• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it common to make big multi-topping sandwiches in the US?

Ledsen

In movies and shows they always do these huge Subway-style sandwiches with tons of toppings. Never just a basic butter and cheese sandwich. Is this common in US homes? Another trope is people only eating a sandwich for lunch. I can't imagine how hungry you must be after such a meal! I know our Norwegian neighbours do this as well, but they're kinda crazy soooooo...

j9RvHga.png

Ferrio

Banned
In movies and shows they always do these huge Subway-style sandwiches with tons of toppings. Never just a simple butter and cheese-type sandwich. Is this common in US homes?

What kinda poverty shit is that? Gross. "Know what this solid milk fat needs? Less solid milk fat"

I mean, define common?

Eating a sandwich with meat, cheese and veggies is basically a meal unto itself. It's not... like... super common, but if you're gonna eat a sandwich, eat a sandwich, yeah? There's stuff like Grilled Cheese sandwiches of course, but that's sort of its own thing.

EDIT: And of course there's super simple sandwiches too, your ham and cheese type deals, but we were never big on those at my house.

Viewt

At a restaurant, the expectation is that you'll get multiple toppings, yeah. At home? Maybe only 3-4 things are going on the sandwich (being 1-2 main ingredients like meats or cheeses, and then an additional 1-2 things like condiments or general toppings).

DJ_Lae

I'll occasionally make a big crazy sandwich at home, but I generally don't have all the toppings on hand to do so. And I'm not going to cut up an entire tomato just for one sandwich, open a can of olives and then have to use it up over the next few days, etc. Too much hassle most of the time.

Usually it'll be a tuna melt, or ham and cheese, or good old PB&J (but always jam, never jelly).

Amory

i just had a chicken sandwich with lettuce tomato onion and avocado on it. it was pretty great.

yes, toppings are good.

Fat4all

Banned
In movies and shows they always do these huge Subway-style sandwiches with tons of toppings. Never just a simple butter and cheese-type sandwich. Is this common in US homes? Another trope is people only eating a sandwich for lunch. I can't imagine how hungry you must be after such a meal! I know our Norwegian neighbours do this as well, but they're kinda crazy soooooo...

The heck's a butter and cheese sandwich?!?

My sandwich usually has meat, cheese, mustard, mayo, pickles and black pepper. Sometimes Cholula.

Somnid

It's common enough. Typically people like a lot of meat in the sandwich, usually with the same ratio to bread. It's different than say a French style sandwich that's a lot of bread and a bit of cheese and ham.

I don't think I've ever heard someone describe butter and cheese on bread as a sandwich before.

Butter and cheese? You mean like a grilled cheese?

Ohhhhhh that would make sense

I'll typically only have a sandwich for lunch, but it's gonna be packing plenty of veggies, meat, cheese and condiments.

LQX

Its a sandwich you can make any how you want. More toppings, less toppings. Moreover, if you are paying for it you tend to want more.

Man, people outside of the US sure like to make simple shit seem so complicated.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
In movies and shows they always do these huge Subway-style sandwiches with tons of toppings. Never just a simple butter and cheese-type sandwich. Is this common in US homes? Another trope is people only eating a sandwich for lunch. I can't imagine how hungry you must be after such a meal! I know our Norwegian neighbours do this as well, but they're kinda crazy soooooo...

j9RvHga.png

Maybe you are hungry after a sandwich, because your sandwiches sound lame as fuck.

Ledsen

daveo42

Banned
Basic sandwiches are usually meat, cheese, and condiments. Not every sandwich has a load of veggies added to it, but it can be considered a full meal after adding stuff like tomato, lettuce, pickles, mayo, mustard, onion, and maybe a second meat like bacon.

Butter and cheese sandwich sounds like a snack or in desperate of needing to be paired with a nice tomato soup.

Escargo

I really hope op meant peanut butter and cheese.... But even then I would find that deplorable. Give me that nice and juicy turkey sandwich with tons of toppings.

daveo42

Banned
Why would you grill it? It has delicious cheese on it, you eat good cheese like that.

Good cheese is good. Good cheese is off the chain when melted with butter and bread in a grilled cheese sandwich. I'd suggest trying it once.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its not uncommon. The problem is that I'm only in the mood for like one or two a week, and then you have to figure out what else to do with the tomatoes and stuff before they go bad.

I'm from Canada and I like to load up my subs... But I never eat them in one seating. I'll cut it up and eat throughout the day

Top Bottom