• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Microsoft age: XBOX 360 wireless reciever for the PC....WTF

I call some Gamestops and Bestbuys and find out no one has it in stock. So I decide I just buy it online.

List price for the thing is 19.99, but it's out of stock everywhere except for Amazon who charges 50 fucking dollars for the thing. What the hell is going on with this accessory? I already bought the wireless 360 controller at 50 bucks now I need to spend another 50?

Mother fuck

And before anyone says "just get a wired one" know my current setup won't work with it. I have everything plugged to my TV.

I believe they discontinued it didn't they? I think it only comes with the controller now.

...which is why I bought mine used.

Cat in the Hat said:
I call some Gamestops and Bestbuys and find out no one has it in stock. So I decide I just buy it online.

List price for the thing is 19.99, but it's out of stock everywhere except for Amazon who charges 50 fucking dollars for the thing. What the hell is going on with this accessory? I already bought the wireless 360 controller at 50 bucks now I need to spend another 50?

Mother fuck

And before anyone says "just get a wired one" know my current setup won't work with it. I have everything plugged to my TV.

Isn't this more "fuck amazon"?

It took me driving across town to a Gamestop that had 1. Otherwise it was impossible to find by itself. Best Buy has them in the PC accessories section but only with another controller.
(and it's 3rd party sellers selling it for $50 on Amazon, Amazon itself doesn't have it in-stock)

xSL4INx

Microsoft discontinued the item earlier this year.

I also believe they no longer make wired 360 controllers or memory cards anymore either.

Miburou

Motherfuckers indeed; I paid $50 for this same controller a couple of months back.

Fimbulvetr said:
Isn't this more "fuck amazon"?

Well, MS discontinuing the dongle meant the only way to get it is to buy it with a controller; now we have added one more wireless controller to our household, in addition to the 7 we already had.

So I just got my package today and the reciever looks to be dead......I plugged it in and the light doesn't come on, is it broke or what? I have the latest drivers for my computer and for the device. I don't know what to do.

Cheeto

Cat in the Hat said:
So I just got my package today and the reciever looks to be dead......I plugged it in and the light doesn't come on, is it broke or what? I have the latest drivers for my computer and for the device. I don't know what to do.
Test your usb port with another device and make sure it's not the port...otherwise, yea it's probably dead.

Cheeto said:
Test your usb port with another device and make sure it's not the port...otherwise, yea it's probably dead.
Yeah just checked. The port is fine, MIIICROSOOOOOFT! I hate this company so much, yet i'm about ready to buy ANOTHER receiver. I just don't want to buy one then find out it was fine I just had to do some random thing.

Cat in the Hat said:
Yeah just checked. The port is fine, MIIICROSOOOOOFT! I hate this company so much, yet i'm about ready to buy ANOTHER receiver. I just don't want to buy one then find out it was fine I just had to do some random thing.
Can't you just return it? Unless you need it right away.

I didn't know the adaptor's themselves were so expensive. Good thing I grabbed one when they first hit stores.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The device/software doesn't play well with some other USB devices/motherboards. On my computer if I have a saitek eclipse and a logitech g7 plugged in, plugging in the wireless receiver causes my mouse to stop working, very annoying. I have to do a special boot with none of my USB devices plugged in and then add them one at a time in a particular order after windows is booted to get everything working at the same time. Fortunately I use the controller for very few games.

I was down the same path about a month ago. I finally caved in and got a madcatz wired control pad from radioshack and it works great. Beat Batman Arkham Asylum with it. If you're gonna use the D-pad a lot then I wouldn't recommend it but other than that it works just fine for me

Edit: I obviously can't read lol but wired is the way to go though

Welp my my fix it yourself method lead to me smashing the piece of shit against the wall. Could I just get cables for the wireless controllers and they will work like a wired one? cause I have 2 wiele controller just sitting around now. Also are the cords expensive?

Fuck you Microsoft, I hope you're reading this.

Where did you buy it from? Couldn't you just return it?

Looks like they stopped selling these for a reason. I've got one I picked up at Target for real cheap on clearance. I've never plugged it in, but now I'm wondering if it would even work? I've got a wired 360 pad I use every day.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Yea, dude you're acting stupid. And speaking of stupid, the Play'N Charge cables won't make the wireless controllers wired.
Thanks for that...dude

elrechazao said:
I bought it for 9.99 on newegg a while back now.
I'll look there before I get the headset bundle.

And I got it at Amazon

Newegg just sells the bundle like everywhere else. I'll just get the headset bundle.

And don't you worry Microsoft fans I got money for days, I'll be fine. Thanks for your concerns though guys ;)

Varna said:
Wait until you see how shitty the drivers are for the controller.
Yeah I've already read about that...doesn't surprise me. It is Microsoft after all. I've also read that GFW Live supported games work on it and that's all I need.

If by shitty you mean instantly recognized and works perfectly for the dozen or so games I've tried it with, then yes, amazingly shitty.

My receiver is busted, it's widely known that the product is faulty (how strange of ms), but even here in Mx I can get a pad+receiver for about 25 bucks. Not bad. And what is this driver nonsense? I never had a problem.

Trip Warhawkins said:
My receiver is busted, it's widely known that the product is faulty (how strange of ms), but even here in Mx I can get a pad+receiver for about 25 bucks. Not bad. And what is this driver nonsense? I never had a problem.
That's good to know, I read up on it and I think the problem was mostly on older OS. Also I'm Jealous that you only had to pay 25 dollars :eek:.

big_z

damn i didnt know the receiver was discontinued. i was thinking of picking one up in a few days to play batmang. stupid game is giving me crab hands.

I can't remember if I bought it in a Wireless controller bundle or separately, but mine has been working for 2 years now *knocks on wood*. I don't just use it for the controller but to use my wireless headset when watching TV at night as well. You can also use the MS Wheel but theres no force feedback.

Its still around but I guess its only in a bundle now.

Psy-Phi

elrechazao said:
If by shitty you mean instantly recognized and works perfectly for the dozen or so games I've tried it with, then yes, amazingly shitty.
Doesnt' work perfectly for Assassin's Creed. Unless you somehow played the game without the triggers. Also you can't configure the controller at all...which is a step right back to 1992 for controllers on PC. Also sucks for any game that needs a DirectX controller and not an Xinput one -- just flat out won't work. Usually older games.

Honestly though Cat in the Hat, I'd suggest buying a different controller and downloading the X360 emulation driver. It emulates your controller's directx inputs to be that of Xinput. It's how I got my G13's stick to be recognized in FarCry 2. Pretty nice.

You can get the software here http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4

Then it requires a little bit of editing to work perfectly for your controller but it's initial layout is designed with that of a Logitech dual sitck controller in mind I believe.

Struct09

I sold my 360 controller wireless receiver for $10 in the buy/sell/trade thread not too long ago. I should have asked for more!

infinityBCRT said:
I can't remember if I bought it in a Wireless controller bundle or separately, but mine has been working for 2 years now *knocks on wood*. I don't just use it for the controller but to use my wireless headset when watching TV at night as well. You can also use the MS Wheel but theres no force feedback.

Its still around but I guess its only in a bundle now.
I didn't know the wheel was compatable with it. That's pretty cool actually.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
You're an idiot, brah.
I smashed in a million pieces, and it felt good. Does that bother you? I quite enjoyed it. I'd do it again too. You call it idiocy I call it doing whatever the hell I want with my property. To each their own.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yes, the adapter is, literally, a piece of shit when it comes to build quality and reliability. I was using one for over two years without a single issue, until one day I removed it from the USB port while the computer was on. Guess what? Didn't work anymore. Reading up (which, interestingly enough, works better than smashing things into a wall) i found out that it's a very power hungry device, using all of the 500mah one usb port provides.

So, if your USB port is not a native one (in other words, it's not bolted to your motherboard, or it's not a direct cable from the USB pin on your motherboard to a connector), the adapter won't prolly work. Even worse, it can fry the USB connector. It won't work properly (or at all) with that 2 USD USB extensions/hub you bought at cheaponlinestore.com
If you motherboard has cheap connectors, it could blow them up.

Because of the juice it asks from the USB connector, it also has a Fuse that blows when you tamper with it (mostly, when you connect and/or disconnect it with the computer on).

After mine blew up, I just bought another and made a mental note (and attached an adhesive to the wire) to NEVER unplug it with the computer on.

The thing is, tho. If you work within some logic boundaries, the adapter does it's job. Nicely, may I add.

Only problem with the drivers is that you cannot assign keys to the buttons. In other words, you can't make games that don't detect the controller work with it - but most official drivers for gamepads on PC don't allow you to do it. You can just use joy2key or some other software solution for that.

However, it works with every wireless controller for Microsoft. From the wheel to Rockband/Guitar Hero instruments. It even adds another audio out and audio in devices (as long as you plug in the headset on the controller). If you fiddle with the games configuration, you can even make voice chat be received and sent through the headset, while the actual game sounds come out of your speakers, if you have them.

drizzle said:
Yes, the adapter is, literally, a piece of shit when it comes to build quality and reliability. I was using one for over two years without a single issue, until one day I removed it from the USB port while the computer was on. Guess what? Didn't work anymore. Reading up (which, interestingly enough, works better than smashing things into a wall) i found out that it's a very power hungry device, using all of the 500mah one usb port provides.

So, if your USB port is not a native one (in other words, it's not bolted to your motherboard, or it's not a direct cable from the USB pin on your motherboard to a connector), the adapter won't prolly work. Even worse, it can fry the USB connector. It won't work properly (or at all) with that 2 USD USB extensions/hub you bought at cheaponlinestore.com

Because of the juice it asks from the USB connector, it also has a Fuse that blows when you tamper with it (mostly, when you connect and/or disconnect it with the computer on).

After mine blew up, I just bought another and made a mental note (and attached an adhesive to the wire) to NEVER unplug it with the computer on.

The thing is, tho. If you work within some logic boundaries, the adapter does it's job. Nicely, may I add.

Only problem with the drivers is that you cannot assign keys to the buttons. In other words, you can't make games that don't detect the controller work with it - but most official drivers for gamepads on PC don't allow you to do it. You can just use joy2key or some other software solution for that.

However, it works with every wireless controller for Microsoft. From the wheel to Rockband/Guitar Hero instruments. It even adds another audio out and audio in devices (as long as you plug in the headset on the controller). If you fiddle with the games configuration, you can even make voice chat be received and sent through the headset, while the actual game sounds come out of your speakers, if you have them.
Thanks for the info I'll keep it in mind for my round 2 :lol

drizzle said:

Can't you use the XBCD drivers for button configuration?

darkwings

Banned
so my USB reciever has fried? Because it does not work anymore.

Okay, so I have the latest drivers for it. I had it working for months, but a couple of weeks I plugged it out from the USB port, and yesterday i plugged it in again, and now it has stopped working at all! The light isnt there and i tried reinstall the drivers, but nope. It isnt even present in the device manager, so what do I do now

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Also, i can't stress this enough, DO NOT KEEP PLUGGING/UNPLUGGING IT WITH THE COMPUTER ON.

That's what makes the fuse blow up. Just find a USB port on the back of your computer, plug it in (with the computer off) and leave it there forever. Plugging stuff in with the computer on is dumb.

darkwings

Banned
drizzle said:
Also, i can't stress this enough, DO NOT KEEP PLUGGING/UNPLUGGING IT WITH THE COMPUTER ON.

That's what makes the fuse blow up. Just find a USB port on the back of your computer, plug it in (with the computer off) and leave it there forever. Plugging stuff in with the computer on is dumb.

dude, this fault clearly lies on MS side. People are plugging in and out USB stuff all day without problems. This is the first time I had a problem like this. POS hardware indeed.

darkwings said:
dude, this fault clearly lies on MS side. People are plugging in and out USB stuff all day without problems. This is the first time I had a problem like this. POS hardware indeed.
I agree

When I plugged mine in my computer was on, but I plug everything in while my computer is on. How was I to know it would break it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
darkwings said:

Yes, as i stated earlier, the fact that it can't handle a power surge of 500mah without blowing a fuse is, indeed, stupid.

However, it's easily avoidable. Also, most stuff people keep plugging in and out daily don't use 500mah. Few devices do.

Everdred

Bought mine for $7 and some change about 6 months ago, from amazon.com. I've never had an issues with it either. Connects just fine all the time.

Top Bottom