• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Zootopia |OT| 21 Hopps Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

kYeN3Z3.jpg

Introduction
We’ve gone fourteen months without a release from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and after taking a detour into Marvel territory, they return with something a bit more their style. In the vein of Robin Hood, Zootopia is an awesome city populated with several anthropomorphized animals. Confused? Well, here's an explanation video. Got it? Sweet.

Plot
Judy Hopps is Zootopia’s Police Department’s first ever rabbit officer. Facing discrimination from the work force, she strives to prove herself, despite being only assigned as a traffic cop. However, she’s put on the case of a missing otter, and ends up teaming up with Nick Wilde, a con artist fox, to find the otter. Unfortunately, they stumble onto a bigger mess than they could ever imagine; an outbreak of animals going feral.

Release Dates - note that it opens tomorrow in Europe, despite not opening in the US until March.

General Information
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Distributed by Walt Disney Studios.
Running time: 108 minutes
Language - English
Directors: Byron Howard (Bolt, Tangled), Rich Moore (Wreck-It Ralph, supervising director for first run of Futurama), Jared Bush (creator of Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero, creative leadership on Big Hero 6
Producer: Clark Spencer (Wreck-It Ralph, Winnie the Pooh))
Written by: Jared Bush, Phil Johnston (Wreck-It Ralph, Cedar Rapids)
Music by: Michael Giacchino (Inside Out, Up)

Characters

Officer Judy Hopps

Judy Hopps is the first bunny ever to join the Zootopia police force. She jumps at the chance to crack a case, although teaming up with a con artist wasn’t exactly her plan. Her character creation was inspired by Leslie Knope and Superman, and she is a no-nonsense, yet optimistic rabbit, despite her low status in the Zootopia population. Judy Hopps is voiced by Ginnifer Goodwin.

Nick Wilde

Nick Wilde is a charming, small-time, con artist fox with a big mouth and a lot of strong opinions. However, when a certain rabbit cop outsmarts him, he ends up helping her solve a major mystery. His character was inspired by Cary Grant, and he’s pretty slick although his cynicism can get the better of him. Nick Wilde is voiced by Jason Bateman.

Gazelle

Gazelle is Zootopia’s most popular celebrity. She believes in true social justice, and for Zootopia to become a more accepting, loving place. She wants equality among the castes of the Zootopia and uses her art to express that. Her character was inspired by Adele. Gazelle is voiced by Shakira.

Chief Bogo

Chief Bogo leads the Zootopia police force. He’s a very prejudiced buffalo, believing the only animals worthy of being on his elite squad are predators and/or heavyweights. He barely wanted to hire Judy Hopps in the first place, and now that she’s there, he’s not gonna be polite about it. Chief Bogo is voiced by Idris Elba.

Mayor Lionheart

Mayor Leodore Lionheart leads Zootopia with fair popularity. He’s a noble lion who believes in the inherent Zootopian dream: anyone can be anything. Judy looks up to him for this viewpoint, and by all accounts, he’s an excellent mayor. His character was inspired by Mufasa. Mayor Lionheart is voiced by J.K. Simmons.

Clawhauser

Officer Benjamin Clawhauser is your typical cop. He only loves two things: Gazelle and donuts. Thankfully, he only works as a radio dispatcher, but he’s good friends with Judy. He always greets people with a smile, which is typically reciprocated despite his messy exterior. Clawhauser is voiced by Nate Torrence.

Bellwether

Dawn Bellwether is Mayor Lionheart’s assistant. She’s a sweet sheep, but unfortunately, is often afraid to assert herself. She’s frequently behind on her work, but that doesn’t stop her cheerful demeanor and eagerness to please. Bellwether is voiced by Jenny Slate.

Bonnie and Stu Hopps

Bonnie Hopps loves and supports her daughter, but is a little nervous about Judy moving to Zootopia to become a big-city police officer. Stu Hopps is a carrot farmer from Bunnyburrow. Along with Mrs. Hopps, he is worried about Judy moving to Zootopia and the untrustworthy big-city mammals who live there. They are conservative folk, but they love Judy and their other 275 children very much. Bonnie and Stu Hopps are voiced by Bonnie Hunt and Don Lake.

Reviews

3YQCq6m.gif

MayMay

Banned
Can't wait to go see the movie.. Looks like a good time, like most Disney movies. Still 3 more weeks here though.
Furries man.

This is out tomorrow in Europe but not until March in NA? What is this bollocks.

Germany has to wait until March as well, so not all of Europe.

Toxi

Banned
Mayor Lionheart
[
VF3yn4R.jpg

Mayor Leodore Lionheart leads Zootopia with fair popularity. He’s a noble lion who believes in the inherent Zootopian dream: anyone can be anything. Judy looks up to him for this viewpoint, and by all accounts, he’s an excellent mayor. His character was inspired by Mufasa. Mayor Lionheart is voiced by J.K. Simmons.
This guy is totally gonna be the villain, because movies are predictable.

KC Denton

This guy is totally gonna be the real villain, because movies are predictable.

Do you actually want to know what happens?

Actual spoiler here, don't click if you don't want to get the movie spoiled:
He is framed as the culprit, but the actual villain is Bellwether, who is making predator citizens of Zootopia go berserk through a substance from a toxic flower in order to spark fear against predators in Zootopia.

Toxi

Banned

He is framed as the culprit, but the actual villain is Bellwether, who is making predator citizens of Zootopia go berserk through a substance from a toxic flower in order to spark fear against predators in Zootopia.
................................................I knew it.

Caught a preview screening?

Finaj

This looks good, Even if Zootopia doesn't work out, Disney is still giving us Moana this year and they're always on top of princess movies.

JSevere

Don't know how I made it through last year without a new Walt Disney Animation Studios film. Been excited for this for awhile (check the avvy), can't wait to see it. :)

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Just came back from seeing it. Super enjoyable! Storywise it was okay, but it blows other feature animations out of the water with the jokes and the visuals. It's really breathtaking at times! Pacing is really good as well.

Animation-wise it's superb. The animators have translated each animals' characteristics so well!

For anyone wondering, the 3d is mostly really subtle, and while it works well, it also doesn't really add anything. (I usually go see my movies in 2d, but I didn't have a choice here in Belgium, unless if I went to the dubbed version).

Osahi

Just saw it and liked it a lot. Story is nothing special and somewhat predictable, but it is loaded with fun jokes and little details. The animation is superb, and i'll see it again just for everything I missed (there are so many subtle facial expressions, often on characters that are not speaking, so you tend not to watch them). Also, the backgrounds are ridled with fun winks
zuber cracked me up

Could have done with 100% less Shakira though (why does every animated movie that isn't pixar need an annoying, by the books pop song?), though her character leeds to one fun running gag.

Also, best part was spoiled in a online scene
sloths, but they still cracked me up

This is a thread about a family film, folks. Let's try to keep the commentary in the same range. You know what I'm talking about.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I want to see this so bad. Come to the US now!!!! Characters are adorable and the plot seems great. Also that sloth was amazing.

DonMigs85

I'll probably see this next week. I just find it weird that sapient birds, reptiles and amphibians apparently don't exist in this world. What do the predators eat? Lab-grown meat? Tofu?

GamerJM

Banned
This is a thread about a family film, folks. Let's try to keep the commentary in the same range. You know what I'm talking about.

I haven't really posted in any family film OTs and you're being pretty unspecific here, so uh....can you please specify what you're talking about? Because I don't know. I feel like you're referencing something from another topic that I didn't read.

DonMigs85

I haven't really posted in any family film OTs and you're being pretty unspecific here, so uh....can you please specify what you're talking about? Because I don't know. I feel like you're referencing something from another topic that I didn't read.

Sexy furry stuff perhaps?

Ah yes, the posts are all gone now. The missing posts were sexually explicit in reference to the characters in the film.

Keep it cleanish and we're all good.

The_Kid

I may or may not have already bought all of the tsum tsums, the playset, some plushes, the artbook, and some figures. >.>

I really love how Nick seems to try and make Judy uncomfortable (from what I've seen in the trailers), goading her on. I just love his facial expressions.

Hope this turns out good. Love myself a new Disney movie.

(Obligatory mention of wanting hand drawn animation back)

But nonetheless, looking forward to this.

Well, it's 'Zoomania' in Germany.

I also don't get why they change the titles here. I mean it's not even an attemp to translate it.

Man, for some reason, this just has not clicked with me. Disney Animation has been doing good work lately, but nothing about this movie has grabbed me. Hope to see some positive reviews.

Luigi87

Ever since I saw that trailer with the sloth Flash I have been sold on this movie. I really, really want to see it. The animation is gorgeous and it just looks fun.

Santiako

I watched this yesterday. The movie is pretty good, but it's not going to be remembered as a classic or anything.
The main characters chemistry is amazing though and it is the best thing the movie has going for it, the bunny is also the most adorable disney lead in forever. There's a lot for the parents there like backgrounds being filled with winks (hoof locker, zuber and many more) and a lengthy reference to Breaking Bad.
Even though everyone saw it a million times, the sloth scene was by far the biggest laugh of the movie.

Also, can a mod edit the title to include Zootropolis in there, I couldnt find the thread until I remembered that it had two different names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom