• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with satisfying 2 handed sword combat

Artdayne

HarmfulSameBluefintuna.gif

SimplisticNextArrowworm.gif

Wow, this looks cool. I'm surprised I've never heard of it before.

CHC

So all you people saying "Monster Hunter" is there a a particular MH title that does it really well or do they all? Curious about trying.

Syril

So all you people saying "Monster Hunter" is there a a particular MH title that does it really well or do they all? Curious about trying.
All the regular Monster Hunter games build on the previous ones so it's really all of them. MH2 is where the greatswords really came into their own because that's when they gained their charge attack, and 4 Ultimate is the best they've ever been with their new combo abilities. Can't speak for Monster Hunter X because it's probably going to stay in Japan until the inevitable Ultimate version.

Yeah, this thread has piqued my interest. Which one is this from?
They were introduced in Monster Hunter 3, and they've been in every game since.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The most current Monster Hunter is 4 Ultimate on 3DS. It's probably the best one.

The last console MH was MH3 Ultimate on Wii U. Also good, if the previous version was any indication.

ike_

I bought the dlc for bloodborne but haven't touched it. Need to get back into the game but I'm stuck on Lorgorious so f my life. Thanks

You can get the pizza cutter in the DLC without beating any bosses. It's not far from the first lamp you find before the first big boss.

Also Logarius is jerks. You don't owe him anything. Leave his ass and come back later.

Go for the latest MH4 Ultimate on 3DS. Only reason I didn't say Monster Hunter in my post was for variety, too easy a choice...Enjoy it.

Aenima

Bloodborne and Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Got that weapon early on and never replaced it. I'm not even a huge 2 handed weapon guy but it was too much fun to put down

This. I never used a great sword in soul games, but Ludwig's Holy Blade was just pure awesome. Transforming it in a small faster short sword is also good for pvp.

Q8D3vil

the sword in Shadow warrior (2013) was so fucking good you actually dont give a shit about guns in that game even though they were crazy as well

Overside

Banned
Just a heads up for people impressed by the dragons dogma and monster hunter gifs.

Yes its awesome.

0N6tnDq.gif

Yes it feels amazing. The satisfaction is immense

But the reason it is so satisfying, and it feels so good, is because you are the one actually doing it.

What that means is:
There is no lock on. (There is an option now to orientate the camera towards the monster)

The computer does not auto orientate your character when you push the attack button. You have 360 degrees to aim with. You can miss a gigantic enemy that is right in front of you, with a gigantic sword the size of a car. The game will not turn your character the right direction for you.

The computer does not auto position your character to the correct distance. Each weapon has its own length. If it doesn't reach, you won't hit. The game will not slide your chacter and the monster to the right distance for you.

The monsters will not bend over backwards into a choreographed animation to make you look cool so you can giggle and clap your hands at how cool your character on screen is as he goes into a thirty second fancy kill animation. The monsters arent in the game to pretend you are a baadass.

They are there to fuck you up.

You will not be immediately good when you pick up the controller. You will have to learn how to play.

Becoming competent at this manner of gameplay, may very well ruin many other 7th/8th gen games you used to enjoy. They will become hollow, victory will no longer satisfy as you will no longer find your opponents formidable, or even worthy.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^ Damn.

That awesome gif is made legendary by the Cha-Cha running in just in time to "catch" the Rathalos... xD

Mephala

For those looking to jump into MH I would recommend MH4U as it includes climbing/mounting monsters to topple them. It also brings in the Charge Blade and Insect Glaive which are quite fun. The added attacks to the older weapon styles are also pretty cool. If you must game on console MH3U is the only option at the moment and it isn't bad at all. The game is glorious and has more than enough content to keep you going for a long while and the multiplayer is still active.
There is also Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP/iOS), this is a bit more dated. The mechanics are still very good and a lot of fun but don't expect much multiplayer and some monsters have very questionable hitboxes on certain attacks.

Also, guys why are we pretending MH only has 1 type of 2 handed swords? We have Greatswords and Longswords (and hammers, switch axes (from 3 up) Chargeblades (4)).

All the weapons in MH have some great feedback to them. They are all brilliant and fun to play once you work out how to use them effectively.
Longsword
uruSfgB.gif

Mfamse3.gif

And here is a gif of the sword and shield from MH4U since this thread sprung from the Vs SNS thread. The SNS feels fantastic as well and is quite fun to play.
AqNxG6v.gif

And here is a lance from MH4U again just to round things off.
u6IdfIT.gif

For those interested in MH combat and MH beginners I highly recommend watching some youtube weapon guides.
Here are two I used to quickly pickup on whats new/changed for longsword and greatswords when I went from 3U to 4U.

manfestival

250px-Runecover.jpg

I will never forget all of the hours I had in multiplayer in this game. Swinging away with 2h weapons. It felt so good and so right. I kinda will that another game like this was created. Its kinda like how jedi academy felt too

squall23

I find the great thing about Monster Hunter's combat isn't just the satisfaction of learning and hitting at the right time, but that every weapon is equally useful in any situation.

You want to use a slow heavy 2-handed sword like Guts? Go do that.
You want to use twin swords? Go do that.
You want to use a polearm? Go do that.

redcrayon

I find the great thing about Monster Hunter's combat isn't just the satisfaction of learning and hitting at the right time, but that every weapon is equally useful in any situation.

You want to use a slow heavy 2-handed sword like Guts? Go do that.
You want to use twin swords? Go do that.
You want to use a polearm? Go do that.
Each weapon has a pretty deep combo system of it's own, that's what I like about it. Switching weapons can make it feel like a completely different game. I must have put in hundreds of hours with both Greatsword and Lance, before starting Charge Blade, and I'm still looking at Switch Axe and thinking, hmm, do i have the time to master that too! Its cool that Monster Hunter is getting some recognition for great combat.

So many people in this thread who clearly didn't play/learn Monster Hunter.

Souls and Bloodborne are acceptable answers though.

3/4 posts in this thread are about MH. What a lot of people have not played (console only people) is Mount & Blade. You are leading your cavalry of 300 horsemen in battle against a huge army and later you assault a castle with a few hundred archers. There's nothing like that game otherwise I would have played it. :p

SomTervo

Exanima?

Anyone?

Totally procedurally generated. You control the speed and breadth of the swing, and the leg positioning. The intelligent muscle AI does the rest. Not a single canned animation in the game.

It. Is. Fucking. Awesome.

Souls-style difficulty curve and style, too.

ThirdDeafeningCoqui.gif

18000D9791A8380F8BF3EAF648D2802F66F2C166

IQCvHAH.gif

Hah. Beat me to it.

You can get the pizza cutter in the DLC without beating any bosses. It's not far from the first lamp you find before the first big boss.

Also Logarius is jerks. You don't owe him anything. Leave his ass and come back later.
Thanks for the advise. Don't have to tell me twice. Late!

redcrayon

Is this limited to 3D titles only? If not there's a lot of 2D titles that I can think of.
Heh, I pretty much exclusively use two-handed weapons in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, as the overhead swings and range were effective against aerial enemies, those above you and those in otherwise awkward positions to reach. Nice sense of weight compared to the incredibly fast smaller weapons too.

Mephala

3/4 posts in this thread are about MH. What a lot of people have not played (console only people) is Mount & Blade. You are leading your cavalry of 300 horsemen in battle against a huge army and later you assault a castle with a few hundred archers. There's nothing like that game otherwise I would have played it. :p

I agree with you but I feel like the satisfaction is different. It is also hard to find a good (balanced in skill) duel in MP. The thrill of taking a fortress or cleaving a horse from the ground is fantastic but the hit feedback and animations are certainly a bit dated and not nearly as satisfying. I still think it has some of the best combat in gaming but it is certainly aged and can be a bit hard to get into. I also don't think it does 2 handed sword particularly well over other weapons. In fact other than the weapon's stats there isn't too much difference.

I agree with you but I feel like the satisfaction is different. It is also hard to find a good (balanced in skill) duel in MP. The thrill of taking a fortress or cleaving a horse from the ground is fantastic but the hit feedback and animations are certainly a bit dated and not nearly as satisfying. I still think it has some of the best combat in gaming but it is certainly aged and can be a bit hard to get into. I also don't think it does 2 handed sword particularly well over other weapons. In fact other than the weapon's stats there isn't too much difference.

You are right, it certainly has dated mechanics and I really can't wait for M&B2. As for the specific 2 handed sword, yea there are other games which do that better but I still think people should try the game for all the things that it gets right. (which are a lot)

Top Bottom