• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with PS4's PlayStation 2 emulation

LewieP

These specific games, yes. PS2 classics/emulation, not really.

OK. DF didn't spoil anything, they just reported on games that were released on PSN. If Sony didn't want anyone to know about these perhaps they shouldn't have released them on PSN.

rjc571

Banned
That's cool that Sony FINALLY implemented high resolution rendering in their emulation software rather than letting titles render at their original low resolution. The improved framerate is a welcome bonus as well. Did they accomplish it by emulating the PS2 at higher clock speeds? If that's the case it'll only work for games which have drop below their target framerate, but not for games with artificial fps locks.

KalBalboa

Banned
I haven't read every post in this thread, but has anyone mentioned the possibilities with SharePlay?

Imagine a world in which every splitscreen PS1/PS2 game can now be played... online.

Twisted Metal 2, SSX Tricky, Crash Team Racing... and with trophies.

Timesplitters.

Well it would be a bit of a blow to Microsoft if PS4 can perform better at emulation too.

Hopefully Sony decided to go with this and release some classic PS2 games and let us unlock the downloads if we still have the disc.

dogen

That's cool that Sony FINALLY implemented high resolution rendering in their emulation software rather than letting titles render at their original low resolution. The improved framerate is a welcome bonus as well. Did they accomplish it by emulating the PS2 at higher clock speeds? If that's the case it'll only work for games which have drop below their target framerate, but not for games with artificial fps locks.

Those games didn't run at a locked framerate, so they only run at 60fps because the emulator is fast enough.

OmegaFax

I haven't read every post in this thread, but has anyone mentioned the possibilities with SharePlay?

Imagine a world in which every splitscreen PS1/PS2 game can now be played... online.

Twisted Metal 2, SSX Tricky, Crash Team Racing... and with trophies.

I've been meaning to try this with someone. Agreed, being able to stream/play co-op with someone over the internet seems like a big deal and an interesting way to enable netplay on older games. Kind of see this as a marked advantage over a PC emulator. I just don't know if the PS2 games are blocked. Jedi Starfighter has splitscreen co-op missions & Racer Revenge has splitscreen VS. ...

So what are the chance for remote play features for this? Has anyone tried playing the star wars games with remote play?

Interesting question. FWIW, you can stream the games.

Edit: How does the emulation work without any fw update? @dark

Remote Play works. Tried it with Jedi Starfighter before I went to bed last night. It was a little awkward because R2/L2 and R3/L3 are mapped to the touch screen. However, the game is fully playable. Doesn't seem like Sony compromised the PS4's native features in order to get this working.

One thing to note is that there's no way to bring up the Share menu in Remote Play on Vita. The Start/Select buttons are mapped according to how they'd work on the PS2.

Edit:

g9OpSoKm.jpg

X1dEgvmm.jpg

LordofPwn

My (along with many other's) theory was correct. I wonder if trophies are attached to the actual files or if its a server side operation.

Just hope they go into more detail at PSX. Would love to be able to put DQVIII, Burnout 3, and some other discs (timesplitters) into my ps4 and get trophies.

KalBalboa

Banned
I really doubt they would have a ton of games available on day one.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They'd have a limited library at first (I'm saying 10-20 games) and add more every month or so in 2-4 game doses.

Wait, question- has anyone tried SharePlay with the Star Wars PS2 games on PS4?

Alienfan

Man those pictures look good - but damn, all I can think about now is a better looking and running Silent Hill 2 (probably running better than the HD collection version lol). Make it happen Sony!!!!!!!

jony_m

Yes! Hope this paves the way for enabling PS2 Digital libraries at least.

Eager to see SMT games especially Nocturne, with this up-res treatment.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Would be nice if they supported discs. Otherwise this is not really that great. Don't want to re-buy my entire library. Hopefully the ones I've bought on PS3 come over

YO WAT

hopefully they add disc support. at least do it Xbox One style where having the disc in the system downloads the digital version. if it's digital only then i won't be excited at all, not gonna rebuy all of my PS2 games.

Talax

Remote Play works. Tried it with Jedi Starfighter before I went to bed last night. It was a little awkward because R2/L2 and R3/L3 are mapped to the touch screen. However, the game is fully playable. Doesn't seem like Sony compromised the PS4's native features in order to get this working.

One thing to note is that there's no way to bring up the Share menu in Remote Play on Vita. The Start/Select buttons are mapped according to how they'd work on the PS2.

You sir are a god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps2 games on vita here I come!

KalBalboa

Banned
I Googled my question on whether or not this emulator works via SharePlay. I put in "star wars ps2 on ps4 shareplay" and the fourth result was my very post, heh.

I hope someone can clarify whether or not this works soon. I'd honestly buy one of the games on my PS4 if I had the option just to test it.

I don't get the "what" posts lol. We've known this for months.

we had no idea how the star wars games were going to be handled, it could have been a one time deal just for the Battlefront bundle. Sony didn't mention emulation at the press conference. the games could have been remastered with old assets but now it looks like real emulation software is at work with the button remapping, memory card solution and the odd way it handles resolution.

iosefe

Is it being rendered in 1080p or original resolution?
Holy shit, the games are even rendered in 1080p and possibly 60fps?
here's the idea
Original PlayStation 2 titles ran at a range of pixel counts, but 512x448 and 640x448 were commonplace (God of War 2 even let you choose between the two). It's still early days in our analysis, but first impressions suggest that the emulator resolves a native resolution of 1292x896. Two black lines are added top and bottom to the image, before receiving a final upscale up to full 1080p. In effect, we're looking at around 4x the pixel count - possibly higher, depending on the title.
not 1080p rendered, but upscaled from that res to output at 1080

ironcreed

Banned
I would rather have PS3 emulation, but I guess this is better than nothing. I doubt I'll be going back to many PS2 games these days, though.

Armadilo

Banned
So what does this mean, really?

So they talk about those starwars games included in the bundle, so using PS Now or what?

disc recognition and the ability to bring over PSN PS2claasics is going to make or break this feature. PSnow died a quiet death because of horrible pricing and no disc support.

Arzehn

Imagine getting all those trophies for your PSone and PS2 games.

Trophies for Legend of Mana
Trophies for Xenogears
Trophies for Suikoden II
Trophies for Mega Man Legends
Trophies for God Hand
Trophies for Shin Megami Tensei III
Trophies for Persona 3 FES

My life might be over.

Top Bottom