• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America to hold Media Summit on Feb. 24

JaseMath

DeathbyVolcano said:
What the hell makes you think that.
Because, other than Yoshi, it looks like more of the same...?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, SMG is my Game of the Generation (thus far). I don't know how comfortable I am with Nintendo's current Mario overload, plus I feel like 3D Mario's should come around once in a generation.

Green Scar said:
I never understand the Minish Cap hate.

Because the game sucked?

Want a long winded explanation?

The dungeons are piss easy. The final dungeon (not the castle) was literally a straight line obstacle course. it was hands down the easiest Zelda dungeon ever made.

The world is crappy and the minish idea turned out to be nothing. The only area in the entire game where the minish ability was actually used intelligently was the town and one section of the fire dungeon. Otherwise, turning small only allows you to enter a straight path or some minor shit.

The kin stones unlocked more kin stones that unlocks more kin stone that unlocked more kin stone that unlocks more kin stones that unlocks a treasure chest of rupees.

The items were crappy, although the Gust Jar was kinda cool and had a few uses.

The only thing I liked about the game was the sword combat.

EzLink

Banned
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BUTT BUTT BUTT OFFICIAL PR RELEASE

In the early days of Hyrule, there was a menace so evil, so twisted, and so disturbed that the realms began to bow to this villain out of fear... fear of losing their rear ends.

Take control of your favorite hero once again as he battles through hordes of enemies and solves mind bending puzzles in order to save everyone's butt. Literally. And who's butt is better to save first than your own? In an innovative twist that only the creative masters at Nintendo could think of, you start the game with your own posterior missing. Join Link as he rides his scooter (standing up, of course!) throughout the lands to collect the three sacred toilet paper rolls that power up his mightly plunger... but will this plunger be enough to destroy the enemy and stop everyone from perpetual constipation? Come this November, you will be able to find out for yourself. But watch out, because you never know who might be behind your behind, ready to strike...

TunaLover

I like Minish Cap, it was a light-heart Zelda during my exhausting Zelda marathon, it was pretty fun, loved the characters and the items.

EzLink said:
In the early days of Hyrule, there was a menace so evil, so twisted, and so disturbed that the realms began to bow to this villain out of fear... fear of losing their rear ends.

Take control of your favorite hero once again as he battles through hordes of enemies and solves mind bending puzzles in order to save everyone's butt. Literally. And who's butt is better to save first than your own? In an innovative twist that only the creative masters at Nintendo could think of, you start the game with your own posterior missing. Join Link as he rides his scooter (standing up, of course!) throughout the lands to collect the three sacred toilet paper rolls that power up his mightly plunger... but will this plunger be enough to destroy the enemy and stop everyone from perpetual constipation? Come this November, you will be able to find out for yourself. But watch out, because you never know who might be behind your behind, ready to strike...

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BUTT BUTT BUTT OFFICIAL PR RELEASE

:lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JasonMCG said:
EDIT: Don't get me wrong, SMG is my Game of the Generation (thus far). I don't know how comfortable I am with Nintendo's current Mario overload, plus I feel like 3D Mario's should come around once in a generation.
Mario overload? The rate Mario comes out now is the rate that should have been always.

Cow Mengde said:

I swear to God, am I the only one who can still have fun with an easy game? It was still a fun game, it just wasn't challenging. It certainly wasn't piss easy either, the final boss was an absolute bitch.

Also, the items weren't bad. At the end of the day, there was only like 3 new items- the lantern and cape are old items reborn, the likes of the bow and pegasus boots still turned up and the Mole Mitts were a great new item- even the Cane had its moments. It certainly did new items better than Twilight Princess anyway.

The shrinking was the best bit :/

JasonMCG said:

If this is enough to limit your enjoyment of SMG2...

Sadist

DeathbyVolcano said:
What the hell makes you think that.
Don't ask.

I've heard others voicing the same argument, but as soon as you give the argument "What makes Galaxy 2 an expansion-pack, and Assassin's Creed II, Gears of War 2, Uncharted 2 fully new sequals" they'll stop.

Firestorm

The Minish Cap was an A+ game compared to Phantom Hourglass and the godawful Spirit Tracks.
JasonMCG said:
I hope the SMG2 hands-on takes my opinion of the game from SMG: The Map Pack to a day one purchase. Right now, I have next to no interest in the game.
Why aren't you interested in Super Mario Galaxy Map Pack with 120 more stars? I mean, personally I'm not as big a Mario fan as most of this board so I just have a passing interest, but I'd think anyone who loved Galaxy will be all in for Galaxy 2. There's plenty of interesting maps they can do.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Green Scar said:
I swear to God, am I the only one who can still have fun with an easy game? It was still a fun game, it just wasn't challenging. It certainly wasn't piss easy either, the final boss was an absolute bitch.

Also, the items weren't bad. At the end of the day, there was only like 3 new items- the lantern and cape are old items reborn, the likes of the bow and pegasus boots still turned up and the Mole Mitts were a great new item- even the Cane had its moments. It certainly did new items better than Twilight Princess anyway.

The shrinking was the best bit :/
No you aren't. Fuck the haters, Minish Cap was awesome*.
Compared to the other 2d games though ehh. But still, it was awesome* in its own right.

*I played through it once when it came out and traded it back in for reasons I don't remember.

Green Scar said:

Ok, it was easy and boring.

I don't mind easy games, but this game had very bad level design. You can tell Capcom's run out of ideas for Zelda puzzles half way through the Oracle games, and this game just further confirms they don't have what it take to make a Zelda. Everything is far too straight forward. Their biggest "innovation" the minish concept wasn't even fully fleshed out.

I know PH and ST are also criticized for that, but their dungeons were still pretty well designed. I've only played a bit of PH because I don't own the game. I didn't have the cash back then and too busy buying other games. ST dungeons are just superbly designed with something new to stump you every time.

Chris1964 said:
Again, it doesn't. I guess you also see almost every 2d Mario as an expansion of the original.
This is different because Galaxy 2 is literally an expansion of Galaxy 2's rejected ideas. Miyamoto even said this game is 90% new meaning that Galaxy 2 probably even recycles levels from the first game.

Based on the trailer, Galaxy 2 doesn't even try to have its own identity; it's what Miyamoto said--an expansion. Whether yuo see this as a good or bad thing is up to you.

JaseMath

Chris1964 said:
Again, it doesn't. I guess you also see almost every 2d Mario as an expansion of the original.
Yeah, actually they are, and that's totally fine with me. My problem is that SMG2 doesn't look like it's trying to do anything new - it's a game full of rejected ideas from SMG.

DarkWish

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait

Three butts

Three triforce pieces

....!

Eiji Aonuma quotes for Zelda Wii:
"It just feels so natural."

"We've progressed in development since last year. At present, the core areas have come into clear view."

The quotes just take on a whole new meaning!

Swittcher

Banned
KeeSomething said:
This is different because Galaxy 2 is literally an expansion of Galaxy 2's rejected ideas. Miyamoto even said this game is 90% new meaning that Galaxy 2 probably even recycles levels from the first game.

Based on the trailer, Galaxy 2 doesn't even try to have its own identity; it's what Miyamoto said--an expansion. Whether yuo see this as a good or bad thing is up to you.

Isn't that what every FPS and action game sequel is? An expansion?

gerg

JasonMCG said:
Yeah, actually they are
and that's totally fine with me.
My problem is that SMG2 doesn't look like it's trying to do anything new - it's a game full of rejected ideas from SMG.

I could understand this view if it were true that Nintendo had infinite time and money to spend developing SMG, and thus there was no excuse not to include as much content as physically possible in the game.

However, given that that statement is pragmatically impossible, you have no reason to believe that the content in SMG 2 was in any way "rejected" from the original game. (I presume you mean to use "rejected" in a decidedly negative manner, lest your statement become trivial.)

madara

Want a sad bloated thread for those just looking for actual news and not partaking in a runaway thread where even Minish Cap get bashed. Rule number one of neogaf has to be mandatory new threads every time there is real news otherwise this place gets too depressing waddling through 40 pages where "gamers" seem to enjoy speculating more then actual gaming.

JaseMath

gerg said:
I could understand this view if it were true that Nintendo had infinite time and money to spend developing SMG, and thus there was no excuse not to include as much content as physically possible in the game.

However, given that that statement is pragmatically impossible, you have no reason to believe that the content in SMG 2 was in any way "rejected" from the original game. (I presume you mean to use "rejected" in a decidedly negative manner, lest your statement become trivial.)
Then rejected was the wrong word; I'll say "cut" instead, because I think that's the word Miyamoto himself used. SMG2 features levels and puzzles that were "cut" from the original due to time, space, whatever. It doesn't change the fact that SMG2 doesn't look like it's trying to have it's own voice.

JasonMCG said:
It doesn't change the fact that SMG2 doesn't look like it's trying to have it's own voice.
if super mario galaxy 2 wasn't trying to be like super mario galaxy then they wouldn't have called it super mario galaxy 2

the inclusion of sonic should be enough to differentiate it from its predecessor

Swittcher

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
if super mario galaxy 2 wasn't trying to be like super mario galaxy then they wouldn't have called it super mario galaxy 2

the inclusion of sonic should be enough to differentiate it from its predecessor

Get your logic out of here.

JaseMath

Aaron Strife said:

Sharing a name doesn't mean you can't differentiate yourself. There's plenty of examples out there that you can probably think of on your own.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only on GAF will I find people that think Galaxy 2 is more like an expansion, while sequels to other games are not.

Actually thats a lie. Silly people are everywhere.

Rich!

KeeSomething said:
The Minish Cap is a shallow fan game, but it's still better than the DS games.

I really, really liked Minish Cap.

Sure, it wasn't up to the god-like level of Link's Awakening, but it was an enjoyable Zelda game - if a bit too short. Had a real great style to it too. I just cannot get on with the DS ones, as much as I try. Meh. Give me a classic link's awakening-esque game anyday please.

Actually, give me one now. Please Nintendo. I'll buy you a cat.

JasonMCG said:
Then rejected was the wrong word; I'll say "cut" instead, because I think that's the word Miyamoto himself used. SMG2 features levels and puzzles that were "cut" from the original due to time, space, whatever. It doesn't change the fact that SMG2 doesn't look like it's trying to have it's own voice.
He didn't say "cut" either. Apparently they had a bunch of ideas for how to work with Galaxy's gravity and gameplay mechanics, and they never implemented them. After finishing the first game, they looked at all the ideas they never used and started work on what was essentially an expansion or update, but over time implemented enough and came up with enough new ideas that it was "90-95% new," by which he was probably referring to designs and ideas, not content or assets.

I don't think there's going to be anything as complete as levels or puzzles in here that were "cut" from Galaxy, just ideas that never got off the drawing board or brainstorming sessions.

Aaron Strife said:

Wait, what? Sonic is in Galaxy?

Rich!

I see Mario Galaxy to be more of a sequel to Mario Galaxy than SMB2j was to SMB.

I'm absolutely looking forward to it.

ILikeFeet

Banned
richisawesome said:
I see Mario Galaxy to be more of a sequel to Mario Galaxy than SMB2j was to SMB.

I'm absolutely looking forward to it.

SMB2J was pretty much a harder version of the first game. that's the same as Galaxy 2 (but with new levels of course)

Vgamer

Any chance of the price coming down for Super Mario Galaxy if a release date is set for SMG2? I just got my Wii about two months ago and still have not got around to buying SMG. And since its been out so long I am always afraid the price is going to be lowered right after I buy it! Or does Nintendo just never lower prices on their games for Wii even if there is a direct sequel?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dear people badmouthing SMG2,

Punch yourself in the groin. Then, smash your face against your computer monitor.

Sincerely, Andrex

madara said:
Want a sad bloated thread for those just looking for actual news and not partaking in a runaway thread where even Minish Cap get bashed. Rule number one of neogaf has to be mandatory new threads every time there is real news otherwise this place gets too depressing waddling through 40 pages where "gamers" seem to enjoy speculating more then actual gaming.
Meh. I was reading the thread while playing Darksiders and both Mass Effect games. It went well.

Doorman

ILikeFeet said:
SMB2J was pretty much a harder version of the first game. that's the same as Galaxy 2 (but with new levels of course)
We don't know that for a fact yet. All anybody's going by for Galaxy 2 right now is a 90 second trailer from a year ago and some vague comments from people involved in the development. It could just be a level-pack for Galaxy, or it could be a full-blown sequel, we don't know for sure yet.

What I do know is that even in the small glimpse of the game we do have, they showed a number of things that the first game didn't have. Riding yoshi (and the Yoshi transformations), guiding snowballs, an army of shadowy Mario clones doing something, switches that slow down time, buttons to freeze and unfreeze entire planets of water, and so on. Some common elements are returning (spherical levels, bee suit, purple coins), but that's true of any sequel. That's what makes a series a series. We haven't seen exactly how far Galaxy 2 will stray from the original, but we should get a much better idea of it soon. If not at this conference, then at E3.

Top Bottom