WOW... that is a really great increase year over year.

It's a bit disengenuous to say PS4 is doing Wii U levels currently.

It's not doing that well, but Wii U was never really doing above ~15k for any extended period of time outside of Christmas.
I can be wrong but PS4 is doing way better than Wii U levels in Japan... it will catch Wii U lifetime even being released close to 2 years after it.

sörine

Banned
It helps that major franchises are coming to it (FF, DQ, MGS, etc). People who were cautious earlier about buying it now know that there are games that would interest them coming for the machine.
Speaking of which, aren't these sales reflective of the week DQXI was announced?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
you are going to ruffle some feathers in this thread with that comment

You're right because the ps4 is very far removed from selling 'great'. I can also see feathers being ruffled I even see jimmies being rustled with that ludicrous assessment of ps4 sales.

sörine

Banned
Yeah. GTA V is a million seller if you combine both PS3 and PS4 versions (Even on PS3 alone it might be pretty close already). Before that last game based on western ip that sold over million in Japan was Crash Bandicoot 3.
Isn't Minecraft at a million combining all console and handheld releases?

Looking at fire emblem sales it seems like it didn't really grow the franchise much from the last game.
Famitsu has it significantly higher. And I think when all is said and done, this one will do a bit better than Awakening.

Even still, this is a far ways from where the series was pre Awakening.

Oregano

Not really considering they did not seem to have given the title that much of a budget to be created. Same goes for the extra content and such. Bandai Namco was most def lowballing it to play things safe it seems. So its not as if they were expecting some sort of insane sales.

I don't think they were expecting insane sales either but definitely not as low as 8k. They were probably (optimistically) hoping to land at least somewhere around Demon Gaze.

sörine;174258309 said:
Isn't Minecraft at a million combining all console and handheld releases?

Isn't it something like 500k on Vita and 300k on PS3/PS4(?). It will make it to the million no doubt though.

ethomaz

Banned
You're right because the ps4 is very far removed from selling 'great'. I can also see feathers being ruffled I even see jimmies being rustled with that ludicrous assessment of ps4 sales.
It is really selling great.

230% over last year.

Catching the console leader (it will pass it early next year at this rate).

Doing 18k in the slowest month of the year (August) is really great... even more when you compared with these 5k last year.

Great improvement.

I want to see a comparison with PS3 in the same time period... seems like it is really getting some stream.

Celine

So? I don't think the GBA's tie ratio was lower, it's just that back then consoles weren't dying yet.
Guess who was the market leader (software LTD):

PS2: 181M
GBA: 56M
GC: 22M

DS: 177M
PSP: 76M
PS3: 69M
Wii: 66M

3DS: 73M
Vita: 11M
WiiU: 7M
PS4: 4M

Well in that way yes Nintendos handhelds dominate the market even more nowadays. It just has more to do with home consoles dying than with anything else.
You got it the opposite. It was the handhelds (DS) who killed the home consoles (and more recently mobile).
Looks at the jump in software sales from GBA to DS.

Kouriozan

Splatoon +16%, what!
Legs of the year so far.

Animal Crossing did really well, too.

A bit sad about Sengoku Basara lowish sales, we'll never see it again in the West I suppose.

hiska-kun

Media Create Monthly Hardware Sales 2015
Code:
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
| Month |    3DS   |    PSV   |    PS4   |   WiiU   |    PS3   |  XB One  |   Total  |
+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|January|   326.739|   125.809|   107.999|    63.623|    48.930|     1.981|   675.081|
|  Feb. |   168.806|    82.453|   111.015|    26.200|    27.845|     2.513|   418.832|
| March |   125.971|    89.763|   159.420|    28.726|    27.870|     1.346|   433.096|
| April |   130.845|    89.803|    99.936|    50.572|    22.343|     1.852|   395.311|
|  May  |    75.340|    53.883|    51.849|    42.889|    13.011|     1.165|   238.137|
| June  |   100.082|    59.044|    50.917|    65.364|    10.929|       772|   287.108|
| July  |   166.908|    71.087|    94.612|    57.784|    14.524|     1.023|   405.938|
| August|          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Sept. |          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
|October|          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
|  Nov. |          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
|  Dec. |          |          |          |          |          |          |          |
| Total | 1.094.691|   571.842|   675.748|   335.158|   165.452|    10.643| 2.853.534|

The market is recovering after a horrible May and June sales. Note that July is a 5 weeks month. Still, numbers were beating the past months with just 4 weeks too.

Last Year MC Monthly Hardware Sales
Code:
| Month |    3DS   |    PSV   |    PS4   |   WiiU   |    PS3   |  XB One  |   Total  |
|January|   359.838|   179.915|         -|    93.296|    95.633|         -|   728.682|
|  Feb. |   158.188|    77.994|   374.839|    32.573|    43.604|         -|   687.198|
| March |   174.150|   141.999|   118.499|    38.435|    58.839|         -|   531.925|
| April |   149.153|   119.383|    65.029|    32.467|    40.622|         -|   406.654|
|  May  |   106.500|    61.528|    29.323|    42.665|    29.510|         -|   269.526|
| June  |   117.040|    65.678|    32.929|    47.383|    26.944|         -|   289.974|
| July  |   203.875|   133.293|    32.758|    45.903|    36.443|         -|   452.272|
| August|   166.056|    77.905|    24.808|    49.328|    23.017|         -|   341.114|
| Sept. |   143.155|    57.072|    47.894|    32.757|    24.326|    31.116|   336.320|
|October|   563.864|    57.552|    44.941|    28.376|    25.302|     3.811|   723.846|
|  Nov. |   339.588|    70.605|    51.534|    40.900|    19.061|     4.771|   526.459|
|  Dec. |   695.148|   125.646|   148.113|   134.067|    36.016|     3.569| 1.142.559|
| Total | 3.176.525| 1.168.570|   970.667|   618.150|   459.317|    43.267| 6.436.496|

Jamix012

I can be wrong but PS4 is doing way better than Wii U levels in Japan... it will catch Wii U lifetime even being released close to 2 years after it.

Close to 2 years? You mean 1 year and 3 months. In addition I think the PS4 only recently crossed streams with Wii U in terms of launch aligned, if it even has done yet. It will probably still overtake Wii U sometime in 2017 but man...if your bar is do better than the Wii U, that's a low bar.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It is really selling great.

230% over last year.

Catching the console leader (it will pass it early next year at this rate).

Doing 18k in the slowest month of the year (August) is really great... even more when you compared with these 5k last year.

Great improvement.

I want to see a comparison with PS3 in the same time period... seems like it is really getting some stream.

It's selling much better than last year but I don't know in what universe 18K a week qualifies as great. Maybe in a universe where people hate videogames?

DarkTom

Also doing decently well in Germany (Top5 since launch except 1 week iirc) and Spain, but obv. not comparable to France.

Yeah you're right it's really good in most of Europe except UK, where it's decent for a Wii U title in that country.

Damn. Didn't know the gap between PS2 and GBA was that huge. Hell even PS3 sold more sw than GBA.

It's selling much better than last year but I don't know in what universe 18K a week qualifies as great. Maybe in a universe where people hate videogames?

Well in the universe where PS3 pretty much sold around that during normal weeks of its best years. That just has been state of the market since Wii boom years and in that market 18k can be seen decent.

sörine;174259119 said:
I wonder if it had any impact or not then?

I doubt anyone is rushing out to buy a ps4 for a game at least a year away, but a major announcement like that surely builds confidence in the machine as a whole.

Ok? If there was a PS2-level console this gen, 3DS wouldn't be the software leader either, but fortunately for it consoles are dead now.

ethomaz

Banned
Close to 2 years? You mean 1 year and 3 months. In addition I think the PS4 only recently crossed streams with Wii U in terms of launch aligned, if it even has done yet. It will probably still overtake Wii U sometime in 2017 but man...if your bar is do better than the Wii U, that's a low bar.

The Japan market changed... you need to think about that.

18k in a slow month in Japan this gen is really great.

I'm happy PS4 is getting some improvements in Japan... I was really worried after the 2013 sales... Wii U did get a nice boost with Splat too.

Darius

Banned

PSV software sales are really bad considering the amount of support it gets. But I´m not too surprised considering how even great selling IPs like Taiko underperform on the system, besides P4G and Monster Hunter clones there aren´t really many good sellers on the system. Minecraft seems to be the bestselling PSV game but that´s most likely just due to the combination of being one of the biggest IPs worldwide and it beeing a budget title.

hiska-kun

I think it's time to start including the first weeks. Splatoon should only be about 100k behind at this point and will continue to reduce the distance.

When this chart will be done, I'll make a new one including first week and the following weeks.

Parakeetman

PSV software sales are really bad considering the amount of support it gets. But I´m not too surprised considering how even great selling IPs like Taiko underperform on the system, besides P4G and Monster Hunter clones there aren´t really many good sellers on the system. Minecraft seems to be the bestselling PSV game but that´s most likely just due to the combination of beeing one of the biggest IPs worldwide and it beeing a budget title.

being not beeing.

not-the-bees.gif

Its more minecraft is able to be played by anyone. That and a lot of JP youtubers are responsible for keeping the hype alive and well with the game getting folks interested in it. The whole "worldwide" thing you speak of in your post has little to no impact on the reason why people are picking it up here. Though being affordable most def does help. Word of mouth is how it spreads from there and seeing others play it.

random25

Damn. Didn't know the gap between PS2 and GBA was that huge. Hell even PS3 sold more sw than GBA.

It isn't that surprising, given that the GBA got a heavy competition out of the DS in its short lifespan, and PS3 software is still kicking in Japan since almost a decade ago, selling far better than the PS4 counterparts even this year. PS3 software might add a few million more if developers are still making new games and ports for it in a year or two.

Celine

Ok? If there was a PS2-level console this gen, 3DS wouldn't be the software leader either, but fortunately for it consoles are dead now.
If 3DS sold twice what DS did it would crush your PS2-level console.

Yes, throwing out hypothetical scenario mindlessly is embarrassing.

Parakeetman

I don't think they were expecting insane sales either but definitely not as low as 8k. They were probably (optimistically) hoping to land at least somewhere around Demon Gaze.

Considering how the game is designed totally differently, that would be unrealistic. As its not targeting the core fans due to the design changes that they are used to in a DRPG and new fans have no idea what to expect, they most def were expecting low numbers.

Overall watching the whole process seems more like they were experimenting to see if there was any sort of potential in having their own "DRPG" series. Rather than trying to chase after numbers of a previously made title, since if they were planning on doing that, they most def would not have deviated so much from the standard DRPG formula.

Pinky

Banned
Damn!

-Animal Crossing kicking ass out of the gate
-3DS hardware gets a huge bump
-Splatoon still marching strong

Not so damn...

-Yoshi crosses 50,000(I was hopeful it would have better legs and I'm still hopeful it'll perform better in the west, though I'm not sure by how much)

Top Bottom