• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buys $2500 in parts for his PC, doesn't know how to put it together (livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
who are we supposed to help? the guy who isn't reading this thread?

This thread would be way better if you guys actually offered good advice. I would have learned something. (I guess I learned more about thermal paste... And that cables are still confusing)

I have seen nothing but people in this thread trying to offer advice, telling him to read the manuals and search out guides on how to build it, people telling him how to apply thermal paste.

The insults are a response to his ignorance.

Just go back and read this thread again. Advice/insult ratio is not that great :)

Titoin

I'm curious, what is the average time for a newbie to build his first PC?
It took me an hour the first time and there weren't many online tutorials back in 2000.
So I really don't understand people who say it's difficult.
I read messages where people compare it to advanced Lego, that's ridiculous, in Lego you never have a system that prevents you from assembling parts that shouldn't be put together unlike PC parts.
A PC is essentially made of 8 components which can hardly be put in the wrong place. That guy is dumb but he was totally right to think he could do it.

Lanrutcon

This thread would be way better if you guys actually offered good advice. I would have learned something. (I guess I learned more about thermal paste... And that cables are still confusing)

Just go back and read this thread again. Advice/insult ratio is not that great :)

Best advice I'd give someone who's going to build a box using modern parts is to take everything out of the boxes, physically check the part (what cables are coming out? what sockets does it have?) and then do some research around it. The box the part came in will have the keywords you need. The net is so full of general guides, tutorials, step by step intrsuctions, etc that it's hard to sift through it all without having a good idea what you're looking for.

Alucrid

Banned

not really. are you building one now? do you really want advice on building a PC? feel free to go here then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094682

why would we offer advice that goes into the void because no one is looking for it or asking for it here? if you see someone try and push a door that says pull, do you then think that doors are difficult to open?

No, he wasn't doing this for money or to joke around. He has a small viewership sometimes. Before I posted this thread, he had 200 of his own viewers there. I'm tired of answering to this statement as much as I have. I've watched his streams and I know how he is. He needs help and he isn't faking it.

What was his viewership at the height of his build stream? What was the point of posting this thread? By posting this thread you did exactly what I am talking about.

I have 0 subscribers and at most have had 2 people on at any given time.

If I wanted a huge increase I'd do exactly what this guy did and post on alt accounts or ask for people to post on this site, social media, and other popular tech sites.

If you did even a litte research in marketing and trends of twitch/ustream/YouTube subscribers you'd understand what I'm talking about. The vast majority of people don't clean up their subscriptions meaning life long subscribers even if they lose interest.

M52B28

Banned
If I wanted a huge increase I'd do exactly what this guy did and post on alt accounts or ask for people to post on this site, social media, and other popular tech sites.

If you did even a litte research in marketing and trends of twitch/ustream/YouTube subscribers you'd understand what I'm talking about. The vast majority of people don't clean up their subscriptions meaning life long subscribers even if they lose interest.
And now you're just reaching. Can't believe this is a real discussion now.

I posted this to see what this site would do for him, and from what I have noticed, that was absolutely horrible for me to do. Before this started, he had more attention to what he had to do. Posting this here was a mistake, and Ipersonally, feel bad for doing so.

People who watched that stream: What did he do wrong? Didn't plug cpu power in? left PSU turned off?

That's what I find the worst about this thread. Everyone yelling that the guy is an idiot but nobody is actually making it clear why that PC isn't working. I kind of want to know...

patapuf

What are you getting by dismissing my comments as fanboyish? Just go back and look at my past posts. I've never heard of the guy before. I'n fact I've never actually watched anything on Twitch besides Jeff Green play bloodborne.

I'm not defending him, I just don't find this whole PC building thing easy. And this thread is NOT helpful at all. What good suggestions have you made in this thread? It seems like at least half of the posts here are just unhelpful insults.

Gaf has a whole active OT dedicated to building PC's. There's a plethora of advice from Youtube tutorials, to written stuff, to forums dedicated to this stuff that will answer all questions.

Even if you find building PC's hard and need a whole afternoon or more to build it, it's doable if one is willing to look for help.

If you pick out the parts and don't read the manual you won't succeed. But you can't even build a Lego castle if you don't read the manual.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Apparently the definition of 'easy' these days means that a process needs zero knowledge or preparation to do. Give me a break. He got a high end motherboard and case. They have easy to follow manuals. It's literally a step by step process.

The issues you run into building your first PC is stuff like getting the right hardware to begin with (making sure it is all compatible) forgetting to plug in the Mobo power or figuring out how to place the cables without them constantly being in the way. IF this guy is seriously not trolling for subs with this stream, then it's really hard to feel bad for him since he refused to RTFM or watch a few videos and strictly relied on his chat.

That's what I find the worst about this thread. Everyone yelling that the guy is an idiot but nobody is actually making it clear why that PC isn't working. I kind of want to know...

He was fiddling with the thing for 10 hours right? Who knows what he could have done wrong or broke along the way. Power not plugged in properly. Power switch not plugged in the correct pins. DOA hardware is possible too.

Alucrid

Banned
And now you're just reaching. Can't believe this is a real discussion now.

I posted this to see what this site would do for him, and from what I have noticed, that was absolutely horrible for me to do. Before this started, he had more attention to what he had to do. Posting this here was a mistake, and Ipersonally, feel bad for doing so.

what we would do for him? what did you want us to do that he couldn't do himself? your OP even says

"He wont even watch the many tutorials on YouTube.

Probably one of the hardest things to watch."

ahdurian

People have tried
but then on stream his friends were saying that everyone but themselves were wrong, and that we were AIDS trying to deceive him

Grief.exe

It didn't turn on??
I almost wished I had stayed up to see his face live, but it was past midnight and he had spent the last hour literally slapping the back of his SSD against the case, expecting it to magically adhere.

ZH14KM7.gif

He was fiddling with the thing for 10 hours right? Who knows what he could have done wrong. Power not plugged in properly. Power switch not plugged in the correct pins. DOA hardware is possible too.

http://oddshot.tv/shot/likebutterlive-2015102515145224

http://www.twitch.tv/likebutterlive/v/22257632?t=12h38m53s
(Rips the GPU out of the motherboard, breaking some stuff as a result)

Overall, from what I've seen, people were genuinely trying to help him and his friends on Skype or whatever kept telling him not to listen while giving him bad advice. Also some rude comments towards the viewers and such.

Dwalls

Neo Member
I posted pictures illustrating how he should place the radiators and fans for his specific build. I registered on twitch to help him but couldn't chat because the British guy had decided to mute everyone that hadn't paid $5. Don't say I didn't try to help, or this community as a whole didn't try to help because we legit tried to help him and most of us were rooting for him.

However if you're incapable of following instructions, reading, or watching anything you're in for a wale of a time doing anything. It also doesn't help when you're unable to identify some guy actively leading you wrong for 13 hours straight, because Slippery(British Guy) was so incredibly detrimental to the whole process it ended up being hilarious. Instead of filtering the chat for him and picking useful suggestions he sat there reading every negative comment over and over, and he especially seemed to enjoy telling him to do misleading things like throwing salt water on his cpu over and over.

That being said, I conceptually don't understand how he failed at so many of the things for so long. Trying to insert a cable the wrong way round for 2 minutes is something that could happen to everyone, spending 30 minutes repeatedly mashing a 24 pin keyed power cable the wrong way round and not figuring you should turn it around is amazingly inept. It's especially amazing when 80% of the twitch chat comments at the time ended up telling him to turn the cable around. British guy could have told him that but he was playing trivial pursuit or something, while being angry at newegg(neogaf) for trying to help his friend successfully complete a build.

bigmac996

He was fiddling with the thing for 10 hours right? Who knows what he could have done wrong or broke along the way. Power not plugged in properly. Power switch not plugged in the correct pins. DOA hardware is possible too.

I have the same motherboard and had to return it because it was in fact DOA. Similar issue. I think the new Asus mobos are prone to problems like this.

KaYotiX

Banned
He spent all that money and refused to watch videos or read manuals so it's no wonder it didn't work.

Just cringe worthy watching some of that stream. His friends hardly helped and basically trolled him half the night.

CoG

That was painful to watch but hard to put down. The guy deserves all the shit he's getting, IMO. He didn't want to follow directions and a fairly complex first build. He was monetizing the stream so he really can't complain about the criticism.

Fitts

I'm curious, what is the average time for a newbie to build his first PC?

Took me a bit over two hours. Cable management took the longest and given the rigid power supply ribbons and M-ATX form factor I went with it was by far the most aggravating part of it. I had this stream on last night while I was doing other stuff, and as I lost my shit over the thermal paste getting ruined my girlfriend commented on how long it was taking him. She recalled "you went into the kitchen with a bunch of boxes, I took a nap, and then you walked out with a computer."

Knowing how to apply thermal paste and a suggestion to build/test outside of the case first were the only bits of info I really needed going in.

Kahoona

Overall, from what I've seen, people were genuinely trying to help him and his friends on Skype or whatever kept telling him not to listen while giving him bad advice. Also some rude comments towards the viewers and such.

I think I'm missing some context for that first clip. Is he trying to call people idiots for telling him to use rubbing alcohol to clean thermal paste?

Guy has raised at least 13,000 dollars since the channel was created. His average views per video were 50-60 views. He has monetizing adverts on his channel and sponsorship with Avermedia. He now has 30,465 followers, I wish I could see a before and after of this information or at least past 24 hour activity.

This PC build video has 800k views, so its roughly a 13,333 % increase. If only .01 % of those people subscribed that's 8,000 new subscribers. At 4.99 per subscription that's 39,920 dollars. 0.001% would be 3,992 dollars with 800 subscribers.

Guy has raised at least 13,000 dollars since the channel was created. His average views per video were 50-60 views. He has monetizing adverts on his channel and sponsorship with Avermedia. He now has 30,465 subscribers, I wish I could see a before and after of this information or at least past 24 hour activity.

This PC build video has 800k views, so its roughly a 13,333 % increase. If only .01 % of those people subscribed that's 8,000 new subscribers. At 4.99 per subscription that's 39,920 dollars.

30,465 Followers, I doubt he has more than a few hundred subscribers (ie, people who pay $4.99) Some of the top streamers on twitch (35,000+ viewers every stream, with 1,000,000+ followers) only have about 10,000 to 12,000 subscribers at most, with his average viewer count and follower count, he's no where near that.

EDIT: And for any subscriber he gets, twitch takes half, so he would only make out with about $2.50 from each potential subscriber.

Grief.exe

Guy has raised at least 13,000 dollars since the channel was created. His average views per video were 50-60 views. He has monetizing adverts on his channel and sponsorship with Avermedia. He now has 30,465 subscribers, I wish I could see a before and after of this information or at least past 24 hour activity.

This PC build video has 800k views, so its roughly a 13,333 % increase. If only .01 % of those people subscribed that's 8,000 new subscribers. At 4.99 per subscription that's 39,920 dollars.

Followers does not equal paid subscribers

For what it's worth, I watched for at least two hours last night and I saw zero subscription notifications. I saw two donations, both were for less than a dollar I believe.

This PC build video has 800k views, so its roughly a 13,333 % increase. If only .01 % of those people subscribed that's 8,000 new subscribers. At 4.99 per subscription that's 39,920 dollars. 0.001% would be 3,992 dollars with 800 subscribers.
Twitch gets 50% of that $5 so cut it all in half.

There's nothing to discuss except perhaps how an advertising thread made it to 25 pages.

Really?

Alright dude, whatever you say.

Pretty much. I was trying to help but they kept banning me and calling the chat AIDS. Really trashy. And someone in the chat was saying some pretty crappy remarks about this community and defending the shit the british guy was saying, someone who was also posting in this thread, but I'm not going to be shitty and call them out.

You know who you are and you're a twat for it.

Alucrid

Banned
I think I'm missing some context for that first clip. Is he trying to call people idiots for telling him to use rubbing alcohol to clean thermal paste?

yes, this post specifically. i think his one friend said to use rubbing alcohol and the other said not to and that ensued

RUBBING ALCOHOL

Really?

Alright dude, whatever you say.

Pretty much. I was trying to help but they kept banning me and calling the chat AIDS. Really trashy. And someone in the chat was saying some pretty crappy remarks about this community and defending the shit the british guy was saying, someone who was also posting in this thread, but I'm not going to be shitty and call them out.

You know who you are and you're a twat for it.

wow, lets hope they don't let slip some of the same vocabulary the british guy likes to use. that would be a shame if they got banned.

My apologies followers is what I meant, but the point I was making is sound. The impact of this video to his channel is a huge positive for a variety of reasons.

Maybe if he was a little scared instead of entitled to extreme simplicity he wouldn't have had so much trouble...

When people say it's like a lego set they mean the ones with the little instruction booklets showing the build order. Not a bucket of fucking legos and a dream.

And that's what last night was, a bucket of fucking legos and a dream.

His dream was crushed when he tried to turn it on and nothing worked. I wish him luck trying to get it to work correctly. Honestly, dude should take it apart and put it back together using a guide. Learn the proper way.

When people say it's like a lego set they mean the ones with the little instruction booklets showing the build order. Not a bucket of fucking legos and a dream.

lol

just lurking, but i just had to quote this

P.S. I built my first PC when I was in high school. I would've built it earlier but I didnt have the funds. If a kid can do it... (yes I learned by reading and tutorials)

Grief.exe

All the highlights you need in one place.

Some highlights:

The CPU struggle.

RAM abuse.

1 hour 28. First mention of motherboard going in. (Followed by epic cardboard fight!)

RAM back out.

A manual! (is skimmed) All of this CPU cooler segment should be watched as a way to punish yourself for your sins.

Mobo in WOOT!

Rad in. Looks like a PC!

Neat wiring solution and people moaning about the internet.

Can I really turn it on with the side off?

Success and defeat

The AE code is no operating system. So as beaten as he is, after 13 hours and such bad advice, he actually managed it. What his cooling is like is another issue (video?)
Looking forward to the follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom