• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh, Working Designs and your wacky translations!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yoritomo said:
Actually I think this is the only WD game released for a Sega system I don't own.
Ew, you bought Vay?
Regulus Tera said:
Marina was always my favourite of the trio. <3
Wait, did they change the names in this translation too? In the source, their names were Umi, Fuu, and Hikaru.

Yoritomo

Shig said:
Ew, you bought Vay?

Everything but their TG-16 games, Alundra, and MKR. Sad too, cause I've got some other nice Saturn, rarities.

I forgive them picking up Vay for translating Popful Mail.

Eric C

Shig said:
Ew, you bought Vay?

Wait, did they change the names in this translation too? In the source, their names were Umi, Fuu, and Hikaru.

No the names were the same Umi, Fuu, and Hikaru.

IIRC they went through the extra effort to get the rights to use the original names. For some reason (which I can't remember) the rights to the names had to be cleared separately from just licensing the game and it would have been much easier to just make up new names. Maybe it had something to do with the anime company that dubbed the series for the US? I know the anime and game theme songs were different.

obonicus

Whimsical Phil said:
Magic Knight Rayearth is a shojo manga/anime. It's intended for teenage girls. I don't read Japanese myself, and I haven't played the original, untranslated MKR Saturn game, but I can pretty much assure you that it didn't contain any felching jokes.

In the West, at that time, it was watched by late-teenage/college-age boys (just like other Shojo series like Sailor Moon or Fushigi Yuugi).

Tellaerin said:
In general, I just have a problem with would-be localizers trying to turn dialogue into something it originally wasn't because they think they can 'improve' the source material. I want the localized text to convey the essence of the original as closely as possible. That means if a character's serious in the original text, they stay serious in translation. If they crack a joke that wouldn't make sense to a Westerner because it's rooted in Japanese language or culture, then substitute something that comes closest to conveying the same feeling to a Westerner in English. Don't make gratuitous changes to the dialogue or add humor and pop-culture references if the original text didn't have them.

Pretty sure Working Designs was notorious for doing exactly that with many (nearly all?) the games they translated, to varying degrees. MKR is obviously a more extreme example, but yeah. Definitely not the first or last time they did it.

Nemesis_

I still wish Sony approved their release of this...

Goemon_-_Bouken_Jidai_Katsugeki_Coverart.png

....or was it not as good as the N64 games? >_>

Shouta

Ah, MKR. It suffers a bit of the overly "funny" dialogue that Albert Odyssey had, i.e. usually pretty inappropriate for the situation. Thankfully, Lunar, Arc The Lad, and Growlanser lacked that with the jokes being jokes and the game being the game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
obonicus said:
In the West, at that time, it was watched by late-teenage/college-age boys (just like other Shojo series like Sailor Moon or Fushigi Yuugi).
Mreh, not so much. I'll grant you that the number of its female fans in the US that actually had a Saturn was probably a pittance, though, so I don't think it was necessarily a misguided decision to skew the humor a bit towards boys. They just skewed it a bit too far.

t3nmilez

Ah, WD truly was ahead of the time! I never played Rayearth but I always loved their localizations. I remember laughing my ass off when playing Albert Odyssey when it came out, I almost wish more localization teams did things like that. WD was the type of team which can turn a dry Japanese script into a very entertaining English one, which is not always so easy to do.

People should use this thread to post more excellent quotes from their games!

Mareg

Alright, you've done it !

Time to hook up my saturn and remove the shiny shrinkwrap from that game.
I think I'm in for a good read :)

:lol

They went a little crazy with MKR, but in my opinion, it made it a fun game for adults to play, as opposed to a straight translation which would have been a fun game for little girls and men who wish they were little girls.

I do remember Albert Odyssey being a bit too much, but that's the only time a goofy translation bugged me at all. Dragon Force wouldn't have been nearly as fun as it was without all the funny General dialogue.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
obonicus said:
That's great, but the post that I was responding to was wondering if the original Japanese version contained as much innuendo as the Working Designs translation. The western audience at the time had nothing to do with the question.

Never played MKR, but I wish translations were as good as Working Designs these days.

I can't tell you how many times I've rolled my eyes at too literal translations.

Also Working Designs had the best manuals, box art, and packaging ever.

It always felt like a company that cared for its fans. I'm pretty sure they had a live person answer their hint line number back in the day too. I could be wrong though.

vireland

Segata Sanshiro said:
:lol

They went a little crazy with MKR, but in my opinion, it made it a fun game for adults to play, as opposed to a straight translation which would have been a fun game for little girls and men who wish they were little girls.

I do remember Albert Odyssey being a bit too much, but that's the only time a goofy translation bugged me at all. Dragon Force wouldn't have been nearly as fun as it was without all the funny General dialogue.

I'll answer a few from the thread all in one here:

If you thought the final text in Albert Odyssey was wild, you should have seen the FIRST draft of Albert Odyssey. My initial plan was to only edit that text and have someone else do it all, but the first draft was SO out there, I had to heavily edit and rewrite just to get it down to the "crazy" version that was released.

The girls of Rayearth were renamed for the US to be more friendly, to Marine (Umi), Anemone (Fuu), and something else for Hikaru that I forget. They were RIDICULOUS changes and we flatly refused, especially since SEGA didn't bother to tell us until the game was almost done (and audio recorded). It would have been a DISASTER to use the terrible "improved" US names.

There's only been one scene in a game that we ever had to edit out and re-do because the console manufacturer wouldn't approve it as-is. It was in Alundra, and I thought it was a GREAT double entendre, but it dropped jaws at SCEA and amongst some of the press who got it in the review copies. SCEA made us take it out of the game before they'd publish it. I have a screenshot somewhere of the first version. I'll see if I can find it.

We're still plugging away at Gaijinworks. RPG's, I promise. And lately some other stuff that should make some very happy people.

goodcow

AZ Greg said:
<3

I really need to track down a copy of AO.

I don't understand why people liked Albert Odyssey. I own it and always found it to be boring. Same thing with Shining Wisdom.

Dragon Force/MKR are amazing though. I still need to buy a copy of Iron Storm some day.

MKR was such a good game and the translation just made it that much better.

This thread is making me want to dig out my copy and play it again.

AZ Greg

goodcow said:
I don't understand why people liked Albert Odyssey. I own it and always found it to be boring. Same thing with Shining Wisdom.

Dragon Force/MKR are amazing though. I still need to buy a copy of Iron Storm some day.

For me, it's mostly about nostalgia. I played it when I was like 11 or 12 and it was the first JRPG I played start to finish. The humor, albeit a little over the top, spiced up what was pretty generic gameplay and horrible, horrible load times going into and out of battles. The soundtrack was pretty good as well.

vireland

Okay, found it. This is the puzzle where you have to stand on Meia's head and let her carry you across a gap.

Here's the part where she's carrying you:

head_rider1.jpg

And this is what she originally said when she dropped you off on the other side:

head_rider2.jpg

We literally got calls from almost all the reviewers cracking up and saying "are you REALLY shipping with that in?" I was happy because I knew they actually were PLAYING the game they were reviewing to the end (becoming a rarity, even back then). We intended to leave it, but SCEA made us take it out. Only time that ever happened (besides the other exchange in this same game that was axed at the same time).

IrishNinja

vireland said:
There's only been one scene in a game that we ever had to edit out and re-do because the console manufacturer wouldn't approve it as-is. It was in Alundra, and I thought it was a GREAT double entendre, but it dropped jaws at SCEA and amongst some of the press who got it in the review copies. SCEA made us take it out of the game before they'd publish it. I have a screenshot somewhere of the first version. I'll see if I can find it.

We're still plugging away at Gaijinworks. RPG's, I promise. And lately some other stuff that should make some very happy people.

posts like this are highlights for me. i gotta see this.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I have a copy of the Japanese release of MKR just sitting on my shelf. Is it worth my time without whacky translations?

I don't have any problem with translators taking some liberties and changing jokes when they are too culturally specific to translate or what have you. But falling back of sex jokes all the time is pretty pathetic. Falling back on pop culture references, as WD also did, is even more pathetic. But I played them anyway because I liked the games, especially Silhouette Mirage.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
vireland said:
Okay, found it. This is the puzzle where you have to stand on Meia's head and let her carry you across a gap.

*snip*

hahahaha absolutely love it. Would that kind of stuff fly today?

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dragon Force wouldn't have been nearly as fun as it was without all the funny General dialogue.

Man, the dialogue (the taunts, the jeers, the insults) was so much fun in that game. Really made it a blast to play.

vireland said:
And this is what she originally said when she dropped you off on the other side:

Oh my. :lol

vireland said:

You heard it here first, folks. Tengai Makyou: The Fourth Apocalypse and a host of 360 Cave shmups confirmed for GainjinWorks localization!

Sex jokes and pop culture references are funny, though, and legitimately funny moments are something that are seriously underrepresented in gaming.

Sometimes it seems like game design is filled with people who take themselves and life too seriously, but I guess a lot of the fans are that way, too.

Mike M

Nick N
What was so crazy about the translation of Albert Odessey? All I remember being even remotely weird was a girl speaking with Ebonics.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hmm, so after seeing the Alundra early pic, and other notes, these translations were outrageous simply for the sake of being outrageous?

Well, I guess you can't really call them translations, it's just completely different dialogue altogether.

vireland said:

head_rider1.jpg

head_rider2.jpg

We literally got calls from almost all the reviewers cracking up and saying "are you REALLY shipping with that in?" I was happy because I knew they actually were PLAYING the game they were reviewing to the end (becoming a rarity, even back then). We intended to leave it, but SCEA made us take it out. Only time that ever happened (besides the other exchange in this same game that was axed at the same time).

dude! that is awesome! i love you guys!

sega4ever said:
after looking at these screens maybe it was best that working designs didnt bring over sakura taisen.
Yeah, that's true, it can be pretty hard to maintain a stiffy while you're laughing your ass off.

vireland

dallow_bg said:
Hmm, so after seeing the Alundra early pic, and other notes, these translations were outrageous simply for the sake of being outrageous?

Well, I guess you can't really call them translations, it's just completely different dialogue altogether.

They weren't translations. They were localizations. We NEVER aimed for translation, and that's what set our work off from everyone else, and I think, showed other companies how to do a jRPG for US audiences. Console packaging, localization, manuals, pack-ins, pre-order premiums - ALL of that came in or up after Working Designs.

Nekofrog

Banned
To be honest with you, I would have really preferred a two-phase release for WD games. I just wanted the game; I didn't want to pay a premium for extra stuff I'd never look at a second time.

Was there ever any internal discussion about doing such a thing?

vireland

Nekofrog said:
To be honest with you, I would have really preferred a two-phase release for WD games. I just wanted the game; I didn't want to pay a premium for extra stuff I'd never look at a second time.

Never, until Growlanser, where we finally tried that, and it failed. The plain version just wasn't popular. We sold out of deluxe before launch and did not sell out of regular.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, that's true, it can be pretty hard to maintain a stiffy while you're laughing your ass off.
Nah, I'd think they'd have been perfect for it. ST is supposed to be a mix of comedy and drama.

john tv

vireland said:

head_rider1.jpg

head_rider2.jpg

LOL, I was one of those reviewers. Forgot all about this!

Alundra was such a great game.

Eric C

vireland said:
Never, until Growlanser, where we finally tried that, and it failed. The plain version just wasn't popular. We sold out of deluxe before launch and did not sell out of regular.

Didn't you also do the Lunar Fan Art Edition? Or did that come with extras and premium stuff too? I can't remember.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
vireland said:
They weren't translations. They were localizations. We NEVER aimed for translation, and that's what set our work off from everyone else, and I think, showed other companies how to do a jRPG for US audiences. Console packaging, localization, manuals, pack-ins, pre-order premiums - ALL of that came in or up after Working Designs.
Ah, that clears things up.

And honestly, I do thank you, as I'd have never been able to play some those games without your work.
Bought Lunar on PSX day 1. Saw the box and blind bought it, was hooked ever since.

I'm suddenly reminded of how much I miss Alundra.

In fact, I miss it so much I just bought it from a 3rd party on Amazon for $20.

I'll be in junior high again!

vireland

Ericsc said:
Didn't you also do the Lunar Fan Art Edition? Or did that come with extras and premium stuff too? I can't remember.

Well, yeah, but that was kind of unintentional because it was just covering the fact that we had to cancel the too-buggy PC version and had stopped selling the PS version more than a year before, so we did that version to make the game available in a "quick and dirty" way to fill the void left by the PC version cancellation (and the Alex puppet along with it). I was pushing for the Alex puppet to rise again as a premium with the PSP remake, but it wasn't to happen.

vireland

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I'm suddenly reminded of how much I miss Alundra.

In fact, I miss it so much I just bought it from a 3rd party on Amazon for $20.

I'll be in junior high again!

Still working on a PSN release...

vireland said:
Well, yeah, but that was kind of unintentional because it was just covering the fact that we had to cancel the too-buggy PC version and had stopped selling the PS version more than a year before, so we did that version to make the game available in a "quick and dirty" way to fill the void left by the PC version cancellation (and the Alex puppet along with it). I was pushing for the Alex puppet to rise again as a premium with the PSP remake, but it wasn't to happen.
ARRRRGH

Stupid sexy XSEED

ethelred

Nekofrog said:

No way, man. Those hardcover manuals were fucking ace.

And actually, thinking back to the manuals, that reminds me of one of my favorite Working Designs jokes...

2n7qs1z.jpg

vireland said:
I was pushing for the Alex puppet to rise again as a premium with the PSP remake, but it wasn't to happen.

Anger. And sadness. :(

IrishNinja

vireland said:
I was pushing for the Alex puppet to rise again as a premium with the PSP remake, but it wasn't to happen.

do you still have these about in a warehouse, or was it just an idea? cause if you're looking to unload a few, my ghaleon puppet has been lonely for years now.

i had managed to get the softcover book for Sega-CD Lunar 1, signed by you no less, and it got destroyed with my yearbooks & game mags in a hurricane. still kills me, between this and missing out the sexy HC's for the PSX remakes. im saying, if you're sitting on any merch here, i implore you to step into my office.

Eric C

vireland said:

Wow, that really sucks. That would have been great if it happened.

Top Bottom