• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 7-13, 2009

Nirolak said:
Using Schuelma's criteria here, we have to cut out FFXIV, Ninja Gaiden, and Tekken 6 as none of them sell primarily in Japan.

Also, it is worth noting that the next game from the Disgaea team is on the PSP, not the PS3.

For Tales and Star Ocean 4, I think I have to give the credit to Microsoft there, and I'm pretty sure (I think I read it in an interview) that SO4 actually started back in 2006, at least the 360 version which is essentially the same game as the PS3 one.

The PS3 definitely has a lot of third party support, but it does owe that heavily to the Western market as opposed to its performance in Japan.

We're not using Schuelma's criterion. They're games developed by Japanese companies that happen to sell well in the west.

As for Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean 4, the PS3 versions certainly started after 2006. That's my point. SE/Namco could have just taken Microsoft's money, made the games, and left it at that. But they spent extra development time, money, resources, to port it and add new content to the PS3. So clearly Japanese developers are not abandoning the PS3 in some doomsday situation. Heck, they could have ported to the Wii if they wanted to. (yes you can port stuff to Wii. See Guitar Hero / Rock Band / Call of Duty.)

Owing third party support to the Western market makes even less sense as the PS3 has been doing much worse in the West than in Japan.

Ok, without getting into that niche stuff you listed, I really wish you would stop putting WKC2 on your list..It's a freaking FIRST PARTY GAME.

Uhh Level 5? They also make DS games? How are they first party??

Back on topic: really good first day sales for Tales of Vesperia. I was expecting 147k to be first week sales. Now it looks like it has a good chance of breaking 200k, which I believe is more than the 360 version's LTD?

Aru

ZoddGutts said:
Looks like I'll easily cross the 360 version all time sales in one month hell it might do it in two weeks. :lol

The LTD for the 360 isn't a bit less than 200k ?
It may catch up first week.

Brofist

EXGN said:
Holy shit @ PS3 TOV. Did that just outsell 360's LTD in one day? I honestly didn't think the PS3 port would do so much, I expected a response much more similar to Eternal Sonata.
Why would you think that? One of those games is clearly not like the other.

vicissitudes said:
I think that's about it. There's Tales of Graces but Tales has always been on multiple platforms anyway.
That's the recent phenomenon, but I don't think it's always been the case. For pretty much the first decade of the series, I think GCN Symphonia was the only one to be on a machine that wasn't the #1 console or #1 handheld.
Dragona Akehi said:
This year doesn't mean jack shit, unfortunately. DS had 3rd parties before it was even released.
Weeeell, again we get back to the point of which one had the albatross of the GameCube hanging around its neck.
charlequin said:
You think the experience of developing for the Wii is going to make people want to do more development on Nintendo's next console? Really?
Why not? Wii third party software has already outsold GameCube third party software and one of the two is still increasing.
vicissitudes said:
Uhh Level 5? They also make DS games? How are they first party??
Level 5 is a third party developer, but White Knight Chronicles is a first party game as much as Monster-developed Excite Truck.
From last thread:
test_account said:
Sure, in many cases it is about common sense as you say, i agree, but does common sense apply in all cases though? For example, wouldnt more people have predicted 100k+ for the PS3 Slim launch and PS3 pricedrop?
Unsuccessful consoles shooting over 100K thanks to a price cut/redesign isn't common, though. The history of GCN and PS3 is the reason I thought it wasn't going to happen.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
31. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009: Club Championship (Konami)
32. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV(PlayStation 3 the Best) (Capcom)
33. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (Playstation 3 the Best) (SCE)
34. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
35. [NDS] Anpanman to Touch: Waku Waku Training (Namco Bandai)
36. [NDS] Freshly Picked Tingle’s Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo)
37. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Konami)
38. [NDS] The Game with no Name: Eye (Square Enix)
39. [PS3] Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Playstation 3 the Best) (SCE)
40. [PS2] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Konami)
41. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai)
42. [NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix)
43. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Playstation 3 the Best) (Sega)
44. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven: Tap into the Rhythm (Nintendo)
45. [PSP] Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven Portable (From Software)
46. [NDS] Super Robot Wars: Academy (Namco Bandai)
47. [360] Dream C Club (D3 Publisher)
48. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
49. [PS2] Melty Blood: Actress Again (Ecole)
50. [NDS] Gokujou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami)
__. [ALL] Total Software Sales - 2.068.093 / 41.588.419

Media Create report:
Sellthrough for Pokemon HG/SS is bigger than 90%, sold out at many stores. DS hardware (DSL + DSi) increased from previous week, but the increase wasn't very big.
9 new titles released this week. Pokemon ratio is 71.49%. Pokemon in the market is very strong and the result has shown that its popularity is still alive.

According to Famitsu:

Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai) (07/08/08)
First day: 70.000 / 10.000 bundles
First week: 101.272
LTD: 194.714

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This is indeed PSP's third lowest week ever. The other 2 were:

13/11/06-19/11/06: 16.690 (the week after PS3 launch)
03/09/07-09/09/07: 15.564 (the week before Crisis Core / PSP slim bundle)

It's the first time PS2 falls below 3.000

freddy

Banned
So can the resurgence of the PSP be put down solely to the popularity Monster Hunter? It seems PSProde off the back of it and is waning as the sales level off.

Given that games take 12 months or more to develop are things likely to improve for the PSP in the next year or so?

Not too bad for Endless Ocean 2/Forever Blue 2. The original had a first week of 17k, so first-day sales of 12k suggest the sequel will see a bit of improvement over that. The original then went on to sell around 47k LTD (although I suspect it has crawled up in to 50k range by now) so that should give some indication of where the sequel would end up.

It's obviously not a massive seller, but like Fatal Frame before it it's a series (counting Everblue and Everblue 2) that has seen modest improvement with each release and has obviously carved out a reasonable little niche for itself.

freddy said:
So can the resurgence of the PSP be put down solely to the popularity Monster Hunter? It seems PSProde off the back of it and is waning as the sales level off.

Given that games take 12 months or more to develop are things likely to improve for the PSP in the next year or so?

I think it started with the PSP-2000, then really took off months later with Monster Hunter 2 Freedom Unite, and kept the momentum with a healthy stream of PSP releases. Now that the releases has dried up...PSP is falling in sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
vicissitudes said:
I think it started with the PSP-2000, then really took off months later with Monster Hunter 2 Freedom Unite, and kept the momentum with a healthy stream of PSP releases. Now that the releases has dried up...PSP is falling in sales.
Where did you see that? The number of PSP games released every week is similar or a little lower to the number of DS and certainly much bigger than the number of games that were releasing when PSP hardware was "flying". In fact for the rest of the year there are more PSP than DS games scheduled.

Damn, I want the sell throughs...

[PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco Games) - 147k
Just if there's any doubt, its the best first day since ... 2006 Tales of Destiny on PS2. That means better than all DS, PSP, Wii and 360. Not bad for a 8000Y 13-months-old port, eh?

[PS3] Tears to Tiara Gaiden: Avalon no Nazo (Aqua Plus) - 9.5k
The original Tears to Tiara did 20k first day.

[NDS] SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny (Square Enix) - 67k
sinobi says the sell through is ~40%

[NDS] Idolmaster: Dearly Stars (Bandai Namco Games) - 20k
IM 360 - 19k
IM L4U 360 - 28k
IM PSP - 33k , 24k and 28k (three version you know)
IM DS - 20k

[PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 4 (Konami) - 70k
Incredible, extremely awkward September release for a baseball game nets it its best start yet:
JPPY Portable 2 - 18k
JPPY Portable 3 - 60k
JPPY Portable 4 - 70k

[PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 4 (Konami) - 36k
Down from the last one:
Tag Force 1 - 16k
Tag Force 2 - 23k
Tag Force 3 - 44k
Tag Force 4 - 36k

[PSP] Ys Seven (Nihon Falcom) - 23k
Go Falcom! Best start for a Falcom title on PSP, beating Legend of Heroes 3 (it did 20k).

[PSP] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 9.4k
Exactly 200 more than the PS3 edition.

onken

My 200k first week for ToV seems to be about right. Good game, deserves it. I wonder what it could have done if it was on PS3 in the first place.

vicissitudes said:

Yep things not looking too rosy for PSP currently. I wonder what sort of sales P3P is going to pull?

Chris1964 said:
Where did you see that? The number of PSP games released every week is similar or a little lower to the number of DS and certainly much bigger than the number of games that were releasing when PSP hardware was "flying". In fact for the rest of the year there are more PSP than DS games scheduled.

By which I mean releases that matter. During 2nd half 2008 I remember seeing PSP titles in the top 5 often. Not the case this year. What PSP game sold well in the last few months? Tales of Versus? Even that sold "meh."

Just if there's any doubt, its the best first day since ... 2006 Tales of Destiny on PS2. That means better than all DS, PSP, Wii and 360. Not bad for a 8000Y 13-months-old port, eh?

PS3 is the jRPG console after all? :lol
:(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
vicissitudes said:
By which I mean releases that matter. During 2nd half 2008 I remember seeing PSP titles in the top 5 often. Not the case this year. What PSP game sold well in the last few months? Tales of Versus? Even that sold "meh."
You remember wrong. During the first 10 weeks of 2009 there were more PSP games in top 5 than the whole second half of 2008. Many games have sold well in the last few months, unless you expect Monster Hunter sales. Software support for PSP is extremely good in Japan, to a point that makes me believe that many Japanese developers see it as their primary developing system. The only release that matters for PSP is Monster Hunter, as hardware sales prove.

vicissitudes said:
What PSP game sold well in the last few months? Tales of Versus? Even that sold "meh."
It's just one arbitrary way of looking at things, but here are top software sales during the last 6 months, and here's the comparable period from 2008. The first thing I notice is other than DQIX at #1, pretty much everything this year is lower than its rank counterpart of the year before.

PSP doesn't have many fewer games near the top this year than last year, buuut the top game (2008: MHP2G, 2009: MHP2G Best) is a lot lower.

Road

Guess people were right with ToV doing great on PS3.

The starved JRPG crowd that bought 200k WKC on first week seems to be still there.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Of course it would do great. Why people thought otherwise, i dont know.

Its coming on a console with a much bigger install base in Japan than the xbox 360, around the time that console gets a new design AND a price drop. The game is also filled with new content, so tales fanboys that bought xbox 360 versions will probably buy it along with new buyers.

Road

Kandrick said:

Its coming on a console with a much bigger install base in Japan than the xbox 360, around the time that console gets a new design AND a price drop. The game is also filled with new content, so tales fanboys that bought xbox 360 versions will probably buy it along with new buyers.
I just thought it was plausible for it to do 200k, but not on the first week. Haha

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Damn, I want the sell throughs...

First DAY sales? wow. :D

test_account

XP-39C²
Nice Tales of Vesperia sales :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Unsuccessful consoles shooting over 100K thanks to a price cut/redesign isn't common, though. The history of GCN and PS3 is the reason I thought it wasn't going to happen.
Ye,i totally agree to that. I didnt mean to say that there was anything wrong with predicting less than 100k for the PS3 Slim and with the PS3 pricedrop, i predicted something like 70k-80k myself because i didnt think that 150k was possible :)

Maybe my question looked a bit strange, sorry, but what i wanted to ask is if only things that make common sense should be mentioned, because sometimes (not too often though, but sometimes at least) things that isnt common sense to most people can happend, like for example when the PS3 Slim sold 150k in it's first week.

Sadist

Well, the Japanese don't fucking like Overkill.

:(

Question, is the HotD franchise still relevant in Japan? (Thinking of the arcades here)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, lots of over shipped titles this week, hopefully they sell more over the weekend. The only game that might not have been is ToV, but nearly 250k might be a bit much if it doesn't have a good weekend. Poor SaGa 2, if someone had told me they were going to ship just over 150k I would've said it might not have been quite enough, but it looks like that might've been a bit too much. :(

Looks like Famitsu did already have an idea of the shipment these games would have from their predictions.

markatisu

Kandrick said:

This. Not sure it would have sold nearly that much had it seriously been just a straight dump on the PS3 with no additions/extras.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In response to "where have all the big franchises gone", why the hell would we make a list of OMG TEH BEST FRANCHISES, including current-gen franchises for some reason, rather than actually using the overwhelming amount of data we have to make a list.

EVERY third party franchise/game from the PS2 generation that broke 500k with at least one installment, sorted in descending order of sales by sales of highest game in the franchise. Included are the platforms of MAIN followup entries as well as commentary on franchise health:
1. Dragon Quest -- DS / Wii
2. Final Fantasy -- PS3 / sort of Xbox 360
3. Dynasty Warriors -- PS3 / Xbox 360 (on the decline)
4. Kingdom Hearts -- DS / PSP
5. PES -- All consoles
6. Samurai Warriors -- Wii
7. Onimusha -- Franchise dead (on the decline)
8. Shitty Sega-Sammy Pachislot Garbage -- Irrelevant.
9. Metal Gear Solid -- PS3, sort of Xbox 360, sort of PSP
10. Gundam -- I'm not totally aware of how the different Gundam subfranchises break down, someone let me know about that.
11. Tales of -- DS, Wii, Xbox 360, sort of PS3... inexplicably not PSP though
12. Taiko -- Wii, DS.
13. Warriors Orochi -- PSP / Xbox 360.
14. Dragon Ball Z -- Separate installments on Wii and PS360.
15. Super Robot Taisen -- Wii, DS, kinda PSP, kinda 360
16. Ridge Racer -- Xbox 360 / PS3 (decline)
17. Derby Stallion -- PSP / DS (decline)
18. Monster Hunter -- Wii / sort of PSP
19. Yakuza -- PS3
20. Devil May Cry -- PS3 / 360
21. Virtua Fighter -- PS3 / 360
22. Star Ocean -- 360 / kind of PS3
23. J-League Soccer -- Dead, splintered into other franchises.
24. Power Pro / Pro Yakyuu -- Splintered, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3.
25. Momotaru Dentetsu -- DS, Wii, 360

From 500k to 300k:
26. Naruto -- Wii, DS, PS3
27. Resident Evil -- PS3 / 360, sort of Wii
28. FF Crystal Chronicles -- Wii
29. Tekken -- PS3 / 360 (in decline)
30. SaGa -- Dead--but closest analogs are DS (SaGa 2 port) and Xbox 360 (TLR)
31. Xenosaga -- Dead, team owned by Nintendo.
32. Grand Theft Auto -- PS3 / 360 (in decline)
33. Valkyrie Profile -- Sort of DS
34. Itadaki Street -- DS / PSP
35. Suikoden -- Sort of DS, possibly Wii (in decline)
36. Kessen -- Dead.
37. Ace Combat -- Xbox 360, sort of PSP, sort of iPhone
38. Kamaitachi no Yoru 2 -- Dead-ish, but Chunsoft moved on to Wii / PSP / 360 / PS3
39. The Bouncer -- Dead
40. Victorious Boxers -- Wii / PSP
41. Dead or Alive -- Dead, Xbox 360
42. Mana -- Dead, DS
43. One Piece -- Wii (in decline)
44. Seaman - Dead / Inactive--actually broke 300k twice but first time was as a first-party title.

That's everything over 300k.

I wrote "sort of" for platforms that got late ports or will get installments in the future or got spinoffs or whatever.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kandrick said:

Well if I remember correctly some people in the past said the port would not sell well or as much as the 360.

neojubei said:
Well if I remember correctly some people in the past said the port would not sell well or as much as the 360.
People kept dragging up Eternal Sonata as evidence that ToV would bomb on the PS3. Guess they can't use that argument anymore.

darkhunger said:
People kept dragging up Eternal Sonata as evidence that ToV would bomb on the PS3. Guess they can't use that argument anymore.
Clearly using the closest past example doesn't always come to the correct results. The last time a year-late PS3 port of an X360 game sold so much better, they renamed Ridge Racer 6 to Ridge Racer 7.

Meier

Dragona Akehi said:
This year doesn't mean jack shit, unfortunately. DS had 3rd parties before it was even released.
I would have said the same thing about the Wii here in the US but we went to a 'game night' recently where they had WSR and one couple said they were going to go out and buy a Wii the next day. Before that, I would have said I felt like Nintendo had squandered all of 2009 up until now -- they certainly have for me. I can't remember ever beeing so uninterested in a system and I've owned it since day 1 and was a Nintendo fanboy for 20 some odd years. It's disheartening to say the least.

Road

JoshuaJSlone said:
Clearly using the closest past example doesn't always come to the correct results. The last time a year-late PS3 port of an X360 game sold so much better, they renamed Ridge Racer 6 to Ridge Racer 7.
I think Enchant Arm sold much better too.

jj984jj said:
Wow, lots of over shipped titles this week, hopefully they sell more over the weekend. The only game that might not have been is ToV, nearly 250k might be a bit much if it doesn't have a good weekend. Poor SaGa 2, if someone had told me they were going to ship just over 150k I would've said it might not have been quite enough, but it looks like that might've been a bit too much. :(
Eh, I don't think there's much overshipment going on. Many titles are having great weekend growths lately, more than the usual first week being 150% the first day figure. If we apply that average, most 40% sell through titles would have a 60% by its first week, meaning they couldn't do twice its first week for their LTDs unless they got another order, which is also doable for most titles.
TOV case I certainly wouldn't worry, its LTD on 360 is nearly twice its first week, on the PS3 the LTD can't even be twice the first day unless it gets another shipment.

I mean, unless a RPG like Saga 2 or very otaku-oriented like Idolmaster have really shitty weekend growths, they all seem to be fine.

All the shipments show quite confidence from their publishers though, they have some big shipments and openings, and still have a good amount of stock available.

apujanata

darkhunger said:

Did Eternal Sonata have additional content when released on PS3 ?

I think one of the possible reason why ToV was doing well on PS3 is caused by additional content, so X360 users don't mind double dipping (just like RE4 PS2 have additional content, that caused people who bought RE4 GC to double dip).

klee123

apujanata said:

I think one of the possible reason why ToV was doing well on PS3 is caused by additional content, so X360 users don't mind double dipping (just like RE4 PS2 have additional content, that caused people who bought RE4 GC to double dip).

It had numerous extras just like every 1+ year belated PS3 port. Eternal Sonata on PS3 sold poorly due to the bad feedback from the 360 version. Adding the fact that it was a completely new IP with little to no advertising didn't do it any favors either.

apujanata said:

Yes it did, similar content to ToVPS3 actually. Eternal Sonata just sucked so it didn't get good word of mouth for when the new version was released.

Brofist

evilromero said:
Sony on top this week? Was this like the third time since it launched?

Do you mean having the top selling new title in a week? Definitely more than the third time.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Kandrick said:

It was not obvious it would do great; I think that the timing of the release had much more to do than your points. If it was released before the price cut, I think it would have sold half of that. I'm pretty surprised by the sales of TOV PS3.

Meier said:
I would have said the same thing about the Wii here in the US but we went to a 'game night' recently where they had WSR and one couple said they were going to go out and buy a Wii the next day. Before that, I would have said I felt like Nintendo had squandered all of 2009 up until now -- they certainly have for me. I can't remember ever beeing so uninterested in a system and I've owned it since day 1 and was a Nintendo fanboy for 20 some odd years. It's disheartening to say the least.

I'm talking about Japan. The US, while slipping slightly is still pounding the competition easily. The US and EU situations can easily be reversed. Japan, however, is lost.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
charlequin said:
You think the experience of developing for the Wii is going to make people want to do more development on Nintendo's next console? Really?

A lot of people seem to still be operating on the "eventually developers will have to come crawling back to Nintendo, hat in hand" theory and just pushing out the horizon on that actually happening, but as far as I can tell, actual sales drops for the system just give more cover to the people who don't want to make money if making Wii games is the way to do it (i.e. apparently almost everybody.)

I'm not saying every developer is going to be tripping over themselves to develop for the next system or anything, just that I can't imagine it being harder for Nintendo than it was coming off the GameCube.

Road

Pristine_Condition said:
I think this is right:

YTD
DSi = 2,184,122
PSP = 1,476,408
Wii = 995,447
PS3 = 859,608
DS Lite = 393,607
XBox 360 = 293,802
PS2 = 171,570
Since it hasn't been done in a while, year-over-year, M-create: