• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

Great OT!

I've only really played Bloodborne. It was a great experience, even though I never ended up finishing it.

Will I enjoy this if I enjoyed Bloodborne? I bought that due to GAF hype and will probably do the same here.
I would be shocked if you didn't like this.

Mutombo

luck is a joke stat right?

There is a (read: one) sword that's pretty good with luck scaling. You can infuse with hollow for even more damage. And there's still some discussion going on about bleed/poison. Some people say it's good, some say it's shit.

Sanctuary

Edit: nevermind. Missed your disclaimer at the top.

This is a really douchy thread title. It's like "party's over, but go ahead and drink the leftovers."

You could look at it different way too. "Welcome to the real, you're welcome for the beta test". Especially if you were holding out for the PC release.

0n5P3ZT.jpg

My game shipped on friday so it should be here on monday!
but until then
T42mjTh.jpg

Mr Moose

My copy arrived yesterday, it came with a comic which was nice.
Enjoying it so far, no clue where I am going though.

My Knight with my first big sword:

DARKSOULSIII20160409.png

It's my first Dark Souls game, but I loved Bloodborne (platinumed) and I needed my fix.

Can one of you lovely people explain to me how being hollow etc in this works?

My Knight has died several times yet as you can see from the above picture, he looks human.

Now I only ever played DSII and Bloodborne. How does it work being 'hollow' in Dark Souls III? How do I know if I am 'human' or 'hollow'?

How do I 'reverse hollowing' (in DSII I used to either fight a boss co-op with someone or use a human effigy').

Are the human effigies (or whatever they are called in DSIII) limited or can we farm them?

Apologies or the noob questions.
You
are always human. In addition, you dont hollow in the course of the game unless you speak to Yoel of Lordor. He will let you level up 5x for free. In exchange you will be marked with a dark sigil. After this has happen whenever you die from this point on, you will hollow. In order to prevent further hollowing, you need to give the firekeeper souls to the firekeeper. She will remove the dark sigil for x souls. In order to remove the current hollowing, you need a purging stone.

This game humanity is embers. You need to use a ember to be summon, summon others, etc. when you do use a ember, it gives you 30% on top of your current hp.
on moblie so if I mistype anything or miss any info my bad :p

RangerX

Banned
I only picked up Bloodborne a few days ago so I'm going to spend some time with that first. Everything I've seen from this looks great anyway. I could play Souls games all year.

Kaname

My copy arrived yesterday, it came with a comic which was nice.
Enjoying it so far, no clue where I am going though.

My Knight with my first big sword:

It's my first Dark Souls game, but I loved Bloodborne (platinumed) and I needed my fix.

That looks nice :D
And holy shit, I love these games' Art Direction. I can't have enough of it.

sam777

Great OT!

I've only really played Bloodborne. It was a great experience, even though I never ended up finishing it.

Will I enjoy this if I enjoyed Bloodborne? I bought that due to GAF hype and will probably do the same here.

You will enjoy this.

I was in the same position as you but I bought Dark Souls 2 SOTFS after Bloodborne and really enjoyed it. There are a few different systems you need to familiarise yourself with but you will no doubt enjoy it.

ymgve

You
are always human. In addition, you dont hollow in the course of the game unless you speak to Yoel of Lordor. He will let you level up 5x for free. In exchange you will be marked with a dark sigil. After this has happen whenever you die from this point on, you will hollow. In order to prevent further hollowing, you need to give the firekeeper souls to the firekeeper. She will remove the dark sigil for x souls. In order to remove the current hollowing, you need a purging stone.

This game humanity is embers. You need to use a ember to be summon, summon others, etc. when you do use a ember, it gives you 30% on top of your current hp.
on moblie so if I mistype anything or miss any info my bad :p

But what does hollowing actually do? What are the consequences beyond the cosmetic changes?

byropoint

Finally! I managed to stay relatively unspoiled since the JP release (didn't expect that release trailer to show that much :( ), my CE was shipped on Friday so I'm hoping it's here tomorrow.

Ogawa-san

I still haven't preordered this, mostly in part for still not having finished DS1. But I loved BB so I might cave.

Friends that have played it enough, be honest: is there anything like Bed of Chaos in this? Or even New Londo.

Also, how likely are you from missing entire zones, like Yahar'gul or Cainhurst in BB? I wouldn't have found them without a guide or someone pointing out...

E92 M3

Best Souls game of the franchise. Everything is just so refined and the game is huge. 70 hours on my first playthrough. And that's with not rushing and not getting stuck on bosses for too long.

What is the actual release time?

PC Version time zones:

Monday April 11th at 3:00 PM PDT (UTC -7)
Monday April 11th at 5:00 PM CDT (UTC -5)
Monday April 11th at 6:00 PM EDT (UTC -4)
Monday April 11th at 7:00 PM BRT (UTC -3)
Monday April 11th at 11:00 PM BST (UTC +1)
Tuesday April 12th at 12:00 AM CEST (UTC +2)
Tuesday April 12th at 7:00 AM JST (UTC +9)

Maybe Yoshi could add it to the OT.

Nokterian

I felt that it would be a very arrogant title :/ I think I made the right judgement here

Love the OT..i played not much DS to my shame but glad i bought it on PC same thing for Bloodborne but seeing how DS3 is since they learned a lot of from both bloodborne and dark souls with new stuff that's why i am getting excited.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
T4hY2Qr.gif

And now back to my mild blackout.
Speaking of crystal lizards, they're NEVER placed in such ways that they're very hard to kill. They basically never manage to flee away in this game.

Sanctuary

Preloaded and ready to go.

I'd really like to do a DEX/FTH or DEX/INT build but I wonder how viable they'd be.

Probably extremely viable, if you're primarily going towards a melee + buff build, and aren't looking at it as a DEX for casting speed + offensive spells. We don't know what the highest casting speed caps are yet, but apparently the impact of DEX in that regard is minimal and not worth being a consideration if you weren't already using the stat for weapons.

If you're thinking offensive miracles or sorcery, right now that's considered "hard mode" during the earlier levels until it gets adjusted through a patch. Late game it's supposed to be "fine", but who wants to struggle until late game? Also, the starting staff and chime were supposed to be the only casting tools that were scaling correctly, and those you found later were busted.

Speaking of crystal lizards, they're NEVER placed in such ways that they're very hard to kill. They basically never manage to flee away in this game.

The lizard in Harvest Valley and the one in Doors of Pharros sucked so much. You basically had to wait until you either had a bow updraded to the point it could one-shot, or have a high level spell that could do it. Sometimes you had to just skip them until later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom