• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water English Gameplay Videos surfacing

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm there day one for it, got my limited edition pre-ordered and the impressions sound great, but then again this is Makoto Shibata we are talking about here. He knows what he's doing.

Maybe the localization was actually done by Tecmo? But the game's being published by Nintendo? Are people really sure that Nintendo were handling the localization of the game or is that just an assumption?

While he has his quirks, it's kind of nice that there's a video game with 5+ entries and he's directed each one and kept the series in a pretty consistent direction, though apparently there were some pretty radical changes initially planned for the title.

It might be Tecmo that dubbed it, I don't think we know 100%, but I think Nintendo handled dubbing of FF2Wii, as they also did with Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower, so I think most (myself included) assumed it'd be the same here, but maybe a very different situation?

I'd be pretty surprised if they removed anything at this point, seeing as it has PEGI and USK 18 certificates.

While it sucks that the US isn't getting a physical copy, I gotta support console survival horror. The glowing impressions make it even better.

With the right ratings table, and the fact Nintendo seems a bit more lax now than they were even 4-5 years ago with it, they may very well get through. I mean, I guess there's nothing "worse" in this than Bayonetta series, for example.

It's designed to make player felt more vulnerable and unsecured in a survival horror. Imagine replacing the young girl with ordinary outfit and minimum protection gear with a huge, muscular 7 ft tall space marine with buster sword, yeah.

While I agree, she's definitely designed festively. I like the coloration and outfit, but it's also not something someone would enter into a cursed forest with regularly, but there is some suspension of disbelief here as it is a horror trope at this point.

I got an order in for the physical LE at least. It makes absolutely no sense that so few copies were put up for pre-order. At the same time, the Xenoblade Chronicles X LE is still up in the UK store. Really fucking dumb.

I think they don't expect it to sell that well, but who knows, maybe they'll be surprised, maybe not.

I'd definitely prefer to have a physical release of this considering I still like to go back to the original Xbox to play the FF2 director's cut from time to time, but I'm just happy this game's coming out at all.

That's about my stance on it, better this than nothing, though I would of bought physical too.

Zero²

ehh I'm just glad this game is coming at all. I remember some months ago people really doubting it would come to US.
And it's a niche game anyway, it would never sell all that much specially considering it's on the Wiiu.

Glass Rebel

Looking forward to trying out the demo in 3 weeks. I think I saw some 60fps footage but what's the game's internal framerate?

Dusk Golem

Just got 100% confirmed: Game has dual-audio, and the game may not be censored, the slots for the Bikini costumes to be unlocked are in the English version. Someone uploaded a video and showed the game had dual-audio in the English version, and the slots either mean the costumes or still in or they've been replaced, but not taken out is definitely confirmed.

artsi

Just got 100% confirmed: Game has dual-audio, and the game may not be censored, the slots for the Bikini costumes to be unlocked are in the English version. Someone uploaded a video and showed the game had dual-audio in the English version, and the slots either mean the costumes or still in or they've been replaced, but not taken out is definitely confirmed.

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll be sure to pick it up then.

kunonabi

The costumes being replaced would be just as awful as them being removed but dual-audio being confirmed is good to hear.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I appreciate all the links. I'm bummed about the digital-only release too, but I know I'm going to have a good time with the title. Really like what I've seen so far.

SephLuis

I think her armor is her wetness gauge...or something like that.
Not sure if they took that out

If I remember correctly, the more wet you are, the more screwed you will be.

It's not armor at all, if I am not mistaken, you take even more damage when wet.

Effect

Maybe the good press could get NoA to stop being stupid and try to get a physical release out before the end of the year to let the game possibly sell better.

GREAT NEWS!

Ridley327

I figured that dual audio was happening since the E3 build was basically final and featured Japanese VA, but it's great to see it confirmed. Since it's such a distinctly Japanese-set game, it would just be way too weird for me to leave the English VA on.

ohlawd

when the game is being sent out to die, I doubt they'll bother messing with anything than what needs to be localized

so yaaaaasss gimme those risque costumes

chrono01

I keep forgetting this is actually releasing this month. It still pains me that it's not getting a physical release in NA. I'd love to play it, but I'm not about to purchase an external HDD for one game [and I've heard USB drives aren't entirely reliable]. Well that, and purchasing a digital copy for $70 CDN isn't exactly something I want to do, especially considering I always purchase physical over digital if I can. I despise digital-only.

Oh well, maybe they'll eventually do a physical release, ala Super Luigi U? I won't give up the dream...

RMI

Banned

This is the real news!

Only half kidding.

well my game spending got altered somewhat this month so I am really looking forward to this game!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
guys, if this wasn't digital, it wouldn't be getting a release at all, just like the wii game

it's not digital or physical, it's digital or nothing

they're not sending it to die, they decided they can probably get some sales instead of no sales, but a physical release would be too expensive

Sakura

guys, if this wasn't digital, it wouldn't be getting a release at all, just like the wii game

they're not sending it to die, they decided they can probably get some sales instead of no sales, but a physical release would be too expensive

Isn't it physical in Europe though...?

AdanVC

Day one purchase then n__n

Dusk Golem

What does the free demo consist of? The first chapter or so?

The Prologue and Chapters 1 & 2. So the first three chapters of the game of 16 total. Also if you buy the game after you've played those chapters, it keeps your save file so you can resume where you left off.

chrono01

Normally, I'd agree. However, when every other region is getting a physical release [in some capacity], it kind of makes the fact that we're only getting digital [and a large download/install size in addition] a little more difficult to accept.

What's the size?
16GB download, and I believe the install size is a bit larger [due to the download being compressed], but I'm not 100% on that.

Dusk Golem

What's the size?

I believe it's 16 GB, but a bit larger when it unpacks, but some confirmation fully on the size would be nice. Regardless, it's a large game for WiiU's drive.

EDIT: Beaten, but yai. I think when it's unpacked it's supposed to be closer to 20 GB, but again, confirmation would be nice.

Astral Dog

Zero²;181243494 said:
ehh I'm just glad this game is coming at all. I remember some months ago people really doubting it would come to US.
And it's a niche game anyway, it would never sell all that much specially considering it's on the Wiiu.

its always sad thinking about this, hoow no matter the game the system itself is the reason its going to sell badly, im hoping for at least a surprise moderate success, if not for this at least for Xenoblade or FE, Splatoon surprised us all by being one of the best selling games and reaching 2 millions one day.

Sure, but if NoE can take the "risk" I don't see why NoA can't. Just do a limited edition version like NoE.
Might be because the difference in perception in a physical and digital game vs all digital.
Like AA5, I accepted it had to be digital so I bought it. If there's a limited run it feels different. Not sure if that actually affects sales or not

It's designed to make player felt more vulnerable and unsecured in a survival horror. Imagine replacing the young girl with ordinary outfit and minimum protection gear with a huge, muscular 7 ft tall space marine with buster sword, yeah.
Why does it have to be that goddamn extreme? There's middle ground in this!

I think the guy you were responding to was saying (and I'd agree) they can keep the beautiful teen girl but her outfit IS very distracting. It's impossible to ignore and stick like a sore thumb with the rest of the atmosphere. Especially the girl from the prologue in her frilly impossibly short dress and oh-so-Japanese-fetishistic thigh highs.

Also "it's designed to make the feel the player vulnerable" my fucking ass. It's designed to tiltilate the player. Make no mistake. These girls are designed this way to appeal to make straight male gamers. Anything else besides that you are reading way too much.

He'll there's a point in the game where all the time you're playing as a girl you can visibly see part of her buttcrack due o how low her super-tight pants are! And it's impossible to not see since it's there in front of you all the time! If that can't be considered distracting in a horror game I don't know what is.

Persona7

Banned

I think they are sending it to die because they didn't even bother advertising this game in the E3 event that sorely needed content. This is probably one of the clearest examples of sending a product out to die.

I think they are sending it to die because they didn't even bother advertising this game in the E3 event that sorely needed content. This is probably one of the clearest examples of sending a product out to die.

Hahaha so true. Anyway, I'm happy NoE at least put out a limited edition.

chrono01

It's even more insulting when a game such as Devil's Third [a game that's pretty universally panned as being a bad game] is getting a physical release and Fatal Frame 5, an installment in an established franchise with many fans, isn't. :(

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's even more insulting when a game such as Devil's Third [a game that's pretty universally panned as being a bad game] is getting a physical release and Fatal Frame 5, an installment in an established franchise with many fans, isn't. :(
Don't blame them, we clearly made a huge uproar over not getting Devil's Third. Established franchise doesn't mean shit if the previous audience may not be on your console.

adapipika

Banned
port begging? nope, just asking for info.

didn't know that because i bought 1 and 2 on US sale for 99cent for PS3...

too bad....it looks nice.

Escalario

Banned

Many fans? Fatal Frame is a niche within a niche within a niche. It was selling so horribly that Tecmo Koei now makes new installments only if some other publisher pays for it. It's a real shame too, because it's the only horror series that feels truly japanese.

I'm pretty disappointed that this isn't seeing a physical release. I really wanted to add it to the Wii U collection. I may give it a shot sometime, but being eShop-only has pushed it down on the priority list to buy. Definitely hoping it turns out well, though.

Oddish1

For some reason I was just assuming it wasn't being dubbed and was just going to be subtitled. Nice to see I was wrong.

This game is published by a major platform holder, not by some niche localisation studio on the verge of insolvency. This argument might make sense if they had to develop the game altogether, but for simply asking for a proper localisation of an already made game plus some marketing? What a joke.
Not to mention, digital only isn't that much better than no localisation at all on such crappy and anti-consumer hardware such as the WiiU. If I don't get the LE in Europe, I'm not getting it at all.

different markets are different

NoE surely didn't make major cash (if any at all) when they've properly released many niche games that NoA didn't over the last 5 years. But unlike Reggie's shit house called NoA, modern NoE thankfully doesn't see hardcore gamers as worthless and comprehends that a platform holder must also cultivate smaller groups to keep their platforms healthy.
So many franchises didn't even get a chance to grow in the west because of such konami-tier shit treatment and this series is as good as dead too. If it was up tor NoA, Nintendo avatars wouldn't even have a second Xenoblade left to overhype, because the first one would have never been green-lit. Absolutely pathetic and inexcusable behaviour from a platform holder like Nintendo.

I'm playing this right now for the GameXplain review and I have to say, after a worryingly slow start I'm quite enjoying it so far. The GamePad usage is great and the game is very good at establishing an unsettling, disturbing atmosphere that pervades the whole experience and leaves you constantly feeling uneasy. I do have some issues with the game, but I'm still in the early chapters and if what I've played so far is indicative of the whole experience, I'm pretty confident that Fatal Frame fans will be quite happy with this. I hope that remains the case throughout the rest of the game!

I have to disagree with the previews saying there aren't jump scares, though; there definitely are. There aren't very many of them so far, but they're certainly there.

kunonabi

I'm playing this right now for the GameXplain review and I have to say, after a worryingly slow start I'm quite enjoying it so far. The GamePad usage is great and the game is very good at establishing an unsettling, disturbing atmosphere that pervades the whole experience and leaves you constantly feeling uneasy. I do have some issues with the game, but I'm still in the early chapters and if what I've played so far is indicative of the whole experience, I'm pretty confident that Fatal Frame fans will be quite happy with this. I hope that remains the case throughout the rest of the game!

I have to disagree with the previews saying there aren't jump scares, though; there definitely are. There aren't very many of them so far, but they're certainly there.

Will you be able to say anything about the extra costumes being altered before or in the review?

chrono01

Don't blame them, we clearly made a huge uproar over not getting Devil's Third. Established franchise doesn't mean shit if the previous audience may not be on your console.
Man, I'm still surprised Devil's Third got any kind of uproar. It always looked horrible to me. :/

Many fans? Fatal Frame is a niche within a niche within a niche. It was selling so horribly that Tecmo Koei now makes new installments only if some other publisher pays for it. It's a real shame too, because it's the only horror series that feels truly japanese.
True, perhaps "many" was too strong a word, but it's at least more well-known than Devil's Third. Although, the latter being a new IP, that's not entirely surprising.

And yeah, Fatal Frame has always been [and still is] my favorite horror series. It beats Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. for me. I wish more people actually played them.

Top Bottom