• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some info about Final Fantasy XV / Forum Q&A

Mediking

tumblr_inline_nx786vSEK91rwxmn0_500.jpg

The more and more I think about it.... I'm starting to think this is true. This situation reminds me of a certain somebody in Persona 4 who I suspected was doing "certain" actions and it turned out to be true. Think about it: "Prompto is the punching bag in the group but in reality... he's playing dumb and is smarter than all of the guys combined." Remember how in Episode Duscae where Ignis "accuses" Prompto of wrecking the car? Well if that was a hint that Prompto ACTUALLY did sabotage the car!!! Remember when Prompto rushed in deeper in the cave and got surrounded by monsters in Episode Duscae? To most people, he was just being an idiot but WHAT IF HE DID THAT ON PURPOSE?

TABATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go_Ly_Dow

A blurry Famitsu scan is always followed up by a higher res scan, then a reasonably lengthy interview.

Sometimes it also coincides with more interviews in other magazines like Dengeki Playstation.

Hopefully we don't have to wait long!

Ray Down

Banned

Interesting analysis from @LeonBlade in the MogNet thread:

"Very hard to see, I know. However, you can just make out GUARD and ASSAULT again, right? Notice that they both seem to have the circles this time, GUARD seems to be on the left, while ASSAULT seems to be on the right. This would imply that GUARD is actually on Square this time, while ASSAULT is on Circle.

Now, we know that Japan uses alternate Cross and Circle buttons for International because of how they view these shapes. So, for the English version it would be ASSAULT is on Cross.

These changes are VERY big for XV, because this means that (at least for whatever gameplay mode this is supposed to be) that there is no Guard stance like in Duscae. How do I know this? Well, think about it. How do you plan on holding the Square button and pressing Circle at the same time for parrying? It does not make sense! L1 is a very relaxed button able to be used with free control of both thumbs. The only way to accomplish this decently is with a claw grip or something similar, which would be very frustrating.

So, what do I think this means? I think that this means that Square might act more like Kingdom Hearts does with the block mode. I still think you will hold down Square to guard perhaps, but parrying hopefully will now be based on your actual collision with incoming attacks deflecting just like in Kingdom Hearts.

You can also see that the weapon windows also look different, which means that from the ATR teaser they have tweaked the UI, so this must be more recent than that.

Honestly, I am very excited to see if my speculation is reality, and if it is I will be extremely excited for XV. The only major problems I had going forward were things like Block/Parry and with the weapon system, ever since the free weapon switching system was announced I was relieved/happy, this might bring me back to how I felt back when Versus XIII was first announced in terms of how happy I was with the battle system.

I believe that this might be one of those combat mode features that was mentioned previously, we will have to see.

ATR PLEASE HURRY UP!"​

Like the magic bit that depending on the area could have an effect you didn't intial intended.

All of this sounds good, we just need the ATR for footage to solidify it.

ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY

MayMay

Banned
Id remove that if I were you, not allowed to link scans

Just wanted to say that it's not happening. Not-Ezio has long hair up to his shoulders.

._.

Oh! I know. Time skip! Or, hair extensions. The dream isnt dead.
The dream is dead

Mortemis

Banned

This is hype. I really didn't like the way guard was set up in the demo, so this way (if true) would be awesome. With manual weapon changing in, I'm much more excited for this game.
The new UI is more slick then the last edited UI. It does look like a hybrid of the last 2 UIs, and I really like it. I really hope they give us control on what shows up on the HUD though, I don't want to have the weapons mapping showing up every fight, and it'd be awesome if I can get rid of the mini-map (not a big fan of those) and even get rid of the health bars when not in combat. I doubt it, but it'd be nice.

M_Night, I didn't think I'd ever say this again, but if you're conducting another hype train, count me in!

The hype intensifies. Can't wait to see everything in motion, grasses set ablaze and everything. Square nails character animations, but those particle effects are unmatched. The possibilities of other types of magic changing the landscape like water, thunder, tornado, holy and meteor-- too much I tell you, too much.

edit: was the whole "there's a traitor in your party" thing another bad translation or a rumor that caught on quick? If it's true, Ignis would be the most obvious suspect but, yeah, it's totally Prompto.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is hype. I really didn't like the way guard was set up in the demo, so this way (if true) would be awesome. With manual weapon changing in, I'm much more excited for this game.
The new UI is more slick then the last edited UI. It does look like a hybrid of the last 2 UIs, and I really like it. I really hope they give us control on what shows up on the HUD though, I don't want to have the weapons mapping showing up every fight, and it'd be awesome if I can get rid of the mini-map (not a big fan of those) and even get rid of the health bars when not in combat. I doubt it, but it'd be nice.

M_Night, I didn't think I'd ever say this again, but if you're conducting another hype train, count me in!

Come March I will issue another rallying call before the event. Just like Gamescom where it all went to shit, but this time....things will be different.

BELIEVE!

DeSolos

There's no indication of "Hard" or "Soft" lock on in the battle screenshots, just a HP bar for the targeted enemy. Perhaps they finally simplified the lock on system?

Also, those new wilderness areas give me major FF8/FF6 vibes.

artsi

Interesting how it has went from "Tabata pls no more ATR's" to maximum hype again when they actually haven't shown anything for a while :p

Mortemis

Banned
There's no indication of "Hard" or "Soft" lock on in the battle screenshots, just a HP bar for the targeted enemy. Perhaps they finally simplified the lock on system?

God I hope they simplify it, it was unnecessarily difficult. I still don't get the point of the soft-lock, real question, was it ever helpful in any situation?

I don't see any need for any lock-on but hard-lock.

The more and more I think about it.... I'm starting to think this is true. This situation reminds me of a certain somebody in Persona 4 who I suspected was doing "certain" actions and it turned out to be true. Think about it: "Prompto is the punching bag in the group but in reality... he's playing dumb and is smarter than all of the guys combined." Remember how in Episode Duscae where Ignis "accuses" Prompto of wrecking the car? Well if that was a hint that Prompto ACTUALLY did sabotage the car!!! Remember when Prompto rushed in deeper in the cave and got surrounded by monsters in Episode Duscae? To most people, he was just being an idiot but WHAT IF HE DID THAT ON PURPOSE?

TABATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Jar Jar of FFXV

Ray Down

Banned

Hopefully, I never liked there lock-on system

Koozek

God I hope they simplify it, it was unnecessarily difficult. I still don't get the point of the soft-lock, real question, was it ever helpful in any situation?

I don't see any need for any lock-on but hard-lock.
Agreed. Totally unnecessary and just takes up a whole button. I like The Witcher 3's lock-on system, as it automatically stays on the nearest enemy you've been attacking. I never had a moment where the AI chose the wrong target or so. Additionally you can press R3 for a hard lock-on (like in Episode Duscae).

Oh, and while I'm at it: I've finally decided to give TW3 a try after seeing all those GOTY awards and praise here. And man, what can I say? This is the first WRPG - unless Mass Effect counts as one - in my whole life that I loved and are going to finish after having given so many of them a chance since forever. The characters aren't as lifeless and stiff as in your typical WRPG and ooze personality. The main quest and even secondary quest design is pretty creative and varied (the third category are the generic fetch/kill quests). The writing is great. I don't even have a problem with the battle-system as much as I expected to after hearing all this hyperbolic statements on GAF.

Why do I mention this in a FFXV thread? Well, Tabata said this a few weeks ago:

"Tabata and his team have spent a great deal of time studying western open-world games. They consider The Witcher III to be a recent genre high point."​

And now that I've also seen the light it makes me hopeful that they take inspiration from a few of TW3's strengths.

Also, I'm now a believer of looping background music (plus ambient sounds) for FFXV :D TW3 has a wonderful OST. Every region and the main city have their own mellow main- and Folk-y battle-theme. The battle-theme is faded in seamlessly with a intro-, main- and outro-stem being cued accordingly. This system works really well, even with long distances of walking or riding. The music never gets annoying and it switches up often enough when you change areas. I hope FFXV takes a cue from that and doesn't make the mistake of having songs that are too short and grand/epic play for too long. TW3 has the perfect balance of melodic and ambient. I hope FFXV will have some more mellow songs for the areas you spend a lot of time in. Can't wait to hear more.

I'll stop before it's becoming a TW3 LTTP :D To anyone here who hasn't already played it, give it a try!

DeSolos

Also, I'm now a believer of looping background music (plus ambient sounds) for FFXV :D TW3 has a wonderful OST. Every region and the main city have their own mellow main- and Folk-y battle-theme. The battle-theme is faded in seamlessly with a intro-, main- and outro-stem being cued accordingly. This system works really well, even with long distances of walking or riding. The music never gets annoying and it switches up often enough when you change areas. I hope FFXV takes a cue from that and doesn't make the mistake of having songs that are too short and grand/epic play for too long. TW3 has the perfect balance of melodic and ambient. I hope FFXV will have some more mellow songs for the areas you spend a lot of time in. Can't wait to hear more.

I'll stop before it's becoming a TW3 LTTP :D To anyone here who hasn't already played it, give it a try!

https://youtu.be/6UARM4q7hHU

I like how FF7 handled it in the main theme. There are so many different "movements" of varying intensity. Plus at almost 7 minutes long, it's nearly impossible to hear all of them in one sitting without entering a battle(unless you're just sitting there intentionally).

Wagram

That magic news is worthy of a new thread. Sounds pretty cool. So does that speculation on the button changes to be honest. I really do believe Square has been holding the cards very close on purpose.

KoopaTheCasual

Agreed. Totally unnecessary and just takes up a whole button. I like The Witcher 3's lock-on system, as it automatically stays on the nearest enemy you've been attacking. I never had a moment where the AI chose the wrong target or so. Additionally you can press R3 for a hard lock-on (like in Episode Duscae).

Oh, and while I'm at it: I've finally decided to give TW3 a try after seeing all those GOTY awards and praise here. And man, what can I say? This is the first WRPG - unless Mass Effect counts as one - in my whole life that I loved and are going to finish after having given so many of them a chance since forever. The characters aren't as lifeless and stiff as in your typical WRPG and ooze personality. The main quest and even secondary quest design is pretty creative and varied (the third category are the generic fetch/kill quests). The writing is great. I don't even have a problem with the battle-system as much as I expected to after hearing all this hyperbolic statements on GAF.

"Tabata and his team have spent a great deal of time studying western open-world games. They consider The Witcher III to be a recent genre high point."​

And now that I've also seen the light it makes me hopeful that they take inspiration from a few of TW3's strengths.

I feel this isn't something TW3 does alone. That honestly sounds exactly like Kingdom Hearts, and how each area has a different battle theme that is structured off of the melodic background music and fades in and out naturally.

Koozek

I feel this isn't something TW3 does alone. That honestly sounds exactly like Kingdom Hearts, and how each area has a different battle theme that is structured off of the melodic background music and fades in and out naturally.

Well, if you want to go further back Ocarina of Time probably was the first to have different cues fading-in dynamically when enemies approached. TW3 is the first open-world game I played with straight-up looped music in the background most of the time, or at least the first where I instantly noticed that there's music playing constantly. Obviously GTAV has its radio (and great, dynamic music during action sequences) and I don't recall Red Dead Redemption having dedicated loops outside of a few recurring short stems every 10 minutes or so (real songs did play in very special moments to a great effect). Last year, before I played TW3, I voiced my worries that simply having a song per area on loop in FFXV could be tiring as hell when you spend so much time in the same large area. A compromise I would have liked was having a few minutes of silence with ambient sounds only after a certain number of consecutive loops.

Go_Ly_Dow

I kinda thought Duscae made it obvious the route they would go with sound design.

The main map would remain ambient and key locations on the map (Chocobo Farm and Gas Station in Duscae) had BGM.

Koozek

I kinda thought Duscae made it obvious the route they would go with sound design.

The main map would remain ambient and key locations on the map (Chocobo Farm and Gas Station in Duscae) had BGM.

Nah, it was already confirmed by Tabata that there will be music during exploration, too, with the music changing in some situations like riding a chocobo.

From the June 2015 ATR:

#2: “More sound effects. There is no music in the field sections of the demo, just environmental sounds. We want more sound effects.”

Tabata: “The sound team is currently working on that, and what they’re looking to do is program the environmental sounds to change dynamically through AI control. And they are currently working on getting the drivers and the AI setup in place, to make that kind of dynamic change possible. So if it all works, then we should be able to create a system where the sounds that surround the player will shift organically as the environment around them changes. Even if this isn’t possible, then at the very least we will have it so the effects change when you go to different areas.”

What about background music?

Tabata: “For the demo, we only included music during combat and events. So we will be adding more variety for the full game. And because it’s clearly an open world game, things like having the BGM start up again after being silent are very much a genre standard. So we weant to do what we can to meet those standards. I guess that, compared to the environment effects, the level of geekery is probably a bit lower but, rest assured we will be putting lots of effort into the BGM, as well.”

From the TGS 2015 Q&A:

EDIT: Even better, see the ATR itself:
https://youtu.be/YpnzfHBVJvo?t=1h17m28s

In that ATR he responds to a question about the lack of field music as follows (I copied the official English subtitles):
Tabata: "I think this is referring to the lack of field music. In the final product, there will be music when you discover something. Any BGM that's currently playing will change in tone to match that situation etc. For example, the Chocobo theme will change when you dash and the like. These are the kinds of things we're planning to do with the music. It won't be a case of silenceuntil combat begins. So there's no need to worry. There'll be more variety to the music and it will be more enjoyable."​

Go_Ly_Dow

Nah, it was already confirmed by Tabata that there will be music during exploration, too, with the music changing in some situations like riding a chocobo.

From the June 2015 ATR:

#2: “More sound effects. There is no music in the field sections of the demo, just environmental sounds. We want more sound effects.”

Tabata: “The sound team is currently working on that, and what they’re looking to do is program the environmental sounds to change dynamically through AI control. And they are currently working on getting the drivers and the AI setup in place, to make that kind of dynamic change possible. So if it all works, then we should be able to create a system where the sounds that surround the player will shift organically as the environment around them changes. Even if this isn’t possible, then at the very least we will have it so the effects change when you go to different areas.”

What about background music?

Tabata: “For the demo, we only included music during combat and events. So we will be adding more variety for the full game. And because it’s clearly an open world game, things like having the BGM start up again after being silent are very much a genre standard. So we weant to do what we can to meet those standards. I guess that, compared to the environment effects, the level of geekery is probably a bit lower but, rest assured we will be putting lots of effort into the BGM, as well.”

From the TGS 2015 Q&A:

https://youtu.be/YpnzfHBVJvo?t=1h17m28s

Lovely.

This is all needed.

In regards to the magazine scan - where is the Magitek Armor?!?

I can't see it for whatever reason and it seems obvious to everyone else. It's not the beetle thing near the bottom right and I've read its the very top picture with the fire - but how could anyone make out Magitek Armor in that pic?!?

I can't see it for whatever reason and it seems obvious to everyone else. It's not the beetle thing near the bottom right and I've read its the very top picture with the fire - but how could anyone make out Magitek Armor in that pic?!?

I Sure as hell searched hard, but I couldn't find it. It must be a preview of what will be in the article coming up, but not included in the pic

This all reinforces my belief that W3 is the best WRPG for JRPG fans. I was also hyped when I heard the XV dev team were admirers,

benzy

You can only see the feet and groin area of the Magitek armor. Right above the fire on the upper right.

You can see the same part of it here.

giphy.gif

Ray Down

Banned

Pretty sure its the machine you can't properly see in the top most image.

Probably saving the rest of its design for the ATR.

Top Bottom