• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: (Rumor) Retro Studios NX game isn't Metroid or DKC. Releases 2017.

"also I just wanna say, Im not saying we won't do Galaxy 3 in the future. I mean, maybe one day! Just not now" =/= "We're making Galaxy 3 right now, GET HYPE"

sphinx

the piano man
what I don't understand is why things like these have to be "leaked."

can't someone ask retro on fucking twitter and can't retro just say "No, we are not working on a Metroid game". is that too hard? is that just too revealing?

I don''t get it.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
There'd be no need to mention Galaxy and the possibility of going back to this style of game if 3D World was just the natural evolution and the future of the series. lt's not though, so l'd say there's a very good chance we get a... real (gasp!) 3D Mario for NX.

Mario Galaxy 2 was just as linear as 3D World yet it counts as a "real" 3D Mario game?

This bullshit has gotten old.

Even if we get a more exploration 3D Mario again that doesnt make it more "Real"

I don't want a 3D World 2, but I also don't want Galaxy 3.

I mean, I'd probably still go crazy for the latter, but I desire something new that takes advantage of whatever the NX is.

we're going to get another insanely tired 3D Mario argument, aren't we

Edit: aaaaand there it is.

Aldric

Mario Galaxy 2 was just as linear as 3D World yet it counts as a "real" 3D Mario game?

This bullshit has gotten old.

lt wasn't as linear (in certain ways it was even less linear than Sunshine) and it still shared many of the conventions introduced in 64 that 3D World discarded, so no it's not bullshit despite how unexplicably grating this fact seems to be for a lot of people.

Neoxon

I hope that the next 3D Mario is a new concept. As for Mario Kart, given that MK8 development ended early last year, I'd put my money on it being Mario Kart 9.

why do people think Galaxy 2 was some big Zelda esque exploration game

like its amazing how people just get so caught up in weird aesthetic choices.

One game you grab a star at the end of the level, the other you grab a flagpole

whoop-de-fuckin-do

Peru

lt wasn't as linear (in certain ways it was even less linear than Sunshine) and it still shared many of the conventions introduced in 64 that 3D World discarded, so no it's not bullshit despite how unexplicably grating this fact seems to be for a lot of people.

How on earth was it comparable to Sunshine and 64. It's completely linear. It's also the greatest 3D Mario ever, so people should stop wishing for something that would ruin the platforming elements of Mario - an open world.

The next 3D Mario they will come to the conclusion that the 3D part of 3D Mario is what prevents it from being as popular as 2D Mario and they will remove the third dimension. When it fails to meet the sales of what 2D Mario did nearly a decade ago they will again be at a loss, and the next 3D Mario will simply be a NSMB game with the word "3D" in the title.

It will again fail to meet sales expectations.

Ansatz

The only sign pointing to the possibility of "epic" 3D Mario making a comeback is the open world in Zelda U. That's the only decidedly core move Nintendo has made in a long time.

I'm leaning towards another 3D Land type of game myself, because it'll be NX' first mass market system seller, so no "Super Mario Universe"

As long as it has multiplayer, I don't care what 3D Mario looks/plays like.

You can't achieve same-screen multiplayer unless it's a followup to 3D World, because the camera is independent of the main character rotating around. It wouldn't work with a behind-the-character camera. That's another reason why I think the next game will be similar to those, for the multiplayer.

brad-t

So you didn't think it was worth spending $300 to play Splatoon on a system with 3 years worth of content but spending something similar to play Splatoon one year in on a console with a smaller gaming library is more enticing?

Yes, especially since Zelda is my favourite Nintendo franchise and Wii U hadn't gotten it yet.

Malus

Being able to collect starbits with the Wiimote was the height of the mario series, let's be honest it's all downhill from there.

tr1p1ex

The launch was probably the best part of the system. The launch window sales outpaced both the 360 and PS3's launches (before shortly plummeting off a cliff) and it had an absolute ton of third party support with Nintendo intentionally backing off their titles to give third party sales breathing room... even if those games happened to have already been out for months on the other systems.

All of these games were available on launch day Most of these being fairly big third party IP's

With these in the release window

The 3rd party support was a mirage. I bought almost none of those games. Why? Because I didn't buy a new $350 console to pay full price to play old 360 games that could be found for $20 or less in the bargain bin. I would have bought a Xbox 360 again if that's what I wanted to do. And saved $100.

And (for me) the other reason why 3rd party support wasn't exciting was that I went thru the Wii shovelware era where I bought a lot of 3rd party games in the beginning just to see what the motion controls would be like and so many of them were half-baked. I didn't trust the 3rd parties this time around and the lure of the GamePad gimmick wasn't enough to overcome that.

There were a few exceptions. ZombiU was an original. CoD was a same game, same day release.

Aldric

How on earth was it comparable to Sunshine and 64. It's completely linear. It's also the greatest 3D Mario ever, so people should stop wishing for something that would ruin the platforming elements of Mario - an open world.

Controls, pacing, gameplay scenarios (some of them flat out copypasted from 64), camera, objectives, structure, environmental hazards, powerups, lifebar... Sometimes l think people either forgot what Galaxy was like or they're being purposefully obtuse because they have that strange complex about 3D World not being appreciated as they think it should.

Galaxy was a more streamlined 64 while 3D World is a hybrid between 3D and 2D Mario. They're not the same no matter how annoyed this makes you.

TunaLover

But 64/Sunshine only had this "open world" in the form of a hub, the courses themselves were pretty self contained, and you still could do some crazy platforming stuff.

Controls, pacing, gameplay scenarios (some of them flat out copypasted from 64), camera, objectives, structure, environmental hazards, powerups, lifebar...

see what I mean about people confusing aesthetic choices

"the camera was behind Mario's back and there was a lifebar, I mean its basically the same game!!!1"

Ansatz

Being able to collect starbits with the Wiimote was the height of the mario series, let's be honest it's all downhill from there.

While the star shooting sections that stripped control away from you were spectacular to watch, they would've been pretty boring after awhile but having you collect starbits with the IR pointer was a genius move that made those sections interactive and engaging, you might be on to something here.

But 64/Sunshine only had this "open world" in the form of a hub, the courses themselves were pretty self contained, and you still could do some crazy platforming stuff.

Sunshine, yes. 64, not at all.

Sunshine actually did restrict you to the selected shine; Super Mario 64 didn't and treated each level as a mini sandbox, allowing you to grab grab most Stars in any order

I just want new 3D Mario. I don't care if it's 3D Land/World-esque, 64/Sunshine style or something in-between like Galaxy (and especially Galaxy 2), I just want a new game. It's long overdue! At least Captain Toad managed to scratch the itch somehow despite being a puzzle game.

Also, Galaxy 2 is an oddball. It distanced pretty far away from classic 3D Mario formula but haven't yet decided to embrace pure platforming with faux-isometric perspective. It's a great game, but for me it's all over the place.

IrishNinja

bummed about Metroid but i'm okay with someone else having a go at it, though obviously i hope more for prime than M

DK can take a seat for like half a gen at least, though. solid games but we've had a few.

Malus

I just want new 3D Mario. I don't care if it's 3D Land/World-esque, 64/Sunshine style or something in-between like Galaxy (and especially Galaxy 2), I just want a new game. It's long overdue! At least Captain Toad managed to scratch the itch somehow despite being a puzzle game.

Yeah I'm excited as hell for it. Though I didn't care much for 64, I've loved every game from Tokyo EPD so I'd be really interested in seeing their take on that style if they choose to try it.

edit: I keep wanting to say something about Retro in these posts to get back on topic, but I seriously don't know what in the world to expect from them.

TunaLover

Sunshine, yes. 64, not at all.

Sunshine actually did restrict you to the selected shine; Super Mario 64 didn't and treated each level as a mini sandbox, allowing you to grab grab most Stars in any order
I don't agree, 64 had a mix between linear courses and mini sandboxes (as you say), but the boss star required you follow a determinated path in order to reach it.

Aldric

see what I mean about people confusing aesthetic choices

"the camera was behind Mario's back and there was a lifebar, I mean its basically the same game!!!1"

lt's not aesthetic choices at all, don't be ridiculous. The lifebar is just one part of a whole that also includes the gravity mechanics and spherical level designs, the ability to grab ledges, the spin attack and the insane amount of air control you have, allowing you to completely botch your jumps and still land safely, the 64-like environmental hazards that don't OS you like lava or frozen water... All of this should make you realize one thing: Galaxy isn't a precision platformer, it's far more permissive by design. lt's core gameplay isn't dexterity and timing based like classic sidescrollers and 3D World then, it's far more of a puzzle platformer with a focus on exploration and "gamefeel", just more streamlined. Constantly repeating "but it's as linear!" is missing the point and failing to analyze the game properly.

I don't agree, 64 had a mix between linear courses and mini sandboxes (as you say), but the boss star required you follow a determinated path in order to reach it.

I'm not sure what you mean; there were often times multiple routes to reach the boss, like in Bob-omb Battlefield. Unless you mean Bowser? Of which there's only 3...but most "open world" games have similar chokepoints at points. And you could even ignore most boss fights if you wanted and still beat the game in this case

To say that Mario 64 "only had this "open world" in the form of a hub" is completely off the mark--the worlds were an extension of the hub, and you could explore both them and the hub in any number of ways and orders, unlike the later Mario games, which got progressively more restrictive.

lt's not aesthetic choices at all, don't be ridiculous. The lifebar is just one part of a whole that also includes the gravity mechanics and spherical level designs, the ability to grab ledges, the spin attack and the insane amount of air control you have, allowing you to completely botch your jumps and still land safely, the 64-like environmental hazards that don't OS you like lava or frozen water... All of this should make you realize one thing: Galaxy isn't a precision platformer, it's far more permissive by design. lt's core gameplay isn't dexterity and timing based like classic sidescrollers and 3D World then, it's far more of a puzzle platformer with a focus on exploration and "gamefeel", just more streamlined. Constantly repeating "but it's as linear!" is missing the point and failing to analyze the game properly.

and that makes 3D world not a real 3D Mario platformer because...the camera was different and there was anti-gravity in Galaxy...

k

thefro

There's something seriously wrong with their developmental pipelines if they don't have a lot of stuff queued up for NX.

Mario Kart 8 was 2014 - Should have a Mario Kart ready by 2018, anyway (although some of these people are probably helping with mobile projects)
Zelda is coming in 2017
Miyamoto mentioned Pikmin 4
Bandai Namco is working on Smash
Super Mario 3D World was 2013/Captain Toad in 2014 (but that was supposedly a smaller EAD Tokyo team)
Retro hasn't released anything since 2014
Next Level Games clearly doesn't have everyone working on Federation Force.
Monster Games has a project cooking
Mario Maker/Splatoon are rumored to be ports

That's not even counting HAL, Intelligent Systems, Pokemon spinoffs, a Platinum Games NX title, or other projects (as Iwata mentioned in his last fiscal Q&A that were talked about at E3 2015).

gamerMan

You're saying that they should just drop all of their current IPs for an entirely new line-up? That is potential suicide. It could save them or it could kill them, and there's very little space in-between those options.

Either way, she's just speculating. Also, she said that the Retro game may be a new IP.

It's not suicide. Nintendo makes the best games there is no need to rely just on franchises. Anything they touch will be successful. Take a look at Splatoon. You don't see Disney just making Mickey Mouse, Goofy, and Cinderella all the time. Instead they are making movies like Zootopia, Big Hero 6, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph. I think Disney is doing just fine. Sure they will reinvent the Jungle Book, Cinderella every once and awhile.

By focusing on new franchises you are focusing on growing the business and attracting new audiences instead of just keeping the audience you have. You are constantly reinventing your business. You aren't recognized by your franchises but by your brand. A Nintendo game.

If you only focus on franchises, your audience will get smaller and smaller. Imagine Disney just stuck to making a Mickey Mouse movie every 4 years. That would be suicide.

Aldric

There's something seriously wrong with their developmental pipelines if they don't have a lot of stuff queued up for NX.

Mario Kart 8 was 2014 - Should have a Mario Kart ready by 2018, anyway (although some of these people are probably helping with mobile projects)

Isn't the head of the Mario Kart team (Konno l think) now in charge of the mobile division? l wonder if this might impact the release of the next MK game.

TunaLover

I'm not sure what you mean; there were often times multiple routes to reach the boss, like in Bob-omb Battlefield. Unless you mean Bowser? Of which there's only 3...but most "open world" games have similar chokepoints at points. And you could even ignore most boss fights if you wanted and still beat the game in this case

To say that Mario 64 "only had this "open world" in the form of a hub" is completely off the mark--the worlds were an extension of the hub, and you could explore both them and the hub in any number of ways and orders, unlike the later Mario games, which got progressively more restrictive.
Well yeah, I can see your point there where you don't need beat the boss to get most of your stars. I was thinking about the path through the boss course, it had a often a predeterminated path at least until later when you get the flying cap and could reach any place freely.

Champion

So uhhh no 3rd party software rumors???? I feel like that's more notable and significant than anything Nintendo has in the pipeline.

emily2.jpg
But they developed MK8 DLC until April 2015. So that'd only be right at two years by NX launch when its been 3 lately. I say May 2018. But if she's heard it then I may be wrong since I trust her, or they may go the Splatoon route of updating the game for free, which I've suspected may happen.

As for the New IP talk. Sounds great. I do hope its a 3D platformer since theres only one good series (Mario) and one upcoming game that should be good. (YookaLayle) we need more.

Instro

Since we are on the subject of Mario this would be my ideal 3D Mario:

-Big open hub like Bowser's castle. Very explorable, allowing player agency in which areas to tackle and where to go to collect stars, with lots of hidden areas.
-A charming narrative similar to Galaxy and the Rosalina stories.
-A mix of 64 style open levels, and straight linear levels.
-Full camera and movement control as needed.

Unfortunately Nintendo seems only to want this series to be like the 2D games but in 3D, so I don't expect them to go much beyond 3D World. I like 3D Mario as more of a platforming adventure than a straight linear platformer. Even though Galaxy 1 was more linear in various ways, it still felt like a big adventure, which is something that has slowly regressed in the series as Ninte do gets more reductive with their design.

Mory Dunz

Zelda is coming in 2017
Miyamoto mentioned Pikmin 4
Bandai Namco is working on Smash
Super Mario 3D World was 2013/Captain Toad in 2014 (but that was supposedly a smaller EAD Tokyo team)
Retro hasn't released anything since 2014
Next Level Games clearly doesn't have everyone working on Federation Force.
Monster Games has a project cooking
Mario Maker/Splatoon are rumored to be ports

That's not even counting HAL, Intelligent Systems, Pokemon spinoffs, a Platinum Games NX title, or other projects (as Iwata mentioned in his last fiscal Q&A that were talked about at E3 2015).

Int Sys just released Fire Emblem and has Paper mario this year. I'd be impressed if they had another big game next year.

But yeah there's stuff like Koei, Bandai, Square (DQ11 is almost assuredly on NX), and capcom too.

Red Devil

they've been slowly making 3D Mario like 2D Mario for years. They aint going back on that any time soon.

Well if I recall correctly, the idea behind games like 3D Land and 3D World was to show that 3D Mario games aren't threatening because they felt that 3D Mario games never caught up the way they should have(during the Wii era it was quite notable).

3D Mario and Mario Kart seems a bit much, I get they're going for software being there from day one but still

Well that is if there aren't delays.

So uhhh no 3rd party software rumors???? I feel like that's more notable and significant than anything Nintendo has in the pipeline.

Perhaps she doesn't have access to what's with studios outside Nintendo and its subsidiaries. But yeah, they should secure yearly releases, Call of Duty 2017, FIFA '18, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Unfortunately Nintendo seems only to want this series to be like the 2D games but in 3D

They don't want this.

They want to convert 2D Mario fans to the 3D games.

Presumably at that point they won't need to make 2D Mario games anymore and can make the owowcreative3D Mario games they really want to make.

ramparter

Banned
Controls, pacing, gameplay scenarios (some of them flat out copypasted from 64), camera, objectives, structure, environmental hazards, powerups, lifebar... Sometimes l think people either forgot what Galaxy was like or they're being purposefully obtuse because they have that strange complex about 3D World not being appreciated as they think it should.

Galaxy was a more streamlined 64 while 3D World is a hybrid between 3D and 2D Mario. They're not the same no matter how annoyed this makes you.

Exactly. Especially the bold part.

One last thing about Startropics, it's weird how Nintendo never bothered to release it in Japan.

They didn't even bother to release it for any of their Eshops as a VC game. Meanwhile Kid Icarus Of Myths & Monsters, which was initially exclusive to the west, got released on the Japan 3DS Eshop and we've seen a handful of JP only games like Mysterious Murasame Castle come over here.

Mory Dunz

They don't want this.

They want to convert 2D Mario fans to the 3D games.

Presumably at that point they won't need to make 2D Mario games anymore and can make the owowcreative3D Mario games they really want to make.

On the subject of 2D mario and 3D Mario.

Last quarter seemed kind of interesting:
From: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212255

Code:
[B]Sys.	Title						Q1 '16		LTD as of March '16[/B]

WIU	Mario Kart 8					260.000		7.500.000
WIU	Splatoon					210.000		4.270.000
WIU	Super Mario 3D World				190.000		4.820.000
WIU	Super Mario Maker				180.000		3.520.000
WIU	Super Smash Bros. for Wii U			170.000		4.800.000
WIU	New Super Mario Bros. U				110.000		5.190.000
WIU	New Super Luigi U				70.000		2.490.000
WIU	Mario Party 10					70.000		1.760.000
WIU	The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD		70.000		1.720.000
WIU	Yoshi's Woolly World				60.000		1.370.000
WIU	Nintendo Land					50.000		5.070.000
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

3D mario sold more than Mario Maker. Which is pretty surprising imo unless there's something i don't know about.

Isn't Mario Maker still bundled too, while 3D world hasn't been for awhile.

Also, 3D world has a chance to overtake NSMBU.

Would that be the first time a 3D Mario outsold a 2D....nvm, 3d land.

I guess that shows a little 2d Mario fatigue. I feel Mario Maker should still be handily outselling 3d world at this point.

or maybe 3d Land and 3D World actually did capture some of that 2d audience.

EDIT:
Did 3D world go on nintendo selects last quarter?

I feel like the later NSMB games would of done better if Nintendo actually put some care into making them, level design aside.

NSMB DS felt special because it was literally the first 2D Mario game in several years. NSMB Wii also honestly felt special because it was the first 2D Mario game on a home console in several years and also heavily expanded upon its predecessor with stuff like its four player co-op.

NSMB 2 and U just didn't have that much novelty behind them. They sort of just felt like 2D Mario games for the sake of having 2D Mario games with nothing really that new or exciting.

ozfunghi

The startropics crap still baffles me to this day. As far as speculations, this was one of the most outlandish ones... I mean seriously... Why did anyone ever consider there being a reality where a game like Startropics would be seriously considered to revived today, by Retro nonetheless.

Just boggles the mind what delusional people want to Entertain on Gaming forums

As far as i remember this idea of Retro working on Startropics was just the brainchild(/fart) of just one poster: AceBannedAge. There was no rumor, no quote to be interpreted as a possible hint. Nothing. I'm also not certain if he ever seriously considered the idea or if he was just yanking people's chains. I think he first started mentioning it in the first WUST.

Top Bottom