• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians - New Video/Trailer/"whatever-this-is" coming in 24 hours

Random17

Is that a Forerunner ship below it? Looks much larger than the VTOL thing they showed in Warzone.

Looks a lot more like a Covenant design and the colouring also matches the other Covenant ships.

Forerunner ships tend to have sharper angles, from what we have seen so far.

Madness

Looks a lot more like a Covenant design and the colouring also matches the other Covenant ships.

Forerunner ships tend to have sharper angles, from what we have seen so far.

Maybe. I'm on mobile, so that screencap made the ship look grey with orange lighting which is Forerunner.

I do think that with the crazy level of detail that can be achieved. I'd rather watch Blur or this level of quality for full length films rather than live action now. I mean you just cannot build the world properly with live action. It tends to look goofy (ie. Elite walking through a mall). With this, what we see in H2A from Blur, you can build the world without having to sacrifice or compromise on vision.

Random17

Maybe. I'm on mobile, so that screencap made the ship look grey with orange lighting which is Forerunner.

I do think that with the crazy level of detail that can be achieved. I'd rather watch Blur or this level of quality for full length films rather than live action now. I mean you just cannot build the world properly with live action. It tends to look goofy (ie. Elite walking through a mall). With this, what we see in H2A from Blur, you can build the world without having to sacrifice or compromise on vision.
I agree completely; live action would be CGI heavy anyway so why not go for full CGI?

shiba5

Wow that was really well done. All in-engine/in-game? I do think the Spartans are shown as a bit too overpowered. I mean these aren't Spartan-II and even those guys are not invincible. Look at how even veteran teams like Noble Team were defeated by the Covenant. The Halo Wars 2 trailer showed Red Team making a hasty retreat and being picked off by Brutes. Here, Osiris Team drops in, and just lays waste to everything, wraiths, phantoms, Elites, etc. I want my Spartans to be Batman, not Superman.

But man that was amazing. And people were saying they were scared Halo 5 wouldn't be a visual spectacle. That's just one cinematic. I can't wait to see the scope and detail in the campaign. Well done Frank and 343 team.

I think the Covies are also being attacked by Arby - so the Spartans have some help.

Maybe Frank can answer this..but will all of the game's cinematic be pre-rendered like this? If so that would be really disappointing IMO..

does MCC feature matchmaking for coop story or just MP? sorry, seems like a good place to ask....

Someone who's watched the Comicon panel will probably have to confirm, but this summary I've found says that Campaign matchmaking is in. Need Frankie to confirm however.

Maybe Frank can answer this..but will all of the game's cinematic be pre-rendered like this? If so that would be really disappointing IMO..

Frankie said earlier that the majority (I think he specified 90%) of game' cinematics will be in-engine.

They're not. Although sometimes their motivations align.
My only wish at this point is that the Prometheans actually have some personality in Halo 5. Like the Covanent do. The Prometheans in Halo 4 just barked and growled at you like they were just some rabid dogs instead of intelligent forerunner enemies.

Also needs a good central villain too. Didact was kinda boring.

Random17

This really should have been shown at E3. I can't stop watching this; it's like Halo 4 E3 or Reach World Première all over again.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Not sure if you've answered this yet, Frank, is the snow level as open as it appears in the trailer? Or does the sandbox element kick in further in the game?

I am really concern about what 343 is planning to do with MC. Big E3 stage demo was on Locke, the intro cinematic they released to hype up is on locke, Xbox One Halo 5 console is locke theme.

The last thing I was to see is MC being replace or they are trying to slide him slowly on side by making him not relevant.

I agree, we haven't gotten one look at MC doing all of this cool shit. I get the idea of bringing faces into the fray, but wth? MC is definitely being overshadowed and I don't like it.

I am really concern about what 343 is planning to do with MC. Big E3 stage demo was on Locke, the intro cinematic they released to hype up is on locke, Xbox One Halo 5 console is locke theme.

The last thing I was to see is MC being replace or they are trying to slide him slowly on side by making him not relevant.

Master chief is gonna get killed off

343i has said several times that the Fireteam Osiris missions primarily exist as additional framing for the Master Chief's story.

They're not killing him off.

They're not replacing him.

And I'd say odds are the reason we're seeing less Chief pre-release is simply because the Blue Team stuff is what 343i really wants people to experience first in-game, not in a trailer. Blue Team being together in-game is a big deal and they probably want it to be as surprising as possible when people first pop in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Blue Team missions move the plot forward more too, thus making them more spoilery, since Osiris is going to be following Blue Team for at least a good chunk of the game.

Wow that was really well done. All in-engine/in-game? I do think the Spartans are shown as a bit too overpowered. I mean these aren't Spartan-II and even those guys are not invincible. Look at how even veteran teams like Noble Team were defeated by the Covenant. The Halo Wars 2 trailer showed Red Team making a hasty retreat and being picked off by Brutes. Here, Osiris Team drops in, and just lays waste to everything, wraiths, phantoms, Elites, etc. I want my Spartans to be Batman, not Superman.

But man that was amazing. And people were saying they were scared Halo 5 wouldn't be a visual spectacle. That's just one cinematic. I can't wait to see the scope and detail in the campaign. Well done Frank and 343 team.

Noble Team was made up of a team of Spartan IIIs and a single Spartan II. Though capable, they are likely nowhere in the same league as the Fireteam Osiris. These Spartan 4s, which are tasked with the almost impossible task of hunting down the legendary Master Chief, who is backed up by quite possibly the deadliest force ever assembled in human history, Blue Team, are likely in an entirely different league altogether from Noble Team.

Well, I won't dare say that Locke and Osiris aren't important to this game or relevant, but there's absolutely nothing more relevant to this game than the fact that the Master Chief is teamed up with Blue Team. It's easily the biggest megaton aspect of this game's story so far as far as I'm concerned. Yes, there will be other surprises, but as far as I'm concerned, Master Chief being in command of Blue Team again, and the player having the ability to issue squad based commands, is the megaton reveal for this game.

Madness

Noble Team was made up of a team of Spartan IIIs and a single Spartan II. Though capable, they are likely nowhere in the same league as the Fireteam Osiris. These Spartan 4s, which are tasked with the almost impossible task of hunting down the legendary Master Chief, who is backed up by quite possibly the deadliest force ever assembled in human history, Blue Team, are likely in an entirely different league altogether from Noble Team.

You mean Fireteam Osiris who are basically all new Spartan recruits and have barely worked together? I'm not implying that Spartan-III's are better either. But to say they're in another league when Noble Team was highly regarded for basically coming out of suicide missions all the time? Carter was also one of the highest ranking Spartans.

My point is, Noble Team got picked off one by one, we see Red Team suffering in the recent Halo Wars 2 trailer, and we've seen that propaganda aside, Spartans aren't invincible, even the 'legendary Master Chief'. How are 4 Spartans going to drop in between Covenant cruisers, with Wraiths on the ground, Phantoms flying overhead with Forerunners and Elites and all kinds of enemies and just run and gun like it's nothing? It's a bit too far left field for my taste. Obviously just a cinematic, but let's be realistic. Spartan-IV may have new fangled gen2 armor, and deus ex machina augmentation to make them go toe to toe with Spartan-II but they're basically regular recruits now.

I loved the cinematic and gets me excited for campaign. I simply don't necessarily like the superman style lack of danger.

Nah. The universe is more than one man. There are more stories to tell.

Well, we've never seen Chief without the helmet, have we?

ysFHndr.jpg

Madness

Nah. The universe is more than one man. There are more stories to tell.

As we've seen with Reach and ODST, it's possible to have a game with other people. Halo 5 will also have Locke and Osiris Team get the majority of the play time, but the day Chief is finally 'retired', it will impact the series. He's the face of the series for a reason. But who knows, I mean they had the Chief reclaimer trilogy planned, and now it's a saga. So maybe by Halo 7+, who knows. Mark V/VI is already relegated to legacy now, so the look of a Spartan isn't the same anymore either. Spartan-IV has superseded the legendary Spartan-II who are almost all dead. Who knows what they have planned for post-Chief.

You mean Fireteam Osiris who are basically all new Spartan recruits and have barely worked together? I'm not implying that Spartan-III's are better either. But to say they're in another league when Noble Team was highly regarded for basically coming out of suicide missions all the time? Carter was also one of the highest ranking Spartans.

My point is, Noble Team got picked off one by one, we see Red Team suffering in the recent Halo Wars 2 trailer, and we've seen that propaganda aside, Spartans aren't invincible, even the 'legendary Master Chief'. How are 4 Spartans going to drop in between Covenant cruisers, with Wraiths on the ground, Phantoms flying overhead with Forerunners and Elites and all kinds of enemies and just run and gun like it's nothing? It's a bit too far left field for my taste. Obviously just a cinematic, but let's be realistic. Spartan-IV may have new fangled gen2 armor, and deus ex machina augmentation to make them go toe to toe with Spartan-II but they're basically regular recruits now.

I loved the cinematic and gets me excited for campaign. I simply don't necessarily like the superman style lack of danger.

Well they jumped in between a fight. It's not like those forces were all there just to stop fire team Osiris. I love how it felt like they used the momentum of the landing to launch themselves forward toward their target. No stop and think, just run and gun. Disruptive warfare.

Christof

Neo Member
but they're basically regular recruits now.

They are an elite special ops team comprised of an experienced warfighters who all come from different services & disciplines. They have been physically augmented and equipment with the best technology humans have been able to devise (tech which has been growing at an insane rate as humans have been able to "reclaim" a huge amount of forerunner technology).

The Spartan IIs are 30 year old tech who are AWOL and so separated from the support of a now powerful Human Military.

This makes it more satisfying when our heros the IIs end up kicking butt in the end and showing the youngsters that what really matters is HEART!

Madness

What would you think if someone on Osiris Team is able to kill someone on Blue Team? I mean I honestly don't believe they'll have all 8 Spartans survive till the end of the game.

I see what you're talking about and yeah it definitely looks like the forerunner vehicle from Warzone. It probably is considering there are a few Prometheans present in the cinematic.

What would you think if someone on Osiris Team is able to kill someone on Blue Team? I mean I honestly don't believe they'll have all 8 Spartans survive till the end of the game.

I still kinda of think they'll align Osiris and Blue team forces against a greater common enemy by the end of H5 or 6. Perhaps some casualties prior to that.

Spartan III physical augmentations are generally superior to Spartan IV augmentations actually. Buck states this pretty much directly in New Blood. Noble Team is actually a special case as well, as they received enhancements more in line with SIIs and were given full MJOLNIR armor rather than the much weaker SPI armor. Like Spartan IIs they were also trained from/augmented at youth, so they have a major advantage there as well. Blue Team obviously has the greatest advantage in terms of experience, as they were fighting the Covenant before Kat, Noble 6, Vale, Locke, and probably Tanaka were even born. Spartan IVs have significantly advanced gear however, so they playing field is largely leveled when suited up. Outside of their gear though, Osiris is greatly disadvantaged to Noble, let alone Blue.

Physical augmentations: Blue Team >= Noble Team >> Osiris
Experience: Blue Team > Noble Team > Osiris
Gear: Osiris >> Blue Team >= Noble Team

JMizzlin

Just add the butterfly effect and you've got Halo: Forward Until Dawn.

Well they jumped in between a fight. It's not like those forces were all there just to stop fire team Osiris. I love how it felt like they used the momentum of the landing to launch themselves forward toward their target. No stop and think, just run and gun. Disruptive warfare.

100% this. It's not a pitched battle. It's Spartans + massive momentum + surprise + intro cinematic to get you ready for the fight.

Akai__

Wait, those comics are canon?

I am guessing one of Halsey's main motivations is to find John. In H4 she was red hot pissed when she learned they kept her from finding he was alive.

Also, from a narrative point of view, why are the promethians still running around with the covenant?

Yes, it is canon. Not sure how much stuff (or if anything at all) )will be explained in Halo 5, but the things happening Halo Escalation are now at a very important point.

H5G-connections.png

343i is doing a great job connecting aspects of the universe together, but sometimes I'm just concerned, if people will fully understand everything.

I'm obviously not going to say it's a precise simulation of gameplay but there's far more smooth, fast transition of movement to ability, with four full time squad members whether you're playing coop or not, and liquid transition of vertical parts of the levels, as well as the moves (charge, clamber, assassination, slide, boost and ground pound) so it isn't ludicrously deceptive either. It's supposed to get you amped to go do those things - right now. Hence it cuts immediately to gameplay in that level.

There's only one way to settle this, Stinkles.

We need a video of you and 343's three best players running through the first mission of the game like that.

On Legendary.

I don't want to pick on anyone person specifically, but this Spartan II / III / IV discussion always end up resembling DBZ style arguements over power levels. Does it really matter who could beat who in a fist fight? It's not really going to happen in-game and gameplay wise the ability will be largely the same.

As for Noble Team - isn't their armour designed for ground warfare seen as they are Army? Where as the IV's armour is designed to be air/ground/space combat? Not that any of that matters either tbh — the real reason is that 343 want more mobility in their combat and that's it.

Outrun

I believe that Stinkles stated that we do not have to worry regarding the diminishment of MC.

John-117 is still the Man.

Top Bottom