• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

andymcc

Banned
Prime Blue said:

is that an amalgamation of son goku and naruto?

Princess Skittles said:
GAF: WE WANT 2D SPRITEZ PLAZ DROOL.

[Castlevania Rebirth]

GAF: THIS IS SHIT LOLOL MEME MEME MEME ANIMATIED GIF RECYCLED JOKE NPD!$%T^

only a few people complained. i think it looks great, and i'm glad to see brand new sprites, something with iga's name attached to it rarely gets that opportunity.

Ranger X

lyre said:
Considering Dawn of Sorrow lifts sprites straight from SotN, the range between the two games is razor thin. Rebirth more resembles a more detailed Bloodlines or almost there SC4.

And people wonder why I hate Kojima sans SotN and AoS.

And you fight goofy looking skeletons, fish people and werewolves in CV games; cartoony sprites shouldn't be anything new to fans. >:p

Crazy. There's more colors and details in those screens that any screens of SCV4 or Bloodlines. Nah, sorry, this is Dawn of Sorrow level or better.

Prime Blue said:
Had to find the artwork for this guy.

2re702a.jpg

At first glance I thought he was a kid until I saw the facial hair. :lol

Haha. I love people coming in the thread defending the graphics in Rebirth. It doesn't look bad but it lacks the catching look of previous Vania games. Doesn't matter if it has a broader color palette. It's what colors you choose that greatly affect the overall look. It doesn't matter if it has more details graphics than IV, it doesn't have the attention to detail or the awesome settings.

evilromero said:
Haha. I love people coming in the thread defending the graphics in Rebirth. It doesn't look bad but it lacks the catching look of previous Vania games. Doesn't matter if it has a broader color palette. It's what colors you choose that greatly affect the overall look. It doesn't matter if it has more details graphics than IV, it doesn't have the attention to detail or the awesome settings.
Bloodlines doesn't have nearly the graphical detail or look of Castlevania IV, yet it's one of the best games. I love Castlevania IV as much as the next guy, but I don't expect every game to look like it.

andymcc

Banned
evilromero said:

what are the awesome settings i'm missing in CVIV again? the leaky basement? the haunted barnyard? the ghostly ballroom? scrooge mcduck's treasury?

I never really expected this to be one of the best looking games, since this is more of a bargain basement title.

And Simon's SCV4 design was cheesy.

D.Lo

ace harding: private eye said:
Have you played the original recently? The less connection, the better. I agree with everyone wishing they remade Belmont's Revenge instead.
I actually like the GB original. It's got poor controls and framerate issues, but was such a great looking and sounding game compared to everything else on the GB at the time. It can be pretty spooky.

I just find it very strange that they didn't just call this 'Castlevania: Rebirth'. Nobody thinks of the Gradius or Contra rebirths as remakes, they're clearly light hearted cheap sequels.

D.Lo said:
I actually like the GB original. It's got poor controls and framerate issues, but was such a great looking and sounding game compared to everything else on the GB at the time. It can be pretty spooky.

I just find it very strange that they didn't just call this 'Castlevania: Rebirth'. Nobody thinks of the Gradius or Contra rebirths as remakes, they're clearly light hearted cheap sequels.
I played it the other night, and forgot how boring and repetitive the level design is. The music and graphics are great, though.
Contra Rebirth and Gradius Rebirth weren't direct remakes; this is basically using Castlevania Adventure for most of its source, as opposed to scattered series ideas (like Gradius Rebirth), or new material (like Contra).

D3RANG3D

Gilgamesh said:
Screens don't look too bad.

That's not a skirt, that's a manly tunic for manly men.

Hey I didn't say he isn't pulling it off,
I give it two snaps a twist and a kiss.
:lol

Ranger X

Refresh your bad memory...

Castlevania%20-%20Dracula%20X%20(2).gif
ss_02.jpg
Super%20Castlevania%204%20(2).gif

castlevania-dawn-of-sorrow-20050817021121399.jpg
ss_03.jpg
castlevaniaaria_011603_5.jpg

castlevania-portrait-of-ruin-20060509020002902_640w.jpg
ss_04.jpg
gfs_45462_2_1.jpg

castlevania.jpg
ss_05.jpg
Castlevania%20Symphony%20of%20the%20Night.jpg

So yeah, its pretty hard to find good screens of certain Castlevanias but it's clear it doesn't look like a GBA game. It does not look at good as top notch stuff like Symphony of the night or Portrait of Ruin but it still is in line with what we see on DS generally speaking. The only thing that is really apparent and could make the game look bad is something i've seen nobody complain directly about: The color palette clearly is more "pastel" looking than what we are used to in Castlevania series.

So it DOES seems to generally look better than 16bit Castlevanias to me. I won't complain. The NES screenshot up there is obviously a joke...

Retro

I like well-done sprite work as much as the next guy, but I think people are missing the point; It's a fucking 2-D classic-style Castlevania game. Visuals aside, that's awesome enough for me and anyone else who actually grew up playing the series. Anyone complaining otherwise is just being picky or came late to the party and is spoiled by Post-SotN visuals.

Ranger X

Retro said:
I like well-done sprite work as much as the next guy, but I think people are missing the point; It's a fucking 2-D classic-style Castlevania game. Visuals aside, that's awesome enough for me and anyone else who actually grew up playing the series. Anyone complaining otherwise is just being picky or came late to the party and is spoiled by Post-SotN visuals.

It looks like a good looking 16bit games. I can take that any day.

Ranger X

magicalsoundshower said:
Well played, sir!

But yeah, the people who keep on insisting that the Rebirth games look like Genesis games and worse than something on the SNES continue to baffle me.

Not only that, it does look like GREAT SNES at minimum. Seriously, most of its library of games doesn't look good like Castlevania Rebirth.

Wizpig

Ranger X said:
it still is in line with what we see on DS generally speaking.
No it's not, sorry.
Also, keep in mind you're going to play this on a big screen.

Blargh.

Anyway, i'll buy it day-1.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Shit looks godly seriously. It's a BRAND NEW 2D CV! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
If it's half as good as any of the old classics, I'll cream myself! Who cares about reused assets? It still look slick as fuck. This needs to come out sooner than the other Rebirth titles. I can't wait months for this!

TheCardPlayer said:
Shit looks godly seriously. It's a BRAND NEW 2D CV! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
If it's half as good as any of the old classics, I'll cream myself! Who cares about reused assets? It still look slick as fuck. This needs to come out sooner than the other Rebirth titles. I can't wait months for this!

seriously, I'm pretty amped. And I can't believe someone noticed the goat head :lol

Wizpig said:
Which brings me to my question: any dates?
When is this coming out? :(
It comes out in Japan this week. The US release is unknown, but an English title screen has been shown, so it could be soon. Then again, Contra and Gradius took months to come over.

andymcc

Banned
ace harding: private eye said:
It comes out in Japan this week. The US release is unknown, but an English title screen has been shown, so it could be soon. Then again, Contra and Gradius took months to come over.

monday would be the last wiistore update before halloween... hopefully nintendo and konami will pull through. :lol

Ranger X

Wizpig said:
No it's not, sorry.
Also, keep in mind you're going to play this on a big screen.

Blargh.

Anyway, i'll buy it day-1.

How is it not? DS looks like great SNES. This looks like great SNES. Something with the art maybe?

Also, I love big screen. I'd play DS in a TV if I could any day.

highluxury said:
Fuck yeah! Looks like Konami is giving some loving to wiiware. First Contra rebirth, now this?

Is it bad to hope for more rebirths?

MG1 and MG2 rebirths!

:O

Didn't care for Contra Rebirth's art style though, but that's probably just because it paled in comparison to WayForward's Contra 4.

Edit: this seems to be in a similar style, which is a shame. Still, i'll probably check it out as long as it's not too hard.

Ranger X said:
The color palette clearly is more "pastel" looking than what we are used to in Castlevania series.

Aria of Sorrow had a similar color palette and I thought it suited the game quite well. It was really unique and a refreshing take on the same old castle we've explored for decades.

duckroll

Metal Gear is a little too focused and lengthy for a "ReBirth" title imo. Life Force ReBirth should be interesting though.

Ranger X

Pitch Black Flint said:
Aria of Sorrow had a similar color palette and I thought it suited the game quite well. It was really unique and a refreshing take on the same old castle we've explored for decades.

I sure don't mind the look of rebirth. I really hope it hits the US Wiiware next week.

duckroll said:
Metal Gear is a little too focused and lengthy for a "ReBirth" title imo. Life Force ReBirth should be interesting though.

Yeah, that's a little more "remake" than "rebirth," but god damn i would go ape shit if that happened.

andymcc

Banned
duckroll said:

wonder if it'll be a remake of Life Force NES (with the Gradius power-up system) or Salamander arcade (with the Salamander power-up system)...

Top Bottom