• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar Tonelico III-Teaser video, screenshots, website & misc info

jman2050

rykomatsu said:
The basic story/plot should be standalone for the most part. There are small inclusions here and there (atleast in 2) that refer back to AT1 which might bring a smile to your face, but they don't directly affect the storyline. Not sure if that will ultimately be the case in AT3.

Given the way the second game ended I'm willing to bet there's going to be a much larger connection to previous titles in this game.

LiK

rykomatsu said:
Rikka Ryosya
at3_RikkaRyosya.jpg

man, stop teasing us, just take it all off :lol

kay

rykomatsu said:
I thought NISA owned the rights to the AT IP in the US?
Namco owns it, they had it before the 2nd game released but after the 1st. They obviously still let NIS publish the 2nd one but things could change this time around, they took Magnacarta from Atlus. Or maybe Atlus didn't want to publish it anymore so Namco had to bring that over.
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78958192
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=78626288

Tamanon

Banned
jman2050 said:
Given the way the second game ended I'm willing to bet there's going to be a much larger connection to previous titles in this game.

Hopefully the third one picks up where mine ended.

The middle of that boss fight.:/

kiryogi

Banned

rykomatsu

Tamanon said:
Hopefully the third one picks up where mine ended.

The middle of that boss fight.:/

Croche (for Replekia) + Jakuri (for Song Magic)

Wait for burst to charge a few turns, and then drop it on the boss

Some new scans featuring the alter-egos are out.

farios @ gamefaqs said:
Saki
Sakia Lumei:The opposite of Saki she is a stubborn persona, she shows up when Saki is in danger to beat up her enemies. WOW!
Filament:She is the persona that isolates all of the pain that Saki cant bear, she know a lot of things that Saki dont know and help her friends with that knowledge
Selepetor:The big sis personality,for Saki that always tries to hide her feelings, she is the one who gives her all the advice about love. I have a high expectation for this one XD

Finnel
?????:A mysterious persona that rarely appears. She seeks to achieve her only objective that she remembers. My bet is this girl is Harvestasya :)
Souma:She is feared by people as the Clusternia's assassin, despite wearing a clown outfit her movements are very fast
Yurisika:Sorry cant read it but she seems to seek some kind of help from Aoto

And according to someone from Reyvateil Melody there are a lot of singers there are Shikata Akiko, Shimotsuki Haruka, Mitose Noriko, KOKIA, Inoue Azumi, Katakiri Rekka, Ueno Yoko,and some others

rykomatsu

Kagari said:
Promotion Video 1 on JPSN now.

My AV receiver hit the shitter :|

Had to listen through headphones but holy shit it sounds amazing...sounds like they re-recorded for PV track for PSN...slightly different from web video.

new receiver should be here friday or monday...can't wait :|

matmanx1

Wow, gorgeous video! And the music is still excellent, as expected. I really like the new graphic direction for this game. Hopefully the gameplay won't suffer as a result.

rykomatsu

Website updated...a whole slew of new images and what not

Also, flier from Shimotsuki Haruka's concert event had some AT3 Hymnos Concert Album info.

Hymnos Concert Crimson (Finnel) will feature Shimotsuki Haruka, Katagiri Rekka, Mitose Noriko, and others
Hymnos Concert Azure (Saki) will feature Shikata Akiko, KOKIA, and Ueno Yoko

Just a small sampling here. It appears all the alter egos will be modelled

at3_salapator_01.jpg

at3_salapator_02.jpg

at3_salapator_03.jpg

Saki's Alter Egos
at3_Filament.jpg

at3_SakiaRumei.jpg

Finnel's Alter Egos
at3_Soma.jpg

at3_Unknown.jpg

Tepo - Plugin for the Dive System created by Hikari Gojo to scan the reyvateil's alter egos
at3_Tepo.jpg

Next website update - 11/26/2009

kiryogi

Banned
That wasn't the prettiest trailer upscaled. It's sorta funny though. I dled the RgG4 promo, Art3 promo and the La Pucelle Ragnarok promo. It's like it started at the cleanest and highest quality and went down hill from there. I mean the 3d portions in the video for Art3 look nice, but there was some bad upscaling for the 2d assets. I doubt it's like that in the actual game XD

rykomatsu

kiryogi said:
That wasn't the prettiest trailer upscaled. It's sorta funny though. I dled the RgG4 promo, Art3 promo and the La Pucelle Ragnarok promo. It's like it started at the cleanest and highest quality and went down hill from there. I mean the 3d portions in the video for Art3 look nice, but there was some bad upscaling for the 2d assets. I doubt it's like that in the actual game XD

Well...La Pucelle Ragnarok is PSP isn't it? That'd be sad if that had the highest quality video :p
Rorona's 2D aspect wasn't bad at all, so I doubt there'll be much issue with that, unless you're talking about the "cartoony" look of the cosmospheres?

rykomatsu

xero273 said:
Don't worry, you can only get them to their underwear.

There's one more purge stage they haven't shown :p

Some new updates

Hymnos Sampler
http://www.team-e.co.jp/sp/artonelico3/hymmnos.swf
↑some really nice track samples (albeit VERY short) in there

System
Purge system - heroines basically undress...something about less obstructions on the body there are, the more energy they can utilize from Sol Ciel; yeah pretty rediculous but the less they're wearing, the stronger the reyvateils get lol.

Harmography Gauge - See all those bars next to the heart in the gauge at the bottom of the battle UI and the pink line towards the left of those bars? If you time your attacks so the larger/longer bars coincide with the pink line, the heart on the right of the UI starts spinning faster and growing. The rate at which the heart spins (energy roll) reflects the rate of burst charge; the size is an indication of whether the heroine is ready to purge or not. Once the heroine purges, the heart will shrink until the next purge stage. Defending will also help increase the energy roll.

It seems as it's a direct evolution of AT2's system. If you enjoyed AT2's battle system with the rhythym game-ish aspect, then you'll probably find this one to be enjoyable, granted this is all speculation.

In-game screens
at3_battlefield_01.jpg

at3_battlefield_02.jpg

at3_battlefield_03.jpg

at3_battlefield_04.jpg

at3_battlefield_05.jpg

at3_battlefield_06.jpg

at3_battlefield_07.jpg

at3_filament_01.jpg

at3_filament_02.jpg

at3_filament_03.jpg

at3_filament_04.jpg

at3_hymnos_01.jpg

at3_hymnos_02.jpg

at3_hymnos_03.jpg

at3_hymnos_04.jpg

Durante

rykomatsu said:
Harmography Gauge - See all those bars next to the heart in the gauge at the bottom of the battle UI and the pink line towards the left of those bars? If you time your attacks so the larger/longer bars coincide with the pink line, the heart on the right of the UI starts spinning faster and growing. The rate at which the heart spins (energy roll) reflects the rate of burst charge; the size is an indication of whether the heroine is ready to purge or not. Once the heroine purges, the heart
Very interesting, we no longer have 2 phases but at least the one we do have is still rythm-y. Very much looking forward to the battle system.

The models are also very nice, and it may just be me but to me it seems like they stopped overdoing the rim lighting in these newer shots. I really like that (I complained about the extreme rim lighting before).

jman2050

Kagari said:
Oh Gust...

At least they're smart enough to know who their target audience is from a business perspective...

Battle system does sound pretty interesting, a direct evolution of sorts of AT2's system which I enjoyed immensely. Here's hoping the gameplay-to-animu ratio remains high enough that I can still enjoy it :lol

I wonder if they'd add skippable spell animations in here. Sometimes it got boring seeing whichever song magic for the umpteenth time.

Harmony gauge sounds interesting, but it doesn't look like the dual Reyvateil system is back. And as for the purge system... they certainly have no illusions about what one of the biggest the selling points of these games are. :D

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, I finally finished Ar Tonelico 2, and you can count me in with the "I can't wait for this game" crowd.

I'm actually now looking forward to this more than FFXIII. Well, except for the purge system that's kinda dumb. But the rest is looking awesome!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I finished AT1 a few days ago (
Shurelia end ftw!
:D ). I really enjoyed it despite the incredible lack of difficulty. It was the first jrpg I played in years and for some reason it kind of clicked with me. I'm now deep into phase 2 of AT2 and loving it as well. The battle system took me a longass time to figure out. It doesn't give you any time to stop and think about all these little meters and shit. It's all ATTACK! TO SLOW, DEFEND! ATTACK! RUUUUN! :lol It's good stuff once you get the hang of it though. Everything is so much more refined and interesting this time, but the visuals just throw me off and don't gel as well as they did in 1. They're still decent and not worth complaining about. Both games run fantastically on PCSX2. Hopefully I'll have this finished up by the time FF13 gets here. :)

I'm super excited about AT3 now and put my preorder in at play-asia. From the sound of it I'll definitely be getting the soundtracks as well, that sampler was glorious.

RurouniZel said:
I'm actually now looking forward to this more than FFXIII. Well, except for the purge system that's kinda dumb. But the rest is looking awesome!

You're
dumb. :mad:

For those who have played the previous entries, how would you describe the stories? Dramatic? Happy? Lame? Somber? Any comparisons. I plan on playing them but I want to know what I'm getting into.

jman2050

-Pyromaniac- said:
For those who have played the previous entries, how would you describe the stories? Dramatic? Happy? Lame? Somber? Any comparisons. I plan on playing them but I want to know what I'm getting into.

Idealistic drama is the best way I can think of to describe it. Also very anime, but that should go without saying.

Also teenage girls fighting enemies wearing nothing but towels, but that also/i] should go without saying...

rykomatsu

-Pyromaniac- said:

AT1 had a better/more serious story which kinda was about human experimentation/child abuse (though was done in a non-offensive, yet light hearted)
AT2's general theme is about creating a utopia, but more about the two heroines
bitch fighting between each other, then a 3rd heroine coming into the fray at the halfway point and stealing the protagonist's love interest

luka

Loves Robotech S1
-Pyromaniac- said:

The stories aren't spectacular, but good enough to hold your interest. Honestly the world itself captivated me a lot more than the story. It's really quite pretty and unique. Climbing the cliffs and rock formations floating around the base of ar tonelico and seeing the few people that settled there living thousands of feet above the ground, then eventually climbing up through the clouds amid lightning storms and floating debris was a great sequence. The visuals are fairly primitive but exhibit a wonderful sense of place and history.

If there is one reason to play, it's for probably one of the best soundtracks in gaming history. It's worth buying for the music alone, seriously.

rykomatsu

luka said:
Honestly the world itself captivated me a lot more than the story.

This. Tsuchiya Akira's been working on the IP since ~1997 (trivia: Spica is the oldest character in the game...had a different name back in 97) so the background information and the details are really quite well laid out. For a niche game, it gives a lot of the major games a run for their money when it comes to how well the world itself is fleshed out, especially if you can read the official guidebooks. Very detailed historical timeline, technological differences between Sol Ciel and Sol Marta, how the hymnos server functions (not leaving it at "it just does") and so on and so for.

It's one of my favorite IPs to come out in the last 5~10 years.

Durante

RurouniZel said:
Well, I finally finished Ar Tonelico 2, and you can count me in with the "I can't wait for this game" crowd.

I'm actually now looking forward to this more than FFXIII.
Same here, ever since the first trailer. I think I've watched that 10 times now.

-Pyromaniac- said:
The stories aren't bad at all, as long as you can deal with a few anime clichés. The main arcs are mostly drama I guess but many of the individual situations have quite a bit of humour. In both games, but particularly in the second one the story is mostly a vehicle for character development though.

As others have mentioned, the setting is really well developed, particularly for the JRPG genre.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I don't think this was posted, but a new PV just showed up on amazon.jp. It's choppy as hell but it's OMFG revealing.

Jack and Krusche are back noticeably older and Cocona appears to once again be a vanguard.
Also, song crafting!

Durante

The official website has also been updated, with:

- a new BGM track
- stuff in the "Special" section I'm not sure about, probably preorder extras or something like that
- tons of information about the song magic system, which seems awesome
- some updated character pages

Arde5643 said:
Didn't see this in the OP, but is this game PS3 only?
Yes.

rykomatsu

luka said:
Jack and Krusche are back noticeably older and Cocona appears to once again be a vanguard.
Also, song crafting!

haha...nice

EXEC_ViiBaCi_MjiiRa/. sounds fucking amazing. Also, based off the hymnos title, it looks like either a) there was technology transfer between the 2nd and 3rd towers, or b) they came up with a similar hymnos compression algorithm of sorts, comparable to the 2nd tower.

matmanx1

Just finished AT2 a couple of weeks ago and I had a really good time with it. Great battle system and music, interesting world and characters that actually seemed fairly real (at least for a video game). The whole relationship dynamic between the girls was nicely done and really the only weakness of the game was the low quality visuals.

AT3 looks much, much nicer so if they can keep the good stuff from the first 2 then it might be pretty great.

Top Bottom