• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets Try This Again: Is It Worth Getting a Revo K101+? (GBA clone, $70, emu support)

ErbilT

I see $249, which is way too rich for my blood.
They posted that it would be around $200 on their FB page about three weeks ago and they just updated their website with the $250 price point. So, if an SNES or Famicom casing and a new box is worth an extra $180 to you, go for it. As much as I like the work that RCG puts into their products, it's not worth the added cost for a silly Famicom throwback.

I just got a webcam for Christmas, so I am planning on creating a video review of the unit whem I'm home later this week.

Well, mine finally showed up, and along with missing the microSD card, it seems like the K-Card doesn't work at all. Is there a combination of buttons I need to press to get it to load?

Wereroku

Well, mine finally showed up, and along with missing the microSD card, it seems like the K-Card doesn't work at all. Is there a combination of buttons I need to press to get it to load?

Did you get the Kit for $75 because as far as I have read that's the only one that came with a Microsd card. I think Screen button plus left bumper brings up the menu but you should have a boot screen when you turn it on with the K card in.

Melter

Just got the k101 yesterday. Am pretty disappointed with the uneven pixel scaling on the screen. Even more so because the rest of the unit is so awesome.

If they just used a native res screen or a 1:1 upscale this thing would have been perfect.

Did you get the Kit for $75 because as far as I have read that's the only one that came with a Microsd card. I think Screen button plus left bumper brings up the menu but you should have a boot screen when you turn it on with the K card in.

Sure did. I had an extra MicroSD card sitting around, so I guess I can live with that (even if I paid extra for it).

But yeah, no boot screen when I try to load the K-Card. Just goes to the same blank "GAME BOY" screen as it would without any cart in the system at all.

It's probably going to be hell to get these guys to resolve this.

Melter

Sure did. I had an extra MicroSD card sitting around, so I guess I can live with that (even if I paid extra for it).

But yeah, no boot screen when I try to load the K-Card. Just goes to the same blank "GAME BOY" screen as it would without any cart in the system at all.

It's probably going to be hell to get these guys to resolve this.

Did you try putting some games on the Microsd (formatted FAT32) and putting it in the kcard?

Did you try putting some games on the Microsd (formatted FAT32) and putting it in the kcard?

Sure did. I'm using a Mac, though, so that can be kinda wonky. I'm going to try reformatting it and see if it'll do anything.

Even without any games on it, it should boot into the K-Card menu, shouldn't it?

Edit: Nope, I'm an idiot. Nevermind!

Edit 2: Now that I've got it working, I'm super impressed. The screen looks great, though the resolution differences can be bit tough to stomach (perfect resolution is in there, if you want to play on a postage stamp!). Popped in my Street Fighter Alpha 3 cart and had a much better time using the X & Y buttons than I had using the shoulders on my SP.

I guess if you want to order one, skip on the kit and just get the unit with the K-Card.

Wereroku

Sure did. I'm using a Mac, though, so that can be kinda wonky. I'm going to try reformatting it and see if it'll do anything.

Even without any games on it, it should boot into the K-Card menu, shouldn't it?

Edit: Nope, I'm an idiot. Nevermind!

Edit 2: Now that I've got it working, I'm super impressed. The screen looks great, though the resolution differences can be bit tough to stomach (perfect resolution is in there, if you want to play on a postage stamp!). Popped in my Street Fighter Alpha 3 cart and had a much better time using the X & Y buttons than I had using the shoulders on my SP.

I guess if you want to order one, skip on the kit and just get the unit with the K-Card.
It's strange that they don't have any screen when there is nothing on the SD card since it has the firmware built in.

It's strange that they don't have any screen when there is nothing on the SD card since it has the firmware built in.

Yeah, that's what had me concerned. Working fine now that I've got some files on it (and in the right format).

I guess it makes sense that it's using homebrew emulators to emulate NES/TG-16/etc, because wow is that stuff rough. Tried playing Super Mario Bros. 3 and Splatterhouse and, yeah, not great!

Gameboy and Gameboy Color games look great on it, especially since it throws in those (Super Game Boy?) borders.

Mine came in today as well. I'm pretty sure on the store page it said it would come with an micro SD card, but mine didn't (like the user above). I turned it on just to see what would happen and the screen ain't turning on or anything. To make matters worse, the green LED is still on but I can't power it off. I should note that I don't have the micro SD card inserted with the K Card.

Right now I'm setting it up though. I had to make a run uptown to buy a new card reader cause my other pooped out on me. Bad timing! If I have any questions, I'll be back. Might even post some pictures later on if I get it working.

Edit #1: Okay, so I have the micro SD card with the K Card in the Revo but I have one major problem: I can't get the Revo to power off. I've been holding down the power button for a good minute and nothing. Even a short press won't do it. Is there a specific way to shut it down? Once again, the screen isn't even on, so I don't know what is happening.

Edit #2: I saw a reset button, pressed it and it worked like a charm. What a ride...But it's working now and it looks great! I'll have to throw up some pics later on after I get to know the odds and ends of this.

Rich!

Seems I need to repeat this as people still don't seem to understand.

THIS CONSOLE DOES NOT HAVE EMULATION SUPPORT, at least not to the extent people here are assuming.

The title of this thread is misleading. Yes, the Revo can play NES, GB, GG and TG16 games. You know why? because its a game boy advance.

These emulators are the exact same emulators developed for the Game Boy Advance (goomba color, pocketnes, etc). They run exactly the same as on a real GBA.

Do not expect anything other than what you would get on a GBA. Why? Because the Revo is a GBA.

PSOreo

Looks interesting but I think there are so many other different systems that pretty much do the same thing and in some cases better. Yes the battery life seems like a big plus however I think it's rare you'd be in a situation where excessive battery life outweighs compatibly and emulation.

Side note; I don't understand why full members get a free pass after throwing strops and not learning from it while juniors get thrown the ban hammer.

THIS CONSOLE DOES NOT HAVE EMULATION SUPPORT, at least not to the extent people here are assuming.

The title of this thread is misleading. Yes, the Revo can play NES, GB, GG and TG16 games. You know why? because its a game boy advance.

These emulators are the exact same emulators developed for the Game Boy Advance (goomba color, pocketnes, etc). They run exactly the same as on a real GBA.

Do not expect anything other than what you would get on a GBA. Why? Because the Revo is a GBA.

Thanks Rich, I was actually a little confused about this as it isn't that well stated on their website. I am really considering picking up one of these as I'd rather use this to play my collection and leave my Ags101 SP stay in mint condition.

Rich!

Side note; I don't understand why full members get a free pass after throwing strops and not learning from it while juniors get thrown the ban hammer.

For your information, I was juniored for six months minimum. I cannot make threads now. Anything else and I am permed. I'm on my last warning.

I would like to think that over the past six years I've contributed a shitload to GAF with my threads, more so than a lot of people have done. I've been unstable the past few months due to health issues (again) and I've gotten to the point where I just don't give a shit. I have made a few posts here and there, but I very much doubt I will be posting on GAF for long sadly. I have a very, very negative view of people as a whole especially on the internet, and I would just rather not bother anymore.

Hope I didn't give off this impression. I never assumed they'd be perfect, but I've also never looked into GBA homebrew much before, so this is sort of my first brush with it.

Just gave my impressions in case people read the copy on the Revo site and assume they'll be able to play those other console games with the performance of a PSP or something.

BiggNife

Thank you for clarifying this. I was going by the Polygon article, which mentions emulation but doesn't explain specifics. Apologies for being misleading.

I think I'm going to pass on getting one of these for now but I could definitely see myself getting one down the line.

Wereroku

So I got mine yesterday and it came with everything mentioned so you should contact the seller and get your memory card. Also it's a really nicely built little machine.

zephry

My impression of Revo K101+

1. Screen: Mixed. The best screen mode is FULL SCREEN. I am very picky about screen quality but out of the three this is the best. 1:1 is too small and correct-ratio scaling is a uneven blurry mess. I got used to the slightly stretched look and actually some games look better this way.

2. Sound: Internal speaker is loud for a handheld and it's excellent.

3. Controller: Directional pad is excellent. ABXY is too tall in my opinion and the diamond layout is less optimal than the original GBA layout. It makes it harder to play platformers.

4. Menu: It's barebone, but it works.

5. Construction: It's solidly built and very light.

6: Battery Life: It seems to be short. I don't have exact data but when I place the unit on standby at night, it is dead in the morning.

Overall: Highly recommended if you can overlook the screen and short battery.

Wereroku

My impression of Revo K101+

1. Screen: Mixed. The best screen mode is FULL SCREEN. I am very picky about screen quality but out of the three this is the best. 1:1 is too small and correct-ratio scaling is a uneven blurry mess. I got used to the slightly stretched look and actually some games look better this way.

6: Battery Life: It seems to be short. I don't have exact data but when I place the unit on standby at night, it is dead in the morning.

Overall: Highly recommended if you can overlook the screen and short battery.

Yeah I think the standby doesn't really work that great your better off just saving the game and turning the unit off completely. I am getting 4-5 hours even with days between play sessions as long as I completely shut the unit down. Also it is so strange that full screen mode looks so much better then the middle mode. It has terrible pixel crawling in some games.

zephry

Yeah I think the standby doesn't really work that great your better off just saving the game and turning the unit off completely. I am getting 4-5 hours even with days between play sessions as long as I completely shut the unit down. Also it is so strange that full screen mode looks so much better then the middle mode. It has terrible pixel crawling in some games.

That must be it. It's dead whenever I tried to resume after putting it to sleep. I am learning to save and turn it off. Also I agree with you completely on full screen mode. I've been exchanging emails with the developer and I think they've done the best they could about the picture quality. The screen is actually quite bright and wonderful except the resolution issue. I spent $70 and I am very happy. I almost spent $$$ to purchase a micro.

Atolm

So I received my unit today and it seems to be dead on arrival. When I turned it on the screen stays black. And now it doesn't turn off, not even holding the Power button.

Oh well. Guess this will teach me.

zephry

So I received my unit today and it seems to be dead on arrival. When I turned it on the screen stays black. And now it doesn't turn off, not even holding the Power button.

Oh well. Guess this will teach me.

Have you tried using an actual GBA cart? Also according to the posts in the thread you must have games in microsd in the kcard in order for the unit to come on.

irriadin

They posted that it would be around $200 on their FB page about three weeks ago and they just updated their website with the $250 price point. So, if an SNES or Famicom casing and a new box is worth an extra $180 to you, go for it. As much as I like the work that RCG puts into their products, it's not worth the added cost for a silly Famicom throwback.

I just got a webcam for Christmas, so I am planning on creating a video review of the unit whem I'm home later this week.

Is there really no difference besides the SFC stylings that make up the $180 price differential? That seems absurd...

Atolm

Have you tried using an actual GBA cart? Also according to the posts in the thread you must have games in microsd in the kcard in order for the unit to come on.

OH thank you kind sir. It actually works. I thought it would show some kind of menu even without roms/actual cart.

Will post impressions later.

zephry

OH thank you kind sir. It actually works. I thought it would show some kind of menu even without roms/actual cart.

Will post impressions later.

Glad it helped. Hope you enjoy it! I got my first GBA when I was in college. It is quite nice to play the old games again!!!

Just got one of these today. To provide another point of view, I'm pretty disappointed by it. Not enough to turn around and sell it, but the lack of accuracy has me a bit bummed out. In particular, some specific sound effects in some games (enemy attack sound in Mother 1, placing a banana behind you in Super Circuit) don't play properly and are replaced by a beep sound. For a ~$100 clone console, I didn't expect audio glitches like this. It's still a good value - solid piece of hardware and a flashcart, but I can't find myself recommending it.

Screen scaling's better than I expected. Yeah, pixels get a bit mangled, but it's actually not all that noticeable in gameplay. It's not like emulators that haphazardly stretch out everything - there's at least some filtering going on to keep it from being overtly apparent.

Also, been stated, but the emulation is bad. Even Game Boy (Color) emulation has enough slowdown and sound bugs to make it unenjoyable.

Rich!

I'm going to post my full review here.

Note: When I purchased this console in November 2015, the price was $69.99 with free shipping, which converted to a brilliant price of £49. The price has now increased, and I will be taking this into account.

Anyone who was present back when the Game Boy Advance launched all those years ago back in 2001 would almost certainly have shared the same views on the console as I did. Playing SNES quality games on the go was incredible. At the time, F-Zero was a stunning example of what seemed to be the future of handheld gaming. There was just one small issue – unless playing out in direct sunlight, you couldn’t see shit due to the lack of lighting for the screen.

Just like with the Game Boy models beforehand, I managed. I dealt with it by angling the console towards the best possible source of light, probably causing undue strain to my arms in the process. The front-lit Game Boy Advance SP slightly rectified the problem, but was a cheap implementation that introduced washed out colours in the process. Not to the knowledge of many, a backlit model of the SP, the AGS-101, was launched without fanfare in the US and some regions of Europe in 2005. Featuring a great backlit screen, the AGS-101 is a good option if you have the cash, but they are increasingly hard to find here in the UK. And of course, there’s the Game Boy Micro which has price going against it in addition.

I do have a backlit modded original model GBA, which I put together myself with a bit of soldering and hacking together for the low price of £60 a few years back – but nowadays the same setup would cost around £200 or so due to the parts simply not being produced anymore.

So, what options are left for someone who wants to play their GBA collection on a backlit screen without parting significant amounts of cash or resorting to emulation? One solution would be the Revo K101+.

The Revo is a hardware clone that natively runs GBA cartridges and features a backlit screen. Taken from the official site:

Basic Features:

Full compatibility with normal hardware GBA games and ROMs
Support for official GBA cartridges
Support for pirated GBA cartridges
Official and Unofficial GBA link cable support (K101-K101, K101-K1 GBA SP, K101-GBA)
Cheat support (GBA .CHT files)
Support for standard 3.5 mm headphone jack
TV-out via a 2.5 mm AV cable
Real Time Clock (RTC) functionality
MP3 playback functionality
Battery – Nokia clone BL-5B 3.7v 890mAh Li-ion rechargeable

What is included;

1x Revo k101 plus crystal black
1x USB charger
1x TV-OUT cable
1x K-card

In total, quite an impressive list of features for such a low-cost device. An EZ-Flash IV flashcart alone would cost around £20, for example – and the Revo comes with its own flashcart packed in.

Now, let’s move onto the specifics:

Console

First impressions of the console are promising. The unit, although plastic, is sturdily built and the buttons are nice and responsive. The screen is worryingly uncovered without any kind of lens – luckily, there are a couple of screen protectors in the box. Use them. There are four face buttons – Y and X double up as L and R which is mightily useful for many games, but no way to reassign them is a disappointment. The D-Pad is better than it looks.

Unfortunately, the shoulder buttons are poor. They have an odd inwards pivot, and sadly are a pain to use due to how mushy and unresponsive they are. Not sure why the Revo team decided to design them in this way, but it was a mistake. Luckily, X and Y doubling up on their functions saves it.

The included flashcart is decent. The inbuilt software is well designed and has built-in artwork and cheat functions for the browser. Every GBA ROM I’ve tried works flawlessly, and any size micro-SD is supported as long as it is formatted to FAT32. Bear in mind this flashcart does not work with any other model GBA, likely due to the software being on the K101+ itself. One of the selling points of the console is that it supports emulation of GB/GBC/NES titles. Whilst this is technically true, bear in mind that it is only playing them through the same emulators that run on a standard GBA (pocketNES, goomba color, etc) and as such are subject to the same performance and limitations.

The Screen

Now onto the most significant selling point of the console – the backlit screen. Firstly, it needs to be made clear that this screen is a 4:3 display, which is at odds with the Game Boy Advance’s native 3:2 display (240 x 160). The reason for this presumably down to the cost of production – the GBA screen is fairly unique in its size and ratio. Essentially what this means to the user is that the games are scaled to fit 4:3. This may be a dealbreaker for some, but I personally think it’s perfectly acceptable.
DSC_0132

Super Mario Advance 2: Mario World. Playing from a retail cartridge

Despite it being scaled, there are very few visible artifacts – and the fact is that there isn’t a huge amount of scaling needed to get to 4:3 from 3:2 anyhow. Included, as shown in the above gallery, are a few display options for scaling (press brightness+down to switch). One is a true pixel-perfect 1:1 display with borders, and the other is 3:2 scaled to fit. Unfortunately, 1:1 is too small in my opinion, and 3:2 scaled has some downright nasty pixellation. It really leaves 4:3 fullscreen as the only logical choice – and that’s absolutely fine.

It’s also worth mentioning that the speaker is perfectly fine and a step up from the GBA’s tinny output. The headphone output is significantly better than the GBA’s – loud and clear with no discernible noise or static.

Compatibility

The console has worked flawlessly full speed with every single GBA title I’ve thrown at it, both retail cartridges and ROM files. No issues there. Unfortunately, there is one quite glaring issue with the sound emulation – whilst the GBA portion of it is damn near perfect, the GBA itself utilises the original Game Boy sound chip for sound effects and some instruments on a per-game basis (for example, used for sound effects in Minish Cap and for some instruments in Mario Kart). The Revo K101+ does not emulate the Game Boy sound chip well. At all. It’s a shame, because every thing else is near flawless.

Summary

The Revo K101+ is not by any means a perfect console, but if you are looking for a low-cost way to get back into the superb GBA library for a low price and would actually like to be able to see what the hell is going on for once, it’s a superb choice. For the £49 I spent, I couldn’t be happier with it.

Please note that the price has since increased to $89.99 for the black model I purchased, which puts it up to £62. This is nearing the cost of a backlit AGS-101 GBA SP. I would still recommend the K101 due to the value it offers with the included flashcart, but it’s up to you to make the decision of what to go for and what form factor you prefer really.

dsc_0113-728x409kdl1z.jpg

dsc_0117v7zqn.jpg

dsc_0119tqljp.jpg

dsc_01353nbwf.jpg

dsc_0138mebe1.jpg

dsc_0139kza9q.jpg

dsc_0145e4yvl.jpg

dsc_0150lpaaz.jpg

xpsur6dh0ab0a.jpg

butalala

These really are neat looking things. Thanks for the great review. Could someone with sharper eyes callout the artifacts that Rich! mentions? I can't spot them.

Rich!

These really are neat looking things. Thanks for the great review. Could someone with sharper eyes callout the artifacts that Rich! mentions? I can't spot them.

that's because they are only there in scaled 3:2 mode. In full scale 4:3 and 1:1 mode the scaling is uniform and absolutely fine, as the shots above show.

Wereroku

As he said they are only in the scaled mode and they can get pretty nasty. In several games it's some really bad pixel crawl. However it varies and some games can use it relatively well but honestly the full screen option is so nice that I just use that exclusively. Before the price hike this was a great deal even after it's a good deal but in now in range of just getting a 101. However I like it's form factor more that the SP so it wasn't ever difficult for me.

Looks like there is a slightly updated model coming out with minor changes to the dpad and buttons. Also a change to the pcb to fix a brightness issue.

LewieP

Looks like there is a slightly updated model coming out with minor changes to the dpad and buttons. Also a change to the pcb to fix a brightness issue.

Any more details? Where did you hear about this.

Still, I think it's the non-native screen resolution that is the main thing keeping me from buying one of these. I understand why they aren't using a screen that's 1:1, but it's still a bit of a downer.

Top Bottom