• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capps: Epic Not Making An Unreal Game Right Now, E3 To Be "Exciting For Fans Of Epic"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VentureBeat recently had an interview with Mike Capps in which he revealed that Epic isn't making an Unreal game right now and that E3 will be "really exciting for fans of Epic", presumably since they're unveiling People Can Fly's game there. Apparently they also want to share more on the Gears of War movie soon.

The overall video is about how to build blockbuster franchises in case anyone is interested, though it's not very detailed.

Video Interview: http://games.venturebeat.com/2010/02/25/epic-games-mike-capps-on-building-a-blockbuster-franchise/

kuYuri

I hope that Cliff's multiplatform horror/shooter/whatever is was that was rumored awhile back is true and gets revealed.

Mr_Zombie

Maxrpg said:
Jazz Jackrabbit!

Yes!
Give me Jazz Jackrabbit 3 EPIC. But not Jazz Jackrabbit 3D (the old "beta" version of JJ 3D that runs around Internet is horrible and looks/feels like a cheap Mario 64 knock-off), I want a beautiful, cartoonish, fast 2D platform game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oxymoron said:
Doesn't that just mean they'll show Gears 3?
Well, we know they pretty much have to show the People Can Fly game as that's coming out in Q1 2011.

As for Gears of War 3, there's no reason that couldn't show up as well.

Nirolak said:
Well, we know they pretty much have to show the People Can Fly game as that's coming out in Q1 2011.

As for Gears of War 3, there's no reason that couldn't show up as well.

Imagine if their game is Gears of War 3..

"E3 to be exciting for fans of Epic!"

:O

"Epic not making an Unreal game right now."

:/

In that case either it's a new Jazz Jackrabbit, Tyrian or One Must Fall: 2097 or i'm not excited.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Watching the video, he pretty much outright said "We're working on the Gears franchise right now". GDC announcement cometh ?

TheOddOne

This showed up:
Fenix left an abrupt battle at the end of Gears of War 2 leaving many fans of the series disappointed. Then arose the debate that since Microsoft had signed a two game exclusive deal with Epic Games for the Gears franchise the next would indeed be a multiplatform game which would satiate hungry PlayStation 3 owners.

33vdu76.jpg

This was followed by nuggets of information about the sequel to be developed on Unreal 4.0 engine, which were later debunked by Mike Capps. With Halo: Reach being announced for this year most loyalists of the platform already have a reason to rejoice on the Xbox 360. However we might just have another bit of information that will make them exalt in joy. Recently, we discovered a LinkedIn profile belonging to an individual called “Drew Moxon” who has worked on the Gears of War franchise for Microsoft Game Studios in 2009. The icing on cake comes when he recently joined MGS in February 2010 as an associate producer for a game none other than “Gears of War”. There is enough meat that connects this with the sequel to one of the largest grossing franchises for the Xbox 360.

Gears of War 3 is expected to continue Fenix’s adventures through the land of Locust which has now been plagued by civil war dividing them up into factions. There was another piece of information that we had heard some time ago about the developers working hard to craft out a better experience for chainsaw duels. We hope that Epic irons out all the issues that plagued the multiplayer component of Gears 2 and constructs a model that is as exciting and laced with action as the original. With all three entrants pushing their best foot forward this year, 2011 seems to be quite a probable year for the entry of the sequel.

borsdy

Banned
I really don't want a new Gears yet but of course I cannot stop that from happening so bring it on! I hope they do another meat cube thing ;P It would be priddy cool if it is multiplatform too more people get to see what is so great about this game.

Not sure I want a Gears 3. With the Unreal Engine again? Same Graphics as the 1st? They have to innovate with this one if they want to keep the franchise exciting.

Fantasy Final said:
Not sure I want a Gears 3. With the Unreal Engine again? Same Graphics as the 1st? They have to innovate with this one if they want to keep the franchise exciting.

Yes, lets pretend that the sinking city in Gears 2 wasn't one of the best looking scenes on consoles this gen! :lol

I'm pretty sure they could revert back to the graphics they used in Gears 1 and still sell a shitload no matter how boring you deem it.

Seriously though epic, if this is a Gears announcement fix the multiplayer you bastard. It's hard to imagine that the devs that gave us UT would allow the net code, let alone the grenade tagging bullshit we saw in number 2.

borsdy

Banned
Chittagong said:
Gears of Natal.
carlo6529 said:
Gears of War Natal
Thank goodness it likely won't being using any of that bullshit yet
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/epics-mark-rein-interview
Our games are really designed for the controller experience. They're very twitchy. I'm not a hundred per cent sure there's a good fit there, or that there even needs to be.

I could see doing gestures to other player in multiplayer games, where Natal notices if you've raised your hand. I could see maybe using it to throw a grenade. But I doubt the Gears of War-type experience is what they're aiming for with Natal.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'll be excited when they announce more then one Gears game. Like two. or three. And Shadow Complex 2, please.

WrikaWrek

Banned
2 years, would make sense for a new Gears. That said!

With Natal, and Halo Reach, Fable 3 ready to steal the thunder this year i think it would be great for the devs to use a full blown 3 year dev cycle for Gears if War 3, and really blow it out of the door with an Epic game.

KAL2006

Banned
I know allot of people are hoping for Gears 3, but I'm not ready for the 3rd game, it seems like Gears 2 came out yesterday and Gears 1 came out the day before that. I'd rather they take their time on Gears 3, and this time the improvements should be much more that Gears 1 to Gears 2. Also hope their multiplayers is drastically improved too. After all this is the final game of the trilogy and the Xbox 360 has another 4-5 years left in it's life, until the next gen.

Top Bottom