• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn games in 4K resolution.

By far the generation which has aged worse visually. I still kinda like it due to nostalgia, but deep down I know it looks like fucking shitttt.

nkarafo

Damn... Saturn games look way worse than N64 ones in HD resolutions.

For me these consoles are only bearable with CRT resolutions and shaders.

Dr. Buni

Why panzer dragon II Zwei?

Zwei = 2

For germans this sounds really dumb. Panzer Dragon 2 Two. Wtf.

Daytona looks timeless, could play it right now.
Plot twist: The game is secretly the fourth game in the series, Panzer Dragon 2 + 2 = 4. Now to find where the hell 2 and 3 are...

Synth

AM2 decided to traded resolution for lightning effects.

Which certainly made sense for Fighting Vipers, which Fighter's Megamix uses as a base. It wasn't just lighting either... there was the added geometry of the 3d caged arenas that were destructible, along with the breakable armor that the characters wore.

gelf

Back in the day I always wished Megamix had a VF2 graphics mode that would turn off any of the features like walls and armour that made it impossible.

Sonic Jam's Sonic World using Yabause in OpenGL:

vctNXdz.png

Yup, wrong aspect ratio again. But there is no real way to enforce a proper aspect ratio in fullscreen using Yabause it seems. Also, Sonic World is a little messed up as it is missing the floor and sky textures. Also I can't display this in 4K on my PC. So 1440p is all you get. The Sonic model doesn't look too bad as he is made out of flat shaded polygons with gouraud shading.

Yabause is such a rough emulator. Really prefer the no-frills SSF.

epmode

Yup, wrong aspect ratio again. But there is no real way to enforce a proper aspect ratio in fullscreen using Yabause it seems. Also, Sonic World is a little messed up as it is missing the floor and sky textures. Also I can't display this in 4K on my PC. So 1440p is all you get.
Can't you set your resolution to 1920x1440 before launching the emulator?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Oh god, stop stretching the poor screens.

Other than the aspect ratio thing, I really love this stuff.

ahh the screen is stretched, can somebody put it in 4:3? =) damn ^ beat me to it

People always complain about this but I'll never understand why. I'd rather have my game fill the screen than have any black bars.

My RetroArch is set to always be 16:9 with Easymode CRT across the board. Looks incredible.

gelf

People always complain about this but I'll never understand why. I'd rather have my game fill the screen than have any black bars.

My RetroArch is set to always be 16:9 with Easymode CRT across the board. Looks incredible.
Because the assets were made to be displayed at 4:3, not to be crushed like that and look unnatural. I forget about black bars after a while, I never get used to characters looking horribly deformed.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Because the assets were made to be displayed at 4:3, not to be crushed like that and look unnatural. I forget about black bars after a while, I never get used to characters looking horribly deformed.

Doesn't look crushed to me. Personal preference I guess. The black bars kill it for me!

epmode

People always complain about this but I'll never understand why.
Because everything looks much fatter due to it being vertically squished. For example, things that should look like circles become ovals. You really don't see anything wrong with the Virtua Fighter 2 shots?

What I don't understand is why anyone would be happy with an image that is clearly distorted just so they don't have some unused space on their screen.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
You really don't see anything wrong with the Virtua Fighter 2 shots?

What I don't understand is why anyone would be happy with an image that is clearly distorted just so they don't have some unused space on their screen.

Nothing wrong whatsoever. I prefer it.

I understand what you are saying and I am fully aware that the original image was 4:3. However the distortion you mention really doesn't bother me at all and in fact after a while you don't even notice that "circles become ovals" (and in fact they still more or less look like circles, really).

My preference is glorious full screen action over shitty unused black space.

Thaedolus

...I think I'll take the original resolutions on a CRT. Sometimes 3D games look better when you crank the resolution up, but those early era games...woof. The lack of fidelity on the original hardware actually helps the presentation, because your mind sort of makes up for the gaps.

Dunkley

...I think I'll take the original resolutions on a CRT. Sometimes 3D games look better when you crank the resolution up, but those early era games...woof. The lack of fidelity on the original hardware actually helps the presentation, because your mind sort of makes up for the gaps.

Honestly besides Sonic Jam and Sega Rally (which I agree looked better at original res), I feel like the other games posted here don't scale up too badly.

nkarafo

At least they don't turn into a wobbly surrealist painting like PS1 3D does.
Yeah, PS1 games are pretty bad with their unstable polygons and all, but aren't the plugins that improve graphics and resolution also add perspective correction as well?

All 3 consoles look bad at very high resolutions but i think PS1 and N64 look a bit better because they look less "boxy" than Saturn games do and use less 2D/cardboard assets.

_SAKY_

So many CRT, 240p, and 4:3 "purists" here. Take it somewhere else folks and let this thread live or die on its own premise. *smh*

LewieP

For my money, VF2 is an OK looking game in screenshots, given its age, but one of the strongest aspects of its visuals is the animation.

Also the 4:3 images look far better than the unnecessarily distorted images.

Interesting thread. Even if the games don't actually look 'better' at this resolution, it is neat to see all the assets in more detail.

epmode

So many 4:3 "purists" here. Take it somewhere else folks and let this thread live or die on its own premise. *smh*

It's not out of any love for 4:3, friend. I'd be 100% OK with widescreen shots provided that the aspect ratio is adjusted accordingly.

Some screen grabs from Virtua Cop:

SVBTrHf.png

Shame that the visuals are very buggy when OpenGL is enabled, because the Saturn version of Virtua Cop looks pretty good at a higher resolution. Here's what the game looks like without OpenGL enabled on the same emulator:

wa01ruX.png

A lot of things are missing.

Few more screenshots:

Ttmz8wu.png

IJzycLB.jpg

vUDqr6F.png

Virtua Fighter 1:
RY3w7hC.png

YUxJO7v.png

Virtua Fighter 2:
ivSU4vn.png

OkwOT6K.png

Xbudz

Sonic Jam's Sonic World using Yabause in OpenGL:

vctNXdz.png

Yup, wrong aspect ratio again. But there is no real way to enforce a proper aspect ratio in fullscreen using Yabause it seems.

Ahh, I forgot to try Sonic Jam. Such a great compilation. That's too bad about the ground texture. Emulation is so weird.

So many CRT, 240p, and 4:3 "purists" here. Take it somewhere else folks and let this thread live or die on its own premise. *smh*

Thanks man, I'm adding this quote to the OP.

Peltz

I don't mind seeing these up rendered shots. But preferring 4:3 to stretched is hardly being a "purist."

Panzer Dragon Saga actually looks great on Android at higher resolution, though the text in menus does not display properly outside of software mode. Same issue with Dragon Force where the units are invisible with hardware mode.(using the GPD XD)

XanaviF30

It's not out of any love for 4:3, friend. I'd be 100% OK with widescreen shots provided that the aspect ratio is adjusted accordingly.

SVBTrHf.png

Shame that the visuals are very buggy when OpenGL is enabled, because the Saturn version of Virtua Cop looks pretty good at a higher resolution. Here's what the game looks like without OpenGL enabled on the same emulator:

wa01ruX.png

A lot of things are missing.

Few more screenshots:

Ttmz8wu.png

IJzycLB.jpg

vUDqr6F.png

Virtua Fighter 1:
RY3w7hC.png

YUxJO7v.png

Virtua Fighter 2:
ivSU4vn.png

OkwOT6K.png

There you go. These look incredible. Some more please.

Dunkley

SVBTrHf.png

wa01ruX.png

If I didn't see the first screenshot you could easily convince me that second screenshot is just 2D pixel art.

That's pretty rad.

kinn

Great thread. Loving the shots. PDZ looks really good as does Virtua Cop and VF1.

Any chance of seeing Last Bronx Or Virtual On? Oh and Virtua Racing?

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Can't you set your resolution to 1920x1440 before launching the emulator?

That's fine for games that display at 640x480 but still doesn't do you a lot of good for any other resolution like 352x224.

CeqSiNN.png

Edit: Clockwork Knight image was used because it's easy to verify the logo is a perfect circle if you blow it up and count the pixels.

Top Bottom