• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 gets a new, lower price starting Friday: $349.99

The Halo 5 bundle has been available for pre-order since August though. Hard to make a comparison since sales are split between months. I agree that $500 is a lot (and I felt that the bundle should have been cheaper when it was announced) but we also don't know how many people will get a regular XB1 SKU alongside Halo 5 after the game releases either.

However, the Halo 5 bundle failed to be in the Top 100 in the September monthly charts...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If anything I think it simply shows that many who are getting an Xbox One this month will be doing it for Halo 5.

As Elandyll spells it out, that doesn't bode well. That means they will have a slow sales month driven by their biggest IP. If Halo 5 was really selling consoles you would think a $349 SKU would be in the top 20. I'd bet the LE SKU sales means there are going to be a lot of second models for sale after the Halo fans sell their original console. What fan of Halo is going to spend $500 on a XB1 that never bought a XB1 for MCC?

This isn't about PS4 price drop but I'm pretty sure MS trusts Halo 5 to sell well without bundles, and they need those own published games to sell well. But I still wonder why they don't use Halo to sell consoles.

Bgamer90

Banned
Are people really waiting the very last minute (October 19th for the bundle, or the 26th for the regular SKUs already available)?

If Halo 5 is the main push for someone to get an Xbox One this month then I don't see why the person would get the system before the game launches (well, that is if the $500 Halo bundle is too much for them).

And if so, why did Destiny on PS4 have such a different hype level and pre-orders affect on Hardware than Halo 5 (at least as it appears right now)?

Not really understanding the comparison. Regular SKU PS4 has always been pretty high in these monthly lists regardless of whether or not it has a major game release. All I did was simply say that it looks like most who are getting an Xbox One this month are doing it for Halo (I never said how many and/or if the system will beat the PS4 in October). The $500 Halo bundle is higher than all other Xbox One SKUs even though it's not in stores yet.

As Elandyll spells it out, that doesn't bode well. That means they will have a slow sales month driven by their biggest IP. If Halo 5 was really selling consoles you would think a $349 SKU would be in the top 20.

The game isn't out yet though so I don't understand how someone could come to this conclusion.

What fan of Halo is going to spend $500 on a XB1 that never bought a XB1 for MCC?

A Halo fan that's really pumped for the first true Halo game this gen? MCC's problems as well as the simple fact that it was a remake collection caused some fans to hold off.

Tubie

The Last of Us bundle has been consistently doing better than the Uncharted bundle on the amazon chart since the price drop.

Really didn't expect that.

Kyne

With this announcement I was waiting for The Taken King Destiny Bundle to be on sale.. but It never came.

It's been sold out on Amazon since then as well, which I found a little strange.

I unfortunately missed out on the deal last Monday that put it at $350, and then the one at Target for $400 + a $50 gift card.

I inevitably turned to Newegg which had no tax, $7 shipping and came with a free copy of FF-Type 0. It's my 2nd PS4 and I'm gifting my original one to my roommates.. so.. not bad.

The PS4 hype is real, let me tell you.

Elandyll

Banned
The game isn't out yet though so I don't understand how someone could come to this conclusion. ...

It's a matter of looking at the indicators really (whichever we have available), which could indeed potentially turn out quite wrong.
After all, it's very possible that a large chunk of the 360 player base intends to show up at Gamestops for the midnight launch and get an XB1 at the same time as their Halo 5... who knows?

But as for the Destiny comparison, I thought it was quite apt.

FPS by Bungie in one case, 343i on the other (but the Franchise created by Bungie). With hardware limited edition Bundles for Both. And both announced 2 months before release.

The biggest real difference is the price differential vs the base model imo. The Halo 5 SKU has a $150 premium attached to it (but also comes with more in the box than just a custom look), whereas the Destiny one had only a $50 premium.

Again, the Halo 5 SKU was completely -out- of the September Amazon top 100 ranking.

Does it really mean something though?

I guess we'll see in mid November.

As per you saying that you only meant that you think that most of October XB1 buyers will do it for Halo5... Perhaps? Probably? I'm not sure why intention matters vs amount of sales really (when historically you have insisted that the XB1 was going to dominate October thanks to Halo5), but... sure?

#shrug

Purest 78

If Halo 5 is the main push for someone to get an Xbox One this month then I don't see why the person would get the system before the game launches (well, that is if the $500 Halo bundle is too much for them).

Not really understanding the comparison. Regular SKU PS4 has always been pretty high in these monthly lists regardless of whether or not it has a major game release. All I did was simply say that it looks like most who are getting an Xbox One this month are doing it for Halo (I never said how many and/or if the system will beat the PS4 in October). The $500 Halo bundle is higher than all other Xbox One SKUs even though it's not in stores yet.

The game isn't out yet though so I don't understand how someone could come to this conclusion.

A Halo fan that's really pumped for the first true Halo game this gen? MCC's problems as well as the simple fact that it was a remake collection caused some fans to hold off.

The point is you mentioned how long the halo5 bundle has been available for preorder. Yet didn't Crack the top 100 last month or top twenty this month. With that in mind doesn't seem to be moving as much hardware as you think. Obviously that's just Amazon and it's certainly not the full picture. I'm in the camp that lots of halo fans already have a X1.

Sarobi

Banned
Seen PlayStation's latest commercial last night during The Walking Dead. It featured Uncharted, Call of Duty, and Battlefront with the "now only 349.99" tag. I can definitely see how the COD marketing can play in their favor here.

With this announcement I was waiting for The Taken King Destiny Bundle to be on sale.. but It never came.

It's been sold out on Amazon since then as well, which I found a little strange.

I unfortunately missed out on the deal last Monday that put it at $350, and then the one at Target for $400 + a $50 gift card.

I inevitably turned to Newegg which had no tax, $7 shipping and came with a free copy of FF-Type 0. It's my 2nd PS4 and I'm gifting my original one to my roommates.. so.. not bad.

The PS4 hype is real, let me tell you.

Glad I jumped on the bundle when it came with MGSV on amazon. .. which I sold on ebay for $50. Now if only I could sell my old PS4 for $300 so I can break Even.

Seen PlayStation's latest commercial last night during The Walking Dead. It featured Uncharted, Call of Duty, and Battlefront with the "now only 349.99" tag. I can definitely see how the COD marketing can play in their favor here.

That some good marketing there.

Bgamer90

Banned
I guess we'll see in mid November.

As per you saying that you only meant that you think that most of October XB1 buyers will do it for Halo5... Perhaps? Probably?

Yes; My post was in reply to someone else stating how the Halo SKU was above all of the other Xbox One SKUs. I never made the reply to state or predict a number of overall (monthly) sales.

I'm not sure why intention matters vs amount of sales really (when historically you have insisted that the XB1 was going to dominate October thanks to Halo5), but... sure? #shrug

Haha -- I did say that but that had nothing to do with my reply in this thread. I also made that statement before Sony announced their price drop. I currently think that if the Xbox One gets October then it will be by less than 75K.

The point is you mentioned how long the halo5 bundle has been available for preorder. Yet didn't Crack the top 100 last month or top twenty this month.

It was in the twenties for August too if I remember correctly. But anyway, I don't see how that changes my point. I mentioned it simply because no one knows the actual sales all these rankings will add up to for this month (October) and the Halo SKU (obviously) won't be the only XB1 SKU that people will get this month.

With that in mind doesn't seem to be moving as much hardware as you think. Obviously that's just Amazon and it's certainly not the full picture. I'm in the camp that lots of halo fans already have a X1.

But I never said anything about how much hardware I think it's moving in this thread. All I've said was that it seems like many who are going to get an Xbox One this month are doing it for Halo. I don't know how many Xbox Ones will be sold this month and would feel strange making a prediction/statement before Halo 5 even releases.

Anyway, this is turning into another one of my basic (at least to me) replies spiraling into a bit of a derail (which was never my intention as I was replying to someone else). This price drop for the PS4 will definitely get more people on board to this current gen of gaming. Really looking forward to hearing how Holiday sales are.

I did the Target deal on Saturday, to get the console plus the $50 gift card as an early Black Friday deal that doesn't require dealing with Black Friday crowds. Target had to price-match from Target.com, though :) They didn't have the new $350 price in their computers yet (their video game guy said "that's already gone into effect?") Got The Last of Us bundle, since I was more in a slow-paced zombie and story mood than an action-filled Indiana Jones mood.

Tobor

I did the Target deal on Saturday, to get the console plus the $50 gift card as an early Black Friday deal that doesn't require dealing with Black Friday crowds. Target had to price-match from Target.com, though :) They didn't have the new $350 price in their computers yet (their video game guy said "that's already gone into effect?") Got The Last of Us bundle, since I was more in a slow-paced zombie mood than an action-filled Indiana Jones mood.

Can't go wrong either way! Enjoy!

Yeah, I think that commercial will make a big impact if they keep buying that ad space for it.

Looks like MS has the "presented by Xbox" thing for WD at the moment along with their H5 commercial.

Shin-Ra

If anything I think it simply shows that many who are getting an Xbox One this month will be doing it for Halo 5.
I don't understand why people interested in other games would slow down buying Xbone's before Halo 5 releases unless there was a known good-value Halo 5 deal coming or the PS4 looks more attractive.

People were looking at Amazon last year to try and gauge comparisons, and that didn't work because MS were targeting stores and focusing on the non-savvy offline purchaser.

People were looking at Amazon last year to try and gauge comparisons, and that didn't work because MS were targeting stores and focusing on the non-savvy offline purchaser.
Yep, Amazon is kinda hard for comparisons, it's so small part still of overall market. If we could get Gamestop charts, then it would be much easier and interesting.

noobie

Banned
But pre orders (at least on Amazon, and according to Abdiel at BB as well) don't seem to hint at that much of a rise in orders for October...

So they aren't selling -now- as much as some anticipate, and the pre-orders for the bundle aren't on the level either, at least for now.

Are people really waiting the very last minute (October 19th for the bundle, or the 26th for the regular SKUs already available)?

And if so, why did Destiny on PS4 have such a different hype level and pre-orders affect on Hardware than Halo 5 (at least as it appears right now)? For the record I am not a Destiny fan btw.

As reminder:

Destiny on PS4 (a new IP):
Bundle announced in July 2014 (for a September release)
- July Amazon ranking: #24 (standard PS4 @ #11)
- August Amazon ranking: #8 (standard PS4 @4)
- September Amazon ranking: #6 (standard PS4 @ 11)

Halo 5 on XB1
Bundle announced in August 2015 (for a late October release)
- August Amazon ranking: #24 (closest next SKU #40 MCC)
- September Amazon ranking: _ Not in the top 100 (first SKU is the Forza Bundle @ #56, followed by other bundles at #92 and #96)
- October: TBC (temporary, as of October 12th, the SKU is at #44, while having hovered around #35 in the past few days on the Hourly which, yes, means little aside from instant trending).

So ... Unless things change -Drastically- in the next two weeks ... I just don't see it.

Can we check how Halo 3 or Halo 4 did on Amazon before their launches.. Although i think they released September which is relatively quiet month..

Troy

Banned
Yep, Amazon is kinda hard for comparisons, it's so small part still of overall market. If we could get Gamestop charts, then it would be much easier and interesting.
Yet what we see there is quite often reflected in many NPD reports. If it wasn't so accurate I don't think people would continue to use it.

Yet what we see there is quite often reflected in many NPD reports. If it wasn't so accurate I don't think people would continue to use it.
Yes I gives some direction but doesn't often tell the whole picture, it has failed many times. But it's best we have so of course we should use it. (but not hourly charts)

Javin98

Banned
Yes I gives some direction but doesn't often tell the whole picture, it has failed many times. But it's best we have so of course we should use it. (but not hourly charts)
Wait, what? The Amazon monthly charts have correctly predicted the victor for each month since the launch of the current gen consoles, except for one, April 2015. Even then, 2 XB1 SKU's were really close to the leading PS4 SKU, with the closest one being just one spot behind. The thing is, the monthly charts can accurately be used to predict the winner, but judging the gap based on the difference in positions will likely result in a prediction being way off. Unless you were talking about software sales, then Amazon is useless.

Tubie

The monthly charts have been correct 21/22 times since the PS4/XB1 came out when it comes to hardware sales.

The only thing they are not good for is predicting the actual gap in sales the winner will have (or software sales).

Wait, what? The Amazon monthly charts have correctly predicted the victor for each month since the launch of the current gen consoles, except for one, April 2015. Even then, 2 XB1 SKU's were really close to the leading PS4 SKU, with the closest one being just one spot behind. The thing is, the monthly charts can accurately be used to predict the winner, but judging the gap based on the difference in positions will likely result in a prediction being way off. Unless you were talking about software sales, then Amazon is useless.
Then I stand corrected, I thought that last holiday was fail too, my bad.

Javin98

Banned
Then I stand corrected, I thought that last holiday was fail too, my bad.
Just to make sure, I checked the monthly charts for November 2014 and the XB1 AC Unity bundle was at #2, significantly ahead of any PS4 SKU at that time. It's just that no one expected the XB1 to beat the PS4 by 400K, but the Microsoft was having insane deals at that time.

It'll win October and December as well. MS hasn't had a console you can buy right now in the top 50 at Amazon US for quite awhile.

We'll see about that. Phil aka Captain Hindsight already said that PS4 would get a price cut and that they'll see into how to react.

I bet my shiny non-metal ass that there will be some crazy Brack Friday Bundurus from MS. They'll sell a shitload of consoles and we'll see if the power of Star Wars and CoD will be enough to match that. That said, I thnik this is a completely open race.

They are most likely waiting for the inevitable special holiday offers. No wonder after the stunts MS pulled off last year if you ask me.

On Demand

Banned

Amazon is a small percentage of NPD data but it's a pretty big retailer where alot of people shop. So you can expect the buying trends on there to follow at other retailers.

And it does. Here's GS online chart-

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=28-xu0,134f

If you filter it by just consoles-

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles?nav=28-xu0,13ffff2412-4f

The only time where Amazon shouldn't be used as a predictor is if other retailers have deals going on since obviously people would be buying more consoles from there than Amazon.

Javin98

Banned
We'll see about that. Phil aka Captain Hindsight already said that PS4 would get a price cut and that they'll see into how to react.

I bet my shiny non-metal ass that there will be some crazy Brack Friday Bundurus from MS. They'll sell a shitload of consoles and we'll see if the power of Star Wars and CoD will be enough to match that. That said, I thnik this is a completely open race.
I don't think it's far fetched to think that Sony will also have insane Black Friday bundles too. If Microsoft keeps the bundles at the current price for most of the holidays (and I think they will), then the PS4 will probably win the holiday season, though not by a very large margin. Regardless, both consoles will sell incredibly well.

watdaeff4

I don't think it's far fetched to think that Sony will also have insane Black Friday bundles too. If Microsoft keeps the bundles at the current price for most of the holidays (and I think they will), then the PS4 will probably win the holiday season, though not by a very large margin. Regardless, both consoles will sell incredibly well.
If XB1 bundles are priced the same as now, the PS4 will smoke it in Nov./Dec.

Maybe not the type of margin we saw XB1 have over PS4 during those months last year, but it will still be a significant difference.

That time of year most people are looking at 1) price/value and 1a) price/value. If the $ is the same, then they are going to look at what games are coming "free" with it and CoD or Star Wars during Episode VII mania is more attractive to most consumers than any of the games coming bundled XB1. Halo 5 is in the ballpark but then go back to the price of that bundle. Fallout 4 is a nice bundle and am interested to see how it sells if it's possible to get the bundle-specific numbers.

I'm curious though to see what MS strategy is going to be. Cut the prices to try to "win" those two months in the USofA; or think they are doing okay enough with install base and try to maintain margins. I botched the PS4 pricecut prediction so won't try to guess on this one.

Javin98

Banned
If XB1 bundles are priced the same as now, the PS4 will smoke it in Nov./Dec.

Maybe not the type of margin we saw XB1 have over PS4 during those months last year, but it will still be a significant difference.

That time of year most people are looking at 1) price/value and 1a) price/value. If the $ is the same, then they are going to look at what games are coming "free" with it and CoD or Star Wars during Episode VII mania is more attractive to most consumers than any of the games coming bundled XB1. Halo 5 is in the ballpark but then go back to the price of that bundle. Fallout 4 is a nice bundle and am interested to see how it sells if it's possible to get the bundle-specific numbers.

I'm curious though to see what MS strategy is going to be. Cut the prices to try to "win" those two months in the USofA; or think they are doing okay enough with install base and try to maintain margins. I botched the PS4 pricecut prediction so won't try to guess on this one.
Yep, we've seen that at the same price point, the PS4 will usually come out on top in sales. However, the XB1 bundles do remain pretty competitive and I think whichever console wins will win by a gap of not more than 100K. This holiday season, I think Microsoft will play it safer and won't risk losing as much money as they did last holiday season.

MrBlonde

I am an Xbox guy but I am so tempted to pull the trigger on this. All I want it for is God of War and Until Dawn which are both on sale this week. PS4, God of War, Until Dawn = $410, hmmmm....but I have no interest in either games it is bundled with

crazyprac

I am an Xbox guy but I am so tempted to pull the trigger on this. All I want it for is God of War and Until Dawn which are both on sale this week. PS4, God of War, Until Dawn = $410, hmmmm....but I have no interest in either games it is bundled with

Sell the game here?

Troy

Banned
Really want a white PS4 but the lack of a price drop on the Destiny one is putting me off an impulse buy.

Where were you last week? You could have had it for 349 plus a 50 dollar gift card from Target. That's a Black Friday quality deal right there. It was also 349.99 at Amazon until they completely sold out in a day or two.

Elandyll

Banned
From Monoprice, so reputable source (if weird, they generally sell cables, albeit very nice ones).

... Wtf... it's like it's BF already, between this and Target last week ;)

Where were you last week? You could have had it for 349 plus a 50 dollar gift card from Target. That's a Black Friday quality deal right there. It was also 349.99 at Amazon until they completely sold out in a day or two.

I had three exams last week, didn't really stay on top of internet news. Apparently that was a mistake :s

Top Bottom