• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superman #44 is decent. The sequence where he's getting increasingly angry at all the villains trying to take advantage of his exposed identity is great, you can really tell he's at his wits end. Especially now that
he got fired. And slapped.
The Hordr thing continues to be the weakest part of the arc, tho. It's just... not terribly interesting. I get that they're setting up his current, largely-depowered status, but... I dunno. Especially now that it's clear that "hordr " is just a deliberate misspelling of "hoarder." Superman's getting his ass kicked by a TLC reject. And I'm really not sold on the art. Don't get the JRJR hype.

But like I said, it had some solid character moments and decent writing. Like a 7/10 issue, if I wanted to score it.

Fall of Harbinger

wow. Best single issue I've read since I finished Doom Patrol. Man. Just man. Goes right for the feels, but even the story is so unexpected. You end up feeling things you never expected you would. Then the art goes to fucking 11, and you're like what the fuckkkk Kano, I wasn't ready for this.

Messi

I had an interview today and they offered me the job. I was like.

tumblr_mxe2gfRhUs1rfiq6mo4_500.gif

Then

T92QrR6.gif

Tizoc

Alright PS4 ComicGAF, Fighting game GAF and VitaGAF are doing it, so here's my PSN account if you wanna add me to the ComicGAF community on PS4
Tizoc789

Justice League #44. Okay, it's official: this was going to be a Crisis event. It's just... there's no other way. Literal Batgod? Darkseid vs. the Anti-Monitor? The
anti-life equation
rearing its head? Flash
becoming the Black Racer
? Darkseid
straight up dying
?

This has every earmark of a line-wide event, for less than 5 dollars a month. Tasty, tasty madness, in a convenient package.

Justice League #44. Okay, it's official: this was going to be a Crisis event. It's just... there's no other way. Literal Batgod? Darkseid vs. the Anti-Monitor? The
anti-life equation
rearing its head? Flash
becoming the Black Racer
? Darkseid
straight up dying
?

This has every earmark of a line-wide event, for less than 5 dollars a month. Tasty, tasty madness, in a convenient package.

Those reviews got me looking at this very seriously. Going to have to check this arc out.

has there ever been a better comic than drifter

I'll let you know once I read it, because I don't know that anyone else does lol

I don't know if I should spoiler tag this, but I will just to be on the safe side. Supposedly, in the latest issue of Lobo, the entire Red Lanterns run
has been retconned and reset to the status quo from the beginning of the New 52.
I don't read Lobo though, so I can't confirm if this is true or not.

Reading Batman Annual #4... when did they resolve the whole "Bruce has no money and the manor is an asylum now" thing from Eternal?

EDIT: Oh, they're explaining it now, aight.

Owzers

Good job, Messi. Now order that fucking Royo Wonder Woman.

They might not have a new date for it yet. Calm down.

wait for statue worrying about paint, finally get statue, see all the problems with statue, attempt to paint statue and dislike the end result, wait for the next statue hoping it will be better....

i'm still in the first phase.

wait for statue worrying about paint, finally get statue, see all the problems with statue, attempt to paint statue and dislike the end result, wait for the next statue hoping it will be better....

i'm still in the first phase.

I think your expectations may be too high. I mean, even really high-end stuff like Sideshow pieces can sometimes come out looking like shit despite amazing prototype pics.

Batman Annual #4 was pretty good. It wasn't a tour de force like last month's issue was, but it was solid. Plays the dramatic irony of the scenario to the hilt.

The newest Burger King thread that turned into The Great Ketchup War is blowing my mind. Genuinely didn't realise so many people were against ketchup on a sausage or rasher sandwich.

Still not as good as brown sauce though.

I like mustard. On everything

Also, how come no one is calling Messi out for using gifs from a non-romantic comedy film? Hmmmm? Almost invalidates the whole achievement right there with this totally uncharacteristic behavior.

lol poor choice of words on my part.

Bolded: Why is that?

(only read the first OHC, but) she just kinda came off as a caricature rather than a person, even though she had clear motives. that's kinda how i felt about most of those characters in those issues and what kept me back from fully liking it

(only read the first OHC, but) she just kinda came off as a caricature rather than a person, even though she had clear motives. that's kinda how i felt about most of those characters in those issues and what kept me back from fully liking it

That is bizarre criticism to me. Each of the characters are given some very deep characterization in those early issues, which is expanded on later, but gives them a very good basis onto which Dysart constructs the story. At the very least, I can understand how Faith in particular may feel a bit forced at first as this nerd girl, but the other characters are really complex individuals and certainly not caricatures by any definition.

In particular, and I'll draw a comparison with X-Men for a quick second because they are very similar in premise, Harbinger focuses more on what separates these characters from society as individuals rather than because of their powers. Peter is the only one that really feels like he's been pushed away from society because of his powers, whereas Torque, Charlene, and Faith were pushed away because they are outliers - whether it's because of disease, or because they've been abused, or because they don't feel like they fit with reality. These are things that shaped their personality and caused them to become social pariahs, and most of them are not tied to their supernatural nature.

Now, one thing I could possibly understand is that these characters do some pretty questionable or unlikable things. Peter feels so alone that he rapes Kris, or Charlene incinerates that one boyfriend, or Torque is a douche 99% of the time, but that's apart of what makes those characters and I don't think they are any less likable because of that. They are made more human and better developed because of it.

Also, there's the crown jewel of this whole story, Harada. Call him a megalomaniac or whatever, but even after he's been defeated or pushed back multiple times, he still has an unimpeded vision of what he wants society to be like. He's a mastermind, but he's far from being a true agent of evil. He wants what's best for the world, or at least what his vision of that is, and he is completely uncompromising in it. We can see that even beyond the story of Harbinger, through to Fall of, this remains the absolute core of the character - whatever he may do to manipulate others, he does it for their own good.

I think you should revisit the series. Even if you didn't like how it started, Dysart takes these characters to some truly unique places. The ending of Harbinger, and Fall of, have this unique poetry to them that I've never quite seen in any comic. I wish more people could experience this, because it's really one of the greatest series I've ever read.

I decided to treat myself to the first two volumes of Hellboy. Did I do good? I heard it's a bit...of a lesser comic, i guess, at least while Byrne is still onboard.

Stealth edit: obligatory congratulations Messi!

Grayson Annual #2 was pretty great. Dick and Supes broing it up was as entertaining as I'd hoped it was, and their shared moment of "god, when you lay it out like that, our lives are absurd" was wonderful. Need to go back and reread my Grayson issues, since I can't say I remember that much about the Fist of Cain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom