• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

drugo said:
A generation gap.:lol

458Italia3forza.jpg

458Italia2.jpg

Try again turn10. :)

Pre rendered vs replay mode. Looks like someone else needs to try again
and it's not Turn 10

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
*innocently clicks on thread*

Holy crap

*runs*

Well, if this thread is like this, I can only imagine that the FM3/GT5 threads will become a bloodbath.

Anyway, other than the fact that both FM3 and GT5 will be mine, the issues that both series suffer from, bad AI, probably still will exist.

While I haven't played GT5:p (My purchase of a PS3 is dependent on my purchase of GT5, I was hoping that would have happened by now) my experience of Forza 2 and GT4 were great aside from the "No, after you sir" AI of Forza and the mindless AI of GT4. The game that makes the biggest strides in that regard will gain the most kudos from me, as they both fulfil my other criteria for a decent racing game (60FPS, decent physics & handling model).

Recoil

Iknos said:
I think FM gets too much unnecessary hate here that's for sure so I am defending it more often than not. In the FM3 thread I criticize the game in all aspects but yeah I try to keep it fair.

I have to say I'm equally looking forward to both games and plan to play the hell out of both but you are right when you say that I lean towards Forza and it's been like that since FM2. My GT fandom peaked at GT3 and for some reason I wasn't much interested in playing much of GT4.

Both games have issues and FM3 and GT5 seem to be addressing those very issues. IMO there's not much to complain about.

I'm surprised that this thread has hit full gear and neither game is out. When both are out all of those getting both should post a comparison.

This is the second time in 24 hours that I feel the need to say "Well said." to one of your posts.

Well said. *thumbs up*

Yoritomo

FortunateSon said:
Proper physics? Like I said. What is with this proper physics talk? Define proper physics. No car racing sim will ever fucking have proper physics. Jesus. Forza Motorsport 3 is no where close to having proper physics. What equates physics? Handling? Collisions? What?

And by the way, nice try. That's some weak ass trolling.

palphatefull.jpg

eso76

jett said:
What do you think this is? Are you mental?

yep, and car models don't use the same lod as replays. The models used in replays and home menu (which is 30 fps despite showing only 1 car onscreen) are higher lod versions of the ones you see ingame, don't tell me you never noticed while playing prologue.

But they're still stunning, and the fact those california pics i quoted earlier are from a replay is still impressive in itself. The highest lod model of the same car in fm3 is basically the same, geometry wise, but apparently a (much?) lower lod version is used in replays -not to mention ingame- from what i've seen

Iknos

Redbeard said:
It got serious when even bullshots get photoshopped

I pointed this out in the FM3 thread a long time ago.

There is a glitch with the HDR bloom.

The sky bloom and the spec highlight bloom on the rims are the causes.

You're 0 for 2 now. :lol

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
KHarvey16 said:
People with experience saying "this is better than that" is too ambiguous for you?

That still boils down to a 'my opinion is better than your opinion' kind of argument, which isn't really going to definitively:)P) prove anything... In the end I'm buying both games. I liked GT5P's handling better than Forza 2's, but I really enjoyed both, so I'm sure Polyphony and Turn 10's followups will be even better.

imtehman

Banned
Redbeard said:
It's not really Turn 10's fault since they're working on inferior hardware that can only push 8 cars at 720p and 2xAA.

Lawlerskates, Holy shiet and this is before demo is out and months before a GT5 release date

By the way anychance i can get a response to this question

Any of these games will allow my to pimp out my car with body kits and change my car into a rice rocket?

phil_t

Banned
-viper- said:
I think you're confused because this is a GT5P video as opposed to a Forza 3 video.

The fact the same car has produced pretty much the exact same time is outstanding. No direct relationship between physics and processing and ability to set a lap time close to real life? What...

I think it shows the physics are more realistic than you think. Probably also shows how the F1 car is accurate in GT5P, and the Suzuka track is well made in the game.

Now you've mentioned this, my confusion has lifted..

But no, I don't think it actually proves much at all.. it certainly doesn't prove physics realism by a long way.. It's a different car on a smoother representation of the circuit with different aero etc and it posts the same time? If I had a Need For Speed game that could post a similar time to real life on a real world track, they could hail it as being a top notch simulator? I don't think so, it just means that the innacuracies have luckily stacked together to produce the right time..

Redbeard said:
It's not really Turn 10's fault since they're working on inferior hardware that can only push 8 cars at 720p and 2xAA.
But somehow the tracks in Forza 3 look better then GT5's empty fields of green or brown amirite?

Dragon

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
People with experience saying "this is better than that" is too ambiguous for you?

APPEAL TO AUTHORITY

PWN3D

Here I'll go ask what Richard Petty thinks and he'll decide it.

Er what there's NASCAR in GT5? Ch3wned.

jaypah

chubigans said:
Ah it's ON NOW!

I CAN'T LOOK AWAY. I'M SUPPOSED TO BE DOING OTHER SHIT BUT I CAN'T LOOK AWAY. could you imagine if one of the games had turned out to be utter shit? man, that would have been something else. but considering that GT has legit competition this time around reality might be even worse. i wish they were releasing on the same day.

Yoritomo

Redbeard said:

Imagine if T10 were PS3 developers, then we'd get both the best graphics and a better physics model than GT!!

ypo said:
GT5's metals vs Forza 3's plastics.

Metal kicks the crap out of plastic.

Metal wins.

Kind of funny that most of the cars you're looking at are made of composites and plastic and not metal. Forza realism for the win.

Redbeard said:

you know (since you went there), this is a pretty ridiculous thing to say

the hardware can "push" any number of cars. the question would be what would they look like (what level of detail)? turn 10 chose to stick with 8 to make sure they all look good.

show us a screen shot of GT5 with a closeup of one of those 16 cars on a track and let's see how good it looks.

to say the hardware "can't do it" is just flamebait.

and how about we measure GT's final output resolution (and AA settings) with 16 cars on track before making silly claims?

Iknos

Captain Pants said:
I liked GT5P's handling better than Forza 2's, but I really enjoyed both, so I'm sure Polyphony and Turn 10's followups will be even better.

I agree. People playing with controllers may think both are similar or even FM2 feels better but on a DFP/MS wheel Prologue feels better to me.

It's pretty subjective and few of us can expertly comment on this. I haven't driven hundreds of real sports cars for example. But I do a lot of driving and I feel Prologue really gets the feel of the car right. I've thoroughly enjoyed GT3 and some of 4 but when I played Prologue that is when I felt that GT got it right.

When I hear the improvements T10 is making I feel confident that it will play at least as good as Prologue. When I hear it being compared to PC sims I get very very excited.

SeaOfMadness said:

the hardware can "push" any number of cars. the question would be what would they look like (what level of detail)? turn 10 chose to stick with 8 to make sure they all look good.

show us a screen shot of GT5 with a closeup of one of those 16 cars on a track and let's see how good it looks.

and how about we measure GT's final output resolution (and AA settings) with 16 cars on track before making silly claims?

1280x1080, 2xAA

jett

D-Member
SeaOfMadness said:

What Redbeard said was completely retarded, but you really need to put a sock in that LOD FUD. All games use LOD. All.

Here's exactly what you asked:

11jqbo9.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
SeaofMadness said:

H_Prestige said:
1280x1080, 2xAA
Oh man this is a great thread. :lol

eso76

Dra-Q said:
Do not forget, this is how sims looked 10 years ago:

TTT161.feat1a.granturismo_w500.jpg

We've come a long f'ing way.

ouch. back then i thought it was impressive PD found a way to put some depth in those rims.

phil_t

Banned
jett said:
What Redbeard said was completely retarded, but you really need to put a sock in that LOD FUD. All games use LOD. All.

That's a good post...

I don't think people give PD enough credit for their LOD system, you can see FM3 tops out at a reasonable level, but drops down very readily, in GT5p, you can literally get closer and closer to a car, and the LOD just gets higher and higher..

This is the one aspect of their graphics engine that impresses me the most..

Yoritomo

Teknoman said:
How are the soundtrack in Forza games?

Playing music while racing is blasphemy, although I'm sure if you're playing Forza you wouldn't mind some music to cover the mediocre sounds.

Iknos

jett said:

11jqbo9.jpg

Pretty sure that's a replay shot as you can see a vignette around the screen. Or it could be an offscreen photo...which is it?

He is right about the LOD stuff. Prologue has some very noticable LOD changes while racing and the replay models are good step above the in-game models.

What you should marvel at is how you have 16 cars on a track all with their own independent physics calculations. I think that is the biggest bottleneck here.

Iknos said:
I totally agree that FM2 had some physics issues. The center of gravity is too high and that resulted in a "floaty" feel for obvious reasons.

But we are talking FM3 and when the ISR guys played it at E3 they were floored and hinted that it even compared to PC sims in terms of physics.

Are you talking about those guys from Inside Sim Racing? Aren't those the same idiots that did a comparison with GT5: P and Forza 2 and said Forza 2 was just slightly better? :lol :lol :lol Holy shit. And you dsicredit Top Gear? Bro, come on now.

Compared to PC racing sims? Like I said, can't wait to get my hands on this game. I would love to prove those idiots claiming Forza 3 has superior OMFG physics.

For a console racer anything that can even compare to LFS at least. You can get clues about how a game handles by watching vids but really first hand impressions trump what you might get from a vid. And that's all I'm going by here.

Well, I saw the videos, some of the latest ones. And Forza 3 does seem to handle like a magic carpet. I even saw the full video, it feels as if there is no traction between the ground and the car tires. There is no weight to the car.

I think FM gets too much unnecessary hate here that's for sure so I am defending it more often than not. In the FM3 thread I criticize the game in all aspects but yeah I try to keep it fair.

Bullshit. You are just defending it because you are bias to FM3. Don't give excuses.

I have to say I'm equally looking forward to both games and plan to play the hell out of both but you are right when you say that I lean towards Forza and it's been like that since FM2. My GT fandom peaked at GT3 and for some reason I wasn't much interested in playing much of GT4.

Well, guess you are bias towards FM. I'm not even sure why you even want to play GT5 when you clearly said "my GT fandom peaked at GT3 and for some reason I wasn't much interested in playing much of GT4" but suddenly you are all interested in playing GT5? Come on man.

Both games have issues and FM3 and GT5 seem to be addressing those very issues. IMO there's not much to complain about.

Yup.

I'm surprised that this thread has hit full gear and neither game is out. When both are out all of those getting both should post a comparison.

I'm just here for one reason, I just want to see this whole superior physics that everyone keeps saying about Forza Motorsport 3. Because I just didn't see it from playing Forza 2.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:

http://i39.tinypic.com/11jqbo9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
In the replays, you can go to all the cars and see them all being the standard fidelity I believe.

shinnn

Diablohead said:
But somehow the tracks in Forza 3 look better then GT5's empty fields of green or brown amirite?
not really. look at london.. the most beaultiful (and short) track of GT5p.. it's beautiful with 16 cars ... oh wait. It's only have 12. Well, get Tokyo in last GT5 demo. Ops, they dropped to 10 cars. But at least ONE car have(very limited) damage =)

Top Bottom