• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Witcher 3 patch 1.10 gives PS4 the boost it's been waiting for

JSoup

Banned
So, what with all the people saying everything is better, I'm guessing they put out a fix for all the broken crap for this patch? Like all DLC content being striped?

sector4

Awesome! The issues didn't stop me from completing the game around release, but this is a nice bonus in time for the DLC, thanks CDPR!

Great patch, I've been playing Hearts of Stone for a few hours now and the framerate has been solid on PS4. Patch 1.10 is a huge improvement performance wise, along with hundreds of bug fixes.

When the game would start raining, it used to tank my framerate. It's fixed now, and feels very smooth.

didn't notice much of a difference myself and the UI is still horrendously slow. it leaves crafting or alchemy frustrating chore yet.

and it's still rather unstable. i've crashed 4 times so far... first time, Crow's Perch had all this glitchy ground textures and then after I came out of the well, the game crashed. second time, loading the 'Seven Dwarfs' island, the game froze and looped a sound effect until I restarted the PS4. Third time... forget at the moment but it even corrupted my user save file. All my controls, UI changes, etc were all reset to default. This was all in just one night, too (Friday night over about 7 hours). Was good Saturday and Sunday night but it crashed again last night. Not too mention other small bugs... Had 2 quests get bugged and unable to complete (Skellige's Most Wanted which I googled is an old bug, and Witcher's Forge which won't let me put the book on the pedestal no matter how many times I reload/leave the zone and come back). Maybe.... 5% of the time that I use Fast Travel, Roach gets bugged and I can't summon him. Have to reload the game. Or he does a graphical face stand for a riding animation. And the UI is still soooo slow.

love the game but it's also one of the most frustrating games I've played recently. at the very least, I can handle a few rare crashes and sloppy gameplay controls because the game world is so great. but the slow UI genuinely hurts the gameplay.

benzy

Can anyone with a PS4 take a screenshot of the fog in both versions... perhaps with close ups of the particle effect itself?

Haven't updated in a while so I managed to do some comparisons.

C57b.png

B57b.png

257b.png

357b.png

557b.png

D57b.png

657b.png

757b.png

VGA222

Banned
It appears some of the improvements they made are negatively impacting the XB1 framerate.....but I'm still curious what these improvements are.

Why do you seem to be so unfazed by CDPR releasing another patch that negatively impacts performance on Xbox One? I get the feeling that if they did this to the PS4 version that there would be hell to pay.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm guessing better familiarity with DirectX (PC devs) and not so much OpenGL.

Maybe CDPR are more familiar with DirectX than OpenGL and it's probably the reason why it took so long to make it right.

The PS4's preferred graphics library is not OpenGL. It has proprietary libraries called GNM (low-level) and GNMX (an higher-level abstraction wrapped around GNM).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Awesome news! Kudos to CDPR.
Your move, From Software. :)

Glad to see they've improved the Crookback Bog area. That was honestly the only area where I experience noticeable frame drops, everywhere else in the game ran pretty darn good on my PS4.

Ahhh, welcome back to the good old mythical, magical, special version of a console that no one else on Earth is equally lucky to own

Always rolled my eyes at the incredibly hyperbolic "unplayable" comments every time the PS4 version got mentioned.

Believe me, while reading this post my eyes would be popping on the floor if they'd started rolling any faster

Snorlocs

Just got the game on xbo to find out that the 16 gig patch that I had to download makes the game run worse than it did before the update. Very disappointed .

Javin98

Banned
Hmm, so they reduced some of the fog in the swamps and a few patches of foliage in that specific cutscene? Doesn't sound like a bad trade off overall. However, I don't think those alone would have improved performance to the point it is now. I do think CDP worked on optimizing the game on PS4 since we also got much better texture streaming and vastly reduced NPC pop in.

Never been bothered and probably never will be by frame rate dips! Finished the game before 1.03 on PS4 and was completely satisfied with the package! Only slightly annoyed with slow loading architecture in Novigrad.

Renekton

Hmm, so they reduced some of the fog in the swamps and a few patches of foliage in that specific cutscene? Doesn't sound like a bad trade off overall. However, I don't think those alone would have improved performance to the point it is now. I do think CDP worked on optimizing the game on PS4 since we also got much better texture streaming and vastly reduced NPC pop in.
I remember fog, smoke and dust alpha give PS4 a really hard time (also see MGS5).

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Oh... I JUST traded in my copy for FFX HD. Maybe I'll pick it up again when it's $20<.

Javin98

Banned
I remember fog, smoke and dust alpha give PS4 a really hard time (also see MGS5).
Well, generally alpha effects are pretty hard on hardware. I just think the reduced fog in the swamps alone isn't enough to boost frame rate to 27-30 from a locked 20. It's possible, but I belive CDP genuinely worked on the PS4 version to optimize it better.

drac96

So, with the new patch every scripted encounter with "bandits" is broken and I can't complete any quest where I have to kill "bandits." All that happens is they become hostile on the map, combat music starts, they stand there and are invincible. The front of their health bar says -1.

Good stuff.

Edit: Apparently this is a known issue with the quest "Fools Gold," but it happened to me in another quest too. At the end of "Where the Cat and the Wolf Play" when you can take the stash, the bandits outside do the same thing.

EGOMON

The gen of unfinished games
If this was other developer the conversation around here would have been very much different

Fredrik

Why oh why can't they add graphics settings for the details and resolution etc in the console version?

This jumping back and forth from playable to unplayable to playable to unplayable again with every update makes it impossible to know when and where to jump in. I still haven't dared to buy the game.

Why even bother playing a game at launch anymore? Bloodborne's loading times got patched a month or so after release, The Witcher 3's frame rate is fixed significantly several months after release, the option to remove the black bars from The Evil Within was introduced long after release.....the list goes on and on. Right now a friend of mine is stuck on the new Mad Max game with some glitch that won't let him access his map. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad developers are improving their games, but it really seems to be better to wait about 6 months or so to play a game. I'm glad I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet. By the time I get to it, I'll have a better experience than if I played it a launch. It'll probably be cheaper or it'll some GOTY edition (we all know it's coming) with all of the DLC.

Maybe CDPR are more familiar with DirectX than OpenGL and it's probably the reason why it took so long to make it right.

They admitted this before the game released. I knew it was capable of performing better than was up until this patch. Better late than never and I'm still in the first 3rd of the game so I'm glad I waited.

So they improved the framerate by decreasing scene fidelity? Well crap.

Whatever they did it was worth it. If it can't be noticed without someone else pointing it out to you it's not big deal.

Starting playing this again after the patch, continuing off from where I was. It's much smoother, not perfect, but an improvement.

Game is like 48GB now after the patch.

Speaking of the patch, I don't understand how this patch could be so large. I mean it's not replacing anything, it's just added an additional 17GB to the game, but besides the performance improvements and bug fixing there's nothing there that I can see that would take up some much space.Any ideas what 17gb could have been?

IndustryX

Excellent I just set aside W3 to play the Uncharted Collection and I was in the midst of Crookback bog and noticed bad stuttering. Looking forward to getting back into it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's some very good news for PS4 owners. Seems like CDPR have finally managed some real optimization, bringing PS4 performance to where it really should have been at launch. It was never acceptable for the PS4 version to be running that much worse than the XBO version (with the typical 900p vs 1080p resolution gap performance should always have been similar or slightly in favor of PS4, as it at last seems to be), and it's not quite acceptable that it has taken this long to see any real improvements. But I'm glad they've finally delivered, and I think it's time for me to jump back into this game. Or start over, actually. It's been too long to just jump in where I was, I think, and I was "only" around 35 hours in anyway.

The other issues this patch causes (disappearing DLC items and such) are just for NG+, right? Everything should be fine for a regular playthrough?

Eccocid

You know low framerates and constant hitching can actually really take people out of the game and therefore kill their enjoyment of the game. Additionally, the low framerates especially in an area where you are doing combat makes the combat REALLY unresponsive. A huge part of the enjoyment of this game is combat and hunting monsters. It's not all just about a number, regardless of how you are trying to portray it.

I think combat is already unresponsive and mashy mess. W3's combat would work in 10fps scenario too.

I think combat is already unresponsive and mashy mess. W3's combat would work in 10fps scenario too.

Yeah, it was weird coming from MGSV which obviously runs better, but not only that it controls near perfect. I still have issues with movement and combat in witcher 3. Does the alternative control method make any difference?

Hazanko

Banned
Yeah, it was weird coming from MGSV which obviously runs better, but not only that it controls near perfect. I still have issues with movement and combat in witcher 3. Does the alternative control method make any difference?

Yes but it still isn't great.

valkyre

This patch (for PS4) hopefully provides a valuable lesson to a lot of people who were claiming that "CDPR did all they could with the hardware they had, what did you expect."

We expected performance improvement. And now it is here. People should stop jumping to conclusions as to what is possible on what hardware. These comments mainly come from some PC owners which is unfortunate as, usualy it is the PC community that has better knowledge over how coding and hardware works.

CDPR didnt max out the consoles. Not even now they havent. Unfortunately it took them 5 months to fix something that should have been there from the beginning, but it still stands as proof that you can improve. Besides it was blatantly obvious that those 20 fps caps on PS4 were not due to hardware...

In any case, I hope XBOX1 owners get a patch that will put performance on par with PS4 and will alleviate the new issues that emerges with 1.10.

Again, stop jumping to naive comments about what hardware can do what. PC will always be the undisputed King, but saying that XXX developer cant do anything else to make the game run better is pure BS. Yes there will be a limit, but we are still early on this generation and CDPR sure as hell didnt max out next gen consoles with their first product. They perhaps maxed out their capabilities during the time frame they had in mind to release the game.

Game should have been delayed but I can somewhat understand that they needed to release their game during that window and they couldnt afford yet another delay.

Gurish

Why oh why can't they add graphics settings for the details and resolution etc in the console version?

This jumping back and forth from playable to unplayable to playable to unplayable again with every update makes it impossible to know when and where to jump in. I still haven't dared to buy the game.
Let me tell you something shocking, it was never unplayable!

Yea I know :O

malfcn

One.OneOne to go back and improve the One perf?

I started the game at launch and it felt playable. But then I visited other games. My wife played it a bunch and no complaints from her through the patches.

Only if there was some public organ... some sort of digital channel... some sort of foundry of knowledge... that could reach out to CDPR and ask the questions as to which things were optimized via removal and which were optimized by refactoring. Or that could create screenshot and micro-detail comparisons between the versions...

On PC I did not notice the removal of any alpha effects in the swamp btw like the screens above show. I could check later though of course.

Top Bottom