• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what a time to be alive
This is literally the time to be alive - to the point where whenever something bad happens to me, I think of this game as a reality. Suddenly, happiness.

entremet

This is why I don't envy square.

No matter what there will be a ton of butthurt people over any choice they make with this game.

good luck

Even those disappointed will buy this game, so SE made the right call.

They'll get the nostalgic fans and newcomers since it's action based.

Asd202

oMBb.gif

Yeah I noticed that.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, a product with no voice acting, PS4 textures and environments, and the additions this remake will surely have. That's totally what me and a bunch of other people have been asking for for a decade.

Well clearly you're being unreasonable if you want it to be explicitly turn-based and can't accept a deviation in game play. And as someone who vastly prefers turn-based as well, I see no problem with the footage shown. It seems that you only wanted a makeover and not a remake.

Quite frankly, to play Final Fantasy VII again with only improved graphics and voice acting would be fucking boring. So once again I say, if you aren't going to appreciate the middle ground approach they are taking with this game to remain faithful to the original's universe while also keeping it fresh and updating its combat, then you're going to have to continue playing the old game.

"who wants a remake to be the same gameplay?! play the original!"

most acclaimed, successful remakes:

Resident Evil

Metroid: Zero Mission

Final Fantasy 4 DS

Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, 7

*none of which dramatically changed the gameplay *

Have there been any remakes which dramatically changed the gameplay to this degree? Reboots, sure, but remakes, with the same story/characters etc?

lol @ asshurt purists
And im not even talking about this thread or neogaf
I was just on some FF7 forums and it was waaaayyyy worse than here.
"The game lost it's soul."
"Dumbed down for new audiences"
"Looks like Cloud is whiny again"
"Barret looks like Mr. T" (lol)

hahahahahahahahahahahahah

"While the game will be more action oriented, it will retain the strategic elements of planning your attacks, magic, abilities. We want to make the two complimentary."
"Our goal from the beginning, our starting point, was to have graphics (specifically mentioning characters) similar to the movie Advent Children in real time, which was only possible on PS4."

There was FF7R segment on the live stream and Kitase talked about the remake and what their goal was for the game. Those quotes aren't word for word but that's the general idea. The way he put it it sounds like they're still trying to retain the feel of ATB while keeping the flow more in line with real-time action. That said, he also mentioned switching weapons as a point of keeping strategy in the game so who knows.

Prompto

Banned
I was gonna say Barret looks ridiculous with sunglasses on but then I remembered he's a man with a machine gun for a hand next to a skinny guy in a purple suit with a ridiculously over sized sword.

Definitely glad that it's action based rather than turn based, tbh I probably would have stopped caring if they showed it was turn based.

Not saying that I don't enjoy turn based at all, but Action is pretty much what SE (and Nomura games in particular) excel at over pretty much every other ARPG in the industry (not straight up action games like DMC or Platinum games though). Whereas there's pretty much always been better and more interesting turn based combat from other companies, and even themselves from series besides FF.

Also this already looks like what Nomura wanted Versus/XV to be originally, so I already have more faith in this than what XV is coming out as now.

entremet

what is with everyones hatred for action rpgs?
did Action RPGs kill your parents or something?

It's mostly because people want the game have some semblance to the original and the battle system is a big part of that.

I don't think people out and out action RPGs. I mean Souls is huge here.

Have there been any remakes which dramatically changed the gameplay to this degree? Reboots, sure, but remakes, with the same story/characters etc?

Well a question would also be have there been much remake that have to update as much as this game.
They going to have to change everything about it even if the combat system was the same .

HeelPower

I am struggling to understand how anyone could think Dissidia design looks better than this.

Its far,far too pretty and lacks any of the details that you can see in the awesome remake interpretation.

This is not a soldier who's been through hell and back..Works for a game like dissidia,but not for the proper remake.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-17-at-10.07.24-PM-747x309.png

This is why I don't envy square.

No matter what there will be a ton of butthurt people over any choice they make with this game.

good luck

Let them be. For those of us that enjoy it despite any minor gripes, it will be all the sweeter every second that we play.

Honestly I think the game will be polished to the max given the monumental task remaking a "no doubt about it" classic.

You guys saying "this is upper Midgar" need to replay through that intro again. Even upper Midgar has its share of poverty and litter. Abandoned turned over cars, trash on the street.

You simply don't know what you are talking about. I've played this game like literally tens of times and you are just making false statements.

We never even explored Upper Midgar in the game. At all. Never.

The only parts we see of Upper Midgar is basically what is around immediately around after the explosion of the Reactor, and when you run out into the European style streets before jumping on the train.

The only other times are like seeing when the Plate falls on Sector 7 you get a brief look at the Upper Plate before it falls and when you invade the Shinra building when you pretty much ONLY explore the Shinra building.

The other time is when you parachute onto Midgar to fight Hojo and Scarlet, and that's again during a major battle and Hojo's madness screwing up the area you are in.

And occasionally when it is looked down upon from the Shinra Building from extremely far away that you basically can't see anything.

That's like literally all the scenes of Upper Midgar in the whole game.

Loving the salt from the old superfans.

"NO, I DON'T WANT DIFFERENCES FOR A REIMAGINING. JUST KEEP GIVING ME THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN"

It doesn't even phase me that some people are disappointed that it's no longer ATB turn-based, but the few people trying to frame this as a dumbing down (some seemingly skirting around outright saying "FOR TODAY'S A.D.D. KIDDIES AMIRITE?") as though VII's original combat were deep or complex in any way really grinds my gears

Famassu

"who wants a remake to be the same gameplay?! play the original!"

most acclaimed, successful remakes:

Resident Evil

Metroid: Zero Mission

Final Fantasy 4 DS

Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, 7

*none of which dramatically changed the gameplay *
I'd hardly even call FFIV DS & DQIV-VII remakes. They are just 3Dfications of the originals while otherwise being pretty much the exact same games. Remakes aren't & shouldn't be limited to just "upgrade visuals, keep everything else exactly the same not to piss off change-resistant fans"

mugwhump

Woah, cool. Like where they're going with the combat.

I do wonder if that's actually ingame or if it's just a gameplay mockup. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Well clearly you're being unreasonable if you want it to be explicitly turn-based and can't accept a deviation in game play. And as someone who vastly prefers turn-based as well, I see no problem with the footage shown. It seems that you only wanted a makeover and not a remake.

Quite frankly, to play Final Fantasy VII again with only improved graphics and voice acting would be fucking boring. So once again I say, if you aren't going to appreciate the middle ground approach they are taking with this game to remain faithful to the original's universe while also keeping it fresh and updating its combat, then you're going to have to continue playing the old game.

This isn't a middle ground approach. A middle ground approach would be something like X-2 with attack interruptions, or Grandia/Chrono Trigger with mild positioning aspects.

There are ways to advance the combat without abandoning the genre. The best remake of all time, Resident Evil kept the core gameplay while simultaneously polishing it up and making it acceptable for a newer audience. This isn't doing that, it's throwing the core gameplay out and opting for something new.

Top Bottom