• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2015

You know what would be great to come out of this?

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Also, if Konami is still supporting Virtual Console releases I still want Metal Gear: Ghost Babel on my 3DS.

maxcriden

I wonder why Startropics seems to be in limbo too.

At least that one's on VC. That's a good game, right?

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold, Crystal....

Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman...

...ummm, the GBC version of Donkey Kong Country....

Man, you know Pokémon VC isn't happening.

GBC DKC? Oh, right. Hmm. I think they'd just as soon not bother since GBA > probably GBC for DKC, and then in that case DKC is on SNES VC.

Wario Blast. Hmm. Probably tied up w/ Konami, right?

sörine;174416016 said:
Kirby Tilt N Tumble! It'd take a little more work than the usual release but I'd love it.

There's a couple other titles I wish they'd have released too yet. Earthbound Beginnings, Lolo 2-3, Star Tropics 1-2, Nintendo World Cup, Tetris DX, Pokémon Pinball, probably some others that are slipping my mind.

Tilt N Tumble I remember playing as a kid. Super fun, I'd really like to play it again.

Oh right, forgot about Tilt 'n Tumble, but I think the problem is it'd only work on the 2DS because if you try to "flip" the system to make Kirby jump, you might make it so the top screen's position shifts becausey you used enough force to make the hinges move.

Oh, dang. Good point. Didn't think about that. Hmm. Probably the reason it hasn't come out. They wouldn't bother making it 2DS only b/c you know people would still get it for 3DS and would understandably "flip" when it affected their system.

Wario Land HD Collection? 1, 2, 3, 4, & VB?

......now I want Shake It on the eShop as well.

I reallllly want to get around to trying Shake It! again. It's right there on our shelf waiting....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Also waiting for a sale. If I should buy one Picross, should I start with e6 and continue to hope for a sale of the earlier or just buy one of the first releases?

Any difference in content/value?
e2 had Micross, where you'd work in small sections in order to make a bigger picture that's based on a famous painting.

e3 doesn't have Micross, but has "Mega Picross", which is a bit hard to explain if you haven't played the series, but basically, instead of the top row saying something like...

[10] - [9]

Where you'd fill in 10 spaces on the first column & then 9 on the second, it'd say

[19]

Meaning you have to fill 19 spaces total in the two columns combined.

I haven't tried e4 (which has bonus puzzles for owning any of the previous 3 games), e5, or e6 yet. I would suggest starting from the beginning to get a hang of the basics & see if the series for you.

n64coder

e3 doesn't have Micross, but has "Mega Picross", which is a bit hard to explain if you haven't played the series, but basically, instead of the top row saying something like...

Picross 3D was my favorite but otherwise, I find Mega Picross to be more challenging than regular Picross.

P.S. bizarre that Nintendo's own PICROSS e6 is listed under "also new" and doesn't get its own spotlight.

Isn't that because the developer/publisher is Jupiter?

Benedict

e2 had Micross, where you'd work in small sections in order to make a bigger picture that's based on a famous painting.

[10] - [9]

Where you'd fill in 10 spaces on the first column & then 9 on the second, it'd say

[19]

Meaning you have to fill 19 spaces total in the two columns combined.

I haven't tried e4 (which has bonus puzzles for owning any of the previous 3 games), e5, or e6 yet. I would suggest starting from the beginning to get a hang of the basics & see if the series for you.

Thanks, I played the Picross games earlier on NDS as well as Picross 3D.

Seem strange that we still haven't seen a version of Picross 3D for 3DS yet..

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've been playing Picross DS for the time being (I actually fully completed Normal Mode yesterday or so) until I can get some more funds for e4, e5, & e6. Really want to try Picross 3D as well.

Oh, & that PR is incorrect about Pokemon Rumble World. To get the Lucky Balloon, you have to reach rank 33, NOT 40. Thank goodness for the free 100 diamonds so I can actually access new areas to get new Pokemon to finally rank up again.

.......say, wasn't a demo for DBZ Extreme Butoden suppose to be released today? I saw some sites report it, but no mention in the PR....OH, it is up! I had to search for it.

There is exactly one good game on VB and they'd either remake that completely or not bother at all.
I guess I'm worse at math than I thought I was 'cause I'm counting three awesome games here... Really now, you should check out Teleroboxer and Mario Tennis. They're not merely good but legitimately among the very best on their respective series, and that's saying a lot when it comes to Punch-Out and Mario Tennis.

I reallllly want to get around to trying Shake It! again. It's right there on our shelf waiting....
Eh, you haven't played WL Shake It?! I thought you would have for sure seeing how much you love Epic Yarn. Good-Feel makes good games, man. They're very aptly named.

Picked up Lost Age! So happy that its finally out. The only thing I'm waiting for now is Super Mario RPG in the states, maybe we'll get it soon now that Japan has it.

Pokemaniac

So I noticed that Citizens of Earth was going on sale. Does anyone know if the bugs in the Wii U version of that were patched?

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• Citizens of Earth (reduced from $14.99 to $4.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 10 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 17.
  • GetClose: A game for RIVALS (reduced from $2.99 to $0.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on August 27.
  • Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (reduced from $14.99 to $7.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
  • Blok Drop U, Spikey Walls, TOSS N GO and more titles from RCMADIAX are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.
  • Plenty of Fishies (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.
  • Tiny Galaxy (reduced from $5.99 to $3.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on August 7 until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (Bandai Namco Games | Demo)
  • Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto (Sonic Powered Co. | Demo)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 10.
  • Citizens of Earth (reduced from $14.99 to $4.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 10 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 17.
  • Brunch Panic, KAMI and Sweet Memories – Blackjack from Circle Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV will be reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 10.
  • A-Train 3D: City Simulator has been reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99).

vYU92.png

Wii U | Sales

• High Strangeness (Midnight City) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends August 9, normally €9.99/£8.99)
  • Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (Curve Digital) - €6.99/£5.99 (Ends August 27, normally €13.99/£12.99)
  • 99Seconds (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.49/£1.34 (Ends September 3, normally €2.49/£2.29)
  • Darts Up (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.49/£1.34 (Ends September 3, normally €2.49/£2.29)
  • Rock 'N Racing Off Road (EnjoyUp Games) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends September 3, normally €5.99/£5.39)
  • Angry Bunnies: Colossal Carrot Crusade (Cypronia) - €3.14/£2.69 (Ends September 5, normally €6.99/£5.99)
  • Cake Ninja 3: The Legend Continues (Cypronia) - €3.69/£3.33 (Ends September 5, normally €4.99/£4.49)
  • Color Zen (Cypronia) - €2.24/£2.24 (Ends September 5, normally €2.99/£2.99)
  • Color Zen Kids (Cypronia) - €2.24/£2.24 (Ends September 5, normally €2.99/£2.99)
  • My Style Studio: Hair Salon (Cypronia) - €3.74/£3.35 (Ends September 5, normally €4.99/£4.49)
  • My Style Studio: Notebook (Cypronia) - €2.39/£2.15 (Ends September 5, normally €2.99/£2.69)

• Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley (Rising Star Games)
    Crop Set 1 (€0.99 | £0.89)
    Crop Set 2 (Free)
    New NPC: Male (€1.49 | £1.39)
    New NPC: Female (€1.49 | £1.39)
    New Outfit Set 3 (Free)

• Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (Bandai Namco Games | Demo)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Brunch Panic (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.49 (Ends August 27, normally €3.99/£3.39)
  • KAMI (CIRCLE Ent.) - €1.99/£1.59 (Ends August 27, normally €2.99/£2.39)
  • Sweet Memories Blackjack (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends August 27, normally €3.99/£3.19)
  • Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games) - €0.99/£0.89 (Ends September 3, normally €2.99/£2.69)
  • Dress To Play: Cute Witches! (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.99/£1.79 (Ends September 3, normally €3.99/£3.59)
  • Football Up Online (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.99/£1.79 (Ends September 3, normally €3.99/£3.59)
  • TOYS VS MONSTERS (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.99/£1.79 (Ends September 3, normally €3.99/£3.99)
  • Hello Kitty & Sanrio Friends 3D Racing (Pqube) - €19.99/£14.99 (Ends September 3, normally €39.99/£29.99)
  • Angry Bunnies (Cypronia) - €4.49/£3.99 (Ends September 5, normally €6.49/£5.99)
  • Bubble Pop World (Cypronia) - €3.74/£3.35 (Ends September 5, normally €4.99/£4.49)
  • Color Zen (Cypronia) - €2.54/£2.54 (Ends September 5, normally €2.99/£2.99)
  • Color Zen Kids (Cypronia) - €2.24/£2.24 (Ends September 5, normally €2.99/£2.99)
  • Fishdom H2O: Hidden Odyssey (Cypronia) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends September 5, normally €4.99/£4.49)
  • My Style Studio: Hair Salon (Cypronia) - €3.74/£3.35 (Ends September 5, normally €4.99/£4.49)

uxwGK.png

Simbabbad

sörine;174419118 said:
Only six releases were ever planned. Six slots to prove project viability and they gave one to Urban Champion. Seal of Quality in action right there.
Indeed. When you compare Nintendo's handling with how the 3D SEGA Classics were handled, in both nature of games, quality and price, it's no wonder the Nintendo 3D Classics didn't work out.

SEGA released either games that specifically used 3D (Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Outrun) or very prestigious classics (Sonic, Streets of Rage 2). Nintendo released fucking Urban Champion as very first 3D Classic, then Kirby NES, Kid Icarus, Excitebike, Xevious and Twinbee, all at much higher price than Sonic, Outrun or Streets of Rage. No wonder it bombed. And then they whined it didn't sell so they stopped.

Why not release F-Zero, Mario Kart, Star Fox SNES, or a main Mario game as 3D Classics? That's what people wanted to see. They saw the 3D effect as a mean to sell us stuff people didn't want at a ridiculous price, and then they cried people weren't interested in 3D.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
sörine;174457590 said:
The DBZ demo also released in America.
Yup, you had to search for it, but it's up (30 play limit). No idea why it was left out of the PR.

sörine

Banned
I would do terrible things for a SNES 3D Classics series from M2. Even if they just went the MD route of 3D hacked roms it'd be great. Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Yoshi's Island, ALTTP, Super Metroid, Kirby SS, Star Fox, Super Punch-Out, so many games could transition so well.

I was kinda hoping we'd get something like this in 2015 what with it being SFC's 25th anniversary and the n3DS button color schemes.

Umibozu

I already have both physical wii xenoblade and xenoblade 3ds, but for those waiting for the game to release on the NA eshop would gamestop's involvement with the publishing previously affect whether we see it come here?

mstevens

Been playing both of the Klonoa gba games and I'm really enjoying them. Somehow missed these the first time around.

jholmes

At least that one's on VC. That's a good game, right?

Only on Wii but yes, StarTropics is really good. Very tough though, but I think on the heels of Binding of Isaac people might see it through new eyes.

The sequel isn't as good (or as hard) but is also worth the $5 for sure.

Umibozu

Games in 2 weeks for Japan (since it's Obon next week, they aren't releasing games digitally)

Wii U
8/19
Never Alone (Unity Games Japan) - 1500 yen
Super Gussun Oyoyo (Bandai Namco) (SNES) - 823 yen
Magical Tree (Konami) (MSX) - 823 yen
Magical Vacation (Nintendo) (GBA) - 702 yen
Kirby 64 (Nintendo) (N64) - 1028 yen

3DS
8/19
Chronus Arc (Kemco) - 800 yen
Fight Pig (Clarice Games?) - 864 yen
8/20
Super Robot Wars BX (Bandai Namco) - 7171 yen
chronus arc looks great, hopefully it makes its way west.

edit: also just played the 3ds dragonball z demo, combos are pretty basic but it seems like it would be a pretty fun button masher

Etria

Yeah, those must be really annoying. What's the third one in the Xenoblade box, by the way? There's USK, Pegi, and...? USK takes more space than the other two combined but, hey, at least it's not rhombus-shaped anymore (there's no shape as kitsch as the rhombus).

the third one is either for Russia or NZ.

The third rating is for Russia. The OFC does always does a coloured background for its age ratings alongside descriptors of the content, such as 'general' and 'parental guidance recommended' (so it does take up quite a bit of space on the front cover as well :/).
This possibly means that Xenoblade Chronicles X will get a separate limited edition for AU/NZ. The other possibility is that we don't get it here at all and will have to import :( But I think most LEs come our way.

Anyways, it's great that Xenoblade on the Wii has been released digitally on the eShop! I honestly didn't expect it since there is the 3DS version. Moreover, I would have rushed to buy it if I didn't have the disc and completed the 3DS version, but this will be a purchase down the road so I can experience another glorious playthrough on the Game Pad.

It's also great to see so many VC releases as well! Like another poster said, I do fervently hope that SE puts Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the eShop so I can finally experience it :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit! 3D Gunstar fucking Heroes is next week already

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think that Dragon Ball Z Demo sold me on the game...looks great on my n3DS in 3D and plays as well. Its been years since i bought my last DB game...hah..great.

bobawesome

I'm not a fan of the DBZ demo. Grandma Goku, no Super Saiyan, and I don't really care for the flow of the combat. I've never been so excited and then disappointed for a demo. I'm not a fan of transformations being separate characters and I hope it's something that was just left out of the demo. Sounds like they are, indeed, separate characters.

I already have both physical wii xenoblade and xenoblade 3ds, but for those waiting for the game to release on the NA eshop would gamestop's involvement with the publishing previously affect whether we see it come here?
Gamestop didn't publish Xenoblade in America, Nintendo did. Gamestop just sold it, which shouldn't affect a NA Wii U release in any way.

daydream

Banned
I think that Dragon Ball Z Demo sold me on the game...looks great on my n3DS in 3D and plays as well. Its been years since i bought my last DB game...hah..great.

i was positively surprised, as well. going back to the roots as opposed to making another superfluous 3d arena brawler was certainly the way to go

audio was strangely lo-fi, though. seems like they didn't bother to record some fresh voice clips for this.

maxcriden

Only on Wii but yes, StarTropics is really good. Very tough though, but I think on the heels of Binding of Isaac people might see it through new eyes.

The sequel isn't as good (or as hard) but is also worth the $5 for sure.

Neat, thanks for the info. It's a Zeldalike?

jholmes

Neat, thanks for the info. It's a Zeldalike?

Everything foltzie1 said is very true, but I would add that StarTropics is much more projectile-based and much tougher than Zelda. It's based on jumping and the jumping is very restrictive. It's also a full-on action game with completely separate RPG elements reserved for the overhead segments. It's a really neat game! The sequel is easier and sort of fan-servicey.

maxcriden

Everything foltzie1 said is very true, but I would add that StarTropics is much more projectile-based and much tougher than Zelda. It's based on jumping and the jumping is very restrictive. It's also a full-on action game with completely separate RPG elements reserved for the overhead segments. It's a really neat game! The sequel is easier and sort of fan-servicey.

Thanks guys.

Which definition of fan service are we talking about here, though? :/

maxcriden

I don't think the animeboobs kind of fan-service applies to an NES game or even was a thing back on those days.

You say that, but...I'm afraid to do research here but I can't say for certain you're right. I figured jholmes didn't mean that sort of fan service, but I just figured better safe than sorry.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You say that, but...I'm afraid to do research here but I can't say for certain you're right. I figured jholmes didn't mean that sort of fan service, but I just figured better safe than sorry.

Just play the game son. It was fine for my 9 year old self so you can def handle it now. LoL

daydream

Banned
I don't think the animeboobs kind of fan-service applies to an NES game or even was a thing back on those days.

gratuitous fanservice was definitely a big thing in the '90s, though i'll grant you that the nes was perhaps not the place for it (gotta look towards stuff like tg-16, pc-based platforms and other obscurities for that)

foltzie1

Thanks guys.

Which definition of fan service are we talking about here, though? :/

It's fun, I had both games on the NES. The first game is Nintendo hard at places and would benefit from the Wii U save state option, but give it a go on the Wii if you like.

It's nothing you wouldn't find in a very-early-morning children's cartoon. Your sensibilities are extremely safe here, Max, rest assured. This is early 90s Nintendo of America we're talking about here. They were even closer to sainthood back then than you could ever be now!

Mikurden

Even though I'm a huge Zelda fan, I recently realized that StarTropics is probably my favorite NES game (with a great story and the best ending I've seen in a game of this era), however I think the unusual controls are worth mentioning. From http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/startropics/startropics.htm (probably best not to look at the whole article due to spoilers):

Unfortunately, the controls are a bit awkward, which tends to turn people off StarTropics. The movement works on a grid system, it's not possible to just move a few pixels, and Mike always has to move over a whole square. Furthermore, in order to walk in a direction, it has to be held down for a split second before Mike actually moves. Unless he's next to water, he can only jump straight up. And the only way to move from tile to tile is to jump, which can take a long time if there are plenty of tiles in the room. Even compared to the original Legend of Zelda from 1986, the movement feels restrictive and can get frustrating when the rooms are filled with enemies.

The reason for the delay is because pressing in a new direction just changes the direction you're facing, so you can re-orient yourself without moving (there actually is no delay if you press in the direction you're already facing). It can take some getting used to and be a bother in the more intense action sequences and I was going to say that it was a deliberate/necessary design choice in this game, but I'm not sure that's true now that I think about it. In any case, the unique tile-based portions of gameplay where you need to be careful about where you're jumping give the game a different kind of puzzle-action feel, almost a bit like the Lolo games. This is what makes it play very unlike a Zelda game to me (and the fact that beyond your upgradable main weapon, all of the many other items/weapons are limited-use, not part of an ever-expanding arsenal), but I understand the sequel is not like this (for better or worse, I haven't played it yet).

maxcriden

It's nothing you wouldn't find in a very-early-morning children's cartoon. Your sensibilities are extremely safe here, Max, rest assured. This is early 90s Nintendo of America we're talking about here. They were even closer to sainthood back then than you could ever be now!

Hahaha. KYB, you always crack me up. Thanks.

Top Bottom