• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 Earthquake hits Fairview, OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was on the ride for that one today.

I'm glad I wasn't in my office--a 4th floor in an ancient building.

the 3.7ish one on the 11th was bad enough up there.

ElRenoRaven

Yup my mom felt it while she was in the car while I ran into the store. She was like I thought someone was banging on the car. This state has to do something about fracking. Hell we're letting other states bring their waste water here. It's fucking insane.

SeanC

FYI:

earthquakesokfb.png

Fracking was let loose in Oklahoma in 2008. Went from two earthquakes a year average to...well you see it.

I love how the governor signed into law that no city, town or county can ban fracking then a month later say "Oh yea....looks like fracking's fuckin' shit up."

Brilliant.

Thankfully they're backpeddling now I think and looking to regulate.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FYI, earthquakes in Oklahoma are related to waste water well injections. Not fracking as commonly misunderstood.

Waste water well injections are a favorite tool of the oil industry, but the process of fracking doesn't produce strong earthquakes.
But waste water is a byproduct of fracking . . .

But waste water is a byproduct of fracking . . .

It's a byproduct of a lot of things. Not trying to be snarky or anything. I'm just saying that the actual thing causing earthqaukes (of significant magnitude*) can be regulated and stopped if the people in power were so motivated.

I remember in one of the last earthquake threads some people were downplaying the OK quakes because they weren't over 5.0. Okay.

I live in Edmond. Woke up to this.
Hey I'm in Edmond too! Not sure if I felt this one, but I did feel an earthquake today. I've gotten so used to them. :\

Do those other things make waste water cause earthquakes as well?

The waste water injection causes these earthquakes. Waste water generated from conventional and unconventional (i.e. hydraulic fracture) wells is pumped back into deep rock formations. Waste water injections have been used since the 60's, but only recently have come to prominence due to earthquake swarms in Oklahoma and Ohio.

If you banned fracking tomorrow waste water injections wouldn't stop. That's the distinction I want to make.

Does Oklahoma have any sort of earthquake resistant infastructure like I know for sure California does? A 6.0 may destroy the state...

SeanC

If you banned fracking tomorrow waste water injections wouldn't stop. That's the distinction I want to make.

The waste waster injections would decrease significantly and therefore the earthquakes would as well is the point. It's a correlation. The allowance of fracking and thus the need for more disposal has led to more earthquakes. A to B to C. They are not only becoming more prominent they're becoming stronger.

Does Oklahoma have any sort of earthquake resistant infastructure like I know for sure California does? A 6.0 may destroy the state...

No. A lot of buildings in the state are very old.

The waste waster injections would decrease significantly and therefore the earthquakes would as well is the point. It's a correlation. The allowance of fracking and thus the need for more disposal has led to more earthquakes. A to B to C. They are not only becoming more prominent they're becoming stronger.

You can keep fracking while eliminating waste water injections though.

Fracking has been a victim of a pretty large misinformation campaign, and I think that it's important for people to knowledgeable about it. I am just trying to provide context that is often missing from a drive by anti-fracking comment.

SeanC

You can keep fracking while eliminating waste water injections though.

Fracking has been a victim of a pretty large misinformation campaign, and I think that it's important for people to knowledgeable about it. I am just trying to provide context that is often missing from a drive by anti-fracking comment.

I get that, but they've been telling the fracking companies in Oklahoma to address the waste water injecting issue that's linked to a 500% increase of earthquakes. They aren't even when they've been told to. It's still a correlation.

It's not a drive-by anti-fracking comment. I hate the way the governor has handled this more than anything. I'm not so much pissed at the companies just doing their job as much as am with the state's government not checking what that job might entail and ensuring the safety of people (among the many other things that make it statistically the worst state to live in. ) They jumped right in without a second thought. They Okd the fracking with the waste-water injecting and now won't ban it, so the fracking companies keep on doing what they're doing.

Is there an alternative to the waste water injection that fracking companies are doing? If so, why are they not implementing that when it's been linked by several sources? It's their byproduct so I would assume they have other ways to get rid of it.

Is there an alternative to the waste water injection that fracking companies are doing? If so, why are they not implementing that when it's been linked by several sources? It's their byproduct so I would assume they have other ways to get rid of it.

You can treat the waste water to remove the contaminants, and reuse it for drilling purposes or just into the watershed. It's just been easier and cheaper to pump into deep wells.

Deep well injection has already been banned in some places, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that type of infrastructure spring up (assuming cheap oil doesn't destroy US energy sector).

Garlador

Was pretty big. No major damage, but it shook a few pictures off my wall, and a few of my models and figurines took a tumble.

Uhyve

FYI, earthquakes in Oklahoma are related to waste water well injections. Not fracking as commonly misunderstood.

Waste water well injections are a favorite tool of the oil industry, but the process of fracking doesn't produce strong earthquakes.

EDIT: USGS:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php
Whynotboth.gif

Regulate the hell out of all of it, if any of that crap started happening in my area, I'd want it stopped. And I mean really, earthquakes are probably pretty low on peoples issues with frakking.

I remember in one of the last earthquake threads some people were downplaying the OK quakes because they weren't over 5.0. Okay.

Hey I'm in Edmond too! Not sure if I felt this one, but I did feel an earthquake today. I've gotten so used to them. :
West Edmond here. Didn't feel anything but also use to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom