• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Diablohead said:
The TopGear website folks were able to play the game and give some feedback on their website, they said the cars sometimes feel like magic carpets because there was no feedback from the road and the motion was too smooth, or something like that.

Actually not exactly. Top Gear hired a non staff freelancer with no stated gaming or car experience to go cover the event. This guy, in fact:

http://www.jamesshovlin.com/

He may or may not be a car driving game expert, it ain't rocket science, but he doesn't say anything of the kind in his resume - and in fact the only related item he's ever written is the one being gif-ed. Although he did write the script for "KerWhizz. a futuristic quiz / racing show, for the children."

This makes the gif a lot less amusing than if the Stig had written it.

dreamer3kx said:
LETS DO THIS!! :lol

244wot4.gif

whats he saying? "... for life"?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Do both of these games feature Laguna Seca?

vermadas

painey said:
Just according to keikoku

(translators note; keikoku means banned)

:lol

Seriously, you have to try really hard to get banned in a thread that is very nearly a safe haven for trolls and platform evangelists. :lol

As someone who doesn't give a shit about driving sims, I'm finding this thread highly entertaining.

imtehman

Banned
skybaby said:

skyfinch said:
Too late.
txgmgt5tokyosubaruimpre.gif

i haven't played GT5P because well, i don't want to pay for a glorified demo, but is the physics really like that?

I was leaning toward GT5 because 1000 cars and 16 cars on the track is much more appealing, but with that kind of physics it totally takes away from the "real driving simulator" experience

Arnie

As a fan of both franchises, going off Prologue and Forza 2 as a base, Forza will have a better handling and physics model whilst Gran Turismo 5 will have vastly better graphics. I'm am not going to compare the online modes as the combination of what we have already seen from Forza and what we know about japanese companies acceptance of online integration in general and Lives strength over PSN also means it is a pretty unnecesary discussion.

Actually the fact that this thread pulls two completely loyal fanbase's into one tight arena means there will not really be any proper discussion anyway.

EDIT: If someone were to ask me why I credit Forzas collision and physics model to be a generation ahead of GTs, don't bother. Those Gifs above do my reply much more justice than any words. It just bothers me that my favourite racer of last gen can advance so little in its actual gameplay and so much in its visuals(and audio). Sigh.

Diablohead said:
The TopGear website folks were able to play the game and give some feedback on their website, they said the cars sometimes feel like magic carpets because there was no feedback from the road and the motion was too smooth, or something like that.

INSIDE SIM RACING was most impressed with the Forza3 demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVzhkASVCQ0
Their impressions start at 9:00 and 11:00

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"So how was that Gran Turismo (PSP), Sean?"
..."Dude that was stupid. That was a waste of time."
:lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
imtehman said:
i haven't played GT5P because well, i don't want to pay for a glorified demo, but is the physics really like that?
I haven't played GT5P either, but pretty much all the GT games like that.
Whether it matters or not is a different story.

Cheech

Paying $40 for GT5:p was one of the poorest gaming purchase decisions I've made in a long time. As somebody who spent DAYS' worth of time on GT3, it was pretty damned disappointing.

Playing Forza 2 when it first came out was a revelation. The cars "felt" more like real cars than any GT I'd played, and even today still delivers the feeling of driving an actual car more than any other console racer.

So, looking forward to Forza 3. A LOT. GT5, well, until I can get it for $20 I'll pass. I already gave Sony $40 for the demo.

Oh boy, can't wait for both games. Getting a PS3 slim for Xmas in preparation. I need to reserve FM3 but I still don't know if I want the CE. I think I'll just save the $20 for MW2.

Iknos

FYI "Top Gear" also called the graphics "quite photo-realistically breathtaking". I put Top Gear in quotes because the writer of that article is James Shovlin a freelance writer who isn't associated with Top Gear the television show.

In fact his only relation to racing is that he is a freelance script writer for the BBC TV show KerWhizz. A "futuristic quiz / racing show, for the children".

Kerwhizz.jpg

kerwhizz-4-950x534.jpg

kerwhizz-5-950x534.jpg

kerwhizz-7-950x534.jpg

I understand that this thread is for the super-retard trolls but hopefully there is some intelligent discussion in here.

Some people see both games being equal, some preferring one over another, and some are just batshit insane.

Apex

2njxaub.gif

2cx6kw8.gif

I realize that it is a work in progress, although one could argue about 9+ yrs of work, but where are the thread marks? So much graphical detail and missing something so integral to racing.

jett

D-Member
Slayer-33 said:

That does look really nice, can always trust Gamersyde for 60fps videos. If you only have a 360, you can't go wrong with Forza 3. The graphical jump between F3 and F2 is really massive, you can easily because I don't think anybody bothered defending F2's graphics back when it came out. :p

Here's an "actual GT5 gameplay" video for you:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_gran_turismo_5_gamescom_cockpit_view_gameplay_60_fps-12539_en.html

imtehman

Banned
If i wanted to rice out my car with body kits and stuff and engine swap and changing mufflers etc, which is the game that would allow me to do that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
cyberheater said:
Thanks for the heads up. I think at a push I can live without 360 support providing I use it on PS3/PC.

if a clutch pedal isn't critical to you, consider the driving force GT

Arnie

Wow at the Prologue shots above. Polyphonys lighting engine is unmatched. The reflections are what sell it for me.

Blame!

xDEILGYREx said:
GT5 will have prettier replays, and cool jazz menu music but
after playing both Forza2 and GT5P, I think Forza gameplay > GT gameplay.
Plus, XBL is a superior online platform which I gladly pay $3 a month for.

this pretty much. i havent enjoyed a GT game since GT3 and that was how long ago now....they really need to step up their design to match graphics.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Arnie said:
As a fan of both franchises, going off Prologue and Forza 2 as a base, Forza will have a better handling and physics model whilst Gran Turismo 5 will have vastly better graphics.

this. At this point graphics contests bore me. I don't care who has better headlights. I want physics, AI, online integration, and, well, fun. Obviously GT got me started with console sims and it will always be the king. I love GT. But Forza has really made huge leaps in the areas that I personally care more about. We can't judge GT yet because it ain't out. But if it's better, well then I'll buy that. It's not about being fanatical to a system or a series. At this point I see Forza as the better series. GT may change my mind in December.

jett

D-Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
that was annoying and I can't even tell what the point was, or what your allegiance is.

It was annoying? Other than the Forza 3 pictures it proved that Cyberhearter is full of shit.

Also, yes, the F40 is the best supercar ever. I doubt it will ever be topped.

Iknos

Arnie said:
Wow at the Prologue shots above. Polyphonys lighting engine is unmatched. The reflections are what sell it for me.

Most of those shots are replay shots that use higher LOD models than found in game and better reflections.

What is also improved is the mirrors. In-game the mirrors render a very basic looking track with short draw distance and low poly cars and IIRC doesn't render details like kicked up dust. In contrast Forza 3 renders a real reflection in real time.

So the comparisons thus far aren't adequate. Regardless GT5 does look better than Forza 3 mainly because of the consistent lighting system and all materials are polished to perfection.

But in-game both games will end up looking more comparable than they do when you compare replay shots with in-game shots as what most people are doing now.

eso76

yep, models switching between pre race and ingame.

not too different, the lower lod actually gets the lights right wtf ? :)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Dra-Q said:
Something doesn't feel quite right :/

you know what's cool about that gif? the fact that it doesn't have all the frames from the actual video.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_forza_motorsport_3_press_conference_video_2b-12913_en.html

go ahead and see the actual video of it, there's nothing off about it. The car isnt even going as fast as that gif makes it out to be in the video :lol the amount of distorting is ungodly.

I'll remake that gif with all the frames brb.

shinnn

Apex said:
HQ car model swap(for the camera close-ups before the race) to in-game model swap.

you saw this in others cars? or it's the only one?

ps: nice work taking shit caps of FM3 :lol

phil_t

Banned
OMG I can't believe people are taking this all so seriously..

I thought it would be fun to join in with some banter, but wow, oh wow, this is getting stupid..

It's like a whole wave of pent up tension is being unleashed...

Time to sit back, have a laugh, and wait until we have some real info tomorrow..

:D

eso76 said:
ingame ? well, fuck me sideways.
while fm3 car models have similar detail as far as geometry goes, i believe that kind of detail is just for homespace/photo mode/menus in T10 game.

how were those GT5P shots not from photo mode? or are these new drivable camera angles?

Arnie

belvedere said:
Yeah, something is off. That gif does nothing for the poor physics argument.
I literally had to do a double take of the Gif to check that it definetely wasn't Prologue before I responded. I did this because your post seems to live in an alternate reality where Forzas physics model is the one which is scrutinized and not Gran Turismos. Would this not be a fair assumption? Just look at the head of the page.

jett

D-Member
Iknos said:
Most of those shots are replay shots that use higher LOD models than found in game and better reflections.

The graphical quality of the game is exactly the same in replays.

What is also improved is the mirrors. In-game the mirrors render a very basic looking track with short draw distance and low poly cars and IIRC doesn't render details like kicked up dust.

And again, the quality of the rear-view mirrors is the same in-game and in replays. You're thinking of an older pre-release GT5P build that did have mirrors that looked like crap. I have no idea about the dust shit, but it seems extremely petty to me in any case.

In contrast Forza 3 renders a real reflection in real time.

You realize that would mean F3 does real-time raytracing, don't you? :lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Arnie said:

I agree. Polyphonys lighting is sublime. They've completely nailed it.

I wonder why others find it so hard to copy?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Arnie said:
I literally had to do a double take of the Gif to check that it definetely wasn't Prologue before I responded. I did this because your post seems to live in an alternate reality where Forzas physics model is the one which is scrutinized and not Gran Turismos. Would this not be a fair assumption? Just look at the head of the page.

The floaty/loose/arcade feel of the car is a GT5 problem?

Dear lord Apex, well done sir (except for the bad pics of Forza :lol ) Prologue ingame is much better than people give it credit for. And that Forza 3 gif helps show why I dont like the handling. Magic carpet is hyperbole, but there is some truth to that statement.

Top Bottom