• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: XBox Live MAU up 26% YoY to 46 million

Guevara

Edit: this is Year-over-year, actually slightly down since last quarter (48M)

Revenue in More Personal Computing grew 1% (up 3% in constant currency) to $9.5 billion, with the following business highlights:
· Windows OEM revenue declined 2% in constant currency, outperforming the PC market, driven by higher consumer premium device mix

· Surface revenue increased 61% in constant currency driven by Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book

· Phone revenue declined 46% in constant currency

· Xbox Live monthly active users grew 26% year-over-year to 46 million

· Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs grew 18% in constant currency with continued benefit from Windows 10 usage

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2016-Q3/press-release-webcast

From their earnings report, that's about it unless something comes up in the investor call.

Report only month active users if old

QG7gwH2.jpg

Toki767

From Zhuge on Twitter, MAU numbers decreased from 48 million last quarter (obviously since last quarter was the holidays)

Chobel

You should add year-over-year (or YoY) to the title, because it actually decreased from 48 million last quarter to 46 million this quarter.

kadotsu

Banned
UWP is going to be pretty useless if they continue to drop the ball as hard on phones as they are doing now.

Welfare

So sad that his is the ONLY thing they are mentioning about Xbox division performance.

There is this.

Gaming revenue increased $64 million or 4%, primarily due to higher revenue from Xbox Live and video games, offset in part by lower Xbox hardware revenue. Xbox Live revenue increased 22%, driven by higher revenue per transaction and volumes of transactions, as well as growth in subscribers. Video games revenue grew 9%, driven by the sales of Minecraft. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 26%, mainly due to a decline in Xbox 360 console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles sold.

gtj1092

You should add year-over-year (or YoY) to the title, because it actually decreased from 48 million last quarter to 46 million this quarter.

Crazy I thought MAU's could only go up as more people joined the X1 and Windows 10 ecosystem.

Somnia

Crazy I thought MAU's could only go up as more people joined the X1 and Windows 10 ecosystem.

Uh it's right after the holiday's and it is up year over year by 26%. Holiday is always going to have the largest monthly active users.

jayu26

I may have contributed to this when I played Minesweeper for couple of minutes in February on my PC. You're welcome Microsoft.

gamz

Uh it's right after the holiday's and it is up year over year by 26%. Holiday is always going to have the largest monthly active users.

Exactly. The Q after the Holiday's is always going to be a tad less for obvious reasons.

CRAIG667

I hope they don't let go of their Lumia division, I love mine and am sick of android and apple can just go.

Welfare

So Xbox One console volume seems to be up from last fiscal year for the 9 month period (July - March). Found by SoonyXboneUhh.

Link to this here on page 40.

• Gaming revenue increased $284 million or 4%, primarily due to higher revenue from Xbox Live and video games, offset in part by lower Xbox hardware revenue. Xbox Live revenue increased 21%, driven by higher revenue per transaction and volumes of transactions, as well as growth in subscribers. Video games revenue grew 41%, driven by the launch of Halo 5 and sales of Minecraft. We acquired Mojang AB, the Swedish video game developer of the Minecraft gaming franchise, in November 2014. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 14%, mainly due to a decline in Xbox 360 console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles sold, offset in part by higher Xbox One console volume.

I logged onto my Xbox 360 a little while ago to watch an episode of Ash vs the Evil Dead on my dad's Starz account. So I did my part.

vcc

A number like that would vary more with what game is released rather than total sales. So a Halo game which did MP perfect and had a large sustainable pop would contribute more to 'MUA' than a SP game like QB. Even if the sales were the same.

It also allows them to game metrics by picking different months to release titles on. If they didn't release a game in march, they could next year and claim big YoY increases. It's a pretty stupid statistic to use and obviously they run with this only because their other metrics are probably not so hot.

Top Bottom