• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Ludi said:
no idea why, but I saw that one two. is there any reason why i would picture pikachu in there?

Have you even seen the pokemon anime series?

They always has a "which Pokemanz is this?" bit around commercials, where you only saw the silhouette of a Pokemon, then after the commercial they would reveal which one it was.

Teknoman

AzureJericho said:
Oh then something else just came to mind. For those that hung around the Unleashed official thread, wasn't there a post from /v/ that basically nodded to all of the specifics that have been mentioned for Needlemouse currently?

Pretty much.

FrostuTheNinja said:
Well, it's good to know that I called 2.5D and that's what it is. Here's hoping it doesn't blow.

It won't.

Allegedly. I know it'll most likely be 2.5D graphics style, but I still think that needlemouse image is fake.

Then again with Sega you never know....but i cant see them not using the Hedgehog Engine.

_dementia said:
but the domain was registered august 21, making this a bit less possible

"A few forum members on the SSMB have dug up WHOIS information and have found that, while the domain name was registered back on the 21st August 2009, the nameservers link to one ‘dreamhost.com’ – obviously, this isn’t exactly the sort of host you’d expect to see an official SEGA website on. The fact that SEGA are usually so protective of leaked images, and hardly ever release concept artwork, suggest that this webpage could either be a clever hoax or a lead-up to some sort of fan project."

-Sonic Stadium

It could just be a fanproject seeing how its not like most die hard Sonic fans havent heard of the Needlemouse concept name.

neddlemouse.jpg

Teknoman said:
Allegedly. I know it'll most likely be 2.5D graphics style, but I still think that needlemouse image is fake.

Then again with Sega you never know....but i cant see them not using the Hedgehog Engine.

I'd pretty much bank on it. With the way things were quoted...

He also said the game's concept was a response to "old-school Sonic fans" who "have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay."

If the game were 2D they would have probably said, "2D gameplay" not "2D style of gameplay". The operative word being style. My guess is that they are just playing around with words and such to throw people off.

I look forward to more news about it...

Edit:

It has to be an official game...

Sega associate brand manager Ken Balough confirmed that Project Needlemouse will feature HD graphics.

Why would Sega's brand manager comment on a fan made game?

Teknoman

Also I just found out that Sonic might have been saving a damsel in distress from the start

Early%20Sonic%20Work%203.jpg

Never heard of the Madonna chick. Seems the Princess in Sonic 06 might just been a very old idea coming to fruition.

FrostuTheNinja said:
I'd pretty much bank on it. With the way things were quoted...

If the game were 2D they would have probably said, "2D gameplay" not "2D style of gameplay". The operative word being style. My guess is that they are just playing around with words and such to throw people off.

I look forward to more news about it...

Edit:

It has to be an official game...

Why would Sega's brand manager comment on a fan made game?

Im talking about the image with the crazy green hill zone esque platforms, not the game itself. No one knows if needlemouse.com is legit or not. I know theres a new official game coming, and its codenamed Project Needlemouse, I just think that Needlemouse.com is fanmade.

Deft Beck

AzureJericho said:
Oh then something else just came to mind. For those that hung around the Unleashed official thread, wasn't there a post from /v/ that basically nodded to all of the specifics that have been mentioned for Needlemouse currently?

Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Dear Sega,

Sonic 1-3s were never really about speed. I know that's how you marketed it, but really it's about MOMENTUM and PLATFORMING. The stupid insta-dash and homing moves you've included in EVERY SINGLE POST-GENESIS INCARNATION do little other than CHEAPEN THE SATISFACTION OF MOVING QUICKLY.

In short, no boost meter, no homing attacks, no side characters, no humans, no hub-world. Every time Sonic leaves the ground he should curl up into a ball.

You might consider saving the spin-dash for the sequel so you can nail everything else first.

Also, don't even include Tails this time.

Regards,
An ex-fan

Ps: Level design is EVERYTHING. Whenever you feel the need to WRITE DIALOGUE or make Sonic a WEREWOLF or something, it's actually the level designers' fault.

Funchameleon said:
Dear Sega,

Sonic 1-3s were never really about speed. I know that's how you marketed it, but really it's about MOMENTUM and PLATFORMING. The stupid insta-dash and homing moves you've included in EVERY SINGLE POST-GENESIS INCARNATION do little other than CHEAPEN THE SATISFACTION OF MOVING QUICKLY.

In short, no boost meter, no homing attacks, no side characters, no humans, no hub-world. Every time Sonic leaves the ground he should curl up into a ball.

You might consider saving the spin-dash for the sequel so you can nail everything else first.

Regards,
An ex-fan

Ps: Level design is EVERYTHING. Whenever you feel the need to WRITE DIALOGUE or make Sonic a WEREWOLF or something, it's actually the level designers' fault.
I like the cut of this guy's jib.

Let me in

Funchameleon said:
Dear Sega,

Regards,
An ex-fan

You're 100% right. It's almost like these people don't know their own games. And, quite frankly, they don't.

The holy trinity of Sonic games had speed in short bursts, but the game was usually about jumping, not running.

no QTE shit in my Sonics ever again please!!!
Sonic Unleashed shoved life threatening QTEs in the middle of high speed nuttery and aaaaaaaaaa
fuck QTEs

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Teknoman said:
Im talking about the image with the crazy green hill zone esque platforms, not the game itself. No one knows if needlemouse.com is legit or not. I know theres a new official game coming, and its codenamed Project Needlemouse, I just think that Needlemouse.com is fanmade.

Hey there everyone,

First off, nice to meet you! I'm a longtime reader (and more recently a poster) here at NeoGaf, and I work at SEGA of America in our community team. The Valkyria Chronicles guys here at GAF know me, but besides that a quick tip of the hat to all the Sonic fans around.

There's not a lot I can say about Needlemouse right now, but I can confirm for everyone that Needlemouse.com is not official or related to the official project, and the art there is all fan-made.

Just wanted to clarify that - thanks!

RubyEclipse said:
Hey there everyone,

First off, nice to meet you! I'm a longtime reader (and more recently a poster) here at NeoGaf, and I work at SEGA of America in our community team. The Valkyria Chronicles guys here at GAF know me, but besides that a quick tip of the hat to all the Sonic fans around.

There's not a lot I can say about Needlemouse right now, but I can confirm for everyone that Needlemouse.com is not official or related to the official project, and the art there is all fan-made.

Wait, come back here! Is this game going to suck or not?

Answer carefully.

Quick, he's getting away...!

EDIT - Wanted to add - thanks for coming into the lions den and clarifying Needlemouse.com for us. I feel many are relieved.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RubyEclipse said:
Hey there everyone,

Thanks for stopping in and letting us know!

RubyEclipse said:
Hey there everyone,

I've seen you from the VC thread before. Rejoice!

mr_nothin

Banned
RubyEclipse said:
Hey there everyone,

Just make a 2.5D sidescrolling game that expands on the Sonic universe and stays true to the Genesis versions with a few added special effects and powerups. Add in co-op online for 2 ppl with Sonic/Tails or Sonic/Knuckles. Those are the only main characters needed. Forget all those other 'friends'. Kill them off.

End result = Awesome Sonic game that will sell.
Odds of this happening = 0

mr_nothin said:
Add in co-op online for 2 ppl with Sonic/Tails or Sonic/Knuckles. Those are the only main characters needed. Forget all those other 'friends'. Kill them off.

He is but one man.

shittyshittyshitshits.jpg

For what you are proposing, what we need, is an army.

Teknoman

RubyEclipse said:
Hey there everyone,

Thanks for the heads up. Also side note for everyone else, Valkyria Chronicles is awesome and if you own a PS3, you need to buy it.

Also brace for the GAF > Internet > GAF effect :lol

RubyEclipse said:
Hey there everyone,

Please print this and give a copy to everybody at Sega. Thanks!

1) Do NOT add new characters: You already have more than enough characters to work with. You definitely have no need to make more, and apparently it is in your company's best interest to add more depth and purpose to the characters already at your disposal. If you must add characters to this game, I would ask that you start working on the Sonic characters from the early '90s that have otherwise been ignored. Try working on Mighty the Armadillo, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Fang the Sniper, Heavy & Bomb, Metal Knuckles, or even Bean the Dynamite. Of course, Tails and Knuckles have already been at the forefront of your attention, so I don't ask that you abandon these two important characters, but otherwise work these characters appropriately into their respective places in the classic Sonic lore.

2) Go back to the original Badnik designs: In the beginning, Dr. "Eggman" Robotnik encapsulated innocent animals known as "Flickies" into creature-like robots called "Badniks." As of late, your more recent games have abandoned this concept for a more lifeless or android-like approach to Robotnik's creations. If you intend to stay close to the classic design, Badniks must be brought back to the animal-like design -- a design which actually brought more personality to the game. The android approach should only be restricted to Robotnik's "Metal" series, by which I refer to Metal Knuckles, Bionic Sonic (Sonic 2), Metal Sonic (Sonic CD), and Mecha Sonic (Sonic & Knuckles).

3) Do not implement alien creatures into the game: No Iblis, no Gaia, no Dark Brotherhood, no chaos monsters from the center of the earth, none of that. The only enemies that Sonic and his friends need to combat are Dr. Robotnik and his wacky mechanical creations, and nothing more.

4) It's not all about speed: If you look at the Genesis Sonic games of old, you'll realize that the levels were never really all about speed. We never wanted Sonic to run at 300 miles per hour, and as a matter of fact, this high speed actually ruined the level design of recent games. It's much too easy to smack into spikes or other hazards when running that fast. The great Sonic levels of old were all about exploration. The speed was not only a reward for the player's skill, but it was also used as a superpower to either blast through areas quickly or to activate some environmental objects. The classic games' Time Bonus was meant to be a reward for the player's mastery of getting through the level as quick as possible. Speed was never mandatory, it was rewarded. Take Sonic 3 or Sonic CD, for example. The levels had so many hidden rooms and routes that, when explored, led to fantastic discoveries and great rewards. I ask that the development team at Sega pay close attention to the designs of the levels from Sonic 1-3, CD, and Sonic & Knuckles. Make each zone an adventure, not an obstacle course.

5) Keep the cutscenes and voice acting to a minimum: If you look at the games Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic the Hedgehog CD, you'll notice that the game had a great way of telling the story without lengthy cutscenes or any amount of dialogue. Cutscenes always played themselves out as you progressed through a level, or in the case of Sonic CD, cutscenes played themselves out after the title screen and appeared once the game was won. The most dialogue ever used in the early '90s Sonic platformers was a triumphant "Yes!" from Sonic when he obtained an extra life, or "I'm outta here" if he was left tapping his foot for too long, and that was all the dialogue we needed, and yet we could still enjoy the game. However, if you ever do consider using voices in this game, I personally ask that you try to find someone who can emulate the Sonic voice from Sonic CD, but that decision is up to you.

6) Use the classic surreal designs from the early Sonic games: No more of these semi-realistic designs that you used in Unleashed, Sonic 2006, and the Adventure series. Make them as weird and surreal as possible. Look at the designs in Sonic CD and Knuckles' Chaotix for reference. They were vivid, surreal, unpredictable, and yet they felt natural to Sonic's world. This is the design style you should be striving for.

7) Make special gimmicks for each zone: I really don't want to see a grinding rail, a dash ring, or a dash pad in every single zone like there was in Sonic Adventure 2 and every one of the other Sonic games that came after it. Springs and spikes should be the only staples to be used in every zone, because they work and they work well. Create wild and fun new gimmicks that fit well with each zone's different environment. Look at the gimmicks in the early '90s Sonic platformers for reference.

8) Ditch Green Hill Zone for good: I noticed on your website that you are using three-dimensional models that look like pieces from Green Hill Zone. Do not make another Green Hill! Your company has already done this level to death in countless Sonic games (including re-releases), so it really needs to go away. It's had a good run, but you need to go beyond Green Hill Zone for classic Sonic level design.

9) Music needs to sound like classic Sonic music: I strongly discourage use of heavy metal, songs with lyrics (like the ones from the Adventure series), or the new-age techno-like tracks that appeared in Sonic 2006. I encourage you to strive for upbeat, '90s pop-style tracks; these were the kinds of tracks found in the classic Genesis Sonic games, and were one of the games' major high points. These songs are still upbeat and catchy to this day. I suggest hiring Masafumi Ogata, Naofumi Hataya (both of Sonic CD fame), and Howard Drossin to write these songs for you. You could even try hiring Spencer Nilsen; his tracks in the US version of Sonic CD weren't half-bad at all. Just stick to the '90s style of music, and I promise that you'll be fine.

10) No required Super Sonic levels: Levels played as Super Sonic should only be a bonus for the player, as it was in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Games like Sonic Rush have been chastised for requiring the player to collect all of the Chaos Emeralds to beat the game. Back in the day, the emeralds would grant the player a bonus reward at the end of the game. Keep it this way, as a challenge for Sonic players to get even better.

11) Do not rush this game!: If your development team ever needs more time to perfect this Sonic game, then by all means, we encourage you to push back the release date! So many of Sega's recent Sonic games have either been buggy or sub-par because of rushed release dates. If you need the time to make this game incredible, then please, take all the time you need. It should only become better because of it.

It's from Blue Emerald on sonic retro.

Mama Robotnik said:
He is but one man.

Bean the Dynamite isn't a sonic character. He's an AM2 character, who predates Sonic, who guest starred in 1 sonic game.

EDIT: Flicky also predates Sonic.

Teknoman

The Power Of Snap said:
Please print this and give a copy to everybody at Sega. Thanks!

8) Ditch Green Hill Zone for good: I noticed on your website that you are using three-dimensional models that look like pieces from Green Hill Zone. Do not make another Green Hill! Your company has already done this level to death in countless Sonic games (including re-releases), so it really needs to go away. It's had a good run, but you need to go beyond Green Hill Zone for classic Sonic level design.

You kinda missed the part where he said needlemouse.com and said images are NOT from the official Sega set of concept images nor affiliated with project needlemouse.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Mama Robotnik said:
He is but one man.

The whole top row besides Amy is what it should be. everyone else can die

they can have shadow if they can make him interesting. i had fun with him in sonic adventure 2

CB3 said:
The whole top row besides Amy is what it should be. everyone else can die

they can have shadow if they can make him interesting. i had fun with him in sonic adventure 2

Nooooo.

Forget that lame emo-hog.

If you must have one wild card, have it be Nack.

At least he's somewhat funny!

TheSonicRetard said:
Bean the Dynamite isn't a sonic character. He's an AM2 character, who predates Sonic, who guest starred in 1 sonic game.

EDIT: Flicky also predates Sonic.

Both true points, but as friends of the Hedgehog they belong in the grid. For the record, I'm rather fond of the Flicky's.

CB3 said:
How different we are. In my world, Shadow the Hedgehog would be the first to be excised.

121221.png
12122.png

There is nothing acceptable about this character.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I said Sonic Adventure 2. He wasnt running with guns and driving cars at that point yet

Rlan

TheSonicRetard said:

The Dynamite Dux were Bin and Pin, not Bean. He's a homage to them, but his only appearance is in a Sonic game :)

Rlan said:
The Dynamite Dux were Bin and Pin, not Bean. He's a homage to them, but his only appearance is in a Sonic game :)

Bin and Bean are pronounced the same, and spelled the same in Japanese. Sonic the Fighters also called him Robotnic.

EDIT: And no, BEAN's only appearance isn't in a sonic game. Fighters Megamix.

RubyEclipse said:
Hey there everyone,

can you tell us if the game will be good

Rlan

TheSonicRetard said:
Bin and Bean are pronounced the same, and spelled the same in Japanese. Sonic the Fighters also called him Robotnic.

EDIT: And no, BEAN's only appearance isn't in a sonic game. Fighters Megamix.

Bin and Pin are also Blue and Red, while Bean is Green :p (With his alternate colour scheme being Bin)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TheSonicRetard said:
The internet has beaten GAF for a good 45 minutes. TSSZ had this on their front page nearly an hour ago. BEFORE RubyEclipse posted on GAF.

I actually just looked at TSSZ a couple minutes ago and saw that story. When I read their source was a different Sega rep than RubyEclipse, I figured they had published the news first. I kinda wish they'd put timestamps on their posts, though.

Teknoman

TheSonicRetard said:
The internet has beaten GAF for a good 45 minutes. TSSZ had this on their front page nearly an hour ago. BEFORE RubyEclipse posted on GAF.

What...this cant be!

huitk1.jpg

EDIT: On a serious note, whats better? Sonic Stadium or TSSZ? Looking for a default place to go scan for Sonic stuff from time to time.

Rlan said:
Bin and Pin are also Blue and Red, while Bean is Green :p (With his alternate colour scheme being Bin)

Clearly... Yu Suzuki is color blind!

I got nothin :lol

Teknoman said:
What...this cant be!

huitk1.jpg

EDIT: On a serious note, whats better? Sonic Stadium or TSSZ? Looking for a default place to go scan for Sonic stuff from time to time.

Sonic Retro.

Or Sonic Cult if you're all edgy and like swear words.

Dipper145

I'm really hoping they include some cool new friends of sonic that have interesting abilities instead of sticking to sonic the whole time, that would be super boring.

mr_nothin

Banned
CB3 said:
I said Sonic Adventure 2. He wasnt running with guns and driving cars at that point yet
Sonic Adventure 2 was the best 3d Sonic. The Sonic parts at least...Loved the sense of speed and everything.

But definately stick to 2.5D and not like that Unleashed craaap. I dont want the Special Stage running bs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom