• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink Delayed Until Fall 2010, First Ingame Footage

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come you never see any of the NPCs using parkour?

EDIT:

Game looks good, looks like a lot of elements have been taken from KZ2. They just need to tone down the motion blur and get the death animation system from KZ2 :D

RefigeKru

Banned
What elements were taken from KZ2?

That looks sooooooo good. The fluidity of movement at the start of the 3rd video is ridiculous. Looks like it can be a load of fun, especially with friends and the graphics are on the same level as KZ2 I'd say. Only thing that bothers me is the positioning and movement of the guns, it reminds me of Mirror's Edge too much and I hated it then.

Brink really looks like the colorful killzone 2. I love Killzone 2 and I really wanted FPS games to be more like it in terms of post-processing elements.

Violater said:
Lack of gifs in this thread is disgusting.
Pictures... something, I'm at work people.
I know I'm REALLY late, but here are the gifs!!

ziro8g.gif

5cy42b.gif

118g4qs.gif

rjmln5.gif

2m4po5s.gif

more gifs incoming.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Rahk said:
The games 'coming from Bethesda' that you are thinking of are probably WET and Rogue Warrior, which were neither developed by Bethesda. I guess they just made some bad publishing deals. A couple mistakes shouldn't be enough to start disliking them.

No, the games I'm thinking of are Oblivion and Fallout.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
game looks stunning, love the gameplay additions (picking class and objectives on the fly) and the movement system, but something just looked "off" in those gameplay vids. the combat looked extremely dull and lacking. in a way it reminds me of the enemies in GoW where they take bullets until they die, but its not believable that the bullets are doing actual damage. they are bullet sponges. i guess its an ai thing, as the combat just looked flat to me.

i'll certainly keep an eye on it and cant wait to get some hands on

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Violater said:
Ok I cant be the only person whose mind this crossed

2hgdyj5.jpg
:lol

sorry im not that good with shop

Yep thought the same the first time I saw the characters.

Sipowicz

Banned
my god this game looks amazing.

gameplay looks like a fantastic evolution of the objectives system from quake wars. the parkour element genuinely seems to add a new dimension to gameplay and the seperate class/weapon options seem cool as fuck

beautiful graphics,a unique setting and cool as fuck multiplayer. this is my kind of game

2czoihj.gif

15of5zs.gif

1118rix.gif

4vrbph.gif

a4u33m.gif

failed to upload another gif. probably because of the size limit on most of the photo host sites. anyway, I hope you enjoy the gifs I did.

adelante

Awesome GIFs warrior...

I posted this at SD's forum, thought I'd share my opinion with you guys:

AAlrighty....first off, hats off to the guys at SD for creating a game of such visual appeal...Its damn refreshing to see it looking both gritty and vibrant at the same time, without inheriting too much of the visual monotony that you'd usually associate with a game that has an apocalyptic setting...

However, there is something that's bothering me a little, and that's those darn radial menus. I know the game's built on ID Tech 4 and one of the things I love about the engine is the ability to make seemless in-game GUIs. To me, the floating radial menus in Brink stands out like a sore thumb when you can have them on those nice hi-res terminal displays in the game's world that can easily be made interactive (one of the gameplay videos released even shows a bomb-planting animation that takes advantage of this particular feature). How bout having the player bring up portable interactive display in situations where an access to a terminal is not needed? It makes even more sense since the game almost has that HUD-less approach going..Radial or not, I don't care as long as they're implemented seemlessly like Doom3's interactive display panels and pdas

I know I'm probably on a lone crusade here for more seemless GUIs but it doesn't hurt to at least voice it out I suppose =P

Looking forward to the game next fall....

TheFallen

I noticed a lot of characters running around having a X button prompt, what does it say? What's it for? Anyone able to make it out? Very distracting.

untoldhero said:
I didn't see anyone jumping around, but there was a guy sliding at one point in the video. He gets raped by the player's team though.

Violater said:
I can only assume you have played both.
Of course I haven't. I've played the hell out of KZ2 and loved it till I soured on the multi-player. It set the graphics benchmark in console fps. Still, I'm basically shocked that a year from now we could be having a legit discussion about another game possibly looking better. Did you watch the clip I linked? Were you not blown away by the lighting on that crane? It's the same lighting tech KZ2 uses, and it looks like Brink's artists are pushing it harder. It's amazing.

I think whereas Brink definitely matches the lighting and environments of Killzone 2 (it should since the K2 level designer is in charge :lol ) it doesn't match all the rest of the awesome shit from K2 such as animations, volumetric smoke, post-processing and all that other amazing stuff. So it looks close, but not quite. What will work to it's advantage is its more colourful palette however, which will make it "shine" more if that makes any sense. I'd certainly like them to tone down the pistol waving/bob a fair bit as it looks ridiculous like your guy's wrist is dislocated as you move.

And I should certainly hope we would be seeing more FPS games looking to the calibur of K2 in the last quarter of 2010, essentially 2 years after K2 was wrapped up and ready! Hopefully they'll start promoting their game a lot more now they have in-game footage, since if this had come out earlier 2010 would many people have even known about it at all? Has a fighting chance in Fall as long as it gets real good word of mouth behind it (public beta?) against the Treyarch Call of Duty stand-in (blegh) and Halo Reach (not convinced its going to be much beyond Halo 3 at all).

cakefoo

It has killzone 2's subtle multicolored lighting and trashy level design, but that's about it. It doesn't quite have as good-looking weapon firing animations and camera bob, or enemy death animations, nor have we seen any good looking explosions or physics or any of the other major visual effects that round out Killzone 2.

Enojado

Looks promising. Like others, I got a bit of a KZ2 vibe from the level layout and lighting. Still plenty of time to fix some of the issues others have pointed out, too.

Question on the lighting, do the devs use deferred rendering?

untoldhero said:

EDIT:

Game looks good, looks like a lot of elements have been taken from KZ2. They just need to tone down the motion blur and get the death animation system from KZ2 :D
I was thinking something similar to that when I was playing Sands Of Time years ago..

BeeDog

Game looks amazing, graphically speaking, but I honestly am not convinced the console versions will look like this; any evidence in the videos saying that this is NOT just the PC version with a 360 controller plugged in (a la Batman: AA)?

(didn't have my sound on, so if there was any commentary, I didn't hear it)

BeeDog said:
Game looks amazing, graphically speaking, but I honestly am not convinced the console versions will look like this; any evidence in the videos saying that this is NOT just the PC version with a 360 controller plugged in (a la Batman: AA)?

How about the fact that it couldn't even hold 30fps. Seemed like a pretty good indicator to me.

adelante

BeeDog said:

From the SD forums:

Rahdo said:
Yeah, that's footage from the PC, played with a 360 controller (exactly like E3, PAX, etc.) It's literally the exact same demo, running on the same PC.

I should add we've got the same levels running right now on console, looking just as good...

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showpost.php?p=202837&postcount=468

bdouble

adelante said:
Awesome GIFs warrior...

The UI is easily changed and probably just place holder at the moment. This is just a little less than a year out now. Remember GAF ripping apart CoDMW2 for its 17 different fonts in the hud?

adelante said:
Awesome GIFs warrior...

I like the suggestion, I was a big fan of the seamless interactions with computers, etc. in Doom 3.

deleted

I don´t really get the game after watching the videos...
It makes the impression of an Enemy Territory game with story and XP. How will it work when everybody on the Map is controlled by humans? Will there still be story bits? Will it play like Left 4 Dead in the way that there are a few campaigns you can play through with different chapters and such? But what if the enemy team wins? Will they just win, or will their victory and our loss have impact on the overall story (that would be great!)?
Or will the game have a multiplayer mode just like enemy territory games? Imagine the same scenes from the video with solely human players... It would be total chaos with everyone jumping and sliding around and following their own objectives. It didn´t seem like there were other human players in this demonstration despite him saying so. Everyone had a bot-like feel...

It looks good and the gameplay is interesting (still afraid they can´t nail the "press button to get everywhere" gameplay), but the overall concept seems a bit strange at fist sight.

Nizz

adelante said:
Thanks. Man, I was kinda shocked watching the footage and thinking how crazy the game looks on 360. And it ends up being the PC version with a 360 controller.

I'm cautiously optimistic now for the console versions. Hope they end up looking as good. This is on idTech 4 and I don't think that tech has been that great on PS3.

I still hope it ends up great because some of the ideas in this game look pretty cool.

op_ivy said:
game looks stunning, love the gameplay additions (picking class and objectives on the fly) and the movement system, but something just looked "off" in those gameplay vids. the combat looked extremely dull and lacking. in a way it reminds me of the enemies in GoW where they take bullets until they die, but its not believable that the bullets are doing actual damage. they are bullet sponges. i guess its an ai thing, as the combat just looked flat to me.

i'll certainly keep an eye on it and cant wait to get some hands on

I agree. Something just looks... off. Oh well. Plenty of time for polish, and it looks like the game has a disgusting amount of potential in terms of great multiplayer

scoobs

graphics are great, definitely reminiscent of Killzone 2. Something about the design i just don't like. Something about this game tells me not to believe... I just can't put my finger on it.

Dyno

I tried to play ETQW (on the PS3) and it was mostly garbage all-around. It was pretty ugly and the on-line issues were legion. Let's hope Splash Damage can redeem themselves. Looking good so far.

Hatchman

Dyno said:
I tried to play ETQW (on the PS3) and it was mostly garbage all-around. It was pretty ugly and the on-line issues were legion. Let's hope Splash Damage can redeem themselves. Looking good so far.

Console versions were developed by someone else. SD did the PC version.

Dyno said:
As stated above the ports weren't done by Splash Damage.

In addition to that you also need to take into account that both of the console ports are vastly inferior to the PC version. Besides the obvious graphical downgrade there were several features (playercount, movement options, leveling system etc.) that got cut for the consoles. Add to that the fact that the PS3 got the short end of the stick for overall performance in comparison to the 360 version and you got one hell of a shitty port.

The PC version is actually really good, but it was a PC game through and through. Trying to downport it was a bad idea from the start.

Brink on the other hand is, for better or worse, a game designed for both consoles and PC, with each version handled and developed by Splash Damage.

/ETQW defense force

Spl1nter

Danne-Danger said:
/ETQW defense force

lol I remember all the craziness happening when bf2142 and etqw where supposed to come out at the same time. etqw definitely did not achieve the level of hype some people had for that game, probably because it got delayed quite a few times till it came out after 2142.

Nevertheless ETQW was a pc game that got ported to consoles. Brink looks interesting.

peakish

gstaff said:
New Character Customization video is making the rounds...
Great that they're finally releasing the material they showed at Quakecon in August :p

It looks great, but I'm not fond of the way they've been hyping the game so far.

gstaff

peakish said:
Great that they're finally releasing the material they showed at Quakecon in August :p

It looks great, but I'm not fond of the way they've been hyping the game so far.

That actually has a couple new looks not shown at QuakeCon :)

I_D

It's hard to tell if the climb/slide/etc. button is a gimmick or a legitimate feature. Gonna have to wait for more videos to decide. At the moment it looks kinda like a bargain bin game, but if the climbing mechanic is actually well-done, it'll definitely jump up my list of games to buy.

As far as the look, I'm not too sure how I feel about the toon-ish characters. It reminds me of Borderlands, which had comedy to go along with it, which made it worthwhile. If this game does something along those lines, I'll be satisfied.

Side note: It's kinda disappointing that a shotgun shot from 2 feet away only causes an enemy to fall to the ground (with a poor animation to go along with it).

Unfortunately, the levels look just like Killzone 2's levels, which means the graphical differences are going to stand out like a sore thumb. It looks absolutely fantastic considering it's multiplatform, though (and running on the Doom friggin 3 engine!).

mclaren777 said:
New screenshots of what's surely going to be the surprise hit of 2010...
Great looking style, as usual. Hope that the framerate is smooth and consistent by release, as everything else I've seen so far looks extremely promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom