• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Danexmurder said:
Just cleared area 4 yesterday. I thought the last fight there was really unique and interesting. I actually thought the 4-2 boss was a pushover.

Tried my hand at 5-2, made my way through, took out meatcleaver phantom, and got to the slug nest. Took a swipe at it and fell to my death. Any good suggestions on where to pick up a lot of Royal Lotus? So far 5-2 is living up to its reputation.

I think the prisoners in 3-1 dropped them fairly often.

sonicmj1

Last night, I just had the shocking revelation that you can buy shards of Sharpstone and Hardstone from the merchant in 2-1. I kept thinking, "Where the hell am I going to get enough shards to upgrade these weapons with Demon's Souls? I can't grind on 1-2 Hoplites forever." Little did I know the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

Today, if I have time, I'm gonna farm more souls to get Shards of Faintstone and Shards of Moonlightstone for the Moon Winged Spear and Blessed Mirdan Hammer I'm planning.

EDIT:

Danexmurder said:
Tried my hand at 5-2, made my way through, took out meatcleaver phantom, and got to the slug nest. Took a swipe at it and fell to my death.

That also happened to me the first time I went up there. When you attack the slug nest, you need to attack it from this wooden plank that crosses over the cliff right next to the slug nest. The edge on it next to the slug nest is raised, so you don't have to worry about falling off when you attack.

When you see it, you'll kick yourself for not noticing it earlier.

Zzoram

sonicmj1 said:
Last night, I just had the shocking revelation that you can buy shards of Sharpstone and Hardstone from the merchant in 2-1. I kept thinking, "Where the hell am I going to get enough shards to upgrade these weapons with Demon's Souls? I can't grind on 1-2 Hoplites forever." Little did I know the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

Today, if I have time, I'm gonna farm more souls to get Shards of Faintstone and Shards of Moonlightstone for the Moon Winged Spear and Blessed Mirdan Hammer I'm planning.

EDIT:

That also happened to me the first time I went up there. When you attack the slug nest, you need to attack it from this wooden plank that crosses over the cliff right next to the slug nest. The edge on it next to the slug nest is raised, so you don't have to worry about falling off when you attack.

I think you can buy shards of most, if not all, stone types from a merchant somewhere. Its chunks and pure that you'll be farming for days.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Meat Cleaver has got to be like the strongest weapon, no?
I'm not at the strength level yet to use it, but it scales A A to both str and dex and S to Faith... that's crazy

sonicmj1 said:

EDIT:

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Are there any merchants other than the filthy woman in 5-1 that sell royal lotus? I'd rather just go buy some than have to grind them out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dragona Akehi said:
My only recommendation is that you get your STR to 22 as soon as possible. Purple Flame Shield is worth the trouble, regardless of build you're going for. The good news is that you'll not have to raise it after that.

Also, if you plan on using bows you may need to raise your DEX a bit more, but otherwise... should be fine.

Though You can learn two miracles at under 24 faith. I have 20 and I had two miracles before that. I believe it is 19 or 18 where you get the ability to use two miracles.

Well, another place suggested 24 Faith because it gives you three miracle learning/remembering slots. Which is for Evacuate and Second Chance (or whatever the auto-revive spell is called). Unless you're saying level 19/18 is when I get three slots?

I'll take the 22 STR thing to heart and raise it. Dex, I think a common bow would be fine. But if I find the White Bow (is it really a choice between it and the lava/work-my-ass-off bow?) I'll probably raise it so I can use it compentantly.

I'll wade into 2-2 or 3-1 maybe later. 4-1... I want to see how I do before the other two.

sonicmj1

Danexmurder said:
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Are there any merchants other than the filthy woman in 5-1 that sell royal lotus? I'd rather just go buy some than have to grind them out.

I just used the Antidote miracle to handle my poison-curing needs. Curing poison is rarely an urgent need, and Antidote is pretty cheap to use. It just costs a few thousand souls. Well worth the price, IMO.

EDIT

TheSeks said:
Well, another place suggested 24 Faith because it gives you three miracle learning/remembering slots. Which is for Evacuate and Second Chance (or whatever the auto-revive spell is called). Unless you're saying level 19/18 is when I get three slots?

You get two slots at 16 Faith, but Second Chance is a two-slot spell, as are other useful miracles like Anti-Magic Field and God's Wrath.

Three slots is worthwhile if you plan on using miracles heavily.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
John Harker said:
Meat Cleaver has got to be like the strongest weapon, no?
I'm not at the strength level yet to use it, but it scales A A to both str and dex and S to Faith... that's crazy

yup it's this game Bishamon Sword.

and it's for real Demon Slayers , not for weak smurfs

TheSeks

Should I give the Brass Telescope (that I got from the 1-1 NPC before he went AWOL) to the Crow Tree? Apparently it gives you the item that Royals have? Or is there a better use for that item and I can just keep eating Fresh Spices?

Edit: FINALLY! 1-4 on the Crystal Lizards. Shard of Darmoon Stonex3 Not sure if that's worth chasing the bastard down for. :lol

sonicmj1

TheSeks said:
Should I give the Brass Telescope (that I got from the 1-1 NPC before he went AWOL) to the Crow Tree? Apparently it gives you the item that Royals have? Or is there a better use for that item and I can just keep eating Fresh Spices?

Edit: FINALLY! 1-4 on the Crystal Lizards. Shard of Darmoon Stonex3 Not sure if that's worth chasing the bastard down for. :lol

There's no other use for the Brass Telescope, unless you want to look at things from afar. I find a good bow can usually serve the same purpose. Then again, a Crescent weapon can also handle your MP regeneration needs.

If you don't get the Fragrant Ring from the Crow, you won't see one until either 3-2 or 5-2. It's up to you.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheSeks said:

it's useless item from useless knight , trade it with the crazy hawk-girls tree thingy.

the ring will Regenerate MP btw , if you gave her Jade Hair Ornament she will give you the Regenerator's Ring ( for HP )

TheSeks

sonicmj1 said:
There's no other use for the Brass Telescope, unless you want to look at things from afar. I find a good bow can usually serve the same purpose. Then again, a Crescent weapon can also handle your MP regeneration needs.

If you don't get the Fragrant Ring from the Crow, you won't see one until either 3-2 or 5-2. It's up to you.

Well, I picked up the Crescent+1, which is apparently good for my starting class (Magician), but I have the default sword at +5 with Hardstones. I'm not sure which way I should upgrade the Crescent and right now it's only benefit is a higher (well, small, but higher than) damage output to my +5 starting sword and so far (minus multiple enemy encounters) I'm taking down the 4-1 enemies at soul level 20 with magic and the +5 sword, so it isn't a huge deal for me to upgrade to it right now...

I guess I'll go back to the Nexus in a little bit and get the ring. MP regen when I'm sitting around would be nice than having to keep buying Fresh Spices in a pinch.

Zzoram

TheSeks said:
Well, I picked up the Crescent+1, which is apparently good for my starting class (Magician), but I have the default sword at +5 with Hardstones. I'm not sure which way I should upgrade the Crescent and right now it's only benefit is a higher (well, small, but higher than) damage output to my +5 starting sword and so far (minus multiple enemy encounters) I'm taking down the 4-1 enemies at soul level 20 with magic and the +5 sword, so it isn't a huge deal for me to upgrade to it right now...

I guess I'll go back to the Nexus in a little bit and get the ring. MP regen when I'm sitting around would be nice than having to keep buying Fresh Spices in a pinch.

Crescent Falchion +1 regenerates 1MP per 5 seconds or something. Every time you upgrade it, MP regeneration speeds up (1MP / 4sec, 1MP / 3sec, etc.). Damage on a Crescent weapon is also heavily influenced by your Magic stat, which you will be boosting if you want to increase spell damage anyways.

TheSeks

Well, the Crescent is redundant for MP regen (I can get the ring) and damage, right now... I'll see how I feel when I get to some later areas and/or Upgrade stones for it.

I also have the regen ring from the 4-1 area anyway, so the Crow Trees is just redundant.

SON OF A BITCH. That stupid Graverobber NPC dude in 4-1 swindled me 3000 souls with Leather Armor I didn't think the drop would be that much for the sake of mobility, but I'll stick to my 1-1 NPC armor, thank you very much. :|

TheSeks

vitt94 and xFINAL_LETTERx: Fuck off with that invasion bullshit, thank you.

Soul Level 20 and I'm playing online for the messages and yet you want to invade my low level ass for PvP jollies? *disconnect*

Don't like it, then don't fucking invade low level games with your goddamn alt. Thank you.

Meanwhile: w00t. 4-1 is giving me some good souls. :D Time to maybe level up a bit.

AKS

astroturfing said:
i had the strangest PvP moment so far. absolutely bizarre lol.

i invaded in 4-2, and couldnt find the host anywhere, until i went down to where Saint Urbain is... well, the guy/girl (character was female) was there standing beside a dead NPC body laying in a puddle, with items dropped around the body like gifts or something... and the guy was continually bowing in front of the body and items. like a ritual or something lol.

he/she didnt pay any attention to me, just kept bowing to the body, even as i walked right next to him/her. so of course... i dropped a few items as gifts for the deceased NPC fella too, and started bowing. then i got punched by the host for some reason (made me laugh). i removed my weapons and punched the host back. then we continued bowing until i got really, really sick of it and equipped all my weapons back, and started taunting him, acting like i want to fight.

then i just got my ass beat and the other player went back to his/her ritual :(

Hmm, I have encountered some idiots but nothing quite like that. I'm not sure how I would react to that situation.

TheSeks

Wow, the MP regen ring is SLOOOOW. :| Not too sure that was a fair trade anymore... :lol

AKS

CryingWolf said:
omg, Dragon Mirdan Hammer is my new favorite weapon - no joke.

Be careful carrying those hammers around NPCs. Very wide arc that could cause problems if you aren't cautious.

Sin

So I beat the game a few days ago and am now on NG+ trying to get WWT items by following the wikidot guide, specifically the Keel Smasher in World 2.

In the guide it says that I have to kill BP Skirvr and then the Primeval Demon but does it really make a difference which I kill first?

Its a hell of a lot easier to go PD > BP than vice-versa in World 2.

BeeDog

Sin said:
So I beat the game a few days ago and am now on NG+ trying to get WWT items by following the wikidot guide, specifically the Keel Smasher in World 2.

In the guide it says that I have to kill BP Skirvr and then the Primeval Demon but does it really make a difference which I kill first?

Its a hell of a lot easier to go PD > BP than vice-versa in World 2.

Order doesn't matter, the most important thing is to NOT exit to the Nexus inbetween.

Sin

BeeDog said:
Order doesn't matter, the most important thing is to NOT exit to the Nexus inbetween.

Great, thanks!

I just lost 60k souls trying to go from Scirvir location to PD to test out the path, glad I don't have to do it again.

I never understood how to trade with the crow.. It would talk to me and tell me it wants shiny things in that creepy, little girl voice...

But I would put the items on the ground and nothing would happen.. I could never figure out how to make it work. There's nothing to active...

patsu

You need to come back later to see what she left for you.

EDIT: Anyone tried Banish to send invading Black Phantoms back to their world ?

Kevtones

Okay so I beat the 3-1 boss and nothing is happening? I leave through the fog I entered, find nothing, re-enter the fog and I have to fight the boss again? I beat her AGAIN - what am I supposed to do?

Kureishima said:
I never understood how to trade with the crow.. It would talk to me and tell me it wants shiny things in that creepy, little girl voice...

But I would put the items on the ground and nothing would happen.. I could never figure out how to make it work. There's nothing to active...

Leave the item on the ground, then immediately hit Start > System > Load... load your saved game and you'll reappear in the same spot, and the new item will be on the ground for you.

Sin

I Push Fat Kids said:
Okay so I beat the 3-1 boss and nothing is happening? I leave through the fog I entered, find nothing, re-enter the fog and I have to fight the boss again? I beat her AGAIN - what am I supposed to do?

There is a minion which is reviving her, you need to kill it before fighting Fool's Idol to beat it successfully, go up the right spiral staircase and straight to the balcony looking down on the chapel where the boss is, there you will find the minion and a set of keys to free Sage Freke.

I Push Fat Kids said:

edit: nevermind, beaten and corrected

Kevtones

Sin said:
There is a minion which is reviving her, you need to kill it before fighting Fool's Idol to beat it successfully, go up the right spiral staircase and straight to the balcony looking down on the chapel where the boss is, there you will find the minion and a set of keys to free Sage Freke.

Dammit! I went there already and assumed that I wasn't supposed to harm him. ARGH.

Oh well, thanks!

patsu said:
You need to come back later to see what she left for you.

EDIT: Anyone tried Banish to send invading Black Phantoms back to their world ?

Ah.. I never thought to leave the item.. what, I have to go to the NExus and come back or..?

astroturfing said:
i had the strangest PvP moment so far. absolutely bizarre lol.

i invaded in 4-2, and couldnt find the host anywhere, until i went down to where Saint Urbain is... well, the guy/girl (character was female) was there standing beside a dead NPC body laying in a puddle, with items dropped around the body like gifts or something... and the guy was continually bowing in front of the body and items. like a ritual or something lol.

he/she didnt pay any attention to me, just kept bowing to the body, even as i walked right next to him/her. so of course... i dropped a few items as gifts for the deceased NPC fella too, and started bowing. then i got punched by the host for some reason (made me laugh). i removed my weapons and punched the host back. then we continued bowing until i got really, really sick of it and equipped all my weapons back, and started taunting him, acting like i want to fight.

then i just got my ass beat and the other player went back to his/her ritual :(

That's totally awesome.. maybe the guy started doing this after you invaded cause he thought it would be funny?

Here's my amusing PVP story from yesterday:

So I invade some guy as usual in 1-3. Very quickly I get a message from him saying "Please leave". I asked why, and he said because he's just trying to get through the game, and doesnt want to lose souls.
I'm not trying to grief anyone, just trying to have some fun PVP sessions, so I ask him if he wants help to clear the level. He says yeah. So I'm killing everything in his path, all the while thinking how much this would ruin the game for me if someone did this for me. Anyway I get to the final 3 enemies of the level, and then I'm like "man, I gotta let him do *something* for himself". So I stand back to let him fight these guys. He lures one out with a bow, and then is immediately killed.. :lol

Anyway, a little while later, I invade some other guy in 1-3. I can't seem to find him at first, so then I figure he's in the area where you
rescue Yuria
. I find him there with his character tucked right up against two walls in a passage, facing the corner. He doesn't move at all as I approach, so I figure the poor guy is taking a leak or something. So for the lulz, I put my own character directly behind his, also facing the corner, and don't move. I'm imagining the guy's reaction when he comes back from his leak and sees a black phantom right behind him. So eventually the guy comes back, his character turns around, and he actually bows. Then I whack him once with my Hammer so he knows that playtime is over, and then I run to the main area of the level. To my surprise the guy comes with me, and then beckons me to follow him. I'm like.. huh? so I start following him to where there are some enemies, and he's not paying attention to me at all. I'm like, wtf, do you absolutely want to die? After a bit of this I get impatient and backstab him with a Dragon Bone Smasher for a 1 hit kill.

A little while later I get a message from the first guy, who I had helped, saying "you ass". I'm like, wtf, I helped you, and then you died to an enemy, that's not my fault. And then he's like, no you just backstabbed me with a Dragon Bone Smasher! They were the same guy, and I had no idea! So that's why he thought I was still friendly in the second game..

patsu

Kureishima said:
Ah.. I never thought to leave the item.. what, I have to go to the NExus and come back or..?

Reload the game at the same spot using the right most menu.

EDIT: Ha ha at the PvP encounters.

AKS

Any recommendations for rangey melee weapons of the Blessed variety? I have a fully upgraded Blessed Mirdan Hammer. I guess I also have the Istarelle, which gets a decent Faith bonus if I spend the colorless souls to upgrade it.

I'm not sure if I want to upgrade another 2-handed weapon like a Halberd or a big sword like a Claymore or Great Sword.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments about Faith-boosted weapons in PVP? I need to make some decisions on what to upgrade in the next cycles, and colorless souls are too rare to waste. I'm going to fully upgrade the Large Sword of Moonlight for sure just because of how useful it is in owning enemies that try to turtle up, but I'm not sure how good the Istarelle is (or if it's that good in the first place).

BarrenMind said:
Leave the item on the ground, then immediately hit Start > System > Load... load your saved game and you'll reappear in the same spot, and the new item will be on the ground for you.

Ah.. interesting method.

TheSeks

Should I do the 4-1 boss at Soul Level 21? The enemies around here started to get hard, but not too bad...

Gorgon

John Harker said:
At any rate, DS is the most succesfull "growth" franchise for From right now, and hell, King's Field got 4 entries and 2 spinoffs and sold much less, so it isn't a matter of if but when for sequels.

Well said, my friend. Let's hope we hear some news about a DS2 sometime next year with a projected 2011 release.

Umbasa!

Sin

Ugh, so I just wasted 7 Ephermerl Eyes trying to shift my World Tendency to Black in World 2. Suicided 7 times in physical form as suggested and the world tendency didn't budge from neutral.

I tried to load the game and also quit and loaded but nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong? :/

Sin said:
Ugh, so I just wasted 7 Ephermerl Eyes trying to shift my World Tendency to Black in World 2. Suicided 7 times in physical form as suggested and the world tendency didn't budge from neutral.

Are you leaving to the Nexus each time?

ukiraros

Sin said:
No, of course not.

Suicide in physical form, use stone, suicide, repeat.

I thought you had to get killed by an enemy in order for the tendency to shift to black not suicide. That's what I did.

UFRA

Sin said:
No, of course not.

Suicide in physical form, use stone, suicide, repeat.

BING!

That's what you're doing wrong....

You have to go back to the nexus after each death, otherwise the tendency change doesn't register.

Here's what I did:

1.Resurrect to body form in Nexus.
2.Go to world you wish to change tendency.
3.Suicide.
4.Return to Nexus.
Go back to step 1 and repeat.

sonicmj1

Sin said:

Firstly, the world tendency change won't register until you return to the Nexus. So it may register once you go back to the hub. Check then.

If not, it might be because you're online. Often, the tendency you set will be overridden by whatever online tendency trends there are.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So, I tried 5-2 for the first time and I just have one question....

Why?

I'm a moran, though, I have a habit of holding O all the time and I didn't understand why my character kept staggering in the swamp. Turns out, he was doing it because I was holding sprint the entire time. Whoops. Anyways, I also started 3-2 and that level is creepy as hell, I'm a pretty tough dude but something about the Tower of Latria gives me the willies.

patsu

No. You staggered because O is roll.

You should hold down O and press the analog stick to sprint. You can barely outrun the giant enemies there this way.

Also, you can use the Adjucator shield and the regen ring together to negate the posion effect. Gives you more time to explore the level or fight the enemies.

You probably need a bow in 5-2. You can spot their breath in the darkness when you zoom in. Aim for their breath.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been using my poison resistance ring, which helps, plus I have a shitload of lotuses that I never used up until this point, about 30 of them. It was the first time I used that brass telescope, it helped for spotting out the next land area. I'll bring my adjunticator shield next time. One thing that'll help, that never occurred to me, is to use heavy armor since I won't have many opportunities to use evasion anyways. I think I can beat it, eventually, hopefully it isn't too long.

TheSeks

Ugh. Screw 4-1's boss for rigth now. Bastard keeps two lick-ing me to death before I can get into the safe zone. *sigh*

I guess I'll try for 2-2 or 3-1 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom