• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Season 3, Killer Instinct has grown into the "people's champ" of fighting games

ScOULaris

ua2iZtL.png

Season 3 of Killer Instinct dropped a few weeks ago, opening up its potential player base considerably with the long-awaited PC release alongside the first batch of new content for this year. When the KI reboot was first announced as an Xbox One exclusive over two years ago, the general concern among the fighting game community was that its growth and popularity would be hamstrung by its console exclusivity. That concern coexisted with the fact that KI was going to be releasing with a rather paltry amount of content out of the gate with the intentions of supporting it as a F2P service months or even years after the initial release. There was a lot of uncertainty going into KI's bold vision for the future of fighting game content distribution, and after its original developer (Double Helix) left to pursue other avenues at the end of Season 1, things were looking grim for this reboot of a franchise that had been dormant for over 15 years.

But then Iron Galaxy stepped up to the plate for Season 2, and despite some very valid concerns with regard to their pedigree at the time they ended up delivering in a big way. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to try and pick up development on a game like KI after it had been started and then abandoned by a different group altogether. While Iron Galaxy continued to support the game with a wealth of new content throughout Season 2, the game's diehard community remained relatively small compared to the likes of its more popular fighting game brethren (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat... etc.).

Fast-forward to today and the game is as content-rich and poised for greatness as it has ever been. While the game launched all those years ago with a meager cast of six, it has grown nearly four-fold in the span of time since then. FGC notables such as Maximillian, Alex Jebailey, and others have recently taken on professional roles tied to KI. The yearly KI World Cup thrived as a community event earlier this year, showing how dedicated and passionate the pre-Season 3 community already was. And with the PC release, tons of fans (myself included) would finally be able to enter the fray instead of observing from afar due to lack of an Xbox One.

So what is the point of this thread, anyway? Well, I'd say primarily to highlight how much stuff is packed into KI these days that fans of the genre often bemoan the lack thereof in other more popular franchises. Here are some examples of what I mean:

• Arguably some of the most flawless netcode in the genre
  • Some of the best built-in tutorials for new players of any fighting game
  • A stage to coincide with nearly every character in the game
  • A unique music track for every character in the game
  • Best sound design (music and effects) of any fighting game bar none
  • Lively backdrops with tons of reactive detail responding to things happening during the fight
  • Unique combo mechanics that allow for flashy, custom combos with a relatively low execution barrier
  • Plenty of singleplayer modes (Arcade, Story, Shadow Lab... etc.) with a potentially expansive additional mode coming later this season in the form of Shadow Lords.
  • Combos are an extension of the neutral game, so you're never stuck on the receiving end of a damaging combo without having options to escape. It's a mindgame unique to KI within the genre.
  • Other fun and unique universal mechanics (Shadow Counters, Counter-Breakers... etc.) that add further to the depth of mindgames occurring at a fast pace during a match
  • Lots of character-specific traits and mechanics that make every character extremely distinct from one another
  • A universal comeback mechanic (Instinct Meter) that gives every character a unique buff without being too rewarding for having simply taken damage
  • Fantastic art and animation, albeit sometimes a little inconsistent due to the nature of this game's history across two development teams

If this thread has helped convince even one person to take a chance on KI now that it is more readily available (and free to try with rotating free characters every Wednesday), I'll consider myself happy with it. I couldn't be more pleased with how well it runs on my aging midrange PC (on all max settings, no less), and I'm so hooked on the game right now that all I want is to see the community grow immensely.

For those who have had their curiosity sufficiently piqued, check out this fanmade online Killer Instinct guide to learn more about the game's systems and gameplay.

ScOULaris

We all know SF5 will still coast by on the Street Fighter name, no matter how much Capcom screws up...

I think SFV released with a pretty strong base and will likely grow into something much greater in the same way that KI has in the next few years. The main difference between the two was that SFV released light on content with a full $60 price tag while KI had a financial model to match its ongoing development.

Either way, I play and enjoy both games, but at this point in time I consider KI to be the fighting game to beat. Its head-start this generation has allowed it the time to evolve into a much more substantial (and fun) game than most of its competitors.

That and I've always loved KI's cast of characters and impactful sound design, and this modern KI preserves all of that while improving upon the gameplay of the originals immensely.

We all know SF5 will still coast by on the Street Fighter name, no matter how much Capcom screws up...
It's not even currently "coasting by" on the Street Fighter name - the only reason anyone is still playing is cus the gameplay is damn good. If they'd messed that up no-one would bother, name or not.

Is it free to try on PC?

VariantX

It's not even currently "coasting by" on the Street Fighter name - the only reason anyone is still playing is cus the gameplay is damn good. If they'd messed that up no-one would bother, name or not.

Is it free to try on PC?

Yes. You get a rotating character to play all the modes with + jago only in the dojo.

Is it free to try on PC?

Yeah. There's a free version that gives you a rotating character to use, which changes every week. Wednesday IIRC

Daft Punk

Banned
I didn't hear much of SF5 after launch. How did that march content update go?

It came and went. Those who were already playing and enjoying the game continued to do so. Those who were already bitching and hating on it, continued to do so. Ironic that KI is supposed to be the people's champ, yet I hear almost nothing about it outside of internet forums.

docbon

Downloaded the game when it came out. Absolutely love how different the characters feel from one another. Probably my favorite soundtrack for a fighting game too.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Exactly the case. People were also worried there wouldn't be room for KI, but it feels so unique that it has grown into a wonderful game.

Well done Iron Galaxy + Double Helix (for laying the foundation).

GhostBed

Wish I could try this game but I can't see myself owning an Xbone anytime in the near future. Oh well, it's fun to watch at Evo.

fallingdove

The fighting mechanics in SFV are some of the best in any fighting game ever, so let's not pretend that the only value is in the street fighter name.

On topic - great thread. KI is a solid game and the sole reason I bought an Xbox. It is so rare for fighting games to be blessed with such unique and thoughtful gameplay. It's not as perfect as the OP would have you believe, but I had 100+ hours of fun with it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Yep. Capcom's attitude to Street Fighter is shit.

Killer Instinct is comfortably the best fighter this gen for all the reasons listed in the OP and then some. Even watching KI on Twitch is more interesting and fun then the others. There's so much flow to the matches that watching other fighters just seems a tad pedestrian in comparison. It's also the most balanced fighting game out there.

Having said that, I really hope they don't have a Season 4 and they flesh season 3 more. Give everyone a stage and get that got damn menu to be snappy and quick.

Moofers

Right on, OP. I would say that KI and DOA5: Last Round are the two best fighting games you can play on current gen. There are other good games available, but those two in particular have the content to keep you coming back. Big rosters, lots of stages, great music, and in DO5's case, lots of great costume possibilities.

Neither game get the respect they deserve, IMO.

Tizoc

EVO would be the judge of that IMO.

Let me know when this game hits Steam and not a UWP or whatever then I can finally experience this cracka.

morpix

The fighting mechanics in SFV are some of the best in any fighting game ever, so let's not pretend that the only value is in the street fighter name.

On topic - great thread. KI is a solid game and the sole reason I bought an Xbox. It is so rare for fighting games to be blessed with such unique and thoughtful gameplay. It's not as perfect as the OP would have you believe, but I had 100+ hours of fun with it.

I'm not doubting that it's fun, but how many people still have disconnect issues? How many people forgot the shit launch? How many people got DC'd from a server on Level 49 of Hard Survival? Lest I forget Survival locking costumes?

All these issues would DROWN any other game, but not Street Fighter, because, well, Street Fighter.

Carlius

Banned
game is very good and satisfies all of my KI needs. the netcode is incredible. just amazing.

the one complaint, and i hope it gets fixed is the dumb combo assist in RANKED. that shit needs to go.

Love the model, hope it keeps going.

Its real nice to see them update the actual engine between seasons too, like the reworked lighting.

MS has made a NUMMMMBBBER of mistakes this gen but some of its models for releasing extra content are great. halo is good, KI is good, fable legends is....oh.....but still.

Best fighting game ive ever played, so if you get the game whether it be on PC or XBO welcome to the KI community Ive loved seeing the community grow in the last few weeks. Also the KI community is fantastic.

Excited for EVO 2016

VariantX

I'd check it out with a standard pricing model. I just can't get with F2P.

Um, its F2P but you can buy everything like a normal game. All the F2P aspects amount to is a demo. It just has a flexible pricing scheme. You can buy all the stuff at once for $60, buy the seasons individually, or buy the characters piecemeal if you choose. Buying ultra or supreme editions come with extras like premium costumes

NoblerThanWork

Neo Member
Yeah, until KOF comes out with their new character, King of Dinosaurs, Killer Instinct has the best representation of a saurian fighter too. Diversity, ya'll.

Very interested in this now after reading this thread and being really disappointed with the single player offerings in Street Fighter V. How much is it for everything released so far? (£)

fallingdove

I'm not doubting that it's fun, but how many people still have disconnect issues? How many people forgot the shit launch? How many people got DC'd from a server on Level 49 of Hard Survival? Lest I forget Survival locking costumes?

All these issues would DROWN any other game, but not Street Fighter, because, well, Street Fighter.

What's funny is almost everything you said is true of KI.

How many people forget the shit launch? The shit UI, the 720p graphics, the 8 playable characters, the costumes locked behind grindy survival play, no story mode at all.

KI is the original SFV.

But KI has evolved into a solid overall package. The same will happen for SFV.

Put out a disc release containing all this content and I'll go out and finally buy this game.
It's just going to get outdated unless they literally make zero changes, which isn't likely. They are bound to do another update, so I think it will be quite a wait until we get to the "finished" product. An ultimate disk now would be pointless.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What's funny is almost everything you said is true of KI.

How many people forget the shit launch? The shit UI, the 720p graphics, the 8 playable characters, the costumes locked behind grindy survival play, no story mode at all.

KI is the original SFV.

But KI has evolved into a solid overall package. The same will happen for SFV.

One was a free launch game and the other a $60 title released well into the lifespan of this generation. We will see in 2 years if SFV will continue to release characters, add graphical effects, relight the entire game and add multiple single player modes.

sangreal

Very interested in this now after reading this thread and being really disappointed with the single player offerings in Street Fighter V. How much is it for everything released so far? (£)

£44.99 for the complete package on xbox. PC should be slightly cheaper (doesn't include KI 1 & 2)

You can of course always buy from a different region too

Top Bottom