• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnozberry

Can you refute what he is saying though instead of being snarky? He brings up several good points especially that Nintendo is trying to be disruptive by releasing it in the middle of a generation and has a realistic chance of backfiring. While I'm not calling Nintendoom, I'd be a fool to assume Nintendo is somehow going to pull a rabbit out of their ass and be back in the thick of things.

How are you supposed to refute him? None of us have any evidence. We don't know whether Nintendo has learned from any of their mistakes or not. None of us know anything but second hand dribbles of "information" that may or may not be accurate.

The only thing you could refute is his claims about VR, which are ridiculous. VR requires you already own either a PS4 or serious computing power in a PC, and then the minimum entry price is $400 on top of your existing hardware. It's not a mass market proposition in 2016.

Make it a perfect rectangle just like the other two and we have a winner.

EDIT: now we're talking!

r0AtCUI.jpg

That looks good!!! I like the input and changes from everyone :)

I would be happy to see this!

I agree on crimson red!

Doctre81

a5fb0475e829c0ae670e9969e5d71b9c.png

Semi custom business pretty much means videogame systems to AMD. Handheld NX from amd still not out of the question. Or this could be nothing at all lol. I see that they refer to a bunch of things as :handhelds"

The_Lump

Banned
Bullshit. I elaborated on the facts that actually exist. Read my post again.
There are real issues there that Nintendo already has.
The competition having more games plus being cheaper alone will be a huge struggle for NIntendo.

I'm referring to this:
Movalpolos said:
Releasing NX in 2016 it will be dead on arrival. 2017 is better since they can grab more attention but ultimately it will still fail because Nintendo will fail to read the market (again).

What is there left to discuss or refute (as the post I was replying to was suggesting)?

Fwiw, I agree with some of your post, but not your conclusions.

Daft Punk

Banned
His points are fine. His arrogance can shove it. You can debate and bring up those fair points but once you start acting like a know-it-all you don't deserve to be taken seriously.

Nobody is seriously doubting the tough road Nintendo has ahead of itself. If they are...they are delusional.

Yes, you'd be a fool to assume Nintendo is gonna succeed, but you are a fool to assume otherwise. You say Wii U, I say Wii. This is the video game industry where the tides turn quickly.

I mean we don't even know what this system is, what it costs, what it looks like, what games are coming, and what services it will have. To say it will succeed or fail is stupid at best.

Agreed, but it doesn't help that overzealous Nintendo fans are already chomping at the bit to have the NX be more powerful than the current generation leader in PS4 or the overzealous PS4 fans who feel threatened that their system is about to play 2nd fiddle to a Nintendo console in terms of power. Everyone just needs to chill out.

The_Lump

Banned
Agreed, but it doesn't help that overzealous Nintendo fans are already chomping at the bit to have the NX be more powerful than the current generation leader in PS4 or the overzealous PS4 fans who feel threatened that their system is about to play 2nd fiddle to a Nintendo console in terms of power. Everyone just needs to chill out.

Well the only rumour we have (and the reason for this thread) is exactly this. That's the possibility we are discussing.

I don't think anyone is implying NX is going to become a market leader either way, but drawing a definitive conclusion that it will fail is completely illogical at this point.

MK_768

And these people are pathetic lol.

I'm not a fan of fanboyism, but this thread is literally about speculation over the NX. If Nintendo fans want to be hopeful, fine. Plenty of Nintendo fans already checking the extremely delusional people. However, excuse me if I'm not empathetic to butthurt PS4 fans who like to drive by here do unload some shit.

Meesh

I'm not sure I'm really seeing the overzealous Nin-fan thing happening. It's just more of a natural surprise being that this rumour puts Nintendo hardware in a favourable light...and that just doesn't happen very often, it's unusual. So yeah I think we're all a little taken aback with what should be good news :) just saying.

OCD Guy

Anyone still think the nx family will be an evolution of the Wii U?

What I mean is the principle of being able to play your game on the go, and then carry on playing on the Wii u controller.

But instead of having the large controller with a big screen, and being limited to being within range of the actual wii u console, you'll simply have a separate handheld device that you can take on the go with you anywhere to play the exact same game (obviously scaled down in some way graphically).

Then when you're at home and you fancy playing on a big screen you just carry on on the actual NX console. Game saves would likely use some sort of cloud saves.

Could the above perhaps be Nintendos "gimmick"?

-Horizon-

What I mean is the principle of being able to play your game on the go, and then carry on playing on the Wii u controller.

But instead of having the large controller with a big screen, and being limited to being within range of the actual wii u console, you'll simply have a separate handheld device that you can take on the go with you anywhere to play the exact same game (obviously scaled down in some way graphically).

Then when you're at home and you fancy playing on a big screen you just carry on on the actual NX console. Game saves would likely use some sort of cloud saves.

That is maybe the only thing that I can think that they might do.

tr1p1ex

They definitely seem positioned to do what they did with Super Smash Bros and make a lot more games that have both a console and a handheld version. And then let you share progress/data between the 2.

MCN

Banned

I've thought a lot about this, and I'd love for it to happen. They could manage the reveal by showing Reggie playing Zelda at home on a big TV, then pausing it to go to work. Once he's at his desk, he pulls out a handheld and starts playing from exactly where he left off, using a cloud-based save state. "Nintendo. Play everywhere".

I strongly believe that will be gimmick.

Play your games at home, and take them to go.

And these people are pathetic lol.

I'm not a fan of fanboyism, but this thread is literally about speculation over the NX. If Nintendo fans want to be hopeful, fine. Plenty of Nintendo fans already checking the extremely delusional people. However, excuse me if I'm not empathetic to butthurt PS4 fans who like to drive by here do unload some shit.
This, exactly this nothing to add except lol Nintendo or saying it's going to fail because of some completely stupid reason like if it release in 2016 it'll fail with no explanation as to why this is so.

Nanashrew

Banned
That is definitely among the possibilities with Iwata stating he wanted to make their systems siblings again. Back in the day when their systems were more sibling like, they often had some games with connectivity to make use of it. It definitely should be much easier now with standardized tech.

-Horizon-

I've thought a lot about this, and I'd love for it to happen. They could manage the reveal by showing Reggie playing Zelda at home on a big TV, then pausing it to go to work. Once he's at his desk, he pulls out a handheld and starts playing from exactly where he left off, using a cloud-based save state. "Nintendo. Play everywhere".
Oh, that's good. And actually seems possible in terms of a direct skit.

Where's ubisoft leak when it's necessary.
They're too busy trying to decide when to delay Rayman NX to.
"Hmm, what month has the most AAA games coming out?"

OCD Guy

That is maybe the only thing that I can think that they might do.

I'd actually like that.

While I enjoyed off screen play, I found the gamepad a little clunky, and it was common knowledge that the cost of the actual gamepad was not doing Nintendo any favours.

But the NX console having a traditional controller, and the handheld NX being able to play the same games as the NX and having the same functions as the wii u gamepad could make some sense.

I wonder if having the same library would be a good thing? Perhaps Nintendos path down the mobile route would be where they focus on the more "casual" on the go gamers.

Also maybe Nintendo go fully digital and like iOS where apps are generally purchased and able to be used across all your devices, you download the software from Nintendos eshop and it can be used on any NX device.

The common theory is a shared library between all their NX devices and more frequent hardware iterations. Kinds of like apples model with iPhone and iPad.
Exactly - this type of model along with an attractive and fresh innovation would be what gives NX success, not how much more powerful it is than the PS4. That's why all the comments about PS4K are moot.

Oh that's what the kids are calling it today? Interesting.
They're actually calling it sixth sense. He also sees dead people but he's under strict NDA so he can't mention it.

I'm referring to this:

And I elaborated on that in another post, but sure let's cherry pick.

I'll go further as to why I think it will be a failure.
Holiday 2016 - stiff competition. That is an irrefutable fact. We are in the middle of the console gen.

PS4 and XB1 sales will most likely peak this holiday with huge deals.
A new Nintendo console (at best) will get one or 2 games bundled with it. Nintendo can't discount a system that is just released.

I speculate that NX will be between $300-$350.
PS4 and XB1 will both be at $300 or lower, with more games.

There is also thriving communities of people that play on PS4 and XB1. It's something Nintendo hasn't figured out because they are too busy trying to act like some moral compass. Even if they change their minds an fully embrace the way modern online communities are handled on PS4, XB1 and PC, it will be too late since most of those people are already vested into whatever system they already have with friends, trophies/achievements, sharing etc.

That is definitely among the possibilities with Iwata stating he wanted to make their systems siblings again. Back in the day when their systems were more sibling like, they often had some games with connectivity to make use of it. It definitely should be much easier now with standardized tech.

The Gamecube/GBA were great siblings, and I want the NX to be an evolution of that.

The Gamecube (w/ GBA player) could play Game boy games on the TV. 4 swords adventure took advantage of FOUR different GBAs.

I want that again, but wireless, and true cross platform.

I can imagine console exclusive but be able to play all handheld games on the console as well.

Anarky

Banned

That's actually what I think it might be too.

Meesh

That's what I'm hoping for. :)

MK_768

And I elaborated on that in another post, but sure let's cherry pick.

I'll go further as to why I think it will be a failure.
Holiday 2016 - stiff competition. That is an irrefutable fact. We are in the middle of the console gen.

PS4 and XB1 sales will most likely peak this holiday with huge deals.
A new Nintendo console (at best) will get one or 2 games bundled with it. Nintendo can't discount a system that is just released.

I speculate that NX will be between $300-$350.
PS4 and XB1 will both be at $300 or lower, with more games.

There is also thriving communities of people that play on PS4 and XB1. It's something Nintendo hasn't figured out because they are too busy trying to act like some moral compass. Even if they change their minds an fully embrace the way modern online communities are handled on PS4, XB1 and PC, it will be too late since most of those people are already vested into whatever system they already have with friends, trophies/achievements, sharing etc.

Wait. Now you think it will fail. I thought you knew? What happened?

Instro

I would expect something like that, maybe a bundle once both devices are out.

Nanashrew

Banned
The Gamecube/GBA were great siblings, and I want the NX to be an evolution of that.

The Gamecube (w/ GBA player) could play Game boy games on the TV. 4 swords adventure took advantage of FOUR different GBAs.

I want that again, but wireless, and true cross platform.

I can imagine console exclusive but be able to play all handheld games on the console as well.

I do too. Maybe some sequels to those, maybe get Miyamoto to make Pac-man Vs 2 (I know about the Luigi's Mansion game in Nintendo Land already but Pac-man Vs was GOAT).

Also if they could add new functions to their VC emulators, then Four Sword Adventures could come back in that form. Cross-buy of course, because both version are required.

Lots of possibilities new and old with that kind of connectivity now with wireless technology. Cheaper too!

-Horizon-

I'd actually like that.

While I enjoyed off screen play, I found the gamepad a little clunky, and it was common knowledge that the cost of the actual gamepad was not doing Nintendo any favours.

But the NX console having a traditional controller, and the handheld NX being able to play the same games as the NX and having the same functions as the wii u gamepad could make some sense.

I wonder if having the same library would be a good thing? Perhaps Nintendos path down the mobile route would be where they focus on the more "casual" on the go gamers.

Also maybe Nintendo go fully digital and like iOS where apps are generally purchased and able to be used across all your devices, you download the software from Nintendos eshop and it can be used on any NX device.

It'll be remote play but without wifi being required. Which is a major plus for me.

Having a majority of the library being exchangeable between home and handheld would seem to be a good thing. Nintendo can just release "more" 1st party games since they'll apply to both consoles. But I still think there will be some exclusives like maybe a very graphics heavy game will be on the home console only.

I don't think they'll go full digital. There are still too many problems with internet infrastructure especially in the states i.e. data caps and slow speeds.

Or maybe they really will go with the cartridge solution. So that you just pop the game card out of the home console and put it in the handheld once you download the cloud save to pick up where you stopped.

MK_768

It will fail comparatively (in its lifetime) to the success of PS4, I have no doubt about that.
What is your barometer for success?

Listen, I'm not having a debate with you lol. When I said you don't deserve to be taken seriously...I meant it.

You've proven yourself to beyond having a reasonable convo with.

Listen, I'm not having a debate with you lol. When I said you don't deserve to be taken seriously...I meant it.

You've proven yourself to beyond having a reasonable convo with.

I was aware that you were more keen on being insulting and dismissive than actually having a discussion from the first time you replied.
But I like to poke at a hornet's nest sometimes

Vena

Can we wait and see what the NX actually is before we decide on its specs?
No? Okay, this is all open for discussion then.

What? Specs are literally numbers from a tangible value that can be compared relative to one another.

The fate of a system in the market is a fluid and unknown quantity that, if you knew ahead of time, you would be dominating the stock market. There's a reason none of us are stock market barons: its is impossible to predict market movements and the "success" or "failure" of a thing before it exists in said market.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think we should be looking at things differently in a more longer term due to the nature of iterative console evolutions. The idea is to make more hardware to sell more software as the software library becomes the main focal point of the business. All 3 are looking in that direction. No doubt the PS4 will maintain a long healthy lead but the other 2 could continue doing fine as more people hop in.

Through iterative console evolutions, anyone can jump in just about anywhere with a library that will in all likelihood be backwards and forwards compatible. The library is the focal point. So you may not want this version of the hardware now, then wait later or buy the newer hardware that will have much larger back catalog of games for you to play and better specs for the time being. And since you don't have to buy every upgrade that comes out, you could buy one of the other systems and finally own all 3 if you so choose.

This is Apple and Android's influence.

Snakeyes

Make it a perfect rectangle just like the other two and we have a winner.

EDIT: now we're talking!

r0AtCUI.jpg

Wonder if Nintendo could get away with a throwback to smaller Famicom-like game cases.?Would work well if the games end up being on carts instead of discs, and they could get really creative with boxart design as the smaller cases would stand out enough for there not to be brand confusion with other platforms.

MK_768

I expected this a while back, it makes sense

West gets the console, Japan gets the handheld, which is why western people dont know anything about the handheld NX

I dont quite understand this. You aren't the only one who has said this, but I'm still confused as to why people think a handheld will come so soon after the console.

bryanee

oh my god, perfect timing, Ubisoft's launch line up for the NX totally just leaked!

wr7M5AI.jpg

Ubisoft was quoted as saying "We are happy to support Nintendo's newest console with Ubisoft's finest classic titles!"

/joke

lol you joke but I would still buy the fuck out of that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
oh my god, perfect timing, Ubisoft's launch line up for the NX totally just leaked!

wr7M5AI.jpg

Ubisoft was quoted as saying "We are happy to support Nintendo's newest console with Ubisoft's finest classic titles!"

/joke

Just watch it happen.

Just watch it fucking happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom