• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: How PS4 Neo & PS4 will co-exist

NHale

I doubt they will do that, at least in PVP since that would be extremely unfair. They might make PS4 30FPS and PS4K 60FPS in PVE though.

I excpect PVP to be 900p/60 on PS4 and 1080p/60 on PS4K

But if they do this then everyone that gets a PS4K will complain that devs are lazy and are forcing parity (PS4 vs XB1 deja vu but now funny enough inside Playstation family...) and they are not getting what they paid for by having the more powerful PS4. But at the same time, if they put 30fps vs 60fps on the same multiplayer environment those same devs are shitting on the bigger userbase by having them playing at a very unfair environment.

Clearly this isn't a win-win for developers, and they will end up going to upset one of the segments of the PS4 userbase.

If I had to guess they will do everything to avoid this kind of scenarios until PS4K actually has a decent userbase (~Fall 2018) and then Sony will change again their policies and allow separate multiplayer lobbies between basic owners and the tier 1 owners so they can push the PS4K specs.

thelastword

Banned
I'd wager that Bloodborne will perform at least a little better having the extra GPU pipes and CPU speed without any optimisation. At least, I'd hope.
I hope they get a slight boost unpatched, but we will see, I'm sure DF will test that out. 1080p 60fps on PS2 classics would be amazing too, maybe with some further enhancements to AA and filtering.

If Destiny 2 is 60fps on Neo and not Ps4, I will gladly buy one at a high price
Destiny could have been 60fps on OG PS4 at 1080p, they went for parity. Destiny 2 at 1080p 60fps on the PS4 is not out of the realm of possibility at all. For a competitive shooter, I think they will aim for the same framerate. So 1080p 60fps PS4, 900p 60fps XB1 and maybe 3240 x 2160 60fps NEO.

Well maybe for some MP stuff but no reason for FPS parity in SP.

It takes more resources to render at twice the framerate. It's not parity to keep both versions at 30FPS. It's developers making the choice to utilize the extra power of the GPU in other areas. Publishers will know they can market the visuals of the neo version better to the consumers by the level of detail improvement as opposed to a framerate increase.

Audioboxer

It takes more resources to render at twice the framerate. It's not parity to keep both versions at 30FPS. It's developers making the choice to utilize the extra power of the GPU in other areas. Publishers will know they can market the visuals of the neo version better to the consumers by the level of detail improvement as opposed to a framerate increase.

Well some games might hit high 30's or 40's with an unlocked framerate just now so it doesn't have to strictly be 2x the power.

pottuvoi

Banned
The moment you realize that 2 Tflops of compute rendering could be added to the best looking PS4 games
It certainly would be lovely on some games which are currently compute GPU bound.
Did someone replied to this ?

In Base mode, are slowdowns of regular ps4 games still present ?
I think the base mode will be exact ps4 behaviour, but who knows ..
If base mode works as is without any changes on Neo and without underclocking the system you should see better performance.
If Neo has Polaris architecture based GPU and it always uses the new features like geometry discard accelerator and better color compression, it would be faster even with underclocking.
Does PS still not automatically scale everything?
Pretty sure it does.

All games seem to output 1080p and then system scales it to whatever you set your display resolution.
Whether or not they do the first scaling in their own code I do not know.

synce

So in the future, 1080p30 on PS4K, 1080p20 or 900p30 on PS4... sound about right? There's no way we're going from 30fps to 60 given the hardware upgrade

Developers might as well start giving people graphics options, this is silly

Jefferson1985

Neo Member
Eurogamer: "Neo support for old games is allowed via 'forward compatibility' patching - but this will not be allowed for new titles."

I have a doubt. Old PS4 games will be playable on Neo, only if they get a patch?
Or a patch is only needed for enhanced features?

Sorry for my English.

wazoo

I have a doubt. Old PS4 games will be playable on Neo, only if they get a patch?

Sorry for my English.

Neo will play old games as ps4 games unless they are patched and enhanced in Neo mode.

All new games have a Neo mode.

THE:MILKMAN

Eurogamer: "Neo support for old games is allowed via 'forward compatibility' patching - but this will not be allowed for new titles."

Sorry for my English.

I think it means before October this year current and older games can be patched if a publisher/dev wants to. After October all games must work with NEO.

farisr

So in the future, 1080p30 on PS4K, 1080p20 or 900p30 on PS4... sound about right?
No,.

PS4 Game that's1080p 30 (with sometimes minor drops, just like it is now) = 1080p30 (locked) with prettier graphics on PS4K.

PS4 Game that's 900p/60 (just like there are right now) = 1080p/60 with prettier graphics on PS4K

PS4 Game that's 900p/30 (with drops, just like Assasins Creed/Watch Dogs right now) = 1080p/30 (locked) with prettier graphics on ps4k.

The PS4 release likely aren't going to change. The PS4k releases will just be better. The "prettier graphics" part will vary depending on how much time developers spent on the ps4k mode.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Sorry for my English.

All PS4 games are compatible with NEO. But they will play like PS4 games unless patched to take advantage of the Neo's power.

Keihart

Not buying this new version until i need to replace the console wich almost never happens to me, and even then, i might just go with the regular probably cheaper one at that moment.

I really hope this model to fail just because of how opens the ecosystem to a whole new kind of problems with games performances and early adoption.

hopefully PS5 is coming on 2018 and is backward compatible and they don't just stay on the iterative path.

Edit: Project Morpheus and now project Neo, lol

THE:MILKMAN

Do you think older unpatched ps4 games will work wih Neo?

As Inuhanyou says all PS4 games are/should be compatible as is.

I added some words that clarifies (I think) what Eurogamer is saying?

Eurogamer: "Neo [enhancement] support for old games is allowed via 'forward compatibility' patching - but this will not be allowed for new titles [from October]."

I still think it best to wait for Sony to explain how this is all going to work. A lot won't be correct.

Lemondish

Not buying this new version until i need to replace the console wich almost never happens to me, and even then, i might just go with the regular probably cheaper one at that moment.

I really hope this model to fail just because of how opens the ecosystem to a whole new kind of problems with games performances and early adoption.

hopefully PS5 is coming on 2018 and is backward compatible and they don't just stay on the iterative path.

Edit: Project Morpheus and now project Neo, lol

What mind of problems, and why do you see these problems as being too big for the benefits?

LordOfChaos

The Dual Shock 4 remains unchanged and Sony has actually mandated that all existing peripherals should be supported with no segregation between PS4 and Neo.

God damn it Sony, single digit battery life isn't cool!

Bluenoser

Why have them co-exist? Why would Sony continue selling vanilla PS4 when trying to push new hardware? It makes no sense? The only way to ensure adoption is to cut off production of the old PS4 and force new buyers to purchase the Neo. Otherwise, why bother with this at all?

LordOfChaos

Why have them co-exist? Why would Sony continue selling vanilla PS4 when trying to push new hardware? It makes no sense? The only way to ensure adoption is to cut off production of the old PS4 and force new buyers to purchase the Neo. Otherwise, why bother with this at all?

iPad Air 2 vs iPad Pro 9.7?

Maybe the base model will stay around as the cheaper option, with a die shrink to 14nm transistors that APU would get pretty small and cheap.

God damn it Sony, single digit battery life isn't cool!
This just means the DS4 u have now is guaranteed to work with Neo/PS4k too. No need for another controller. (Good thing)

This doesn't mean Sony can't make their own version of the XBox elite controller that would also work on both systems. (Also good if it happens)

They'll co exist because they are essentially the same console and will play the same games. They don't want to segregate their customers. And having options is never a bad thing. If u don't care about 4K just get the OG PS4 and u can still enjoy uncharted and horizon like the people with the Neo. Plus, the og will be cheaper and thus will entice even more people to join the ps4 nation.

For Sony a PS4 sale is a PS4 sale. Doesn't matter if it's NEO or OG.

Pokemaniac

It certainly would be lovely on some games which are currently compute GPU bound.

If base mode works as is without any changes on Neo and without underclocking the system you should see better performance.
If Neo has Polaris architecture based GPU and it always uses the new features like geometry discard accelerator and better color compression, it would be faster even with underclocking.

Pretty sure it does.

All games seem to output 1080p and then system scales it to whatever you set your display resolution.
Whether or not they do the first scaling in their own code I do not know.

If it supports scaling, and the requirement has nothing to do with infernal rendering resolution, then why does the requirement even exist?

As the days pass, I've watched this thread turn into nonsensical hyperbole. Ugh.

That being said, I wonder if the draw distance for games will be noticeably different between both models. If it is, i'll probably not jump into the PC market as i had planned.

To make money. A $250 PS4 would FLY off the shelves this Fall. PS4 Neo is for the hardcore right now.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pokemaniac said:
Minimum resolutions also really aren't a good look
You do realize that minimum resolutions are a thing on current PS4 and XB1 already right? (And they were a thing even as far back as PS2).

Inuhanyou

These consoles are both PS4 with the same components inside both of them. They want a lower cost alternative to their more powerful model. So they get both economic customers and premium customers.

LordOfChaos

Minimum resolutions also really aren't a good look without having something like the health concerns of VR to back it up. Without that, it is just an arbitrary limit.

Meh. It's 1080p, most PS4 games are already doing it, if you more than double the GPU performance and your came still can't render 1080p it's either an unoptimized mess or you shot waay too high for consoles.

I wonder, if the CUs double, will the ROPs and TMUs? ACEs? Maybe not the latter as they want both to run the same games. But the first two?

stryke

PS4 Neo is about trying to extract as much money as they can out of a demographic with a disposable income who enjoy getting the latest stuff. Base PS4 is about reaching as many people as possible with which a low price helps them achieve. Remove the base PS4 and you delay reaching the cheaper demographic until manufacturing costs come down again.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bluenoser said:
Why have them co-exist?
The same reason they had premium SKUs co-exist with lower-priced ones last gen. Any consumer that buys in is equally valuable to them - but premium SKU is there to entice a different type of consumer (and potentially invite rebuys). The major difference is that this time they will be offering actual added value in the new SKU as opposed to cheap marketing gimmicks like bigger Harddrives and extra ports etc.

LordOfChaos

This just means the DS4 u have now is guaranteed to work with Neo/PS4k too. No need for another controller. (Good thing)

This doesn't mean Sony can't make their own version of the XBox elite controller that would also work on both systems. (Also good if it happens)

It also says the DS4 remains unchanged, I interpreted that as the PS4.5 will come with the DS4. It doesn't just say "DS4 will be compatible with the PS4K".

The Lamp

This is my main problem with it, we're not sure if it's mandatory though right?

Like for example, what are you going to do with Stardew Valley if it ever came to consoles?

Every PS4 game has to work on every PS4 hardware, so if a game doesn't meet Neo mode requirements then I assume it can just be played in standard mode. Unless it's been confirmed that every game starting in October needs Neo mode.

Mokujin

1080p 60 fps always on Neo? Finally, this is saving the ps4, hopefully they patch BloodBorne to Neo because it's unplayable in its current state.

I'm expecting more games at 1080/30 with better IQ (+extra effects) and more stable framerate than games being 60 on Neo.

But we'll see.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Just waiting for your write up.........

Interested on what u have to say or know.

Sorry for the wait work and all, anyways. Notes from a few friends.

As far as the patching of games is concerned it is very doubtful that games will be patched that do not get a lot of post release attention. A great example of a game that would have been in line is Driveclub had sony not closed Evolution studios. He also states that certain games that are released yearly more than likely would not be patched and the studios would more than likely just focus the newer games at a higher spec to showcase the new system.

David believes that games that still sell well month to month may be in line for a more significant amount of attention in a future patch update games like the Witcher III and Grand Theft Auto V. The main focus was on what would be possible through patches and what would not. For example I was told (I have no idea how this works just passing this along) Just about everything including graphics assets could be changed with a big enough patch but most studios wont find it profitable enough to justify those types of changes to older less popular games.

After a few drinks the conversation turned more to the tech side of things where I am if I am being honest completely out of my depth. The general gist was that this thing is a substantial (not minimal) upgrade and could in theory make ports more complicated as the differences in the two games would be obvious if the system is actually utilized.

Conversation got off track at this point with us debating the pros and cons of the thing where yes some developers do think its a bad idea. The main argument is if they spend the time and resources and focus on a very good neo port they should realistically be able to do 1080p with higher graphics assets than the PS4 should be capable of without tanking performance.

Basically PS4 games wont look any worse but if you compared the two side by side if there isn't a noticeable difference then there was little to no effort put into the neo version of the game.

There was also a rant about the cpu being lackluster even with the extra speed but was stated that its better than nothing and there should be no excuse for a game like FFXV to run at less than a locked 30 with some overhead even if they pushed the graphics further.

Were hooking up again this weekend to watch the season premier of GoT ill bring questions if you have them just don't overdo it.

Last bit before I forget everyone I have talked to including Diana would be largely surprised if this thing does not have UHD media capabilities.

androvsky

After a few drinks the conversation turned more to the tech side of things where I am if I am being honest completely out of my depth. The general gist was that this thing is a substantial (not minimal) upgrade and could in theory make ports more complicated as the differences in the two games would be obvious if the system is actually utilized.

Conversation got off track at this point with us debating the pros and cons of the thing where yes some developers do think its a bad idea. The main argument is if they spend the time and resources and focus on a very good neo port they should realistically be able to do 1080p with higher graphics assets than the PS4 should be capable of without tanking performance.

Thanks for the update. Bolded sounds a possible hint to a move to Polaris.

And yeah, there's really not much they can do about the CPU.

Are they positioning this as a luxury model, or still trying to keep the margins thin? I ask because I wonder if there's a chance for a BC model with a Cell stuffed in it for PS3 games. I mean the answer is pretty obvious since they're still ignoring PS1 games.

Were hooking up again this weekend to watch the season premier of GoT ill bring questions if you have them just don't overdo it.
Thanks so much for the update!
I'm mostly interested in the streaming and remote play capabilities. Will the NEO have a better wifi chip? 5ghz wifi? AC wifi? Supposedly the NEO can stream at 1080p instead of just 720p. Is performance also improved when it comes to remote play? Is it more comparable to steams in home streaming?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

As far as the patching of games is concerned it is very doubtful that games will be patched that do not get a lot of post release attention. A great example of a game that would have been in line is Driveclub had sony not closed Evolution studios. He also states that certain games that are released yearly more than likely would not be patched and the studios would more than likely just focus the newer games at a higher spec to showcase the new system.

David believes that games that still sell well month to month may be in line for a more significant amount of attention in a future patch update games like the Witcher III and Grand Theft Auto V. The main focus was on what would be possible through patches and what would not. For example I was told (I have no idea how this works just passing this along) Just about everything including graphics assets could be changed with a big enough patch but most studios wont find it profitable enough to justify those types of changes to older less popular games.

Basically PS4 games wont look any worse but if you compared the two side by side if there isn't a noticeable difference then there was little to no effort put into the neo version of the game.

There was also a rant about the cpu being lackluster even with the extra speed but was stated that its better than nothing and there should be no excuse for a game like FFXV to run at less than a locked 30 with some overhead even if they pushed the graphics further.

Last bit before I forget everyone I have talked to including Diana would be largely surprised if this thing does not have UHD media capabilities.

Thanks for the update.

The parts I bolded are interesting. And are gonna make for some more nice lil debates in the upcoming months....lol.

For example, what is meant by port? And to add to the post above me....will it have external harddrive support?

Inuhanyou

PS4K has double the GPU power...it would be possible for devs to make entirely new assets for it, but since this is just another SKU for Sony to sell, i doubt many will take advantage of that...and really they don't need to if they substitute it with higher IQ

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but doesn't the bolded contradict each other?

Top Bottom