• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who still uses Last.fm? Let's add each other and hang out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I surprised this thing still has users. I got off it once streaming became more popular. Never linked to the streaming services.

neither streaming services or bandcamp do what last.fm does. If they succeed in this suicide operation there will be a void for many people and I don't really know how it could be filled.

ramyeon

Somebody did a mockup of an improved layout that's sort of a compromise between the old and new ones. It's not perfect (I'd like album art back in the recent tracks list, for instance), but it's so much better than what we currently have it's funny.

http://i.imgbox.com/7eKSy1Jc.png
This is a perfect middle ground between the old layout and the new. This is what it should have been (I agree with the album art in recent tracks though).

christ, what an ugly site. Seems to load like shit now, too. I can't believe they ditched the compatibility bar. I always thought that was so cool, and it was, like, 95% of the reason I signed up for and continued to use the site.

http://www.last.fm/user/aMaladroid
I created my first account there back in 2004 and kinda wish I hadn't switched to different ones over the years. My current one is my third, I think.

Steamlord

Random album covers have been randomly deleted and now we can't add album covers, bleh.

Yeah, some weird shit is going on

On8lEyQ.png

wkOYpZZ.png

Which reminds me, who the fuck thought that giant play button covering up the album art was a good idea?

Dereck

I'll take a break from the site for a week or two, see if anything gets changed, if not, I'll probably jump ship. It's been a good few years.

Vard

+1 for also not digging the redesign

Thanks for sharing the Feedback link; I hope there's enough feedback for them to have to make it better.

Elija2

This page makes it seem like certain features like the compatibility bar won't be returning. I don't even understand why they would get rid of so many useful features.

Been scrobbling for a decade. But the past few years have been a bit less active. In part due to problems scrobbling via iphone/spotify and me just not having time to listen to music anymore. Actually love the stuff they're doing with the redesign. Especially th nostalgia factor of easily being able to go back in time.

Last.fm/user/Shrike_Priest

ramyeon

It doesn't look like things are improving much. Had to change to a new scrobbler for OSX since the official one was broken and just caching scrobbles. A lot of artists have reverted to old photos and the newer ones have been wiped (Seems like they only backed up from a certain time, a lot of newer albums are just completely missing album art).

Such a half arsed effort - it's almost like they want people to stop using the site.

Elija2

How do you rate artist pictures? Clicking the thumbs up/down icons doesn't do anything. Also, is seems like there isn't even a way to rate album art anymore because clicking on it just plays the album.

Dereck

I jumped ship, I couldn't take it.

You know I used to wonder many times, what would make me leave last.fm?

I guess my question has been answered.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The journals feature seems to have vanished. I was using it to document shows that I went to. All those memories are gone.

yeah, i started a personal policy of saving anything worth saving on a platform that i have 100% control over -- either as a document on my computer or on my site for precisely this reason. you never know if something like that is going to happen.

thebeeks

Banned
Holy hell the new redesign is terrible. The thing that kills me the most is the loss of the compatibility bar and the ability to add images to your profile.

I wish there was a last.fm alternative out there (the scrobbling and stats part, I'm not here for the streaming) to jump ship to, but I can't think of any.

Accoun

I find it interesting that the groups (at least the list of user's joined ones) are *kinda* still there, accessible via the URL - using the old design, but without any kind of icons (rankings and shoutbox don't appear for me, but not sure if it's an isolated thing, since my tablet's browser didn't work that well with the site in the first place). Shows how loosely it's stitched up.

Might work with journals maybe?

gelf

I find it interesting that the groups (at least the list of user's joined ones) are *kinda* still there, accessible via the URL - using the old design, but without any kind of icons (rankings and shoutbox don't appear for me, but not sure if it's an isolated thing, since my tablet's browser didn't work that well with the site in the first place). Shows how loosely it's stitched up.

Might work with journals maybe?
Yes I've noticed a few pages that are still accessible but not usable anymore if you can remember the URL.

I don't mind the new design but they put it out way too early. The did the same when the previous look of the site first rolled out. Features missing or not working. The backlash seems lesser this time then it was back then. Maybe that's just a reflection of the sites popularity now though.

Pete Rock

I have been on last.fm since they started and only created a different account once, probably because I forgot my original information. That was in 2006. Not a single time in the past 9 years have I ever received a message that was outright SPAM.

After their redesign, I received this from a clearly robot generated account - it literally has a string of digits affixed to the end of the name, 12 hours old, 0 scrobbles or activity of any kind other than spamming people through their inboxes:

Wazzup! I was surfing around the community and checked your profile page here. I like it! That's why i wonder it would be cool if we can chat here. Are you ok with an idea to make new friends ? From what country are you ? Cheers! ;))

If you thought it was impossible for someone to be stupid enough to re-design a website in a way that not only destroys core functionality, but actually ENABLES spam bot behavior, you were wrong.

They fucked this up so bad it's not even funny anymore.

I have been on last.fm since they started and only created a different account once, probably because I forgot my original information. That was in 2006. Not a single time in the past 9 years have I ever received a message that was outright SPAM.

After their redesign, I received this from a clearly robot generated account - it literally has a string of digits affixed to the end of the name, 12 hours old, 0 scrobbles or activity of any kind other than spamming people through their inboxes:

If you thought it was impossible for someone to be stupid enough to re-design a website in a way that not only destroys core functionality, but actually ENABLES spam bot behavior, you were wrong.

They fucked this up so bad it's not even funny anymore.

Oh jeez... I thought that may have just been me and was a fluke. I got the exact same message word for word. I've also been a member since 2006 with zero spam until now.

Fake edit: Welp. I just checked my page and I have yet another message. Looks like they are trying to make it music related at least, but they have 0 artists and 0 scrobbles. lmao

I am from Russia on the east, i am a begginer hip-hop music producer. In this case i am 100% in music,i listen hundreds minutes of it, always looking for fresh stars. That's main interest. It is so sad that the summer is over, cuz the weather in Russia gets colder each day, especially in Siberia. I think you already heard about our snow-covered winters, sometimes it can be about - 30 degrees ))) So i'm getting ready to drink warm tea or vodka , (joking ;)) look through the window on falling show and play some new good songs . Tell me more about you, where do you live? What are you doing now, what is your job?

Sigh...

Oynox

Been absent from last.fm for some months now, what the hell happend to the service?! And where is the scrobbler now? Cannot find anything on that new website. But it certainly looks quite modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom