• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy accidentally shoots gun off in Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood the fear that must come along with owning a gun just in case the US government decide to go a bit mental and what... slaughter you all? I mean if you had any genuine inclination that might actually happen, why would you still be living in that country?

Zombies
Aliens
Mole People
Cordyceps Infection
Walking Dead
SharkNados
Giant Crocodiles
Sentient AI Robots
ISIS uprising
Global Warming - Desertification
Global Cooling - Ice Age
Dinosaurs

The list is really endless of possible reasons to need and own a gun, you just need to watch more movies.

Ponn

Banned
Gun are getting safer. There's handguns with extreme safety measures, that won't let the gun fire unless the trigger is actually pulled. Trigger safeties are on almost every popular handgun like Glock, XD, M&P, Ruger, and a lot of the other popular brands. And some of them like the XD have grip safeties which have to be depressed in order for the gun to fire. I walked around yesterday with a pistol in my pocket and didn't drop it, it was his accident.

Responsible gun owners "Just trust me, take my word for it"

It's always target for some reason...

They, like many people, are probably attracted to Target's consistent fair prices on cookies.

Like Oreo's.
TargetOCT.jpg

I know these are contentious times.

And maybe we all don't know what we want.

....but Oreo's are a damn fine cookie, and we should all be thankful for that.

We are still waiting for the things the anti-gunners gun-nuts predicted in the 1980-90s 2007-2015 when the idea of concealed carry a black president was just starting to formulate. "OMG! They're going to take our guns and ammo! False flag attacks! Sharia law!"

None of it has happened. And concealed carry paranoid racism has spread, even to blue states. Liberty and individual rights are winning for white Christians only. And that is why the puritanical anti-gun folks conspiratorial gun-nuts get more shrill and dishonest with each passing day.

FTFY.

TheJLC

You talking about d0hv?

Lol...

Yeah dropping a gun ain't gonna make it shoot itself. But not having it in a holster means the gun is freely moving around with other objects which can cause the gun safeties to fail. If your gun only has a trigger safety an object can still get on the trigger and cause the weapon to fire. Also, failing to have a proper holster means that the weapon can fall out of wherever you are carrying and possibly land in the wrong hands or you in attempt to catch it make it fire.

I carry all the time. My weapon is always in a holster. A gun can only be as safe as the operator. If the operator is careless the results will be similar.

dejay

Banned
If you drop a gun don't try to catch it. It should have a firing pin block and won't go off if it hits the ground.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
There was an infuriating story on 60 Minutes a couple months back on how difficult it is to implement smart guns. A store owner was initially going to start carrying them, but gun owners from around the country complained at him, some even sending death threats. All over some obscure provision in one state's statutes that likely would have been both unenforceable and probably struck down quickly if challenged.

On 60 minutes ? Oh please just part of the plan to make America scared of guns. The most trusted and best selling brands in firearms like the XD, Glock, and M&P all have these safety features, The Glock not so much, but it still has a trigger safety.

iamblades

Lol...

Yeah dropping a gun ain't gonna make it shoot itself. But not having it in a holster means the gun is freely moving around with other objects which can cause the gun safeties to fail. If your gun only has a trigger safety an object can still get on the trigger and cause the weapon to fire. Also, failing to have a proper holster means that the weapon can fall out of wherever you are carrying and possibly land in the wrong hands or you in attempt to catch it make it fire.

I carry all the time. My weapon is always in a holster. A gun can only be as safe as the operator. If the operator is careless the results will be similar.

^^

all modern handguns have integral drop safeties that mean they will only fire if the trigger is pulled(i mean basically everything newer than a single action army has that, aside from crazy russian handguns like original Tokarevs).

Carrying with no holster means there is nothing protecting the trigger from being pulled accidentally. Dude was a negligent asshole and I hope he enjoys jail. Which doesn't mean pocket carry is unsafe, but you still need a pocket holster that covers the trigger.

Tucking a gun into your waistband with no holster is a recipe for shooting yourself in the leg, ala Plaxico Burress.

Link

The Autumn Wind
For protection. It's called lacking if you're in a life threatening situation without your gun.
Must be tough living in constant fear and paranoia. The irony being geniuses that carry a loose gun like this guy and yourself are the biggest threats.

neurosyphilis

In your fucking pocket? No holster or anything? That seems extremely stupid.

It was an XD 9 which has a grip safety on it and it has to be depressed or the gun won't fire. Here's a pic with it in my pocket, if it drops it won't shoot. Most modern handguns won't fire anyways when dropped. But the grip safety is designed for extra protection from that and from little kids firing it. I'm not dumb, I wouldn't just carry any gun in my pocket. Also it was only around the house.
oDJ2o2b.png

?oe?oe

They, like many people, are probably attracted to Target's consistent fair prices on cookies.

Like Oreo's.
TargetOCT.jpg

I know these are contentious times.

And maybe we all don't know what we want.

....but Oreo's are a damn fine cookie, and we should all be thankful for that.
Those guys would be shot down before they could even raise their guns....

Link

The Autumn Wind
It was an XD 9 which has a grip safety on it and it has to be depressed or the gun won't fire. Here's a pic with it in my pocket, if it drops it won't shoot. Most modern handguns won't fire anyways when dropped. But the grip safety is designed for extra protection from that and from little kids firing it. I'm not dumb, I wouldn't just carry any gun in my pocket. Also it was only around the house.
oDJ2o2b.png
This is a joke, right? Someone tell me this guy is just taking the piss here.

Please.

Xdrive05

oDJ2o2b.png

I have a Walther PPX. It's Glock style (no active/manual safety), but it has a couple passive safeties and like you say, can't go off unless you pull a trigger with a round chambered. I won't carry without a retention holster, and I dont leave it chambered anyway because of that.

Does your Springfield have a manual safety other than the grip?

oDJ2o2b.png
You asked why it mattered when I wondered how old you were in another thread. This is why. You are carrying a gun in your pants pocket while walking around inside your house. (And I'm assuming it is not your house, but your parents.) You are not mature enough to handle firearms. What were you fantasizing about while you were doing this?

cameron

http://i.imgur.com/oDJ2o2b.png

Because of all those "life threatening situations" in your house?

neurosyphilis

I have a Walther PPX. It's Glock style (no active/manual safety), but it has a couple passive safeties and like you say, can't go off unless you pull a trigger with a round chambered. I won't carry without a retention holster, and I dont leave it chambered anyway because of that.

Does your Springfield have a manual safety other than the grip?

Nah it has the grip safety, trigger safety, and two loaded chamber indicators. One chamber indicator on the top of the slide which is like a little thing that pops out when the chamber is loaded. Also there is a little silver pin that pops out to also let you know if the chamber is loaded or not.

neurosyphilis

You asked why it mattered when I wondered how old you were in another thread. This is why. You are carrying a gun in your pants pocket while walking around inside your house. (And I'm assuming it is not your house, but your parents.) You are not mature enough to handle firearms. What were you fantasizing about while you were doing this?

I'm 19, I'm mature enough.

hwalker84

in an ideal world, his gun license should be revoked for a. having a gun tucked into his waistband and not a secure holster or something similar and b. having it both loaded and with the safety off.

however, knowing MURICA he'll get to keep the gun and hailed as a hero by the NRA or some shit.

Not all guns have safeties. Most striker fired pistols(the most common pistols in 2015) don't have a traditional safety like a 1911.

Javaman

oDJ2o2b.png

Please tell me you only do that in your house and don't open carry like that. If not, you're just asking for someone to snatch it. Personally I always use a pocket holster even when carrying a double action only. Also nothing else ever in the same pocket.

I've always thought those grip safeties are pointless since you're most likely to have a negligent discharge when holstering or unholstering the gun and that safety is disengaged as soon as you grip it.

Calion

"I can't legally drink or purchase alcohol because of my age, but you should trust me carrying a weapon only used to kill or inflict severe damage to anyone or anything."

Gun owners man.

Culex

Banned

Unless you are in the military you have no business holstering a sidearm if you are 19,

.... Unless you are a gangbanger or in a zombie apocalypse.

If you do not meet the above critetia, my opinion is you are quite dumb.

iamblades

Not all guns have safeties. Most striker fired pistols(the most common pistols in 2015) don't have a traditional safety like a 1911.

Even modern hammer fired pistols don't have external safeties aside from when required by the agency or military buying them(ie Beretta 92S), they usually have a decocker and DA/SA instead, or DAO.

Why do you carry a gun around with you in the house? I am really curious about this aspect, more than the pocket thing now.

I can't speak for that user, but I know of some people who do carry guns around inside their homes, loaded... and I hope you are sitting down when I tell you the reason because I don't want to scare you... it's because they're afraid of the government breaking into their homes at any moment. Or, in other words, paranoia.

appaws

Banned
Nah it has the grip safety, trigger safety, and two loaded chamber indicators. One chamber indicator on the top of the slide which is like a little thing that pops out when the chamber is loaded. Also there is a little silver pin that pops out to also let you know if the chamber is loaded or not.

I have an XD that I carry all the time, and have for years. That little silver pin in the back indicates if the gun is cocked, not if there is a round in the chamber. The loaded chamber indicator is the little black thing on top that pops up right in front of the ejection port.

I carry a S&W snubby in a pocket holster when dress prevents me from carrying full size...always in a holster and in a dedicated pocket.

And before any of the anti-gun people jump on me, I am required to concealed carry for my job.

Uh huh

Edit: I'm legit worried for your safety please don't be dumb man. I think guns are so stupid, but even if you can't see that - don't do dumb shit with your gun.

I agree with these guys. You need to be careful man. ALWAYS use a holster if you are carrying. I am pretty sure that the legal age for CCW is 21 in most states, so I don't think you are talking about concealed carrying outside the house. Anyway, carrying an unholstered gun in a pocket or waistband is WRONG and dangerous no matter what you see in movies.

Guns are the most serious of business

neurosyphilis

Unless you are in the military you have no business holstering a sidearm if you are 19,

.... Unless you are a gangbanger or in a zombie apocalypse.

If you do not meet the above critetia, my opinion is you are quite dumb.

1. I only had it in my pocket because I was bringing it in the house because it was in the car.
2. I live in Florida. At 18 I'm aloud to own and posses a handgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom