• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox 360 Gameplay (woah, Nixxes)

Harlequin

I don't see how Ryse could be down ported to Xbox 360 even with vastly reduced asset quality. Crytek apparently had to optimize it very well to fit within 5gb.

I think Xan Kriegor was talking about the gameplay, not the graphics. As far as I'm aware Ryse doesn't do anything that couldn't have been done on last-gen hardware except for its (admittedly rather impressive) visuals.

I think Xan Kriegor was talking about the gameplay, not the graphics. As far as I'm aware Ryse doesn't do anything that couldn't have been done on last-gen hardware except for its (admittedly rather impressive) visuals.

That could be said of quite a lot of games. Just toss out all the secondary physicalization, complex animation, and expensive shading/draw distance and manyy current gen games could run on the old machines.

Yoday

Can you help me name a few current gen only games that would be impossible on old gen? I'm genuinely interested.
AC Unity and AC Syndicate. I have an extremely hard time believing those games could be made to run on the last gen systems, the scale is simply too big. It would be like trying to make GTA5 work on the original Xbox.

Harlequin

That could be said of quite a lot of games. Just toss out all the secondary physicalization, complex animation, and expensive shading/draw distance and manyy current gen games could run on the old machines.

Yes, that's the point they were trying to make. The only reason I singled out Ryse was because Kezen used it as an example.

Kezen

Banned

Maybe, but the fact remains that there are games which could not be downscaled to the old consoles because of the visual bar they set.

Ahasverus

This game looks super incredible. Gamefaqs impressions have been very good too,like, the game is superior to TR1 in every way. Color me hyped.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, no. I may not be an expert on the subject but that's not how engines work.
How what works?
ROTTR on 360 is basically running on an updated version of 2013's Tomb Raider.
ROTTR on X1 is just running on Tomb Raiders Remastered engine that they did for DE, same engine just a different version of it.
As for That's not how things work, I didn't mean the currentgen version was downgraded for 360, but
Yes they do, Beyond Two Soul's was made as a PS4 engine and then transferred to PS3.
It gave them better results l.

Bgamer90

Banned
They did a good job.

Really wondering how much this will sell though. This looks to be the last major title coming to the Xbox 360 (outside of sports games and maybe another Call of Duty) so it's not like it doing well will cause more cross gen games to release in 2016.

We can't know for sure that the game was made with 360 in mind and that it should be able to run on it smoothly, but it does look like it. And i wouldn't be surprised,certain parts really look last gen to me, like the snowy hub area. I definitely believe if they had went full current gen with this, it would have looked even better.

I am just glad as hell that other exclusives like QB, Crackdown and Gears are at least only for Xbox One. This whole cross gen shit should stop now anyway.

Oneself

Nixxes made the best console versions of both TR2013 and TR Definitive (that one by quite a large margin)... So that was kind of expected.

Nameless

Is the 360 version content complete? If so, sold. I always get super nostalgic for Tomb Raider during the holidays.

Nixxes made the best console versions of both TR2013 and TR Definitive (that one by quite a large margin)... So that was kind of expected.

DE on PS4 is absolutely gorgeous. With luck Nixxes will be working on the Rise port too.

JayB1920

Nixxes is amazing. There is also a 300mb day one patch (according to a player on TR forums) that improves the visuals even further compared to the leaked videos. Sorry about the black crush in the screens but these give an idea.

HwJRnUW.jpg
(missing sun effect)
swoVmNs.jpg

BvqZWpj.jpg
(missing plants)
h2X9TYX.jpg

JBhQ0eh.jpg
(missing plant shadows)
vK4c29n.jpg

OlLfsac.jpg
(missing wet efect and shadows)
Gj9bpNk.jpg

SwolBro

Banned
this worries me a bit. if they're still putting this much effort into porting games to an old console (which i'm sure a lot of people are happy that still haven't jumped to current gen)

how long are we going to be in this generation for? i feel like this gen is so underpowered, i really do not want to be in it for more than 7 years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nixxes is amazing. There is also a 300mb day one patch (according to a player on TR forums) that improves the visuals even further compared to the leaked videos. Sorry about the black crush in the screens but these give an idea.

HwJRnUW.jpg
(missing sun effect)
swoVmNs.jpg

BvqZWpj.jpg
(missing plants)
h2X9TYX.jpg

JBhQ0eh.jpg
(missing plant shadows)
vK4c29n.jpg

OlLfsac.jpg
(missing wet efect and shadows)
Gj9bpNk.jpg

Are these before/after the patch ? or 360 vs XB1 ?

because if they're before and after the day 1 patch, that's a pretty notable update. Damn Nixxess. This seems like a fantastic port.

AlStrong

Curious... Wonder if they fixed the colour banding with the glow stick.

this worries me a bit. if they're still putting this much effort into porting games to an old console (which i'm sure a lot of people are happy that still haven't jumped to current gen)

how long are we going to be in this generation for? i feel like this gen is so underpowered, i really do not want to be in it for more than 7 years.

Yeah, I want this to be over too. Good thing most upcoming X1 exclusives are exactly that, not also coming for 360. Actually are there any coming?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
AC Unity and AC Syndicate. I have an extremely hard time believing those games could be made to run on the last gen systems, the scale is simply too big. It would be like trying to make GTA5 work on the original Xbox.
This. They would have to completely change the layout of the 1:1 buildings. Use different crowd tech, have way less animations, etc.

Imagine the 360 or ps3 trying to render this scene.
5zJjNha.gif

^ And that's only half the full crowd. Which you immediately drop then into and explore.

Speaking of, they did a great job with this port. Best looking 360 game?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Speaking of, they did a great job with this port. Best looking 360 game?

Probably still Halo 4 or Forza Horizon, but this is definitely a great send-off. One last show of the console's capabilities. Thank god BLOPS III is not it.

FLAguy954

It had to, otherwise there would be no 360 skus.
The game still looks good on Xbox One, but I wish they would have left the old hardware behind.

Hopefully the PC version is fully modern (64 bits, quad core CPU and DX11 as the base) and they don't waste time making it scale as low as the 360.

This is all I ask (I trust Nixxes to deliver as they have done a phenomenal job on TR 2013 PC).

Maybe it's just me, but it's just fucked up that the Xbox One is still coping with AA issues when the freaking last gen version looks this good. Not to mention non full HD cutscenes. But again, we haven't seen both games on a big screen yet. At the end of the day the resolution differences should be really noticeable.

Uh, let's not get crazy here. A comparison has already been made. The 360 looks great for what it is, but the XB1 version looks way better.
That comparison was apparently pre patch. A lot of the missing effects in the comparison appear to have been added. I imagine the XB1 will still look noticeably better, though. Hope my copy arrives soon!

Beat the game in 10 hours.

Overall, it's great but I still prefer the last one.

Pros:
- Solid graphics, same great gameplay
- So. Many. Collectibles. Holy shit.
- A lot of good puzzles, challenge tombs

Cons:
- Not a ton of variety in environments
- Frame-rate drops in combat
- Game is way too easy even on hard

Beat the game in 10 hours. Overall, it's great but I still prefer the last one.

How is the story in comparison?

I mean, I know the story in TR1 wasn't exactly groundbreaking, but I thought that it was really well told, and easy to get emotionally invested in while playing.

Edit: Also, how easy is it to ignore the collectibles? Does the game make a big deal about them?

Pros:

Cons:

How's that part of pros?

I mean, I know the story in TR1 wasn't exactly groundbreaking, but I thought that it was really well told, and easy to get emotionally invested in while playing.

Edit: Also, how easy is it to ignore the collectibles? Does the game make a big deal about them?
Very easy. You can go through the game without bothering with them if you want, but a bunch you'll just stumble upon and they give you XP and can occasionally make you understand languages more.

kodecraft

Y'all act like the 360/PS3 era had hideous graphics or something.

Great job Nixxes but this game looks like more TR 2013 but with way more scale with tweaks to the gameplay...not graphics.

This is a day one for me but we got to five more credit to the 10 year hardware that is 360, why you think it lasted as long as it did.

kodecraft

Hopefully the PC version is fully modern (64 bits, quad core CPU and DX11 as the base) and they don't waste time making it scale as low as the 360.

I doubt that. I expect a great PC port that will scale as low as the 360. This won't be from the ground up.

Similiar to TR1, its okay.
Easy to ignore.

Arklite

Pros:

Cons:

Genuinely impressed they've apparently followed through with puzzles.

So on environment variety, is TR '13 more varied by comparison? The larger areas don't make an impact in the new game?

JonnyKong

Only 10 hours completion time? That seems a lot shorter than I expected. I thought the inclusion of much bigger tombs would have expanded the length by a fair bit.

I'm assuming your ten hour completion rate didn't involve you completing it 100%?

kodecraft

Gameplay? Aren't essentially just using the same controllers from last gen anyway? Gameplay isn't taxing, ask Nintendo. This is about graphics and scale.

Tomb Raider collectibles are awesome. Every object has a back story, or a bit of archaeological knowledge. And plus, the collectables tie into the experience system, so they have a point.

The only thing that matters is if they are fun to collect, if level design allows for fun creative exploration that makes collect/get things fun at all.

That wasn't the case with TR2013, and the fact they decided to deseminate just a ton of stuff instead of making each collectible worth, tells me that they kept that nuissance in the sequel.

Top Bottom